Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ The Ides of Manhattan ❯ Encounter with Demona ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Recap: It has been three years since the Battle City tournament. Atemu had gotten his own body and chose to stay with Yugi. They are currently freshmen at Domino Tech. Through some reflections and recollections of the past, Yugi found out that Atemu was once a gargoyle. But an imbalance in the Shadow Realm sent them to another world. On the way there, Atemu regained his gift as a gargoyle.
/ is Yugi mental talk
// is Atemu mental talk
' is thoughts






Chapter 2: Encounter with Demona

It is now high noon. The gargoyles and Yugi are still sleeping the day away. The only exception is that Yugi isn't asleep in stone. Atemu watched over Yugi as Yugi slept. Now that Atemu was gargoyle by night once more, he didn't have the need to sleep again. In other words, Atemu was active during the night as a gargoyle, but he was also active during the day as a human. It was this advantage that would prove itself pretty soon. Foxe, Xanitosa and Owen then came into the room.
"Can I ask you something Atemu?" Foxe asked.
"Yes go ahead," Atemu responded.
"How and why did you and Yugi get here in the first place?" Foxe asked.
"Why we got here is a very good question. Yugi and I don't know why we were sent here. I can answer how we got here though. We were just in our dorms because we are college freshmen in our world. We heard a clasp of thunder, suggesting a thunderstorm. Yugi opened the blinds to watch it.
He used to be scared to death of thunderstorms. But as time went on, he became less scared of them. Now he enjoys them. Anyway, the first lightning strike wasn't the normal bluish white. It was yellow and purple. The next thing that happened was that Yugi and I got pulled through the Shadow Realm. While traveling through the realm, I regained my ability to become a gargoyle at night. Then we ended up here," Atemu responded.
"What is the Shadow Realm?" Owen asked.
"The Shadow Realm is a dark place. It is a place where duel monsters live. It is also a place of punishment. When someone commits a serious crime, he/she can be sent to the Shadow Realm. I've sent many criminals to the Shadow Realm," Atemu responded.
"Can anyone be in the Shadow Realm?" Xanitos asked.
"The answer to that question is no. Not all can survive for long in the Shadow Realm. That's because the Shadow Realm is also a place of powerful magic. In order to be able to survive, you must have Shadow Magic. But having Shadow Magic is one thing. You had to be strong in it to be able to handle other things.
In my time, Duel Monsters were known as the Shadow Games. You had to be strong in Shadow Magic in order to be able to summon the Shadow Monsters. I was and still am the strongest in Shadow Magic. I haven't used my powers lately because there wasn't a need for them. But I have a feeling that I'll have to use them very soon," Atemu responded.
Foxe, Xanitos and Owen were amazed after all they heard. Owen could feel the power radiating through Atemu. Foxe also felt Atemu's power. After the incident with Lord Oberon, Foxe wanted to strengthen the magic that was still in here so she secretly trained with Puck. She got better everyday.
"Your power is like none I've ever felt before," Foxe said as Owen nodded.
"I agree. I've felt beings with strong magic before. But you make them look like ants," Owen added.
"Like I said last night, I'm really not ordinary as a human or gargoyle," Atemu said.
Foxe went outside to check on the gargoyles, and Xanitos and Owen went back into the business room. Atemu continued to watch over Yugi. Meanwhile, Elisa had come into the building and was speaking to Xanitos.
"Ah Elisa, how are you this afternoon?" Xanitos asked.
"I'm beat already," Elisa responded, earning a chuckle out of Xanitos.
"So, how are our new guests?" she asked.
"They're just fine. Yugi's still sleeping, and Atemu is watching over him," Xanitos responded.
"I think I'll go see them," Elisa said. She went to the elevator. A few minutes later, she reached the top floor. She was just about in the hallway when she heard an explosion and a crash. She raced to the door. She got her gun ready and slowly opened the door. She could barely believe what she saw.
Atemu was holding his own against the intruders, who so happened to be Quarrymen. Foxe was also doing pretty well against them. Like Atemu, she sensed the approaching danger. She then made the gargoyles invisible and undetectable. One of the Quarrymen aimed and fired at Yugi, who was awake when he heard the explosion.
"Oh no you don't!" Atemu shouted. He stretched his hand out.
The beam of light stopped in its tracks. Atemu then flicked his wrist in the Quarryman's direction, and the laser beam streaked right back at the gun it was fired from, disarming the Quarryman. But the Quarryman wasn't about to give up. He pulled out a dagger and threw it at Yugi. But Atemu caught the dagger by the hilt. Atemu's hand then glowed with dark energy, and the dagger melted away into nothing.
"I think it's time to show you why it's not a good idea to threaten my friends or me," Atemu said.
The Quarryman looked in confusion. Atemu stretched out his hand again, his hand still glowing with dark energy. He pointed his palm towards the Quarryman. Yugi knew what was happening. After the two attempts on his life, he didn't even thing about stopping what was about to happen.
"What are you about to do?" Elisa asked.
"You'll see Elisa," Atemu responded.
Elisa was taken back. She hadn't introduced herself to him yet. 'How did he know my name? I didn't get to tell him yet,' she thought.
"You can't tell me what I can't do you little brat. I'll kill you," the Quarryman said, throwing another dagger for Atemu.
Atemu narrowed his eyes, and the dagger turned to dust. Then a third eye appeared on his forehead, glowing dangerously.
"If you had common sense, you wouldn't have done that. Now you must pay for your mistakes. Mind Crush!" he said, firing off the dark energy.
The Quarryman screamed as the dark magic attacked his mind. Then he fell to the ground. He would not remember anything about being one of the Quarrymen.
"He won't remember a thing when he wakes up. He won't even remember that he was a Quarryman. That was being merciful because I could've also sent him to the Shadow Realm. But I didn't put the power needed into the Mind Crush because I felt merciful," Atemu said. He turned towards the other Quarrymen. "I don't know where you came from, but you better return there. I may not be as merciful to you as I was to your former partner. Don't even think about taking him, he'll forever see you as an enemy."
The other Quarrymen left. They knew not to try anything else to Atemu after seeing what he did to their former colleague. Foxe then repaired the damaged room. When the Quarrymen were out of sight, then she removed her spell off the gargoyles. Yugi was still tired and went back to sleep.
"That was a close one," Foxe said. She snapped her fingers, and the former Quarryman disappeared.
"Yes it was. You handled yourself well though," Atemu said.
"You did very well yourself," Foxe said.
"How did you know my name though? I never got to introduce myself to you," Elisa said.
"When I'm using my Shadow Magic, I can read a person's thoughts. You said your name in your mind when you were thinking to yourself on how to handle the situation," Atemu said.
"So can you read thoughts all the time?" Elisa asked.
"No I can't. I can only do it when I tap into my Shadow Magic. Yugi and I share a mental bond. We can talk to each other mentally. It's thought talk if you will. But sometimes, Yugi doesn't want all his thoughts to get to me. That's when he creates a mental block. That way, he can have secrecy when he wants it. That is the same for me as well," Atemu responded.
"What was that you did to the guy anyway?" Foxe asked.
"That is a dark attack called the Mind Crush. It is a dark wave of energy that goes into the mind. The minimum is that the person will get amnesia. Depending on how serious the charge against the person, the worst can be that the person is sent to the Shadow Realm. I only gave the guy amnesia because I felt merciful. However, if I see this happen to another innocent person, I will send the offender straight to the Shadow Realm," Atemu responded.
The rest of the day was uneventful after the Quarrymen strike. But some more unwanted attention would soon arise. Dominique Destine a.k.a. Demona always kept tabs on the Quarrymen. She hired spies to get information. The information she got this time was something that had her full attention.
'So there is a magical kid at the Xanitos building. He could be a major threat to me. I must take him and his friend out,' Dominique thought. She looked out her window and saw the sun getting low. 'I better go over there before the sun sets.' She made her way to a nearby skyscraper. She climbed to the very top.
Atemu had awakened Yugi, and they went out to watch the gargoyles wake up. The sun's light had vanished beneath the clouds, and the stone on the gargoyles began to crack. A few moments later, the stone flew off the gargoyles, as if it was an explosion, and the gargoyles roared. That really scared Yugi.
"Don't be scared Yugi. That's just their way of waking up," Atemu said.
Yugi nodded, and the gargoyles greeted him and Atemu. They were shocked to see how much Atemu and Yugi looked alike when Atemu was in human form. Xanitos then told them what Yugi and Atemu told him. Then everyone watched as Atemu began his transformation into a gargoyle.
What Demona was seeing had really amazed her. She saw wings come out of Atemu's back. Then she saw Atemu's body changing into that of a humanoid bat. Atemu had turned into a gargoyle. She then felt the pain of her transformation. She did her best not to scream in pain or she would give herself away. The transformation was complete a few moments later.
'How can he become a gargoyle?' Demona thought. 'And he didn't look in pain. It's like it's natural for him.' She didn't know how right she was.
"My daughter and I didn't get to introduce ourselves to you last night. I am Goliath, and the female version of me on my right here is Angela," the purple muscular gargoyle said.
"So, did you have a peaceful day?" Broadway asked.
"Except for when some group of people who called themselves Quarrymen attacked, yes we did," Atemu, responded.
"What happened?" Angela asked.
Atemu and Foxe took turns explaining what happened.
"Thank you for protecting us Foxe," Goliath said.
"It was no problem Goliath," Foxe said.
"You're getting better with your magic," Owen said. He, Foxe and Atemu then grew tense.
"What is it?" Yugi asked.
"Someone's watching us nearby," Owen, Foxe and Atemu chorused together.
"Fuminos Venite!" a female voice shouted.
Atemu turned around just in time to see a thunderbolt streaking for Yugi. "Yugi, look out!" he shouted.
Yugi turned around and saw the thunderbolt. He quickly ducked as the thunderbolt sailed over his head. He then stood back up. "Where did that come from?" he asked.
Atemu then scooped up Yugi and quickly glided off the building. Yugi saw another thunderbolt strike the area where he just stood. Now he really wanted to know where the thunderbolt came from. Atemu glided in the direction that the thunderbolt came and soon saw a female blue-skinned gargoyle with red hair.
The female gargoyle now had a better look at the human turned gargoyle. He had tan skin. But what really confused her were the gargoyle's tri-color hair and violet eyes. She had never seen a gargoyle like that before. She also had a better look at the human in the gargoyle's arms. The human had the same tri-color hair and violet eyes.
"Who are you and how can you become a gargoyle?" Demona asked.
"I am Atemu," Atemu responded. "How I can become a gargoyle is none of your concern."
"Anyone who teams up with humans in an enemy of mine," Demona said.
"Well then, I'm glad to be your enemy. I will not let you harm Yugi or the innocent humans of this city," Atemu said.
"There are no innocent humans," Demona argued.
"Yes there are. You're just too blinded by your hate for them to see it," Atemu said.
That comment enraged Demona. She roared in anger. "I'll show you hate. Fuminos Venite!" she said, aiming a thunderbolt at Atemu.
Atemu glided out of the way. But Demona just fired off one after another. Atemu peformed evasive maneuvers to escape each one. But Atemu was getting irritated. He used his Shadow Magic to create a shield over him and Yugi. Now the thunderbolts just bounced off the shied.
"Now it's time for you to feel a sample of my power," Atemu said. He narrowed his eyes, sending Demona flying to the top of a skyscraper three miles away. He then headed back for the castle and landed next to Brooklyn before putting Yugi down.
"Who was that?" Lex asked.
"That was Demona. She'll be after Yugi now. We'll have to all be on our guard. I showed her a sample of my power, but she'll most likely try something," Atemu responded.
"Yes she will. Once Demona is focused on something, she never gives up," Goliath said.
"Let's worry about that later though. Let's try to have some peace tonight," Yugi said.
The others nodded. But this night wouldn't be that peaceful at all. Three miles away, Demona had recovered from Atemu's attack. She was angrier now. She would find a way to kill Atemu.
"I'm going to kill that freakish gargoyle. But I'll kill his little human friend first. No one humiliates me like this and gets away with it," Demona said angrily. She walked over to the edge of the building and glided off, heading towards the castle.
Meanwhile, Yugi and Lext were playing with little Alex. Alex had taken a liking to Yugi and Atemu right away. Lex was giving Alex a piggyback ride while Yugi made funny faces at Alex. Alex was giggling and making all kinds of happy sounds. The others smiled at the three.
"You're really good with him Yugi. I'm surprised," Foxe said.
"I've played with young children in my world. I was amazed to find out how fast they really liked me," Yugi said.
Atemu then picked Alex off of Lex's back. Alex yawned and snuggled into Atemu's arms.
"Looks like Alex needs a nap," Xanitos said.
Atemu sat down with Alext still in his arms. He smiled at the little child. "He had quite a bit of energy when he wants to," he said.
"Yeah, he can be a lot work sometimes. But we find a way to handle it," Owen said.
Atemu then put Alex in a crib before walking back over to Yugi. Then he wrapped an arm around Yugi and lay down flat on the ground. The others saw a fireball stream over Yugi and Atemu's heads. The fireball was aimed for Yugi. Atemu stood up and helped Yugi up.
"Are you all right?" Atemu asked.
"I'm fine," Yugi responded.
Just as suddenly, Atemu grabbed Yugi and jumped up. The others saw another fireball go under them. The fireball was aimed right where Yugi was standing again. Atemu had an irritated look on his face. He knew who fired off the fireballs. Someone was really testing his patientce right now.
"Demona is back for more," Atemu said.
"He's right," Foxe and Owen confirmed.
Then another fireball streaked for Yugi and Atemu. Yugi saw it couldn't get himself and Atemu out of the way. It was coming at them much faster than the other two.
"Yugi, Atemu, look out!" Angela shouted. She pushed them out of the way. She wasn't so fortunate.
The fireball directly struck her. She fell to the ground.
"Angela!" everyone cried.
Demona had a guilty look on her face. Even though she didn't like the other gargoyles, she wouldn't intentionally hurt her own daughter. She somehow had the heart to not include Angela in any more of her plots. "What have I done?" she asked. She then fled the scene. She didn't care that Yugi was still alive after what happened to her daughter.
"What do we do?" Broadway asked.
"Atemu can help," Yugi responded.
"How can he? Does he have the ability to heal?" Goliath asked.
"I don't, but I know someone who does," Atemu responded. "Mystic, come forth. I need you," he called out.
A blue light shone through the room. Then a woman started walking through the light. But this woman had blue skin and long light brown hair. She opened her sapphire-colored eyes. She grew concerned upon seeing the injured gargoyle.
"What happened my lord?" Mystic asked.
"Angela got hurt protecting Atemu and me. A rogue blue-skinned red-haired gargoyle named Demona sent a large fireball our way. It came at us too fast for me to react. Angela pushed us out of the way, but was in the line of fire. She then got hit," Yugi responded.
Mystic then walked over to Angela. "Is this Angela?" she asked.
"Yes Mystic," Atemu responded.
Mystic then began chanting. Angela became surrounded in a blue glow. The others watched in awe as Angela's wounds began closing. A few moments later, Angela's wounds were completely healed. She regained consciousness. She saw Mystic looking at her.
"Who are you? What are you?" Angela asked.
"My name is Mystic. I am a Mystical Elf," Mystic responded.
"Are you all right Angela?" Goliath asked.
"Yes I am. Thanks to Mystic," Angela responded.
"Thank you Mystic," Yugi and Atemu said.
"You're welcome my masters," Mystic said before disappearing.
"I guess that we have some more explaining to do," Yugi said.
The others nodded. Yugi and Atemu took turns explaining about Duel Monsters. Atemu went first about explaining more about the Shadow Games of his time. Afterwards, Yugi then explained how the Shadow Games of Atemu's time became known as Duel Monsters in the present time. The others were amazed at the story.
"It looks like we'll have more help," Xanitos said.
"Yes we do. When the need arises, I will call upon my monsters," Atemu said.
Goliath and the others had a much deeper respect for Yugi and Atemu now. After what just happened to Angela, they were very grateful to Yugi and Atemu's quick thinking. But even with the extra help, they still couldn't let their guard down. They would do their best to protect the city from Demona and the Quarrymen.


Well, here's the second Chapter of this story. It's getting down to the wire for me because I go back to school next Tuesday. For all you Digimon readers out there, I'll do my best to update An Old Digimon's Vengeance before I go back. I know it's been a while since I last updated that story. For you Yugioh readers, I will also try to finish the next chapter to The Danger World. Moving right along, preview for Chapter 3: Trouble in Avalon: Manhattan may seem like a place where a lot of trouble is bound to happen. But it will be a walk in the park compared to what will happen in Avalon. That's really all I can tell you because I don't want to give what will be causing the big trouble away.