Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A Kiss Before Dying ❯ Prologue - Reflections of Rain ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Kiss Before Dying..

By
Mai Valentine

Authoress' note: This prologue is partially a songfic, but don't expect all the chapters to be. Also, this takes place somewhere within the "Duelist Kingdom" story arc of Yugioh. ^_^ Thank you and happy reading.

Disclaimer: No matter how much I wish it did, Yu-Gi-Oh! does not belong to me, and neither do the lyrics of "Twilight." Yu-Gi-Oh belongs to it's respective owners, and "Twilight" is by Vanessa Carlton. Nayamashii Migoto, however does belong to me! ^_^


Prologue

The rain patters on the window, as I look out upon the silent land, clad in night. The ocean crashes against the cliff far below, as if angered by an unknown force, and the wind sings a soft, sad song. The abundant darkness that permeates the world outside, threatens to overtake me, it's face pressed up against the panes of glass I stand infront of. I am only protected from it, from the gentle flickers of candlelight that glow about me. My reflection shimmers back at me, from the smooth surface, and crystalline rivers run from my eyes as I again see what I have become.

I was stained, with a role, in a day not my own

But as you walked into my life you showed what needed to be shown

And I always knew, what was right I just didn't know that I might

Peel away and choose to see with such a different sight


How could I have known the outcome of one duel could have changed so much? How could I have known it would shatter everything I knew and loved? The invitation to Duelist Kingdom.. my friends told me they had a bad feeling.. Why didn't I listen? Why did I go on with my foolish ambitions to best the greatest in existence? The danger was real, I was warned, and yet, I never paid it any heed. I guess I am paying heavy for my ignorance now..

As the sun shines through it pushes away and pushes ahead

It fills the warmth of blue and leaves a chill instead and

I didn't know that I could be so blind to all that is so real

But as illusion dies I see there is so much to be revealed



Never will I be able to see my home again..or my family. I should have known when standing with the other duelists, at the opening of the tournaments, what that gaze Pegasus gave me was. I shouldn't have been oblivious to the obvious signs...like when the security came to find me, and brought me to the castle, with only 5 starchips. When Pegasus himself met me in the main chambers.. and invited me to a private dinner, and the elaborate dress Pegasus' manservant gave to me to wear. But my greatest mistake was the duel I accepted against him.. forever will I regret that.

And I will never see the sky the same way and

I will learn to say good-bye to yesterday and

I will never cease to fly if held down and

I will always reach too high cause I've seen, cause I've seen, twilight


Forever now, I will remain here. The Princess of the Duelist Kingdom, the sole prize of Maxmillian Pegasus. Like a doll, I live in an elaborate house, and wear the most beautiful clothing imaginable. But, also like a doll, I have no free will. I am manipulated by another's hands, and play upon this "master's" whim indefinitely. My heart is heavy, and I feel the knife of regret cutting through me, deeply. A prisoner, a slave, a toy. Eternally shall I be these things to Pegasus.. and I will never have a chance to be anything else.

Staring again at the woman in the window, I find I do not know her. She, dressed richly in a Victorian gown, and face soft, and yearning, almost like a china doll's, looks back at me with a despondent and knowing gaze. I fall to my knees, when I realize again.. that she is me. She is what I have become. She is the life I know now.. she is my price, my pain, my damnation. Raising my hands to my arms, I embrace myself, closing my eyes, as the sobs come faster and quicker than before. Slowly, I open my eyes again, still facing into the window, my vision blurred thickly with tears. Through the haze, I see the reflected form of my tormentor behind me in the transparent panes, a sick grin on his face. His hand caresses against my shoulder.. and I shudder violently. He smiles at this, more sadistically than before. He then speaks, in a voice as smooth and deadly as black silk.

"Nayamashii..do not feel such pain.. believe me.. all of this will soon turn to extraordinary pleasures..and you will, with all your heart thank the gods that you are by my side. Then, even if you had the right to leave me, you never would. Close your eyes..succumb to the pleasures of night. Let yourself go into the arms of slumber, and soon, your dreams will become reality. I promise you this..wait for it my dear, it will be soon.."

With this, he disappeared into the shadows, and I could not see him any longer. I remained motionless, my weeping the only sound echoing in the silent hall. All at once, I witnessed my vision fading into an inky obscurity, and my limbs growing heavier and heavier. My senses had left me, and I finally submitted to the conquering darkness.

My mind brought me into a dream...replaying the tragic story of how I ended here.. and brought myself to ruin...


And I will never see the sky the same way and

I will learn to say good-bye to yesterday and

I will never cease to fly if held down and

I will always reach too high cause I've seen, cause I've seen, twilight...



I hope you enjoyed this first part. ^_^ There will be more to come, and please R&R! Constructive Criticism is welcomed, and appreciated.

Thank you for reading!

-Mai