Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ An Argument with Kaiba Seto ❯ Contrivance 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

An Argument With Kaiba Seto

By Shella

-^-^-^-^-^-

Contrivance 5.

Crap. Crap, crap, crap, crap, damn, fuck, shit, bugger and crap.

He should have known, really. Murphy's Law dictated that it would happen - or at least, something like it. The rule that seemed to govern Jounouchi's life didn't depend on particulars to completely screw everything up for him. It was more a guideline, really, that sooner or later (or both) there would be a stumbling block, a spanner in the works, an unspecific cock-up.

The fine print didn't mention anything about Yugi going over to Kaiba's house for the English assignment and finding Jounouchi's favourite t-shirt in the brunette's bedroom, but it certainly didn't exclude it.

And now Yugi was Looking at him, all trusting/trustworthy expression and pleading eyes and general adorableness that should have been excessive but somehow wasn't. Jounouchi wasn't sure exactly how Yugi stopped short of being annoyingly cute, because he was cuter than a lot of things the blonde found annoying, but the flame-haired teenager had a tendency to bend every rule he came into contact with through sheer power of cuteness - an ability not to be underestimated. The fact that Jounouchi had severely over-used the word `cute' was testament to that.

Right now, for instance, this awesome force was prompting Jounouchi to explain about Kaiba right in the middle of the park, and because Yugi was his best friend and they trusted each other beyond everything he got the Whole Story. He got the hows, the whys, the whens, the wheres, the bits about two weeks' introspection, about standing on Kaiba's feet, about Mokuba singing childish songs and then running away laughing maniacally. (Although he refrained from mentioning the bit about `sitting in a tree' being true, and having the funniest moment of his life watching Kaiba try to learn how to climb trees. The brunette had gotten his revenge when Jounouchi's pants tore right up the seam inside his thigh, and their argument had degenerated into making out rather than making up, but that was probably too much information for innocent little Yugi to handle.) He told him about Kaiba kissing him and then walking away, and how the blonde had wandered vaguely home and locked himself in his room, with the kiss sitting at the forefront of his mind for two weeks, one day, three hours and fifteen minutes. He told him how his head had nearly burst from the brain-wracking introspection he'd forced on it, and how he hadn't been able to figure anything out until he'd met Kaiba again and kissed him back. He told him how even though he'd been going over to Kaiba's house nearly every day since then they still fought like cats and do- … and other cats … and were unable to hold a thirty second conversation without it degenerating into childish name-calling (on Jounouchi's part) and waspish insults (on Kaiba's).

And at the end of it all, when Jounouchi had finished detailing the relationship between the blue of Kaiba's eyes and the blush he got sometimes, Yugi shifted closer to him on the park bench and gave him a hug.

"I'm happy for you, Jounouchi-kun," he said, smiling, and Jounouchi-kun grinned.

"So you see why I wasn't in a hurry to tell you all?"

"Yeah. I'll admit, I was kind of surprised that it was Kaiba-kun!" A remarkably cheeky grin made Yugi's eyes sparkle. "So that's why he's been wearing turtlenecks and high collars lately?"

Jounouchi laughed out loud and tried not to blush. He failed.

"Oh, Jounouchi-kun, you're going red!" Yugi poked his heated cheek and grinned even more. "Can I tell Anzu and Honda now?"

He nearly choked. "No!"

"Oh, please, Jounouchi-kun?" Yugi's violet eyes widened and began to shine appealingly.

Augh! Must … resist … chibi eyes…

With a massive effort of will, Jounouchi turned away, covering his face against the awesome power of Yugi's sweetness. "No!" he managed at last. He dared a glance, and regretted it. Yugi was pouting - the Motou Pout of Doom. The cuteness of this technique was both legendary and feared, and none who were witness to it survived with their willpower intact. With a last, desperate burst of self-restraint fuelled by his (infamously moody) sense of self-preservation, Jounouchi played his trump card. "If you do, I'll tell Anzu you like her!"

The switch from adorable pout to adorable horror was instantaneous. "You wouldn't!"

"If you don't tell anyone, I won't." Reprieved momentarily from his best friend's wiles, Jounouchi breathed a sigh of relief. Until recently, Yugi hadn't been aware of how difficult it was to refuse him when he looked cute, and it hadn't been so dangerous to turn him down. But since the flame-haired teenager had discovered his fatal power of adorableness, nobody was safe.

At the moment, the expression on Yugi's face was more amusing than cute - he was trying not to be intimidated by his best friend's threat, but was far too shy to risk such consequences. Jounouchi found this conflict quite satisfying to watch.

Reluctantly Yugi conceded defeat. "All right. I won't tell them you're with Kaiba-kun."

"Then I won't tell Anzu you like her," Jounouchi responded promptly, and extended a hand. "Pinky-swear."

Yugi was still pouting as he hooked his finger around his friend's. He looked at the blonde through his eyelashes, and Jounouchi would have sworn there was a tiny tear in the corner of the shorter teen's eye.

"Don't overdo it, Yug'," he warned, and got a scowl in return.

"Hi guys!" said a voice, and suddenly Ryou Bakura was standing next to them. Jounouchi jumped.

"Oh, hi Ryou!" said Yugi cheerfully. "How're you?"

"I'm fine," the other boy replied. He took a closer look at the two boys and frowned. "Um, I don't mean to be rude, but why are you pinky-swearing? You know that's a very childish thing to do, don't you?"

Yugi looked confused. "Huh?"

"Ryou, you jerk!"

"I'm sorry! I was just saying…"

"Oh! Jounouchi-kun, can I tell Ryou?"

"NO!!"

"Tell me what?"

"Uh - nothing!"

"Yug'…!"

"Ehehe…"

-^-^-^-^-^-