Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Breaking the Habit ❯ Happy day! ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hello, everybody! How're you doing? Today, I've decided to write a fanfic starring our favourite starfish boy! Yeah, you know who I'm talking about. This one has only slight shounen ai. -.-;; I hoped to pair up Yami and Yugi together but this story's writing itself and it won't listen to me! The ending's different than you probably think it would be, trust me. Just give it a chance, okay?

Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-Gi-Oh, Anzu would've been killed off long ago and I would've made my stories into episodes!

[...] hikari to yami mindlink
[[...]] yami to hikari mindlink

&&&&&&&&&&&

Breaking the Habit


Yugi sighed as he made his way down the lonely street to his home. It had been another ordinary day at school. Nothing important happened. Not to him anyway. Seto Kaiba had decided to organize another tournament. Of course, he expected the tri-colour haired boy to enter. But it wasn't like Yugi would have an important role in this one. It was just like the others. Yami, the pharoah, would do everything and get all the glory. He would save the world and everyone would expect him to save it again when the next psychopath decides to use a card game to take over the world.

The boy remembered the many times he'd taken part in Duel Monsters tournaments. Yugi would try to duel and Yami would take over his body and force him to sit back and watch from his soul room. Of course, the great 'King of Games' would do this whenever he tried to play other games too. Yami obviously thought it would be for the best, but even the memory of this made Yugi's heart hurt. It seemed to him that even though he loved his yami very much, the taller boy didn't even think of him as anything more than a soul whose body he used to be able to win games. The more Yugi thought this, the more his heart ached. He wanted so badly for Yami to love him. But, that would never happen. The pharoah wasn't the type of person to fall for a boy like Yugi. He didn't even know if Yami even liked any boys in that way.

/Memories consume
Like opening the wound
I'm picking me apart again/

Yugi once tried to rid himself of this duty of saving the stupid world. He thought that if he cut himself enough, he would eventually die. It had almost worked until he let some of his thoughts slip. He had been looking forward to getting home and starting his usual routine of making cuts in his arms.

Since his Grandpa had to watch the shop everyday and Yami was safely locked away in his soul room, he never got caught before. He had been thinking about it all day because it was the only thing that distracted him from the world and all of his problems. During school, he made sure that Yami wasn't listening to his thoughts. But since he was so close to home, he let his guard down. He didn't notice when Yami had gotten bored and decided to see what Yugi was thinking about.

Yami was very surprised as he listened to Yugi thinking about cutting himself and forgetting all of the things that bothered him. He immediately took over the boy's body and looked at his arms. They were covered in cuts, most of which seemed fairly new. He was shocked to know what his aibou had been doing to himself. After Yami had informed everyone else on what was happening, they decided to keep the boy away from anything sharp. They told him that they had found out and sent him to therapy.

Of course, they assumed that if he was locked in his room at night, he wouldn't be able to get to the knives. That was true, unless he used something else and tried to cut himself again. But everyone agreed that Yami was responsible enough to not let that happen.

/You all assume
I'm safer in my room
Unless I try to start again/

Yugi had only done that because he was tired of having to save everyone all the time. He didn't want everyone to be so dependent on him. It wasn't fair and he didn't understand why they didn't see that. His mind was filled with so many confusing thoughts that he assumed were coming from Yami's soul room.

/I don't want to be the one
Who battles always choose
'Cause inside I realize
That I'm the one confused/

There were so many things in the world that needed to be saved. Their fate couldn't be decided by just a card game. Everything needed to be helped in a different way. But which one was actually worth fighting for? Why did everything always depend on him? Could one person really make that much of a difference? There were so many other questions swirling around in his mind. It was so overwhelming it made him want to scream. He wanted to be gone. He wanted to be left alone to live a normal life. Without an ancient spirit living within his body. Without so much responsibility. Without friends who expected so much of him.

/I don't know what's worth fighting for
Or why I have to scream
I don't know why I instigate
And say what I don't mean/

He didn't know how he became such a loner. He used to want to be around people. He wanted to be noticed and to have friends. But now he just wanted to be alone. He knew it wasn't normal for a perosn to feel that way, but he couldn't help it. He didn't want to enter another tournament like he always did. He didn't want to save anything this time.

'Maybe if I'm gone, I won't have to deal with these things anymore. Other people can save the world. I don't want my destiny to be predetermined.' He thought. He looked at the mirror that hung on his wall and got an idea.

/I don't know how I got this way
I know it's not alright
So I'm breaking the habit
I'm breaking the habit tonight/

He stood up off of the floor where he had been sitting and looked in the mirror. He made his hand into a fist and punched the glass as hard as he could, causing it to shatter. He looked at the broken pieces of glass on the floor and then at his hand. He watched as blood spewed out of the open wound. He picked up a large piece of the glass off of the floor. He held on to it as he walked over the door and locked it.

He went over to his bed and sat on it. He thought about all the things he hated about his life and it made his heart hurt once again. He thought about how Yami didn't care about him and how he always forced him to stay in his soul room. He just pushed him away and left him there until he got bored of playing games.

Yugi felt tears in his eyes as he thought about Yami. Why couldn't Yami love him? Why couldn't he even -pretend- to like him a little bit? Then, maybe it wouldn't hurt so much. He couldn't go on living like this; in so much pain. He had no other options left other than to go through with this. It was the only thing he could do to rid himself of the pain he felt.

/Clutching my cure
I tightly lock the door
I try to catch my breath again
I hurt much more
Than anytime before
I have no options left again/

He felt so alone, so unwanted. If anyone really cared for him, they would have noticed the sound of his shattering mirror. His Grandpa's hearing wasn't so bad that he wouldn't hear it. And he was sure that people would be over to see the 'Great King of Games'.

/I dont want to be the one
Who battles always choose
'Cause inside I realize
That I'm the one confused/

Yugi thought he would wait a little while before starting the first part of his plan. He would wait until he heard the voices of Yami's guests. As he thought about this, he tightened his grip on the large piece of glass he held in his hands.

/I don't know what's worth fighting for
Or why I have to scream
I don't know why I instigate
And say what I don't mean

I don't know how I got this way
I'll never be alright
So, I'm breaking the habit
I'm breaking the habit tonight/

[Yami.]

[[Yes, aibou? I didn't even know you were home.]]

[Could you come upstairs for a moment? I'm in my room]

[[Alright, I'll be there in a second.]] Yami told his friends he'd be back in a minute and left the room. He went up the stairs and found Yugi's door locked so he knocked on it.

Yugi stood up slowly and went to the door. He unlocked it and went back to where he was sitting before. The 'King of Games' could open the door himself if he really wanted to. He watched as the former pharoah stepped into the room.

"Hey, aibou." He said, walking towards Yugi. Then he noticed the broken glass that was scattered across the floor. "What happened?" Yugi didn't answer. "Hikari? Answer me." Still no answer.

He sat down beside his light, not noticing the glass in the boy's hand. Yugi looked up with an evil smile on his face. Yami didn't know that his innocent hikari was capable of such an expression. The smaller boy slowly stood up and looked down at his yami.

"I'm tired of this game, Yami. I'm sick of having to save the world just because I happened to find a 3000 year old spirit inside of a puzzle. I don't want to continue fighting to save a planet that doesn't even appreciate it so I won't. I'll never play this game again and you won't bother me anymore. This is where it ends for you. I think 3000 years is long enough for a person to live, don't you?"

/I'll paint it on the walls
'Cause I'm the one at fault
I'll never fight again
and this is how it ends/

"I don't understand, Yugi. W-What do you mean?" Yami stuttered, suddenly finding himself scared of his own hikari.

"This is what I mean." Yugi replied, bringing the glass he was holding down to Yami's chest, forcing it into his heart. The former pharoah let out a cry of pain as the glass hit him. He could only watch as his blood started to pour uncontrollably out of his body. (AN: I know that he's already a spirit and he can't die but... He can here because I say so..)

Yugi watch for a moment before leaving his room and going down the stairs. He put on his shoes and coat and was about to go out the door when someone stopped him.

"Hey, Yug, do you know when Yami's gonna come back down?" It was Jyonouchi.

"Why don't you go ask him yourself?" He asked, no emotion in his voice. He didn't wait for an answer and went out the door.

/I don't know what's worth fighting for
Or why I have to scream
But now I have some clarity
to show you what I mean/

Once outside, he headed towards a small forest. It took him about an hour to walk there, and when he reached it, he removed the Millenium puzzle from around his neck. He never wanted to see it again, it would only remind him of Yami, so he threw it as far as he could into the forest and started on his way back to the Kame Game shop.

He would never have to deal with his yami anymore, or hold the responsibily of saving a world that was doomed anyway. He could start over and think of other things, rather than a card game that people took way too seriously.

He turned around for a moment to take one last look at the forest where the puzzle would stay until someone else found it. He smiled slightly and resumed walking towards his home.

/I don't know how I got this way
I'll never be alright
So, I'm breaking the habit
I'm breaking the habit
Breaking the habit tonight/

&&&&&&&&&&&&&

And that's it!! I'm finally done!!!! Yatta! I hope you liked it and please review!! I won't be adding another chapter to it though.. That would sort of change the whole point of making a 'One shot'.

Anyways, I'll see you later!