Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Brother's Love ❯ A Brother's Love ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Just a couple of things:

The Kaiba Chronicles are composed of four parts.

Mokuba's Memories and the Narration to the Ending of Seto's life (Rated PG-13 for the use of drugs and a few mentions to adult natured things)

Seto and Tara: A Feisty Romance (Rated PG-13 for future limes and innuendo)

Tara's Heartbreak (Rated PG-13 for angsty commentary and remembered lime scenes)

Legacy: Living Daughter (Rated PG-13 for description of overall hardship and a few scenes where there is spicy language)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&am p;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&am p;&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&am p;

The Kaiba Chronicles: Episode One

Mokuba's Memories and the Narration to the Ending of Seto's Life

(If you saw the episode that was on WB on Saturday December 20, then you'll know why I was inspired to write this)

*************************************************************** *********

I've been asked, tested and tortured because of my disposition. They wonder how I can remain so loyal when most of the time I'm thrown to the side like I don't even matter to him. I simply give them this answer. My brother and me, we're a team. Nothing gets passed us! Most are baffled by this response, wondering how the selfish and cold Seto Kaiba can actually care for someone much less be loyal to them. I can prove them wrong. All of the slimy people out there. My brother is one of the greatest in the world, even though he hasn't been able to control many of the events in his life. I can forgive him for that, even though he hurt me in the process. He is still my brother and we have to stick together.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (A/N: ~ = thoughts and memories)

"Hey Seto, watcha doin'?" I asked, rushing into my big brother's office to see him looking frustrated. The Big Five, people who worked for our stepfather, surrounded him and they all looked like I had intruded on something extremely important.

"What the hell is he doing in here?" One of them asked. Seto stood promptly and approached me with the angriest glint I have ever seen in his cerulean blue eyes. He took hold of my arm and pushed me back, his lips curling up in a sneer.

"You little traitor!" He shouted, his maturing voice cracking as he did so. I was shocked and unable to do anything.

"Seto? Wha-" He grabbed my arm again and threw me out into the hallway, my duel monsters cards flying all over the place. I didn't understand! What was he doing? The Big Five followed us into the corridor and watched intently as my older brother yelled and shouted at me.

"Why did you come back here? Why did you tell our stepfather everything! You little coward! You little snitch! Could you not trust me?" He roared and kicked me as I lay on the ground, tears flowing down my cheeks.

"What did I do?" I sobbed, unable to think of anything else to say. What was he accusing me of? What have I done to fail you Seto?

"Everything! Now get out of my sight you little creep and I don't you go crying to father about this!" Seto yelled at me, picking me up and shoving me forcefully down the hall. I ran away a little, but turned back and through tear-blurred eyes I saw him thanking the big five and smiling. I was upset, so I went to Gozoborro, my stepfather but didn't tell him that Seto had caused my grief.

The pain was still raw, days later when I heard Seto, my stepfather and the Big Five conversing in the business room one day. There was talk about Seto owning 49% of Kaiba Corp. and he was going to become the president. My stepfather still owned 51% of the company and he fired the Big Five and threatened to send Seto back to the orphanage. No! Seto! I thought desperately, bursting through the doors. No matter how much my brother had hurt me days ago, he was still my brother and we had to stick together. We needed each other.

"Your brother owns 2% of the company and I receive that because I am his stepfather-" Gozoborro started to say but I burst through the door.

"The 2% belongs to Seto because he's my brother and we're a team!" I said courageously. My stepfather was shocked and he was about to object when Seto had all of them removed. After they were gone, my brother looked at me with loose satisfaction and no gratitude.

"Yes, we're a team, Mokuba. And we'll always be a team." He told me, his hand going to my head and then he laughed in a constricted way, leaving me by myself. Does he really mean that? I thought, knowing that he was very pleased that I helped him get his way. Is he just using me? NEVER! I shouted at myself for thinking such a thing. Seto would never use you because you are his brother and you two are a team! With that thought in my mind, I raced after my brother to see what he was up to.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'd have to say that Seto was a very caring and passionate older brother, but he was also too selfish. As a boy I never knew this or even percepted this because my eyes were blinded to all the horrible things he was doing. He tried to take Yugi's grandpa's Blue Eyes White Dragon but luckily Yugi put him back in his place. At Battle City, he was being extra rude with his work and he let me get kidnapped a few times, even though he and Big Yugi or the pharaoh or whoever he was came to get me. And now, he's got his own life. Himself and his business.

Seto had fallen in love with a beautiful girl named Tara Shotochan and he seemed happy with her for a time. They were married and he continued to work in his company. I was still young about 16 or 17 so I still lived with the couple but soon, Tara started to come to speak with me more often, more often then not in tears.

He had started to neglect her for his work, shout at her when she begged him to stay home with her because she was afraid for their baby and wanted his support. She wanted to be told by him again that she was beautiful. She had spilled to me that they had not kissed in months much less sleep in the same bed together. Tara was having an extremely hard time and Seto was becoming more and more absorbed in the company, unaware of his suffering wife.

She had the baby, but due to all the stress she had gone through, she had died during childbirth and I had been there with her. I watched her die telling me to be strong and take care of my brother because apparently she never could.

When Seto found out the news, he was at first in deep shock but he didn't show it. He acted as if it did not affect him but little did I know pieces of him were dying ever so slowly. I stayed by him, disapproving many of the things he started to do. He spent much of the company's profit on liquor and other various drugs to drown out his sorrows, but none seemed to work.

I tried to stop him but he got up one night and drove out of town in a company limo, leaving the company to me. At first I wasn't sure how to run in because it had started to fall into ruin as soon as Seto had entered his depression, but I hired some experience men to help me and I found them to be very expertise. I was left to run Kaiba Corporation because my brother had taken his life to a whole new degree.

I haven't heard from him since. I assumed he had started a business of his own or was living on the outskirts of town. I felt it was all my doing because I couldn't stop any of it. We brothers were a team. We were supposed to help each other through the hard times but I couldn't. I couldn't help him.

I had kissed my kids goodnight one night and was heading back to the bedroom to go see my wife when the phone rang. I wondered who could be calling me at this time of night but I answered it readily.

"Mokuba."

"Seto!" I gasped unable to recognize his voice. He sounded so much older. It had been years and years since I had last seen or heard him and I was happy and sad at the same time. "Where the hell have you been? I've been so worried for you-"

"I'm sorry I ran off like I did and I'm sorry I've been horrible to you your whole life. You've been the best little brother a person could ever want or have," He said to me. I felt tears sting in my eyes.

"I'm so sorry Seto. I couldn't help you! I couldn't-"

"It's not your fault. It's my own. I chose the road that I took and I should take responsibility for it. I just called to tell you that I only have a few days to live and when I'm gone, don't grieve for me. My life was never worth it." He started to tell me how all of the drug started to eat away at his life when he had started and it only grew worse with time.

"Seto, you've been a good older brother, just not there for me in the times of need. I don't hold it against you. I'm just sorry your life had to turn out like this," I apologized and he agreed with me. "I love you Seto and I always will."

"I love you too, Mokuba." With that, the line was dead and so was the communication that I had with my brother. My family and I visited his grave a week later, me remembering all the memories I had with him and the rest of my family wondering who he was.

Someone I did not expect to see showed up at the funeral after everyone had left. I had stayed but told my family to go because I needed more time. It was a girl of about 17. She looked up at me quizzically but shrugged and bent down to caress the grave soil in front of Seto's tombstone.

"What's your name?" I asked her, wondering what a girl like her was doing here. She met my eyes, a familiar cerulean and answered me.

"Setah Kaiba."