Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Blue Magic ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Jounouchi, up!"

"Wha--?" My mouth can't move. My lips are limp and numb and there's a bad pounding in my head. Right above my eyes, too. My eyes open but don't focus. All I can see is some blurred figure standing next to my bed.

"I said 'Up'!" he says again. "You've been doin' nothin' but mopin' around for the past two days and I'm damn sick of it! So get up! We're goin' out."

"Out?" I lift my head and look at him standing there, my eyes slowly focusing so that I can make out who it is exactly. "Where?"

"Don't matter. Get up. Before I get your ass up myself."

I moan. "Honda… I wanna sleep…"

"I don't care what you want," he responds, his arms crossed stubbornly in front of him. "You need this Jou. And that's that."

By this time I've managed to sit up in bed, but I make no attempt to get out. "Need what? What's your major malfunction?"

"You, genius. You've been doin' nothin' but sleepin' ever since you and that rich bastard broke up. I'm gonna getchu over it for your own good."

"Honda… It ain't that easy… Seto… Kaiba and I were goin' good. And then all of a sudden…"

"That's what you said the last time you broke up. And the time before that. And it was that easy, remember?"

I remember… "Damn it Honda, why're you always right?"

"Cuz I'm me. Now come on, we're meetin' Yug and Anzu and Bakura in a few minutes."

I set a hand on my head, scratching sleepily with my nails through my rustled hair. "Fine. Just lemme get dressed and shit."

"Sure, just hurry up, okay? You know how Anzu gets when we make her wait." He winks at me and leaves finally, shutting the door behind him. I groan. I really don't feel like going anywhere, but there was no getting out of anything when Honda had made up his mind. I grab some clothes from my dresser drawers and change quickly and did that whole morning routine thing and met Honda out in the living room. He put a hand on my shoulder and led me out of the apartment and outside.

"So where're we goin'?" I ask.

"Down to the coffee shop on the corner by Yug's house. The others should already be there, you took so long gettin' ready."

I frown. "Did not. So who's payin' for all this? I ain't got no money."

"Don't worry about it, I gotchu covered," he replies.

We walk side by side down the sidewalk for a few blocks, the coffee shop being not to far from my apartment house. He opens the door for me, which is weird in and of itself, but whatever. I go in and Yugi waves me over to the table that he and Anzu and Bakura were sitting at. Honda pats me on the shoulder and smiles, nodding his head at the others. I nod and follow him over, sitting in between him and Yug.

"Hey Jou," everybody says to me, smiles all around. "How're you feeling?"

I shrug. What can I tell them? I feel like shit, thanks for asking. "Okay. Gettin' better, I guess."

"That's good," Anzu says.

"But for some reason, I'm not believing you," Bakura adds.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask.

"He's right, Jou," Yugi says. "You don't look so good. I mean, you just broke up two days ago. And we know how much you liked Kaiba."

I don't say anything to that. Not Yugi, or anybody else for that matter, knows how much I like Kaiba. Not even Seto himself. I can't live without him. I don't just like him, I love him. No matter what anybody else says or thinks.

"But don't worry Jou," Anzu tells me. "We're all here for you. If you need someone to talk to, all of us will be here."

I give her a half smile. "Thanks. I know."

"Anyway," Honda interrupts. "This meeting's supposed to get your mind off of Kaiba. So let's talk about something else now, okay?"

I nod. "Okay."

And we do. We talk about a lot of things from school to Honda's sister's crush on some clerk at the mall. Strangely, I find myself calming, not giving any thoughts to the one I lost. My friends always know how to distract me, to make me feel better whenever anything goes wrong. That's why I love them. Heh, sounds cheesy, but it's true. Pretty soon, my spirits are back up and I'm laughing and talking along with them. But then…

I hear your favorite music on the jukebox
And right away I know that you are here

"Damn," I hear Honda curse and I follow his gaze over to the corner where two figures are standing. One is short with wild black hair and a pleased smile on his face. The other is tall with a long coat spreading itself out behind him.

"That's---" Yugi says.

"Seto?" I finish for him.

"What's he doing here?" Anzu frowns, obvious displeasure in her voice.

You always pick a time
Just when I think my mind is clear
You reappear

Then he notices me. His sharp blue eyes meet mine and my heart stops as my brain turns to mush. Our eyes are locked for a moment, then a slight smile forms on his handsome face. Then he starts heading toward me and I hold my breath, gazing into those beautiful cerulean orbs. What is he up to? Why is he coming this way? What does he want? Whatever it is, I'm glad for it. It gives me another chance to loose myself in those icy blue oceans.

And once again you've got me in your power

"Katsuya," he says in that growling tone mixed with curiosity and a hint of tiredness.

"Kaiba," I respond. It is uneasily silent for a moment and I know all my friends are giving him cold glares.

Unexpectedly, he offers me a strong hand. "Want to dance?"

This time I hope it's not a brief romance

The question hits all of us hard. My heart jumps into my throat and I nearly choke responding with, "Wh-what?"

"You heard me. Now hurry up if you're going to. Because the offer drops if somebody comes in here and sees."

Typical Seto.

"What the hell? You think Jou is that dumb?" Honda snarls. "Get the hell outta here!"

Seto's eyes never leave mine, but I can feel the air drop several degrees.

"Katsuya?"

I swallow. I know this is gonna be bad.

Cause it's too late to run
You've got me thinkin' one slow dance
Is worth a chance

But I take his hand and he pulls me to my feet. I hear Honda make a weird sound of disapproval, but I don't care. Seto's come back for me, just like I knew he would.

And that ol' blue magic
Still works like a charm
As if you never even left these achin' arms
You put a spell on me
I guess I'll always be hypnotized
By that blue magic in your eyes

He pulls me over to the jukebox, near where Mokuba is sitting, smiling happily at us. I hardly notice him though, as my sights are focused entirely on Seto and his magnificent pools of blue. They've always had some sort of magic to them, and I've never been able to resist them, or deny Seto anything he wanted after I've looked into their depths. It's so refreshing to be back in his arms, our eyes locked onto one another in remembrance.

Though I should run and hide from this illusion
Your smile is so much quicker than my pride

And as he leads me around the floor in his arms, I suddenly feel so happy. This is what I want, no matter what my friends think. This is what truly makes me happy.

There's something up your sleeve
That makes my heart believe inside
This carpet ride might lift us up and fly us to forever
But up till now it's all been slight of hand

I can't help but be suspicious. I mean really, just the other day he told me to drop dead. He's so complicated and hard to figure out. But it's all good. That's what I love about him. He never lets anybody see exactly what's on his mind, though I've gotten a glance here and there before.

I've got to face the facts
One look and I'm right back again at your command

We move smoothly across the floor, warm in each other's arms. I can feel my friends' eyes burning a hole in the back of my head, but all I see are Seto's two perfect orbs. I lose myself so easily in those shimmering jewels and I can see the love hidden behind them. The love he has only for me.

And that ol' blue magic
Still works like a charm
As if you never even left these achin' arms
You put a spell on me
I guess I'll always be hypnotized
By that blue magic in your eyes

He pulls away and stands in front of me, looking down into my face. I blink, confused for a minute before I realize that an elderly couple had come in through the front door. Seto never let anyone outside of our circle see our relationship. Too many chances for blackmail, I guess. But before he goes back to his seat across from Mokuba, he sends me a glance that makes my heart melt. That's another breakup done and over with.

Yes you put a spell on me
I guess I'll always be hypnotized
By that blue magic
That ol' blue magic
That blue magic in your eyes