Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ A reason to live ❯ A reason to live ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shadow: PLEASE DON'T KILL ME FOR STARTING A NEW FIC! It's just that...this idea has been in my head for a looooooong time now and I need to actually type it up ^^;

Specter: but don't worry, this is only a one shot!!

Shadow: OH! And don't hate me for making Yugi/Anzu one of the pairings! There will be yaoi between Yami/?? Read to find out who it is!!

Specter: please read & review to tell us what you think!!! ^____^

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Yugi opened the door to his home, kissing Anzu on the cheek before walking inside. He closed the green painted door behind him and placed his keys on the counter. After hanging his blue leather jacket up, he walked through the living room and up the stairs, intent on heading to the washroom to take a quick shower before going to sleep.

He stopped midway as he noticed someone in his bedroom.

"Yami?" he questioned, opening the door further so he could enter the room. "What are you doing in here?"

The spirit's head snapped up and large crimson eyes shifted their gaze to the smaller boy. He moved away from the window he was previously glaring out and walked towards his Hikari. He grinned sheepishly, "Nothing Aibou."

"Where you spying on me and Anzu..?" Yugi asked, folding his arms across his chest. "How many times have I told you not to keep watching us? It's kind of freaky, in truth."

Yami looked down sadly, "I have to watch you; it is my duty as your guardian to do so," he explained truthfully.

The tri-haired teen placed his hands on his hips, glaring at the taller male, "do I look like a little kid?! I'm nineteen years old and can take care of myself, you know! God, Yami I'm not the little shrimp I was when we first met; I don't need your protection anymore. I don't need you to lead me around, holding my hand like an infant! I don't need you, don't you see?"

The former-pharaoh eyes flashed with hurt, their blazing amethyst color dimming to a sad tawny. He opened his mouth to say something, but closed it after realizing his throat was completely dry.

Noticing that the puzzle spirit wasn't about to say anything anytime soon, Yami rolled his eyes and continued on his way to the bathroom.

Yami looked up after he left, tears appearing in the corners of his eyes, "I'm sorry Aibou...for being weak..."

He closed his eyes, sitting on the twin sized bed. He shakily took in a breath as he raised his hand to his chest; clamping his fingers around the black leather material covering his chest. "Aibou I don't know when you stopped having faith in me....You don't even wear the puzzle anymore." He opened his eyes, looking at the picture of his Hikari, Honda Hiroto, Malik Ishtar, Ryou Bakura and Anzu Mazaki that was perched on the nightstand; its glass cover sparkling cheerfully in the glimmer of moonlight reflecting off of it. He picked the frame up, holding it close.

He remembered this day. It was at Anzu's eighteenth birthday party. It was the day Yugi had announced his feelings to the brunette girl. Yami himself had attended the festivities, feigning happiness as the new pair shared their first kiss. After that moment, nothing was the same. The group had always left him out, intentionally or not Yami did not know, but after Yugi and Anzu became a couple Yami was no longer thought of as part of their group. The only person that actually paid attention to him was Katsuya Jonouchi who had become more detached from the gang after he broke up with Seto Kaiba.

"Aibou...do you still not believe in me? You say you don't need me anymore but I need you still. It was always you who helped me, not the other way around. You were always so strong and it made me so proud. I could never be as strong as you. Just those four words of `I don't need you' made my resolve shatter...my heart break. I cannot live without you near me Aibou. I know you are too busy nowadays to wish for me to hang out with you but sometimes I wish things could be like they once were. I wish for you to love me again and come to me when you are troubled. I miss those nights when I would rock you to sleep after chasing away your nightmares and drying your tears. I miss you Aibou..."

Yami sighed, placing the picture back on the nightstand. He lay back down on the bed, stretching his legs out till his feet hung off the edge. He closed his eyes, taking in the vanilla scent of the small room. He smiled faintly, loving how that wonderful smell lingered around his Aibou.

Hearing the water from the bathroom turn off, he rose and walked to the door. A few short moments later, Yugi walked out holding a towel up around his waist with one hand and drying his hair with another towel with held from his other hand. He stumbled a little after tripping on the long, fluffy white towel and was slightly shocked as a pair of warm arms encircled his waist to steady him. He turned around, glaring at his Yami who wore a worried expression.

Yugi snorted and walked past his dark, "I'm not weak, I don't need help," he growled.

Hurt clouded Yami's eyes and he hung his head, gliding toward his bedroom and shutting the door almost silently. //He doesn't want me anymore...//

~*~*

"Yugi stop it!" a shrill giggle pierced the noiseless air of the room. "That tickles!"

The smaller boy didn't relent as he continued to wriggle his fingers across the girl's stomach, smiling at her laughter.

From the other side of the room, Jonouchi rolled his eyes. Sure, he loved Yugi and Anzu and was very happy for their getting together...but their little games were very childish and extremely annoying at times. The blonde let out a puff of air, leaning back onto the couch and putting his hands behind his head to get more comfortable. His brows furrowed as the laughter continued. He opened his eyes and pointed at the brunette and tri-haired youths, "could ya please give it a rest for a few minutes?! God a guy cant even get a quick snooze with little miss cheerful sniggering like a maniac!" he yelled.

Both Anzu and Yugi stopped immediately. Yugi glared at Jonouchi, "what's gotten into you? Why are you being so rude to Anzu?" he questioned.

Jou stood up, rubbing his forehead. He walked towards the door, sending an apologetic look his friend's way, "sorry you two. I guess I'm not in the best of moods..." he stopped and looked out the window.

"Oh with Seto and you breaking up..?" Anzu said, standing as well.

The blond flinched at the name and nodded, "eh...yeah.... But I'll get ova it. I think I'm just gonna go take a walk okay?"

The other two nodded and watched the taller exit. Anzu turned to Yugi who had taken a seat on the brown leather couch of the Mazaki living room. She walked over and sat in his lap, resting her head on his shoulder. (Shadow: no! Too much Yugi/Anzu!) "What do you think is really wrong with Jonouchi, Koibito?" she asked.

Yugi shook his head, running his hands up and own her back, "I don't know...but it isn't just the breakup with Seto. He's been acting weird ever since I told him about that fight Yami and I had."

"You don't think it has to do with him liking Yami do you?"

The boy grunted, "Yeah right! I mean, I know Jou is gay and all...but _Yami_?" he exclaimed, acting as though the idea was ludicrous.

Anzu shrugged, cuddling up into her boyfriend, "I guess you're right. But you must admit he has been acting very strangely."

"Yes he has...that I agree fully to."

He sighed and closed his eyes, letting a light sleep claim him.

~*~*

Jou walked down the street towards the small park a few blocks away. A walk was just what he needed to clear his mind. //Maybe I shoulda told Yueg an Anzu the truth about my breakup wit Seto. They think he broke up wit me when really it was the other way around// He shoved his hands into his pockets and crossed the street into the small park.

Looking up as he reached a private secluded area, he noticed a few locks of spiky red hair sticking up from behind a bush. His heart skipped a beat as he strode forward. Looking over the spirit's shoulder, he noticed him holding what appeared to be the Millennium Puzzle in his hands.

"Yami?"

Crimson eyes widened as the said ex-pharaoh turned around. There were tears in his eyes as he averted his gaze back to the puzzle. He slowly raised a hand to its smooth surface and clamped it around the eyepiece, removing it and throwing it on the ground.

Jonouchi gasped as the spirit's form flickered for a moment before Yami took out another piece of the puzzle. His honey eyes widened in realization as he watched the solid body turn transparent and waver once again. //He's sealing himself back inside...he's trapping himself in the puzzle again. But if he does, he'll die for good.//

Sitting down on the bench, Jonouchi took the spirit's hands in his own, stopping the other from dismantling the item further. Warmth flooded through his fingers and spread through his body by the brief contact of skin on skin. The blonde shook his head, not letting his emotions control him. He knew he had always felt a little something for the puzzle spirit, but thought it would be best if he covered those emotions by liking someone else; hence the idea of dating Seto Kaiba. Still his feelings for Yami remained though.

"Why? Why are you stopping me?" Yami asked, his body flickering again, this time more violently.

Jou took one of his hands off the puzzle and wrapped it around the other's shoulders, "why are ya doing this? Why do ya want to end yer life?"

Yami looked down, not caring how weak his appearance was. He leaned into the blonde's embrace, just needing to be comforted for once.

"Why would ya even think of doing this?"

Red eyes closed as their owner let out a soft cry, freeing his arms and clutching them to the fabric of the taller's shirt. He whispered something and let the sob he had been holding in, out. "I'm not needed anymore."

Jou's eyes softened as he tightened his grip, placing his free hand in Yami's hair and stroking the locks soothingly. "Don't say dat..."

"Aibou doesn't want me anymore...he told me the other day. He's grown up, and doesn't need me as a guardian. Nobody wants me around...I don't have to be here anymore."

The blonde shook his head from side to side and pulled Yami closer, "don't say dat...eva...you are wanted, even if ya think ya aren't. Ya do need ta be here...I need ya ta be here. Yami, just because Yugi may not need ya ta protect him anymore doesn't mean I don't either."

Yami looked up, blinking slowly, "you...?"

Jou nodded, looking the other strait in the eyes and lowered his head slightly, softly capturing the smaller's lips in a light kiss. He traced the soft lips with his tongue, gaining entrance and exploring the warm mouth. He picked up the other and placed him on the slightly damp ground, lying on top of him and ignoring the light rain that began to drizzle down on them. He pulled away, letting Yami recover from the slight shock of the action.

Jou panted for a moment, looking at the now wet face of the spirit. He smiled, picking the forgotten puzzle up off the ground beside him. He put the eye of Horus back in its slot, along with the other piece Yami had taken out. He placed the once again completed Sennen Item on the ground again, seeing Yami look at it distantly, then back into the warm golden eyes of the one who actually cared for him.

"Jonouchi..." he whispered, lifting himself up slightly.

The blond kissed him again, this time only for a moment before pulling away, "please don't think you are unwanted; because I need ya Yami. I love ya."

Yami's eyes widened, "you-you love me? But why..?"

"Because you're smart and you're courageous and you're strong and cute as hell and...And you're just everything."

Yami sniffled, smiling faintly, "I-I'm none of those...but Jou?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks anyways, for bringing me out of the dark and for saving me. I owe you my life..."

Jonouchi smiled, kissing Yami's forehead and rolling to the side to let him cuddle up to him. The spirit clutched his shirt again, which was already stained with tears, and buried his face in the material to hide how weak he looked. Jou chuckled, lifting the other's face up; "ya aren't weak Yami, don't eva think dat."

"Thank you..."

"I'm here for ya, Yami. I love ya like I said and I'll always be a shoulder ta cry on if ya need it."

Yami nodded, resting his head on the blonde's shoulder and closing his eyes. He smiled to himself, clinging tighter to the other just so hew knew that when he woke up, it wouldn't be a dream and that Jou would still be there, and that he would be wanted by someone...And so he could know what his reason for living was.

OWARI!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Shadow: ^_^ well there you have it! Just some fun, pointless fluff I think is kawaii!

Specter: please R&R!!