Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Beyond The Darkness ❯ sickness ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The reddish copper harpy yawned and stretched, her little charge laying against her chest as her claws scraped the bark of the thick, high limb they were perched on. She didn't like the earth realm one bit; there wasn't a drop of magic here, save for the two of them, and she felt exposed and vulnerable, even though they were hidden in the top of a thickly leafed tree in the heart of a forest. A forest bereft of magic, thus bereft of camouflage for their own magic auras.

Yugi yawned and opened his eyes for the first time since leaving Mai's arms. He gave a soft sound, like the coo of a dove, and blinked questioningly up at the harpy with languid purple eyes. /Where are we?/

The harpy shuddered and squawked, her feathers ruffling and fluffing up. /We're on earth.../ She said, disgust tinged with fear in her voice and her claws repeatedly scraped the wood, unconsciously sharpening themselves.

Yugi nodded and stretched his arms, splaying his fingers and turning his face so that his other cheek was pressed against her feathered chest. He went to stretch his legs and curl his toes when his eyes suddenly shot wide open. /I can't feel my legs!/ He cried in alarm.

The harpy's bronze eyes narrowed curiously, and she brought her knees up on the thick limb, shifted Yugi so he was propped up against them, and lifted his emerald green robe then pushed his navy blue pant legs up. /Your legs look fine to me. The potion shouldn't have affected you like that. Then again, I didn't think you'd sleep so long, either./

Yugi's eyes widened even more as he struggled to come to grips with what was going on. /H-how long have I been asleep?/

/Possibly a day, a week, or a month. I don't know the time of this realm./ She sneered as if knowing such a thing was below her. She licked two of her fingers then smoothed a few out of place, glossy feathers.

The petite hikari gave a small nod, then closed his eyes, trying to keep his chest from tightening and his mind from having a panic attack. He whimpered and clutched his head, tears trembling on his thick lashes, and the bird wrapped feathered arms around his small body, drawing him back to her chest and twittering softly to him in her strange, awkward way of comfort.

/It's probably from not using your legs in a while. Or a side effect of the potion./ She thought to him over a low squawk. Yugi trembled, pressing his face past her sleek copper feathers to the red tinted, brown down beneath, latching onto her words in an attempt for reassurance.

Eventually, Yugi fell into a numb, fitful daze. His lavender eyes were glazed over, staring straight ahead and blinking once; his soft, sweet little body was slack, occasionally shivering as a though flickered across his sluggish brain.

The harpy squawked, shaking the human child in her arms, her screech rising in pitch when his head lolled back and forth, his violet eyes unable to focus on her. Something was seriously wrong with Yami's hikari.

She ruffled her feathers, tucked the fragile body closer to hers, and readied her wings for flight. She bounced on the branch, scowling in disgust as the entire, weak mortal tree swayed with her, then leapt into the air, shiny wings arcing out gracefully to catch a current of air and drift above the tree tops majestically before remembering just how much further they had to go.

She had to get the child swiftly and safely to the Seer, but they still had a long way to go; she'd never be able to make it in time, especially not in a headlong rush. Imperative though it was, especially now so with Yugi suddenly taken ill, the harpy had to try to keep his strength up.

Decision made, she folded her wings a bit to narrow them, then fluttered down amongst the trees again. Her sharp gaze darted quickly around the forest floor; the talons on her feet spread, ready to catch their dinner, then she dove at the groundhog, who was nibbling on a flower.

***************

The image of a small, copper harpy sitting in a tree and cradling an emerald green swathed bundle flitted briefly across the pale, pearlized water. The young female reached out with her dark hands and shook the white shell basin; the shimmery water rippled, and the image moved in closer.

A finely shaped hand reached into a ceramic pot near the basin then sprinkled some powdered unicorn horn across the water's surface. The image lost its blur and became heavily detailed, showing the woman-bird chewing on hunks of raw meat, grinding it up, then transferring it to the mouth of her burden. As the details cleared, sweat could be seen on the child's unnaturally pale skin, his small body shivering and his eyes glazed and unfocused.

"My predictions were right. But I didn't count on Yami's hikari having a fever." The girl waved a hand over her scrying pool, and the water instantly cleared. She turned, her huge earrings clinking against one another, waist length raven hair swaying, and the flasks, daggers and charms hung about her belt rattling against one another.

Her long legs carried her swiftly down the huge, chilly corridors of the vast castle, across the grounds, and up the vast flights of stairs to the highest of the four towers. She cupped her hands around her mouth and called out to the skies. "AYAR!" /You don't have to be so loud, Isis./ A gruff voice yawned behind her. The Seer whirled around to see a huge beast rise from its nest of hay and feathers. The beast had the golden body of a lion, with thick, sharp claws, and the bronze head of an eagle, with piercing amber eyes and a hooked beak, and a magnificent, regal set of bronze, copper, and gold feathered wings.

The griffin stretched his paws, his front claws automatically flexing and scraping against the ancient stone, then his tail swishing as his hind legs stretched. He yawned, snapping his beak and twisting his head, then unfolded his wings from alongside his body to reveal a majestic wingspan of nearly twenty feet.

Isis turned to face the griffin. "Ayar, it's time to-"

/Yeah, Yeah, fetch the kid and the bird, I know./ The lion bird continued with his stretching, then came over and walked around the girl, his body brushing against her back and torso as she reached out to stroke his feathered head then his sleek, furry back. He then sat on his haunches, tail curling about his feet, and caught one of his wings with his beak, cleaning his feathers and occasionally plucking a few torn ones out.

"Ayar-"

Ayar raised his head, his sharp eyes pinning Isis. /I'm going, I'm going. I don't see why they can't wait another hour or so./

"Pegasus could find them easily; there isn't any other magic around them. And a harpy is easy enough to detect, if not by her magic, then by her stench. The child is in danger."

Ayar stretched his wings again and looked longingly at his nest. /That cursed Magician had better appreciate this./ He muttered.

"Wait." Isis called, opening the slit in her caramel dress, which clung loosely to her body, to remove a small, jeweled dagger. "Give this to the hikari; Yami would want him to have it."

Ayar snorted, air whistling as it past through the two nostril holes in his beak. /Give it to him when he gets here./

Isis shuddered and pressed the weapon upon the griffon. "I've held onto this thing for over a thousand years; the sooner I get rid of it, the better. Besides, the little one may need its protection."

Ayar suddenly opened his wings, their tips expanding over the top of the tower. His keen eyes flashed with amusement as Isis gasped and jumped back against the railing, one hand on her heaving chest as she almost toppled off the tower backwards. She opened her mouth to say something, but the griffon crouched down, like a cat ready to pounce, then sprang with a mighty leap straight up into the air, his wings flapping down, one of them nearly knocking into Isis, and he rose with two swift thrusts high above the clouds and out of sight.