Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction / Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Ketchum's Eleven ❯ 03: The Crew at Work ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ketchum's Eleven
 
03: The Crew at Work
 
A PikaFlash's Studio Fanfiction
 
Disclaimer: All characters, songs and scenes belong to their respective owners...
An A/U Crossover Type fanfic...
 
(A/N: I forgot to mention, I've placed in some subtle references and jokes that some of the more observant readers might notice...)
 
*
 
Domino City, the home of Game Corners
 
Tai's Mansion
 
James was already at the mansion as the doorbell rings. Tai opens the door to find Metabee.
 
“Knock knock. Got any Medabots here?”
 
Behind Metabee were the K twins, Eriol, Pikachu, Keitaro and Yugi entering the house in no particular order.
 
“What did they do? Pay you group rate?” Tai asked.
 
*
 
Later, everyone was having a meal from the buffet table and minding their own business as Yugi looks around.
 
Ash, Sakura and Tai entered the room.
 
“Humans and non-humans, welcome to Domino City.”
Everybody looked at Ash.
 
“Everybody eaten? Good. Everybody sober? Well, close enough. I think most of you know each other. But I don't think you've met Yugi Moto before. He's Solomon's grandson who was working in Tokyo.”
 
Yugi waves at everyone around the room.
 
“Alright, before we start, nobody's on the line here yet. What I am about to propose to you is something that is both very dangerous and very rewarding. If you don't like that combination, then you are welcome to have as much food here and a safe journey. No hard feelings.” Silence. “Otherwise, come with me.”
 
Ash and Sakura walked out of the room, then Eriol decided to follow them, right behind him was Pikachu, James, Metabee, Koji, Koichi and Keitaro. Tai sees Yugi left in the room.
 
“Hi,” Yugi said.
 
“You're Solomon's grandkid, right?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Used to stay in Domino?”
 
“Yeah.” Yugi nods.
 
“It's nice here. You like it?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Great,” Tai said, then with a change of expression. “Get into the freaking room.”
Tai pushed Yugi into the room, where everyone was waiting.
 
*
 
Inside, Ash unveils a model of the three largest gaming corners and the streets in the area.
 
“Everyone, this big piece of land in Domino City. Otherwise known as Kaiba's Plot. Together, the three Gaming Corners make the most in profit.”
 
Sakura removes the ground level models, revealing the lower levels.
 
“Everyone, Kaiba Land's vault. Located below Kaiba's Plot, under almost two hundred feet of solid earth. It protects every coin that comes from each of those game corners above.” Ash smiles with a dramatic silence. “We're going to rob it.”
 
Everyone gave the breath of shock and awe.
 
“A typical smash-and-grab job?” Yugi asked.
 
Sakura puts the model in its place. “No, it's a bit more complicated than that,” Sakura said as she takes a remote and the TV shows security footage.
 
“Courtesy of James Stuart, our new worker at Kaiba Land. With some security tapes at Kaiba Land,” explained Ash.
 
Everyone was watching the security footage.
 
“Here's the bad news,” said Ash. “This place uses a security system that rivals most nuclear silos. First, we need to get near that lift.”
 
Sakura points at the screen. “Here, here and here.”
 
Ash continued. “Which anyone knows that we need just more than a smile. Next, through these doors, each require a different six-digit code that changes every twelve hours. Behind the doors is the elevator and this is where it gets tricky. The elevator won't move without an authorized fingerprint identification...”
 
“Which we can't fake,” said Sakura.
 
“...and vocal confirmations from both the security center within Kaiba Land and the vault below...”
 
“Which we won't get,” added Sakura.
 
“And not to mention that the elevator is rigged with motion detectors...”
 
“Meaning that if we try to manually override the lift, the shaft's exit will be lock down automatically and we'll be trapped,” Sakura said in a blunt voice.
 
“And once we get down the shaft, though, it's a walk in the park. Three more guards with Uzis and the big metal door belonging to the vault. Any questions?” asked Ash.
 
Everyone look among themselves, then Pikachu raised his paw.
 
“Pika. Pi pika kachu pika pikachu pika chu pika?”
 
Sakura got what the question is and answered it. “No, tunneling is out. They have sensors that can monitor the ground for over a hundred yards in every direction. If a Dugtrio tries to make a home there, they'll know. Anyone else?”
 
More silence as everyone was thinking about what to say, then...
 
Koji decided to speak. “You said something about good news.”
 
Ash knows it's his turn to answer. “Good question. You see, the Tokyo Commission of Gaming states that a gaming corner must hold in reserve enough cash to cover every coin at play on its floor. As I mentioned, this vault services the three game corners above. Which means, by law, the vault must hold around sixty to seventy million dollars in cash and coin. On a weekend, eighty to ninety million. During a major event like a Pokémon battle or Card Duel, almost a hundred and fifty million. Without breaking a sweat.” Ash looks around the room. Everyone was engrossed with Ash's explanation. “Now, there are eleven of us. Each with an equal share. Do the math.”
 
Everyone else started doing the math, with Koichi counting with his hands. “That's a lot.”
 
Sakura smiled. “Like I said.”
 
Keitaro raised his hand. “I have a question.”
 
Ash looks at Keitaro. “Say if we do get behind those security doors and down the elevator we can't move, and past the guards with the guns and into the vault we can't open...”
 
“Without being seen on camera,” adds Sakura.
 
“Sorry, forgot the cameras,” apologized Ash.
 
“Yes and we do all that. Are we suppose to get out with the money we have without anyone stopping us?” Keitaro asked.
 
“Yes” was Ash's answer.
 
Keitaro looked at Ash, wondering if he has lost his mind or he actually has a plan in his head.
 
*
 
First task: reconnaissance. I want to know everything that is going on in those Game Corners. From the rotation of the workers to the path of every cash cart,” Ash said.
 
*
 
Kaiba Land
 
James was transcribing a conversation between two technicians as he was pretending to do a crossword.
 
Ash's V/O: I want to know everything about every guard, every watcher, anyone with a security pass. I want to know where they're from, what their nicknames are and how they take their coffee.
 
*
 
Koji and Koichi were watching a security guard using the security pass and the sentry at the door. They also spot the security camera above watching the door.
 
Ash's V/O: Most of all, I want you guys to know these Game Corners. They were built like a maze to keep people in. I want you guys to take the quickest exit out.
 
Koji and Koichi were making they way to the exit, only to be unsure which is the right exit.
 
“I think it's this way.” Koji points at the right.
 
“No, it's this way.” Koichi said as he points to the left.
*
 
Second task: Power. On the night of the battle, we'll throw the switch on Domino City. Eriol, this is where you come in.”
 
“You want blown fuse, short circuit or complete blackout?” Eriol asked.
 
“How about all three?” Ash asked.
 
“Done.”
*
 
Outside on the streets of Domino, Eriol puts around some orange cones and pulls out a manhole cover and gets into the hole without anyone getting suspicious of him.
 
*
 
Third task: Surveillance. The security has an eye and ear on everything, so we'll want an eye and ear on them. Metabee.”
 
Ash and Metabee were looking at the blueprints “borrowed” from the library on a computer.
 
“This is not the least accessible I've seen, but its close,” Metabee said. “I don't suppose they have a closed-circuit feed I can tap into?”
 
Ash shakes his head.
 
“This would definitely require someone to go in. Do they employ an in-house technician?” Metabee asks.
 
Ash looks at Sakura, who was having a banana.
 
“Two...and one is very addicted to video games. I'll get Yugi.”
 
~
 
One of the technicians was playing an arcade game and Yugi walks by and swipes the card from the technician.
 
~
 
Outside, Yugi gives the card to Sakura. Sakura gives Yugi some money.
 
“Good, keep him busy and I'll be back within the hour.”
 
Sakura gets into a car that has lots of balloons on it...
*
 
At Kaiba Land, a delivery boy was delivering some balloons when he bumped into a tourist and the balloons flew off his hands into a security camera.
 
“Hey, watch it, bud!”
 
The guard in the security room sees the camera blocked by balloons.
 
“Sentry, we have a visual impairment at the east door camera.”
 
The sentry walks to the spot where the balloons were covering the camera.
 
“Excuse me sir, but you're gonna have to move those balloons,” the Sentry said, but delivery boy Koji was picking a fight with the tourist, Koichi.
 
“Who are you calling a `bud', pal?
 
“Who you calling a `pal', friend?”
 
“Who are you calling a `friend'...errr...bud.”
 
As the sentry was distracted by Koji and Koichi, Metabee sneaks in, disguised as a technician. Metabee quickly looks at his scrap of paper with the map of the corridors, making his way to the circuitry room.
 
“Time for me to work.”
 
~
 
Back outside, the argument is still going on.
 
Koji was pointing at his head. “Ever heard of this new medical discovery? Its call `a sense of direction'! I heard that we are all supposed to have one.”
 
“Yeah, yeah. Whatever, airhead,” Koichi said.
 
The sentry tried to calm the two down. “Please, gentlemen.”
 
~
 
Metabee clips in a bug into the wiring and checks to see if the feed can be received through a receiver.
 
~
 
No one noticed a blip on the security monitors. Turns out the guards were busy playing mini-Scrabble.
 
“Is `Fhqwhgads' even a word?” A guard asked.
 
“I dunno. It's all the letters I have.”
 
~
 
Ash and Sakura looked at the monitors to see the views of every security camera and the ability to hear everything in the Game Corner. Ash looks at the colors of the corridor walls.
 
“Why do they paint the hallways that color?” Ash asks.
 
“Heard that Kaiba has no imagination,” was the reply from Sakura as she drinks a milkshake.
 
~
 
Metabee's job is done and as he was about to look at his scrap of paper with the map of the corridors, he finds that he has held the paper too hard and it is now in pieces.
 
~
 
Ash and Sakura were watching Metabee.
 
“Uh-oh.”
 
~
 
Metabee was trying to find his way out, but the only way out is passing by a technician.
 
“Hello.” The technician greeted.
 
“Hi.” Metabee greeted back. Metabee sees the exits and quickly makes his way for it.
 
“Hey!”
 
Metabee quickly makes his way to the exit and slides his keycard on the panel. It did not open.
 
“Wrong side.”
 
~
 
The sentry jumps up and takes the balloon away from the camera. Koji quickly takes the balloons back.
 
“Hey! Get your own balloons!”
 
~
 
Metabee quickly turned the card around and slides the card correctly, but as the door was about to open, the technician blocks the way. It's over.
 
“You dropped this.” The technician gave Metabee the receiver Metabee dropped.
 
“Thanks,” Metabee said and leaves the corridor.
 
“How's the reception on these things?” The technician asked.
 
“It's great.”
 
~
 
Ash and Sakura sighed as they watched the confrontation.
 
Ash looks at Sakura. “Well?”
 
“That was tense. Anyway, what's next?”
 
Fourth Task: construction.”
 
*
 
The next day, Ash was leading the crew in the construction.
 
“We need to build an exact, working replica of the Kaiba Land Vault.”
 
“For practice?” Sakura asks.
 
“Something like that.”
 
Yugi was carrying some of the materials but Ash pulled him aside.
 
Fifth task: Intelligence. We need those codes, Yugi. From the only man who has all three.”
 
“Kaiba.”
 
“Learn to love his shadow,” Ash said and addressed to the others. “Sixth Task: Transport.”
 
“Hang on! All I got to do is watch him?” Yugi asks.
 
“For now. You got to learn how to watch Pokémon before you train them.”
Yugi was clueless.
 
“He means crawl before you walk,” Sakura said.
 
Ash walks to Koji and Koichi.
 
Sixth Task: Transport.
 
*
 
Izzy Izumi's Vehicle Dealership
 
Koji and Koichi were testing out the different models while James was negotiating the price.
 
“I'm sorry, sir,” Izzy said. “Seventeen is the best offer I cam make for you.” Izzy looks outside to check on the twins.
 
“I understand. They're beautiful vans. Well, I thank you for your time...Mr...”
 
“Izumi. Izzy Izumi.”
 
“Yes. Izzy...like a computer.” James shakes hands with Izzy. “You know, you have lovely hands. Do you moisturize?”
 
“Wa?”
 
James was not releasing Izzy's hand. “I can tell. I try all sorts of lotions. I went through a fragrance-free period last year, and I'm now liking this new brand. I know someone who uses Aloe Vera with sun screen built in.”
 
“Err...yes, and you say that you were willing to pay in cash?”
 
“Yes,” James said, and then continued. “You know, they say that if you wear gloves in bed...”
 
“If you could pay cash, I could probably drop the price by a bit. To say...sixteen?”
 
James tightens his grip on Izzy's hands.
 
“Fifteen each.”
 
James smiled and loosens his grip. “That would be lovely.”
 
*
 
Ash was counting the list of tasks. We've got power, intelligence, transport...
 
At that moment, Tai and Keitaro walked to Ash.
 
“Anything for me to do, Ash?” Tai asked.
 
Ash looks at Keitaro, then at Tai. “Yes, get your wallet.”
 
*
 
Takenouchi's Fine Suits
 
Keitaro was trying out the best suits Tai's money can find and with a bit of favorable discounts from the owner, Sora Takenouchi.
 
“This is very fine material...”
 
“Yeah, Tai was able to convince Sora to have these suits made specially for you.”
 
“Well, its very nice,” Keitaro said, but Ash was able to notice Keitaro's nervousness. “Could you give us a moment?”
 
The tailor walked off.
 
“Keitaro, are you sure you are ready to do this?”
 
Keitaro looks away. “If you ever question me again, Ash, I'll make sure you'll never see your cap in a thousand years.”
 
“You're ready,” Ash said.
 
Ash walked off to Tai for the payment as Keitaro looks at the mirror.
 
“Hello, my name is Hamtaro Urashima.” Keitaro looks at himself, and then tries again with a different voice. “My name is Hamtaro Urashima.”
 
~
 
Keitaro was in the back of a limo with Ash. Keitaro was still practicing his accent and it is so flat that no one knows where he's actually from. Ash hands Keitaro an envelope with some money and a deck of Cards.
 
“Here's twenty grand and a deck of Duel Monsters Cards. Make them last, Keitaro.”
 
Keitaro checks his pockets. “Have you seen my...”
 
Ash takes out a packet of lifesavers. “Use these in case of emergencies. And they have complimentary bananas in the suite.”
 
“You're a lifesaver, Ash.”
 
The limo stopped in front of Kaiba Land.
 
“Mr. Urashima, we're here.” The bodyguards Koji and Koichi opened the door
 
“Good luck, Hamtaro.”
 
“No, luck is for those puny mortals,” Keitaro said as he walks into Kaiba Land...
 
Keitaro walks to the lobby where the hotel receptionist is doing work.
 
“Yes, how can I be of service to you?”
 
“Yes, my name is Hamtaro Urashima. I would like a suite, please.”
 
“Ok, sir. Have you made any reservations?”
 
“Hamtaro Urashima do not make reservations.”
 
The receptionist looks at the bodyguards. Saying `No' to this man may bring some unfortunate accident. The receptionist gets to the preparations...
 
~
 
Inside, Yugi was with Sakura at the bar having dinner, watching Keitaro receiving the royal treatment.
 
“Ok, tell me about Kaiba,” Sakura said.
 
“He's like a machine.”
 
~
 
Seto Kaiba reaches his Gaming Corner in a limo...
 
Yugi (V/O): He arrives at Kaiba Land everyday at two PM. Same car, same driver. Remembers every valet's name on the way in. Not bad for someone who runs a former weapons manufacturing company.
 
Seto walks to his office, greeting every staff member that he sees.
 
~
 
Later, Kaiba leaves his office and walks around the area and meets up with his manager.
 
Yugi (V/O): Offices are up stairs. He works hard, hits the lobby floor at seven PM sharp...
 
Yugi was watching Kaiba talking with the manager.
 
Yugi (V/O): He spends around three minutes with his casino manager.
 
Sakura (V/O): What are they talking about?
 
“All business. Kaiba likes to know what's going on with his Game Corners. There's rarely an incident he doesn't know about or handle personally.”
 
~
 
Seto walks into the Experts Dueling room. He speaks with some of the players in their native languages, including a Meowth.
 
Yugi (V/O): He spends a few minutes greeting with some Expert Duelists. He's fluent in Japanese, English, German, Spanish, Italian and I heard that he's even learning how to speak Pokémon. And getting good at it too. At seven-thirty, his assistant will hand him a black portfolio. Contents: The day's take and today's security codes. Then, he makes his way for the restaurant.
 
The assistant appears and hands Seto the black portfolio with the necessary information.
 
~
 
Sakura and Yugi watched the entrance. Nothing happens.
 
“Give it a few seconds,” said Yugi.
 
Kaiba appears with his black portfolio...
 
“Like I said, a machine.”
 
Sakura watches Kaiba. “And that portfolio contains the codes to all doors?”
 
“Two minutes after they've been changed, he's got them in his hands.” Yugi looks around, then whispers to Sakura. “Let me say this. You pick one hell of a target. He is as smart and ruthless as they come. The last guy caught cheating here, Kaiba not only sent him up for ten years, he got the bank to seize the guy's house and bankrupt...”
 
“...his brother-in-law's business. I heard,” Sakura finished as she eats from a plate of shrimps.
 
“He just doesn't just break your legs, he goes after your livelihood. And everyone-you-ever-met's livelihood.”
 
“You scared?” Sakura asked.
 
Yugi looked at Sakura. “You suicidal?”
 
“Only when it comes with cards.” Sakura looks around. “Now what?”
 
“Now, here comes the girl,” Yugi said. “If she comes down before Kaiba, means that she had one of those violent days.”
 
Sakura looks at Yugi. “Where's she from?”
 
“The museum downstairs. She's the curator down there. But be careful, if she's in a really bad mood, not even Kaiba can stand up against her wrath.”
 
Sakura looks back to see a red-haired woman in a beautiful dress walking towards the restaurant. One look at the red-haired woman and Sakura's face just went pale and she dropped the shrimp she was eating.
 
“I have no idea if we can use her yet,” Yugi said. “I didn't catch her name.”
 
“Misty,” Sakura said.
 
“What?”
 
Sakura looks away. “Her name is Misty.”
 
End of Part 3