Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Across the Border of Popularity ❯ Two and Five Friends in One Day ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~ Across the Border of Popularity ~

~ Chapter Seven: Two Friends in One Day ~

Marik slammed Bakura against the gym lockers, his eyes narrowed dangerously. "Spill it," he commanded, lifting Bakura and pushing him back against the lockers. "What's the deal between you and Mai?"

Bakura winced, as Marik slammed him against the lockers yet again. "I figured she could help," he explained calmly, as Marik growled furiously.

"HELP?!" the egyptian practically screamed, letting go of Bakura and pacing in circles agitatedly. "She's one of Anzu and Ishizu's friends, in case you haven't noticed!"

"Oh, really?" Bakura asked, eyeing Marik suspiciously. "Do we have any proof they are friends? It seems to me that she's been helping Yami and Seto by dragging Anzu and Ishizu away, most of the time."

Marik snorted. "Most of the time."

Bakura glared at him.

"So, what about yesterday?"

"She refused having anything to do with their plan, so Ishizu and Anzu bound and gagged her, and locked her in the basement of Anzu's house. Well, that's what she told me," Bakura said, shrugging.

Marik growled, shaking his head. He stared into Bakura's eyes, who stared back defiantly. "Fine. But unless she proves to me where her loyalties lie, I don't trust her. And I won't have anything to do with this, Bakura. Malik could get hurt." Marik started to walk away, pausing as he turned back to look at Bakura. "And don't forget Ryou. This situation may be dangerous, Bakura, and trust me, I don't want to see you, or any of my other friends hurt."

Bakura nodded. "Thanks for the concern, Marik, but Yami's my best friend. I want - I need - to be there for him. You don't need to, Marik. No one's holding you back. Take care of Ryou `till this blows over. I'll be going now." Bakura walked away, leaving Marik standing in one of the rows in the boys' locker room, stunned.

~~~~~~~~~

"There you are, Ishizu!" The raven-haired cheerleader turned around, smiling sweetly at Seto.

"Yes, Seto?"

Seto grinned, pulling out a single, ebony rose, in full bloom. "For you."

Ishizu's breath caught in her throat, as she fingered the petals gingerly. "A Black Rose, oh, Seto, it's beautiful! Thank you!" Ishizu flung herself on Seto, hugging him.

Seto hugged her back absentmindedly, his gaze locked on a short, tri-colored haired teen, who had just emerged from history class. The teen was dragging his feet along, as if every step was a massive amount of effort. A memory, more of a name, tugged at Seto's mind, and as he quickly pushed Ishizu away, something inside his mind clicked. Yugi?! Seto's mouth had just formed the word, before Ishizu pulled him a fast as possible down the opposite hallway.

Yugi stared puzzled at Seto, who was being dragged down the hall by a teenage girl with long, black hair. Ishizu. He shook his head, heading to his locker to grab his homework. As he turned the lock and opened the locker, he saw the satchel Seto had given him for his birthday present, joking that Yugi may be obliged to save another animal on the road, which he happened to spot while fumbling with his backpack. Yugi hugged it tight around his chest, fingers tracing his name and a picture of a Black Magician and a Blue Eyes White Dragon. Seto had personally stitched the name and the two graphics, which had taken many nights, due to his lack of expertise in the sewing area. Yugi smiled, loading his books and closing the locker again. May as well head home now… Yugi paused, and instead of heading out the front doors, he turned to the direction of where he last saw Seto. Bakura had said he didn't know the cure to the potion, but it couldn't hurt to try and remind Seto. After all, the potion served as a minor case of detailed and controlled amnesia, amnesia nonetheless. So maybe if I can remind Seto of sometime we spent together…

********

Bakura dragged Mai towards the back of the school. This was the last place that Bakura hadn't searched for Yami or Seto, so odds were that they would be here. He pushed open the door, and saw Yugi running towards Seto and Ishizu, who were kissing passionately. He made a face, and releasing his prisoner, ran towards his two friends.

"Seto!" Yugi bowled straight into the taller teen, breaking him and Ishizu apart.

"Yugi?" Seto asked, uttering the younger one's name. "You're Yugi, right?"

Ishizu glared at Yugi, towering over him. "You little…"

Seto stepped in-between the two. "Stop, Ishizu," he commanded, hugging Yugi tightly. "Don't hurt him."

Ishizu's lip curled contemptuously. "And why not?"

Seto looked down at Yugi, who was on the verge of tears. "I don't know why, but there's something holding me back… Yugi… I feel like I know him somehow…"

"You should give it up, Ishizu," Mai implored, turning to face her so-called friend. "You're not going to get him. Ever. Those two have a bond; they're linked together. Consider it, Ishizu. You've heard about true love, haven't you?"

Ishizu nodded. "Of course. Romance novels are my favorite."

"Then you, of all people, should be able to tell the difference between Love and Want." Mai glared at the teen, a smirk twitching at the corner of her lips. "Consider it."

Pausing, Ishizu clenched her fist. She turned to look at Seto, who was stroking Yugi's hair affectionately, as Yugi leaned back in his arms. Mai draped an arm around Ishizu, smiling at her. "Cute couple, don't you think?"

Bakura humphed angrily, mad that he couldn't help this problem.

"Listen, you're my friend, Ishizu. I don't want to see you in a relationship that even you yourself frowns upon. Do you really like Seto that way? Or is it something else?"

Friend? Ishizu hesitated again, looking at the blonde. Mai considers me as one of her friends? I've never had a friend, at least a true one. Maybe…

Mai is correct. I don't love Seto. Not like that. I don't even know his true nature. I've just fallen in love with his looks- and his money. But the boy over there… He loves Seto, for who he is. When Seto said all the cruel words to him, he came back. He never gave up on Seto. I don't deserve him. Ishizu straightened up, smiling. "I apologize for my wrongdoing. I don't deserve Seto." She walked over to Yugi, smiling at him. "You do." She drew out a diamond bottle, and held it out to Yugi. "The remedy. Just pour it into his mouth, and make sure he swallows every last drop."

Yugi clutched the bottle, beaming up at Ishizu. He hugged her, tears brimming over his eyes. "Thank you so much, Ishizu." He smiled softly at her. "Maybe we can be friends too."

"Two friends in one day, Ishizu. How good is that?" Mai asked, winking and giving her friend a thumbs-up.

"Very good," Ishizu whispered, returning the smile.

Bakura rolled his eyes, and tapped Yugi on the shoulder. "Are you planning to bring him back sometime today?"

Mai hit Bakura on the head with Yugi's satchel, a temple throbbing on her head. "Show some sympathy, won't you?"

Yugi laughed at the two's antics, and uncorked the bottle. "Um… Do I just pour it in?"

Ishizu nodded. "And to make sure all of it stays in his mouth, and that he swallows, I suggest a kiss would be in order." She winked at Yugi's bemused face. "Don't want some of his memory to stay detached, do you?"

Blushing, Yugi shook his head, `no.' He tipped the contents of the bottle into Seto's mouth, and leaned upwards to kiss him. However, before he could reach Seto, two strong arms pulled him upward, lips coaxing his own apart. Yugi closed his eyes, relaxing in Seto's strong yet soothing hold, as he kissed the brunette back. The two broke apart, Yugi's face flushed and panting.

Seto smiled at Yugi, giving him a quick kiss. "Thank you, Yugi."

The tears that Yugi attempted to hold back now flowed freely, catching Seto off guard. "Yugi, koi, is something wrong?"

Yugi shook his head, burying his face in Seto's blue jacket. "I'm just glad you're back, Seto…"

Bakura rolled is eyes again, his head still aching from where Mai had hit him with Yugi's satchel, which was loaded with Yugi's binder, his algebra book, his science book and his history book. Damn the teachers for assigning so much homework today. "Hey, Yugi. Mind turning off the waterworks sometime today. Preferably now?"

Seto, Ishizu and Mai all backhanded Bakura, hitting his head. "Ouch."

Ishizu bowed politely at Seto. "My apologies for causing all this."

"Oh, no problem," Bakura added sarcastically, "It's just fine." Mai hit him again, and Seto chuckled.

"Can't you keep your mouth shut sometimes, Bakura?"

"Sure. Over my dead body."

Mai's eyes narrowed. "By the way you're acting now, that can be arranged."

Ishizu laughed softly. "I suppose this means that you forgive me?"

Seto nodded. "Yes. Just don't try this again. Anyway," he grabbed Yugi's satchel, handing it to the spiky-haired teen. "What happened while I was… out…?"

"Anzu cast the same potion on Yami," Bakura answered, glancing at the CEO. "So all we need to do is have Ishizu cast another remedy. You can do that, right?"

Mai whacked Bakura again. "The last part was uncalled for."

"Well, actually… Each potion I make has the same effect, but not the same ingredients. So each remedy is different. And, you see, I don't have the ingredients to create another remedy soon."

"Soon?"

"One of the ingredients needs to be chilled for a week, another boiled for a month. And Anzu has the last one." Ishizu sighed. "I'm sorry, but I will be of no use to you."

"But that's not right! Can't you persuade Anzu like you did Ishizu, Mai?"

Mai shook her head at Yugi. "I can't. Anzu is so stubborn. She doesn't listen to us, anyway. See, the difference between your group and ours, is that you care for one another, and nothing can drive you apart. But for us…"

Ishizu continued. "For us, Anzu would rather sacrifice us than have anything bad happen to her."

"What kind of friendship is that?!" Bakura asked, disgusted.

"Ah, yes, you've hit the nail with the hammer. There is no friendship between us," Mai said, "until now." She turned towards Ishizu. "Let's start brewing the remedy, all right?"

Ishizu nodded. "But first," she held out her hand. "Friends?"

Seto shook her hand. "Friends." Yugi and Mai followed the suit, and Bakura reluctantly shook her hand four times.

"Why?"

"There's one from me, one from Ryou, one from Marik and one from Malik." Bakura grinned. "How about that? Seven friends in one day. I never thought you could-"

Yugi whacked Bakura with his satchel, his face red as Seto clapped. "You're right, he does add to much commentary."

~~~~~~~

Marik clamped a hand across Anzu's mouth. "All right, where's Yami?"

The egyptian had pondered Bakura's words considerably. In the end, he had decided to help Yami. Hell, Yami had saved him countless times, it was his duty to repay the deed. Ryou and Malik had begged to help, so they were keeping an eye out for Yami or Jou.

Marik shook Anzu again. "Where's Yami?"

~~~~~~~

Bakura winced, as Mai wound bandages around his head. "You should think about suing the teachers for so much homework, Seto," he grumbled, as Mai finished.

"I dunno," Seto commented, Yugi sitting in his lap. "I think the bandages suit you just fine."

Bakura made to stand up. Mai bonked him again on the head. "Stop hitting my head! What is it, a special place to practice your hitting skills?!"

Mai smirked. "It is now."

~~~~~~~~~

Yami watched as Jou exited the school building, glancing into oblivion. Jou…

~ End Chapter Seven ~

Just so you know, there isn't Bakura bashing. Mai just enjoys hitting people, and everyone else is following suit.

millenniumspirit: Please review! I hope you enjoyed this chapter!