Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction / Hamtaro Fan Fiction ❯ Duel Hams: Duelists of the Clubhouse ❯ students of the game ( Chapter 52 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It took a while, but Sparkle's eyes opened to see Nurse Ham. "Hey, you made it." the nurse greeted.
"Yeah, I guess so, huh?" asked Sparkle. "I can't believe it... Even with everything I had, I still couldn't beat Shena. I know I lost properly, but it still isn't fair."
"I saw that duel, and your loss has many reasons. The real reason you lost is that deck lacks strategy."
Sparkle stood up and was very irate. "Excuse me? My deck lacks strategy? My strategy is perfect and has absolutely no flaws in it."
"You are so shallow, yet you still don't understand that you have no strategy. You emptied your hand to get two Harpie Ladies and a Pet Baby Dragon on the field with no back-up and got Mirror Forced. You were suckered into destroying all of her reptiles just so she can fuel not only Venominon, but Ananta as well. That isn't strategy, that is foolish dueling."
"And this is coming from a broad that is known for giving bedside manner? Bah! You have no idea on how strategic dueling works."
"I have no clue?"
"I didn't know a nurse could be deaf."
Nurse Ham laughed at Sparkle. "Fine, then allow me to show you what I know."

Meanwhile, Cappy and Kerin are done with their "true mating" and begin to walk down the trail. Kerin kisses Cappy on the cheek, "You're so sweet to me, Cappy." she says happily.
"Of course I am, Kerin." said Cappy. "But we're sweet to each other.""Aww...."
"Anyway, What do you want to do now?"
"Hmm, how about a slice of apple?"
"Apples huh? Sure, let's have some apples."
As the two continue to walk, they run into Penelope. "Cappy, there you are. I was wondering where I could find you." Penelope said.
"Is something the matter?" asked Cappy.
"I saw a few cards up your alley that you may like."
"Maybe we should chec them out, Cappy." said Kerin.
"Sure, but after we grab a bite to eat." said Cappy.
"Cappy, you still didn't answer my question." said Penelope. "Where were you?"
"Kerin took me somewhere, then I ran into Jewel and had a throwdown in cards..."
"I see. Well, I-" But before Penelope could continue, her nose began to catch a certain smell. "Hey, hold still."
"Penelope..."
Penelope sniffed Cappy and found what caught her nose. "I can't believe this, you just don't know when to quit the rumping."
"Penelope..." Cappy tried to explain.
"Her scent's all over you. Check yourself every once in a while, will ya?"
"What is your problem anyway, Penelope?" asked Kerin.

Penelope answered Kerin with a swift slap to her face. "You stay out of this!" she yelled at Kerin.
"Penelope, that's uncalled for." said Cappy.
Penelope slapped Cappy just as hard. "That was. I can't belive you, Cappy. Will this-"
Penelope was cut off by Kerin's paw slapping her in the face. "I don't know what your problem is, but this isn't going without restitution." Kerin said.
"You want a piece of me, then bring it."
Penelope and Kerin were about to have a fight, but Cappy intervened. "Stop it, both of you."Cappy said. "Penelope, you know better! This is not how we settle things, not with physical violence."
"That's right, you guys duel to settle your differences." said Kerin. "Since that is how Forbidden Brown resolves conflict, let's vent."
"Vent, huh?" asked Penelope.
"I understand everything, especially from what Petal has been filling me in. It's time you finally get what's coming to you."
"Get what's coming to me? Please..." said Penelope.
This argument turned a lot of heads and began to draw a crowd. "Since you're all postal and craving a whoopin', I might as well hand it to you." said Kerin. "This'll be one wishie you didn't want to tempt.""You can't beat me in a duel, be serious!" said Penelope.
"If you think you're better than I am, here's your moment to prove it." and Kerin activates her duel disk. "This is going to be quite the match... the match to see who's the better pupil. The student of the Dragonlord against the student of Pegasus J. Crawford."
"I hope this duel we're about to have is on the big screen, because I want the whole fun park to see you get beat. Just like how Jam beats your daddy." and Penelope activates her duel disk.
"I'll make you eat those words, Penelope!"
Cappy sighed. "Just shuffle each other's decks." he said.

Kerin and Penelope give their decks to Cappy. Cappy then takes each deck into his two paws, passes the opposing deck to the opposing player and the decks are shuffled. The crowd was silent and the monitors had the live action all throughout the fun park. "Looks like Hiei's daughter is about to duel Penelope." said Blaze.
"I have nothing against one of our own, but Kerin will lose this duel." said Rufus.
"How supportive, Sgt. Killjoy."
"Kerin is strong, but Penelope is much more experienced than Kerin is."
"Let's not forget that Kerin's learned a lot about her deck from Pegasus."
"That doesn't matter, yet it never does."
Kerin and Penelope return the decks to Cappy's paws, who then returns each of the decks to their rightful owner. "Okay ladies, take your decks and ten spaces." said Cappy.
"Right." Kerin and Penelope say as the grab their decks. The two girls take ten steps backwards without taking their eyes off the other duelist.
"Let's keep this clean, fair and let the cards do the battling." said Cappy. "Since Kerin issued the the challenge, Penelope chooses the rotation."
"I'll let her go first." said Penelope.
"So be it. 3... 2... 1... DIAHA!"
"Diaha!" Kerin and Penelope cry as they draw their hands.
Kerin makes the opening draw. "Let's start things off with Hand Destruction." Kerin began. "You know how it goes, it's Card Destruction for two cards only." Both girls discard two cards from their hand, then draw two cards from the deck and Kerin continues. "Hunter Dragon, let's go!"
Hunter Dragon? Cappy and Penelope think at the same time.
Kerin's monster appears on the field (1700/100). "Two cards face down and that ends my turn."
Penelope draws. "This is new, but not gonna stop me. I'll play Skyscraper 2 - Hero City." she begins and the field responds to her field spell. A futuristic city rises from the ground, then she continues. "I summon Elemental Hero Captain Gold (2100/800)."
Kerin looks at Penelope's field. "Hey, where's your monster?" she asked.
"You want some of Captain Gold, so be it. Attack her Hunter Dragon my Hero..."

Penelope's monster appears from the sky in front of and destroys Kerin's Hunter Dragon. Afterwards, Elemental Hero Captain Gold vanishes from sight <7600>. "Hey, no fair. Your Elemental Hero should be on the field." whined Kerin.
"Captain Gold is on the field, Kerin." Cappy said.
"Well where is he, I don't see him?"
"Look up there." and Cappy pointed at the top of the center building of the city.
"No way, that isn't fair, Captain Gold should be in his regular monster zone."
"True, but that isn't the case for this Hero." Penelope explained. "Captain Gold stands atop of the 'Skyscraper', only taking to the field when the time comes for battle. Such is the ability of Captain Gold."
"That's cheating, utterly cheating."
"Actually, Captain Gold's effect does say that he must stand on a 'Skyscraper', Kerin." Cappy said. "Despite how it looks, this is a fair move."
"That's right." said Penelope. "One card face down and that ends my turn."
Kerin draws. 2100 ATK is very strong, and nothing I can currently play can run on that building to face Captain Gold. I guess I'll have to play second fiddle for a while. she thought and analyzed her hand. "One monster on the defense and that ends my turn."
Penelope draws. "Bad news for you, I activate my Hero's Bond spell card."
"What is Hero's Bond?"
"Anytime I have a Hero on the field, I can special summon two low level Elemental Heroes from my hand to the field. So get ready for a whoopin... First, I'll special summon Elemental Hero Neos Alius in attack mode (1900/1300), then I'll special summon Elemental Hero Air Hummingbird in attack mode (800/600)."
E-Hero Hummingbird... Those must've been the cards that Pegasus was keeping under lock and key. Kerin thought. Advanced versions of the Neo-Spacians classed like regular E-Heroes, and they keep the same effects as the regular NS countertypes. This is gonna be tricky...
Penelope's got some new, familiar cards.
thought Cappy.
"Now I'll use Air Hummingbird's ability, giving me 500 life for each card in your hand." Penelope continued.

Flowers sprouted from Kerin's two cards and Penelope's monster drank the nectar from them, then returned to Penelope's side of the field <9000>. "Let's clear the trash. Neos Alius, attack her monster." and Penelope's monster went in for the attack.
Kerin saw her monster destroyed. Wait for it... she thought.
"Air Hummingbird, direct attack." Penelope continued her attack.
Kerin took the direct blow. Wait for it.... <6800>
"Captain Gold, it's your turn."
Elemental Hero Captain Gold appeared in front of Kerin. "Gotcha. Revealing Shadow Spell."
Nice save. thought Cappy.
A series of chains wrapped themselves around Penelope's monster. "This time, your Captain is staying on the field where he belongs. And not only that, my trap weakens him by 700 points (1400 ATK)."
"Took her long enough. I'll take this summon to activate Neos Alius, making him the original E-Hero Neos and that ends my turn."
Kerin draws. "I summon Decoy Dragon (300/200), then I equip it with my Raregold Armor. Playtime's over, just like my move."
Raregold Armor, that means she's planning on using a reinforcement effect on me. thought Penelope. Moly will stop that, however. and Penelope draws. "Darn. I'll use the ability of my Air Hummingbird again."Penelope says and off Elemental Hero Air Hummingbird goes. It sucks the nectar from the flowers to increase Penelope's life points again, then returns to Peleope's side of the field <10000>. "Good job, Hummer. I'll place you on the defense and end my turn."
Kerin draws. "That's what I want. I play Toon World." and Kerin plays her spell <5800>. "With this, I cordially welcome you to Channel Med-E-Val. Enjoy your stay and make your move."
"I can drink all day." said Penelope and she drew. "But if I did that, things would get boring. So I will help my Air Hummingbird to one more round of Nectar."

Kerin's card flowers are de-nectared again and Elemental Hero Air Hummingbird returns to Penelope's side of the field <11000>. "Now I'll sacrifice him now and summon Elemental Hero Necroshade (1600/1800). Your move."
Kerin draws. "I play Mirage Dragon."
"Finally, something new."
"Bored, are you (1600/600)? Then allow me to start chipping away at your life points. Mirage Dragon, attack Captain Gold."
Go ahead, it's not like I can stop it anyway. thought Penelope and saw her Hero fall <10800>.
"With that attack, my Shadow Spell trap is destroyed, just like your cheapskate Hero. My turn's over."
Penelope smiled as she drew. "I'll start this turn with R - Righteous Justice."
"How does that work?" Kerin asked.
"R - Righteous Justice allows me to destroy my opponent's spell and trap cards equal to the number of Elemental Heroes I have on the field. Two Heroes for two spells... farewell to your cards."
"No..."
"Yes, and your Channel Med-E-Val has been cancled."

Kerin saw her two spells destroyed, Crud... Now I have to wait for my toons. she thought.
"Now it's time for my City to work." Penelope continued. "Anytime one of my E-Heroes fall in battle, I can bring one of them back during my main phase each turn."
"You can?!"
"Yes. So let's bring back Elemental Hero Captain Gold in attack mode." and Penelope's Hero returned to the top of the city. "I already see the extent of your deck, you need Toon World in combination with your Decoy Dragon, to play other Toon Dragons without having to summon them. Clever, but not clever enough. Neos Alius, destroy the Mirage Dragon."
Kerin saw her dragon destroyed. "Oh well." she then sighed <5500>.
"Now Captain Gold, attack!"
Kerin stood Elemental Hero Captain Gold down again. "Good idea, but this time, your plan worked against you." she said. "I will activate my Decoy Dragon's effect. When Decoy Dragon is attacked, I can special summon a high-leveled Dragon-type from my graveyard, and the attack switches to the newly summoned dragon."
I know that, Jam has the card. But it won't help you. thought Penelope. She probably has a Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon buried from using Hand destruction. And since Toon Dragons are destroyed if they come to the field without Toon World, the effect is null and void.
"Rise from the graveyard, Ryu-Ran." said Kerin and her dragon appeared. Elemental Hero Captain Gold then attacked the newly summoned monster, but the attack failed.
Penelope was shocked. "R... Ryu-Ran? No way." she said.
"What did you think I was gonna bring, Manga Ryu-Ran?" asked Kerin. "And just so you know, Ryu-Ran is primed for battle (2200/2600). Ryu-Ran, counter with Firestream attack!"
"Crud..." and Penelope saw her Hero fall again <10700>. "I end my turn."

Kerin laughed as she drew. "Like I said, playtime's over. Everyone always tries to anticipate my strategy of burying a Toon Dragon, only to get a real dragon instead. First, I play A Wingbeat of Giant Dragon."
Good play, Kerin. thought Cappy.
"Ryu-Ran, return." Kerin said, then her dragon returned to her hand. "Giant Dragon, blow her cards away!"
The Giant Dragon appeared in the sky, then flapped its wings. The generated shockwave kicked up many high winds and destroyed Penelope's face down card and Skyscraprer 2 - Hero City, leaving the two Heroes and the Decoy Dragon on the field when the dust settled. "Your city lies ruined at the hands of my Giant Dragon. But the tolerance of my dragon doesn't come without effect. I summon Goblin Attack Force (2300/0). Goblins, destroy Neos Alius." and Kerin's monsters went in for the attack.
"Damn, I can't stop that." said Penelope, then she saw her second Hero fall in battle <10300>.
"After the Goblin Attack Force battles, they switch to defense position. But don't think you're getting away scott free. I'll be dishing out more just in time."
"Not with that wimpy dragon." said Penelope as she drew. "I summon Elemental Hero Prisma (1700/1100). Necroshade, get rid of those Goblins!"
Kerin saw her monsters destroyed. "At least they enjoyed some combat."
"Your move."
Kerin draws. "I will defend with my Decoy Dragon, then play Toon World."
"Another one?"
"Of course..." <4500>.

Toon World may cost 1000 of her life points to play, but I still have control over this duel. thought Penelope. The original Toon dragons pay 500 life points to attack, but have to wait a turn in the process. I'll have her spend her life trying to call out her toons if the cas arises, but I better find a may to wipe that show out.
"Your move, Penelope." and Kerin passes the turn over.
Penelope shouldn't have the fears of attacking like she seems to have. thought Cappy. I don't know much about this Channel Med-E-Val deck of Kerin's, but it seems like it a dragon deck along with her toons.
"My move." said Penelope, then she drew. "Now I will use the powers of Elemental Hero Prisma."
"What does Prisma do anyway?"
"Simple. I reveal one fusion monster in my extra deck to you, then send one of its fusion material monsters in my deck to the graveyard. Then Prisma changes into the sent monster for this turn. From my Extra deck, I reveal Elemental Hero Plasma Vice, so Prisma will now change into Elemental Hero Sparkman!" Penelope discards Elemental Hero Sparkman from her deck to the graveyard, then Elemental Hero Prisma changes into the same monster. Her turn continues. "Next, I play Polymerization, which I will fuse my Prisma-Sparkman and Necroshade to bring out Elemental Hero Darkbright!"
"Darkbright?" Cappy and Kerin ask.
"Yeah, it's new, I know."

Penelope's Elemental Heroes fuse together and create her new fusion monster (2000/1000). "Whoa, he looks kinda cool." said Cappy.
"Elemental Hero Darkbright, attack!" Penelope cried and her hero went for the attack.
"What a foolish move." said Kerin. "Didn't you forget the powers of my Decoy Dragon?"
"Does that mean you aren't using it?"
"Of course I'm using the effect. And with it, I special summon your new attack target. It's the Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon, come on out." and Kerin's monster appeared on the field (3000/2500).
So she brought it out after all... thought Penelope.
"Counterattack with Toon Burst Stream!"
Penelope saw the counterattack hit her hero and lost life points <9300>. "So you destroyed Elemental Hero Darkbright, but he doesn't go alone. When Darkbright is destroyed, he takes one opposing monster to the graveyard as well."
"He does what?"
"Darkbright, take the Decoy Dragon with you to the graveyard." Elemental Hero Darkbright attacks the Decoy dragon, destroying it, the the hero is destroyed himself.
"Man, that was really cold."
"Shut up and move."
"Fine, I will." and Kerin draws her card. "One card face down, then it's time for my Toon Dragon. It may cost 500 life points to attack with it <4000>, but it's worth being able to deal a direct blow to your life points."

The shot knocked Penelope on her rear <6300>. Pooie, this isn't what I expected to happen. she thought.
Kerin laughed. "You're about to get worn out, but you already knew that much." she said. "Your move."
Penelope draws. "Dragon slaying time. Using the powers of Elemental Hero Necroshade, I summon Elemental Hero Neos without sacrifice."
Kerin was shocked. "Cappy, can she do that?"
"Elemental Hero Necroshade's ability lets Penelope summon an Elemental Hero from her hand without having to sacrifice two monsters." Cappy answered.
"No fair."
"It is fair, Kerin. However, Penelope can only do it once."
"Well, at least Necroshade's effect is lenient."
"Too bad Neos doesn't feel the same way." Penelope cut in and her hero appeared on the field (2500/2000). "Next up is the spell card, Neos Force."
"N... Neos Force?" Kerin had a sweatdrop with her question.
"Neos Force gives Elemental Hero Neos 800 ATK points." Cappy told her.
"Lucky card."
"I actually drew Neos." Penelope cleared up. "I had Neos Force last draw (3300 ATK). Neos, show the Toon Blue-Eyes the power of Neos Force!"

Elemental Hero Neos struck the Blue-eyes Toon Dragon with his fist, destroying the dragon and taking Kerin's life points in the process <3700>. "My dragon, my beautiful dragon..." said Kerin. "Gone in just one punch. That isn't fair at all..."
"But there's more to Neos Force then just a power boost." said Penelope. "Thanks to the power of Neos Force, the ATK points of your destroyed Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon are deducted from your life points."
"Aw come on...." <700>
"Since it's the end of my turn, Neos Force is shuffled back into my deck (2500 ATK). Your move." and Penelope shuffles the spell back into her deck.
"Cappy, I wanna cut Penelope's deck." said Kerin.
"And you're entitled to it, but you can't shuffle it." said Cappy and approached Penelope.
Penelope finished shuffling her deck, then gave it to Cappy. Cappy then went to Kerin and let Kerin cut it, then he gave Penelope back her deck to be placed into her duel disk. After all of this, Kerin drew her card. "I activate Graceful Revival. This card lets my special summon a level two or lower monster in my graveyard to my field in attack mode."
"Wow, here comes the Decoy Dragon."
"Very good, you know what is happening then." and Kerin's Decoy Dragon returned.
"Not this again."
"But I will now summon a second Decoy Dragon, then end my turn."

Two Decoy Dragons... what is she planning? thought Cappy.
Penelope draws. "I end my turn."
Kerin draws. "Oh goodie, I was hoping to play this. Now I'll sacrifice my Gracefully Revived Decoy Dragon and summon the White Horns Dragon!"
Shit, not a White Horns.... Penelope mentally panics.
Kerin's Dragon appeared on the field to the surprise of many people watching the duel (2200/1400). "Does Hiei know his daughter has a White Horns Dragon?" asked Blaze.
"He does now." answered Rufus.

Shit, shit, shit! Penelope thought. Of the many real dragons at mid-level, she had to summon this one. This is gonna be a thorn in my side...
"The expression on your face is priceless, Penelope." said Kerin. "What's funny is that you've only seen one other person use ths card and that's the Dragonlord himself. So why don't you explain to the people how it works."
Penelope's ears drooped. "Anytime the White Horns Dragon is summoned, the controller of the dragon can select up to five spells in the opposing player's graveyard and remove them from play." she explained. "And for each spelled removed by this effect, White Horns Dragon gains 300 ATK points."
"Time to power up my dragon. So start removing your spells, beginning with Skyscraper 2 - Hero City..."
"I know how the card works." said Penelope as she removed the card.
"Hero's Bond..." Penelope removed the card, "R - Righteous Justice..." Penelope removed the card, "Polymerization..." Penelope removed the card. "Now I know there's a fifth spell in there, so tell us what that one is as you remove it from play."
Penelope removed the card. "It's Cocoon Party."
Kerin laughed. "Five removed from play spells that the E-Heroes can't use give my dragon 1500 extra ATK points (3700 ATK). White Horns, destroy Elemental Hero Neos!"

Penelope didn't say a word, but simply saw as the strongest monster in her deck was destroyed and her life points took a hit <5100>. Now both forms of Neos are in my graveyard... she thought.
"Decoy Dragon, direct attack!" Kerin continued her battle phase.
Penelope didn't even flinch from the next shot. "Are you done?" she asked <4800>.
"I am now, make your move."
Penelope draws, but get Neos Force back. "I end my turn." she says.
Kerin drew and had the grin of a great white shark that smelled blood in the water. "Payback time, Penelope." she said. "Dragons, attack!"
Here they come. Penelope thought, then took the blows from both dragons <800>.
"I'm going to quote a great duelist when I say this, 'All it takes is one turn to change the game of Duel Monster in your favor.' And this has happened to me. You had over 11000 life points at one time in ths duel and all of them are gone. Now the only difference here is 100 life points... what a waste of your lead. Oh well, I'm going to win this duel anyway... My turn ends."
"So I lost a major lead, I still have cards to play." and Penelope drew. "Time for a little Convert Contact."
Convert Contact, that's a risky move. thought Cappy.
"And how does this card work again?" asked Kerin.
"Since I have no monsters, I can play this card." Penelope explained. "Now I'll give up a Neo-Spacian in my hand to the graveyard then draw two cards. I'll use the card I just drew, Elemental Hero Aqua Dolphin."
"Wait, that counts as a Neo-Spacian while in the hand?"
"Aqua Dolphin was always a Neo-Spacian, but he just got an E-Hero upgrade. Anyway, discarding Aqua Dolphin for two new cards."

Penelope discards her card, takes a breath, then draws her two cards. She then smiles upon seeing what she drew. "What's with the grin?" asked Kerin.
"It's called irony, Kerin." said Penelope. "Irony on what you just said. Now it's my turn to have your moment, and it comes in the form of my spell card Miracle Fusion."
"Miracle Fusion, hah!" shot Kerin. "None of the Elemental Hero Fusion monsters can stand against my White Horns Dragon, none of them have the ATK power to do so."
"You are wrong, and I have the very monster to do just that. With Miracle Fusion, I will fuse one of the best Elemental Heroes in the game using only two monsters."
"Two monsters? Now I know you're bluffing..."
"Sorry, but I call. So first, I will remove Elemental Hero Sparkman in my graveyard from play." and Penelope's monster appeared on the field."
"Elemental Hero Darkbright may have a great ability, but it won't help you against my White Horns Dragon." and Kerin ran her fingers through her pigtail.
Is she really gonna pull that... wondered Cappy. Wait, she can't. She doesn't have the other half.
Penelope smirked. "I will now use the second card." she said. "The other card I gave up from your Hand Destruction at the beginning of the duel. I fuse Sparkman with The Light - Hex Sealed Fusion." and this monster appeared on the field.

"The Light - Hex sealed Fusion?" asked Kerin.
"Good show, Penelope." said Cappy. "The Light - Hex Sealed fusion is one of three fusion based rocks that can be used for a fusion summon. If she's using Light HSF, that means she can use it as a substitue for a fusion monster of the light element."
"Darkbright won't help her."
"Darkbright is of the dark element, Kerin." said Penelope. "Sparkman, achieve Miracle Fusion with The Light - Hex Sealed Fusion."
What's she fusing together? thought Kerin.
"It's time to shine. Ladies and gents, I give you... Elemental Hero Shining Flare Wingman!"
Everyone was shocked as Penelope's hero appeared on the field (2500/2100). "Wow, she really did it. She really called out Shining Flare Wingman." said Cappy.
"This is your great Hero?" asked Kerin. "I might as well bring up what I mentioned before about how your monster can't match the power of my White Horns Dragon."
"You are as naive as your father, Kerin." said Penelope. "Shining Flare Wingman gains 300 ATK for each Elemental Hero in my graveyard. So let's do the math... Aqua Dolphin, Air Hummingbird, Captain Gold, Prisma, Neos, Neos Alius, Necroshade, and Darkbright. 2400 ATK points from fallen Heroes, giving my Shining Flare Wingman a total of 4900 ATK points. Shining flare Wingman, slay that White Horns Dragon!"

Elemental Hero Shining Flare Wingman flew towards the White Horns Dragon, slashed it, and the dragon was destroyed, ending the duel. Applause was heard from the crowd, signaling the approval of the effort on both girls. "Well you won, Penelope." said Kerin. "I'm only sad that I let Pegasus and my papa down, but otherwise, this was a good duel."
"I told you that you couldn't win against me." said Penelope.
"I'll have to earn a rematch after I've tweaked my cards more." and off Kerin walked.
"That was cool, Penelope. You really played Shining Flare Wingman." said Cappy.
"I'm a natural." said Penelope.
"Well, I promised apple slices with Kerin." and off Cappy walked.