Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ The Ides of Manhattan ❯ Shadow Realm's Unbalance ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
First of all, I'm sorry that this is not the next chapter to Not Really A Demon. But I really needed to type something that was completed to get my mind off of an car accident that my mother and I were in early this afternoon. We were at a stoplight on our way to the movies to see Day After Tomorrow when someone rear-ended us. The person said that the car didn't have brakes, which didn't make sense to being on the road in the first place. It was a good thing that we were stopped and were wearing our seatbelts or the outcome could've been much worse. I just thank the Lord that she and I are just fine. I have totally redone this story like I said I was. There is no connection with my fic Teaming Up with the Superfriends at all. I hope for this to be the start of a new chain of crossover stories. As mentioned before, this is a Yugioh/Gargoyles crossover. This story takes place three years after Battle City. I will be using Yami's name in the magna series. I haven't seen it, but the authors of other fics that I read said that they have and that Yami's real name is Atemu. I just want to say thank you to all of you because I really like his real name. This and my hopeful chain of new stories will center heavily on Yugi and Atemu so please don't ask me to include other Yugioh characters this time. That's about all for now.
/ is Yugi mental talk
// is Atemu mental talk
' is thoughts






Chapter 1: Shadow Realm's Unbalance

It has been three years since the duels in Battle City. With the outstanding teamwork of Yugi and Atemu, they won the tournament. Atemu had gotten all his memories back and a physical body, but still had his Shadow Powers. He decided to stay with Yugi instead of going back to his own time. Yugi was really grateful because he viewed his other as the brother he never had. Yugi still had the Millennium Puzzle. The only time it wasn't around his neck is when he slept.
Yugi and Atemu were currently college freshmen. They were roommates in the dorm of Rho. They were in one room, and the bathroom connected their room to another room(A/N: This is the way that the Rho dorms at my school Concordia University Irvine were built. There was a side A, and a side B, i.e. 102A and 102B, connected by the bathroom). It was the fall semester of the year. The college was Domino Tech. It was a great shock to Yugi when Atemu enrolled in Domino High after the events of Battle City. But it was even more of a shock to how well Atemu did. Atemu graduated as valedictorian, and Yugi was the salutatorian.
"I never thought that fate would bring us this far after Battle City. That was the toughest thing we've ever been through so far," Yugi said.
"Yes it was. But we overcame it with faith in the heart of the cards," Atemu agreed.
"What still amazes me is Yami Bakura's and Marik's change of heart. I thought that those two would never change," Yugi said.
"I still don't understand why it takes certain people so long to realize their error. It took Yami Bakura and Marik over 5,000 years to finally realize their mistake," Atemu agreed again.
Yugi looked up at the clock and saw that it was noon. "Well, I better be on my way to class. See ya later," he said before getting the necessary supplies for his next class.
Yugi and Atemu had different class schedules. It disappointed both of them because they were constantly together before they came to college. But they had different majors so they could only have general education classes together. Yugi majored in Business while Atemu majored in Communication. Yugi had classes from 8:30am-3pm whereas Atemu had classes from 7:30am-2pm. The only thing that they shared was lunch at 11am.
Yugi was currently off to his Intro to Business class. Atemu had a Public Speaking course at 1:10pm. A lot of the students at Domino Tech still feared having to take Public Speaking(A/N: Heck, I dreaded it when I took it at first, but I found it to be so easy that it wasn't funny), but Atemu wasn't fazed one bit by having to take it. It probably had to do with his past as pharaoh. He did amazingly well in the course
But things in would take an unexpected turn sooner than anyone would've ever thought. A year ago, Atemu had sensed something a little awkward in the Shadow Realm. It didn't pose immediate attention so he just let it go. But the awkwardness continued to build up. This awkwarndness was due to an imbalance of power. Atemu might have let the awkwardness in the Shadow Realm go for a full year, but his duel monsters didn't. They knew that this awkwardness would lead to something really big happening. They felt the awkwardness continue to grow and could only wonder what was making the Shadow Realm unbalanced.
Meanwhile, Atemu had just felt how unbalanced the Shadow Realm was five minutes before class was over. 'I wonder what's wrong. It shouldn't be this unbalanced,' he thought.
The source of the Shadow Realm's unbalance actually came from deep within the Shadow Realm. Three certain Egyptian gods were the cause of this imbalance. The imbalance started off with an argument. Unfortunately, the three gods never got along too well. Their argument then turned into an all-out brawl. They were so busy fighting that they didn't realize that their powers were unbalancing the Shadow Realm.
At about 3:05, Yugi returned to the dorm room. He saw Atemu with a far off look. "Is there something wrong?" he asked.
"Huh? Oh, it's just that the Shadow Realm is unnaturally imbalanced," Atemu responded.
"How can that happen? It's usually balanced all the time," Yugi said.
"I know Yugi, but something is making the Shadow Realm very unbalanced. I fear that something big will happen sooner than we think," Atemu said.
"Let's try not to worry about it now. From being in the Shadow Realm in the past, I learned that we should handle the problem of teh Shadow Realm when it comes," Yugi said.
Atemu nodded, and he and Yugi enjoyed the rest of their day. They slipped in an hour of homework before enjoying the remainder of the day. But the Shadow Realm would end up doing something that neither Yugi nor Atemu would expect. When the skies grew dark, Yugi and Atemu went to the cafeteria to get their dinner. It was strange to why the cafeteria would wait until dark to serve dinner, but Yugi and Atemu got used to it after a while.
The dark sky reminded Atemu of something that he had lost during his time in the Millennium Puzzle. He hoped to ride the currents of the night sky again. Before being sealed into the puzzle, he was a magnificent creature called a gargoyle by night. He was still human during the day. Yugi looked over and saw Atemu was no longer walking with him. He looked back and saw Atemu looking up at the sky. He walked over to where Atemu was.
"Is there something about the night sky that interests you?" Yugi asked.
"I was just thinking about something that I lost," Atemu responded.
"Can you tell me about it after we have our dinner?" Yugi asked.
"Sure Yugi," Atemu responded before they were on their way to the cafeteria.
After they had their dinner, they left the cafeteria and returned to their dorm.
"So what was it that you lost?" Yugi asked after getting settled.
"It all began when I was ten. I was talking with my Shadow monsters in the Shadow Realm. Well, not all of us were talking because Feral Imp was out in the Mortal Realm being mischievous as usual," Atemu began.
"Feral Imp was mischievous?" Yugi interrupted.
"Yes Yugi. I know it's hard to believe, but Feral Imp could be very mischievous at times. My Shadow monsters and I always had to deal with his mischievousness, and it drove us up the wall sometimes. Well one day, Feral Imp decided to play a prank on Dark Magician.
In addition ot being mischievous at times, Feral Imp was also good at magic. It's hard to believe, but he was just as good as Dark Magician when it came to magic. Anyway, he created some kind of potion that he still never told us what was in it. He mixed it with a goblet of water because we were in the Mortal Realm at the banquet table.
Dark Magician really loved water. He drank it more than he drank anything else. But unfortunately, I aslo drank a lot of water. I took the goblet of water, not knowing that there was a potion in it. But there was more than one goblet with water in it so Feral Imp had no idea if the Dark Magician got the one with the potion in it.
The potion was odorless and tasteless like the water so I had no way of knowing. After I drank the water, I started feeling funny. The last thing I knew is that everything went black. When I woke up later that night, I got quite a shock when I looked at myself. Even though I still stood on two leglts and still had arms, I was no longer human. For one, I had bat-like wings protruding from my back. Two, I looked like a humanoid bat.
Dark Magician appeared in my room shortly afterwards and gasped when he saw me. Feral Imp then came into my room. He felt guilty the moment he saw me. When I asked him what was wrong, he told me that he put a potion in one of the water goblets. The potion turned the one who drank it into a gargoyle, but only at night. Whoever drank it would be normal during the day. He then told me that the potion would've worn off after one day if Dark Magician would've drank it. But it would never wear off if a human drank it.
I had to deal with being a gargoyle at night. At first, it was more than I could handle because my own people were greatly afraid of me. But as time went on, the people of my kingdom and I became use to it. Feral Imp even showed me how to use my wings to ride the air currents," Atemu responded.
"Whoa, so you were once a gargoyle as well as the pharaoh?" Yugi asked. He was very amazed with the story Atemu told him.
"Yes Yugi. I was once a gargoyle," Atemu responded.
Then they heard thunder. Yugi opened the blinds to see the storm. He had gotten over his fear of thunderstorms. The more he heard thunder and saw lightning, the more it fascinated him. Now whenever there was a thunderstorm, Yugi would just go to a window and watch the lightning flash across the sky. But Atemu felt that this was no ordinary storm. His feeling was confirmed when the first lighting bolt struck. It wasn't the usual bluish white, but purple and yellow. This was a sure sign that the Shadow Realm was around.
"What's the Shadow Realm doing here?" Yugi asked.
"I don't know Yugi. But it can't be good," Atemu responded.
It wasn't good indeed. The next thing they knew was that the window suddenly opened, and they felt themselves being pulled into the Shadow Realm. They held onto the bed, hoping that they could outlast the Shadow Realm's pull. But the pull was stronger than they imagined, and they lost their grip. They were pulled through the Shadow Realm.
"What's going on?" Yugi asked.
"We'll find out soon enough," Atemu responded. Just then, he felt funny again. He felt as if something deep inside him was coming up to the surface. He felt something start to push out of his back. He looked back to see bat-like wings. He then looked at himselft to see that his physical appearance was changing to that of a humanold bat. He immediately knew that he was regaining the gift that he lost all those years ago.
They came out in the air of a different world. It was already night there. Yugi fell through the air, and Atemu dove through the air after him. Yugi looked up to see a tan-skinned humanoid bat coming at him. The creature soon caught him and pulled up.
"Are you all right?" the creature asked in a familiar deep voice.
Yugi looked up and gasped. He was too shocked to respond to the question. The creature's voice sounded like Atemu. The creature also had violet eyes just like his. And it also had tri-colored hair like him.
"Is that you Atemu?" Yugi asked.
"Yes Yugi, it's me," Atemu responded. He then glided through the night air. He was happy to be a gargoyle at night again. Now he could ride the air currents, something that he missed after being able to finally remember it. He felt that a hole in his life has finally been filled.
Meanwhile, two gargoyles and a human were also gliding through the sky. The two gargoyles both had lavender skin, but one was more muscular than the other. The muscular one was carrying the human. The not so muscular one had long brown hair tied in a ponytail. You could tell that that gargoyle was female by just looking at her. You could also tell that the more muscular one was a male.
"I never get tired of this Goliath," the human said, obviously a female.
"I don't either Elisa," the muscular lavender-skinned gargoyle said.
Just then, the female gargoyle spotted a tan-skinned gargoyle carrying a human. "Who's that father?" she asked.
"I don't know Angela. Maybe we should find out," Goliath responded. He and Angela glided towards the pair.
Yugi loved the view of the city from how high they were. This was something that he could get used to. He continued to look down as Atemu glided through the clear night sky. Suddenly, Atemu hovered in the air.
"What is it?" Yugi asked.
"I sense something coming our way. But it's a friendly presence," Atemu responded before facing the direction that the presence was coming from.
Soon, the two gargoyles and a human were within two arm lengths of the other gargoyle and human. Goliath, Angela and Elisa saw that this gargoyle was like none they've ever seen before. They really had never seen a violet-eyed, tri-color haired gargoyle before. And what was even stranger was that the human boy had the same violet eyes and tri-color hair. Upon a closer look, Goliath, Elisa and Angela could see that the gargoyle had sharper-looking eyes than the boy.
"We've never seen a gargoyle lik you before. Who are you and who is your friend?" Angela said.
"I am Atemu, and this is my friend Yugi. Yugi may look small, but he is 18-years old. I am a gargoyle only at night though," Atemu responded.
"Father, Demona is human during the day and gargoyle at night too," Angela said.
"Who's Demona? And for that matter, where are we?" Yugi asked.
Goliath, Elisa and Angela were shocked after hearing those questions. Any gargoyle or human in Manhattan should know Demona. Gargoyle and human alike still had trouble dealing with her. But these two haven't even heard of her.
"You're not from here are you?" Elisa asked.
"No we aren't. We are from another world," Atemu responded.
"Well, this is Manhattan Island. And Demona is a thorn in just about everyone's side," Elisa said.
"What do you mean?" Yugi asked.
"She was once my second-in-command but that was over a thousand years ago. She once had a warm heart, but her heart had become cold after most of my clan was destroyed those thousand years ago," Goliath responded.
"Can you tell us about it?" Atemu asked.
"Yes. We need to get back to the castle first though," Goliah responded. He and Angela led Atemu to the castle.
They made it to the castle in about half an hour. Atemu and Yugi saw that it was a castle, but it was on top of a gigantic building. Goliath, Angela and Atemu soon landed. Goliath put Elisa down, and Atemu put Yugi down before they and Angela went inside.
"What is this place?" Yugi asked.
"This is Castle Wyvern, even though it is now on a skyscraper," Angela responded.
Then Yugi and Atemu saw other gargoyles and humans. The other gargoyles and humans smiled upon seeing Goliath, Angela and Elisa. But they frowned in confusion upon seeing the new gargoyle.
"Who is the new gargoyle?" a light-skinned orange-haired woman asked.
"Foxe, this is Atemu, and the human young adult is his friend Yugi," Goliath responded.
Everyone else gasped. Yugi looked like he was only around 10 years of age. But they soon regained their composure.
"Nice to meet you. My name is Lexington. But my friends call me Lex," a small yellow bat-like gargoyle said.
"My name is Broadway," a chubby aqua gargoyle said.
"And I'm Brooklyn," a red gargoyle with white hair added.
"I'm Hudson an' this four-legged beast is Bronx," an elderly gargoyle with white hair added.
"My name is David Xanitos. The blonde with glasses is Owen, and the young baby is Foxe's and my son Alexander," a dark-skinned man with black hair finished.
"So how are you a gargoyle at night and human at day?" Angela asked.
"It was really an accident," Atemu responded beofre telling them what he told Yugi.
The others were very fascinated by the story. Then Goliath told Atemu and Yugi the story of how Demona changed from good to bad. After the story was finished, Yugi and Atemu were speechless. They could't find anything to say at all. Atemu had sensed something off about one of the humans since landing at the castle. His sense led him to Owen.
"You're not human are you Owen?" Atemu asked.
"No I am not," Owen responded before becoming what he really was. "I am really Puck, a child of Avalon," he added before going back into disguise again(A/N: In this story, Puck still has all his powers even though he was assigned to be baby Alexander's guardian).
The others were absolutely shocked at what they heard. Atemu had known that Owen wasn't human. Everyone except those living in the castle just though that Owen was just plain Owen.
"How did you know?" Lexington asked.
"Even as a human, I'm really not ordinary. I have magic flowing through my veins known as Shadow Magic. Not much can go unnoticed around me. The Shadow Magic flowing through me heightens my senses," Atemu responded.
Atemu and Yugi spent the rest of the night at Castle Wyvern. A few minutes before dawn, the gargoyles went outside and took their places to sleep. They each struck a pose before turning to stone when the sunlight touched them. Atemu simply turned back into a human. But unlike Demona, he didn't scream in pain.
Xanitos and the other humans couldn't believe their eyes. As a human, Atemu looked almost exactly like Yugi. But Atemu had spikier hair and lightning-shaped bangs in the middle of his hair. He also wore the same clothing as Yugi, but a little darker. In human form, Atemu was only 6" taller than Yugi, but that height difference had increased to 1'6" while Atemu was in gargoyle form.
"If you didn't say that you were just friends, I would've assumed that your were twins," Foxe said.
"That's what everyone who sees us say. A lot of people still get us confused when they see us," Yugi said.
"How can you look that much alike and not be related," Elisa asked.
Then Yugi and Atemu took turns explaining it. After they finished explaining it, the others were amazed. Atemu was once a pharaoh of Egypt, and that was thousands of years ago. Now that was something that you didn't see everyday. Yugi yawned loudly. He didn't know how he was able to stay up all night but he was very tired now. Xanitos led Yugi to the bedroom and went back outside after Yugi was asleep in the bed.
"So, you say your soul was alive for all those years even though your body wasn't?" Owen asked.
"Yes. When Yugi assembled the puzzle, I became part of him. We've had our share of tough spots but we've always made it through. Mow as you can see, I have a body of my own," Atemu responded. He couldn't help but wonder why the Shadow Realm sent him and Yugi here and what the cause was. But he knew that he and Yugi could expect tough days ahead because nothing is always peaceful for long.




Well, here's the totally remodeled chapter one of this story. All those looking forward to reading the next chapter to Not Really A Demon, I'm about 1/2 way done with it and will post it as soon as possible. That will most definitely be the next story to be updated. Moving right along, preview for Chapter 2: The Encounter with Demona: Demona somehow hears about the new gargoyle and wants to meet him/her in hopes that the gargoyle hates humans as much as she does. But when she finds out about this gargoyle, Yugi becomes an immediate target. Can Atemu and the others keep Yugi safe from Demona, the most powerful gargoyle in Manhattan? Stay tuned.