Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Breaking Through ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Breaking Through

SakT: I have never tried anything like this before so…well…don't blame me if it doesn't turn out right.

Bakura: Pathetic. You're grovelling already and haven't even started the fic. Get up woman and write.

Ryou: Aw, leave her alone.

Disclaimer: No, I don't own anything, as much as I'd like to. Hey! Maybe one day there will be stories with declaimers saying: The characters belongs to SAKURTREE! I'll be rich, I tell you. RICH!

Bakura runs up and pushes Sakuratree off her chair. "No. I'LL be rich."

Ryou: Um, I thought I said leave her alone…

***

Baka-Idiot

Imooto-Younger sister

Okaasan-Mother

Otoosan-Father

Anzu-Tea (for people who watch the dubbed.)

Usual stuff. But I'm not sure if the Italics are working. So…

"…" Talking

`…' either Thoughts/weird voices in your head.

***

Disclaimer: I do own Yu-Gi-Oh!

…God, I hope you didn't believe that.

***

O my beautiful one,
I wish I were part of your affairs, like a wife.
With your hand in mine
your love would be returned.
I implore my heart:
"If my true love stays away tonight,
I shall be like someone already
in the grave."
Are you not my health and my life?
How joyful is your good health

For the heart that seeks you!

Actual 3000 year old Egyptian love poem

***

"N-no. Yami, please. I'm sorry, I won't do it again. Please." For what Ryou was begging for, he didn't exactly know, but he'd rather apologise than stick up for himself. He let out a small, petrified whimper as the dark side forced him against the wall. Bakura looked down at the shaking Hikari, a disgusted smirk playing at his lips.

"I've told this to you a million times," the thief snarled, using one hand to grasp Ryou's throat. He squeezed gently so that Ryou could breathe, but still felt discomfort. Bakura could feel the Hikari's pulse racing beneath his hand. "Never give money away. I don't care if the all the fucking homeless died tonight. There are better things to with money." Bakura's grip tightened, causing Ryou to gasp slightly. "My fucking money."

`Please,' Ryou begged silently, not having enough air in his lungs to speak. `Kill me already, I don't want to go through this again. Please Bakura, I know you can hear me. Just get it over and done with. I know that someday, when you have your own body, you'll come after me. You won't need me anymore. But please, stab me, drown me, anything!'

Then why didn't he do it himself? `Why?' Ryou thought more to himself. `Why don't I just do it already? A bullet in the head or a slit in the wrists would never hurt as much as this. Why…?' He thought more about it. `Because I…care?' The last thought surprised him a little. He didn't want Bakura to hear that. But that seemed to encourage the thought even more. With more strength, it continued. `It's true, if I died then Bakura would be stuck in the ring again…'

`Does he deserve it though? Does he deserve your consideration?' A voice rang clearly through his mind. Ryou's eyes widened at the question and quickly made sure that the link was blocked before he made his answer. Bakura was sure to make Ryou's life a living hell if he found out.

`No.'

`Then why do you bother?'

"Why do I have to be stuck with you?" Bakura was yelling. Ryou didn't hear him. He was too busy thinking. "You are pathetic!" Bakura raised a hand and struck Ryou cheek. Ryou's head painfully hit the wall with a bang. Several pictures fell from their hooks and crashed to the ground. The frames broke and glass shattered, lying all over the pictures they used to hold. "Weak!" Slap. The lights blew, the moon disappeared behind a cloud and the pair were shrouded in darkness.

`I don't know…I don't know.'

`You love him, right.'

`Yes…yes I do.'

"Why." Slap. "Am." Slap. "I." Slap. "Cursed with you!" Bakura screamed. His grip on Ryou's throat tightened even more so Ryou was on the very edge of passing out. The Hikari pulled and tugged at the offending hand, but all in vain.

`How can you love him?'

`He doesn't hurt me all the time. There is a good side to every person.'

`You're the good side…'

`I don't look at it that way. Besides, no one else loves him…'

`So then, you're the only one who does it? You can't think of anyone who loves you, can you.'

`Otoosan…'

`Your father isn't here. You and Bakura only have each other. But then why does he hurt you?'

"Why do you hurt me?" Ryou choked out, feeling faint from the lack of air.

Bakura stopped squeezing. The question startled him. Ryou gasped and greedily gulped in large amount of oxygen.

"What?" the Yami whispered, his voice deathly quiet.

"Why do you hurt me?" Ryou repeated, with a hint of defiance in his voice. "I've never done anything to you…" Ryou looked up angrily. He felt a rebellious spirit building up at the bottom of his stomach and the adrenaline pumping through his veins; something that he had never experienced before. "So why do you hurt me!" he yelled. Bakura stared, dumbfounded. He had never, ever heard Ryou raise his voice or do such thing.

`He's angry at me?' he thought, confused. The thief then realised how stupid that sounded. `Of course he'd be angry, or the very least scared.' Fear was what he wanted. Fear meant respect and respect meant power. `But the more fear there is, the less chance there is of him loving me.' Bakura never wanted to admit it to anyone, but he loved gentle, timid Ryou and the reason of the abuse was so that absolutely no one would guess about his secret crush. But he never thought that gentle, timid Ryou would be angry with him. Bakura could still see the rage burning in Ryou's eyes. But as soon as they appeared, the flames died down. Ryou blinked and the same quiet brown eyes returned. He blinked again and then realised what he had just said. His hand flew to his mouth.

`I am dead.'

Bakura, as if sensing weakness, growled and let Ryou fall to the ground. "You dare defy me?" His voice was dripping with venom. He looked down at Ryou as if he were some sort of nasty bug, though the glare didn't seem as strong as before. It had an almost, apologising spark in them. Ryou whimpered and tried to put as much space between himself and Bakura. He pressed himself against the wall; a sign of submission. Bakura mentally smirked.

Ryou looked up at him, and tried to tell what was going on in his head. His face showed nothing. But the confused and the uncertain look in Bakura's narrowed eyes told Ryou everything.

`He doesn't know why he hit me…'the realisation hit Ryou like another cold slap in the face.

`He doesn't know.' Tears began to form around Ryou's eyes. So, he had just been a punching bag for nothing. There was no need for a punishment; he was being abused for the sake of it. Why couldn't Bakura vent his anger out on something else? Something that didn't breathe, think or feel? Ryou felt a lump start to grow at the bottom of his throat. `No, don't you dare cry. Please, don't cry. It'll just give Bakura another reason to hit me.' Ryou paused in his thoughts for a moment. `Like he had a reason to begin with anyway,' he finished, somewhat gravely. Ryou glanced at his abuser. The thief king's eyes were clouded by…thoughtfulness? Ryou shook himself and swallowed a small, slightly hysterical, laugh. Yes, Bakura was being thoughtful. Suuuure.

Bakura couldn't tell what Ryou was thinking. His eyes were glazed and moist, staring at the floor. His face showed nothing, aside from the many dark bruises and scratches, left there by yours truly. For a moment, Bakura thought he saw a ghost of a smile appear on his light's face. The tomb thief scowled. He raised a foot to kick him.

The tears dripped down Ryou's face. They ran down in streams and trickled off his cheeks. One by one, the drops fell and hit Ryou's bare chest, as Bakura had ripped the bloodied shirt off earlier. The yami lowered his leg and his eyes widened in surprise. Ryou had never cried before. He had bled, moaned, screamed, begged but never cried. Bakura shook his head franticly. `W-what's happening, I'm not taking pity on him? Bakura started to panic as the flow of water started to increase and began to run down his chest. He never knew how to deal with tears. Screaming, begging, cursing and pleading, yes. He could work with that. But those tears…

"H-hey, stop that," Bakura said, with an uncertain edge in his voice. Ryou curled up into a protective ball, his head hidden underneath his arms. The Yami could hear muffled sobs coming from his Hikari. "N-no, please Ryou. Don't cry." Bakura crouched down and patted Ryou awkwardly on the back. The Hikari stopped crying for a moment and raised his head. He stared at Bakura with confused, blood-shot eyes.

"Y-you…" Ryou couldn't get the words out. "You, y-ou…" He gave up and buried his head back under his arms, shaken by sobs.

"Wait, stop. W-what do you want?" Bakura stood up, panic evident on his face. "Look, what will make you stop the crying? I'll get it for you!" Ryou looked up again, shock evident on his face. Bakura bit his lip.

"You'd do that?" Ryou muttered. Bakura nodded furiously.

"Look, anything to stop the crying." A look of doubt crossed Ryou's face for a moment. He considered it for a moment, and then leapt at the surprised tomb robber, knocking him off balance.

"Oi! What the-?" They both tumbled to the ground, Ryou curled up on top and clutching Bakura's shirt. He was breathing heavily. A fresh batch of wailing was threatening to break out. Bakura sat up slowly and ended up cradling the crying boy. "What in fucking hell was that?" Somehow, that didn't come out as harsh as intended. Bakura sounded a bit annoyed, but his tone had softened. "I ask you what you want and end up getting flattened! I don't see any sense in- mppffff!" Bakura was cut off as Ryou wrapped his arms around him and squeezed as if he would never let go.

"I wanted…you," Ryou murmured, his face buried in Bakura's chest. Bakura didn't understand, and it took a moment for the realisation to dawn on him what Ryou had just said. He gulped slightly and moved ever so slowly away from Ryou. The Hikari reluctantly sat up and sniffed.

"Wait, you want…you want me?" Bakura didn't get it. Ryou nodded shakily and latched himself onto Bakura once again, beginning to wail. Bakura raised his eyebrows, but he awkwardly put his arms around the shaking Ryou in a half hug. "Shh," he whispered in a comforting tone.

"I just n-needed someone with me. Y-you know, after Okaasan and Amane, my Imooto died, my Otoosan abandoned me for a while. He became distant, cold and lonely. It seemed like there was s-some kind of…some kind of wall that surrounded him. As much as I tried, I couldn't break through to him. I did everything I could, but he stayed alone. Through his eyes, I was just a reminder of what my mother looked like. " Ryou hastily wiped away the tears that were starting to drip again. "T-that's why he spends so much time away. He talks to me now, but he's still different. He's changed so much! He still loves me I know, but he can't show it. He can't show it!" Ryou looked at Bakura through tearful eyes. "I just need someone to love me and prove it." Bakura raised his eyebrows and looked away. He appeared to be thinking about something and Ryou could feel uncertainty thrumming through the link.

"Bakura?"

"Well, if that's what you want Ryou…" Bakura brought up his hand and gently touched Ryou's tear stained cheek. "I…I…aw, fuck this." Bakura quickly placed his other hand on the back of Ryou's head and pulled him into a rough kiss. Ryou could see that his Yami's eyes were closed as they kissed, and slowly, his own brown orbs slid shut. Bakura quickly gained control over the kiss, attacking Ryou's lip until he was given entrance. Their tongues duelled and Ryou's fingers tangled themselves in Bakura's hair. It was only for a second, but it seemed like an eternity until they had to pull away for air.

"Wow…" Ryou said, looking at Bakura.

"Yeah, well, I suppose I should have warned you but…my love confession wasn't exactly smooth. Oh, and my apologises if I just stole your first kiss."

"But," Ryou said before snuggling right into Bakura's chest. "You may have been the one I wanted to give it too." Bakura's eyes widened with shock for a moment, but was then replaced by a smile of content.

"I'm that irresistible, huh?" he said, nipping at Ryou's ear. Ryou nodded sleepily.

"You know, I didn't like the way that Anzu was staring at you yesterday. She thought it was-." He yawned. "-me, but you were in control at the time." Bakura smirked at the half-sleeping boy.

"Come one, we should find some candles. The blasted light broke."

"Uh-huh," Ryou murmured. Seeing that he wouldn't move, Bakura dumped Ryou onto his bed and spent fifteen minutes searching for some source of light.

Fifteen minutes and thirty candles later…

The room was filled with lavender scented candles, making the shadows dance on the walls and filling the room with an overpowering smell of flowers. The broken glass on the floor glinted like dew in the morning. Yami and Hikari were leaning on each other on the couch, talking in soft voices. Bakura sneezed.

"I HATE lavender," he muttered, the annoyance evident in his voice. Ryou shrugged.

"Well, you're the one who chose them," he said smiling.

"You had to bring that part up, didn't you?"

"Yeah…you know, this feels incredibly romantic. I don't even this Yugi's Yami would have thought of this."

"What? Candles?"

"Yep," Ryou moved even closer to Bakura, ending up on top of him. "And you know what will make this even better?" he murmured in the dark spirits ear.

"What? A better love confession?" Bakura smirked. "I suppose `aw, fuck this' is really romantic."

Ryou laughed. "Well, yes. But that's not what I was thinking of. No…would you…sing to me?" Bakura developed a hacking cough at that very moment.

"What?" he spluttered. "Me? Sing to you? What should I…" Ryou nodded.

"Just anything. I don't mind. If you don't know any just," Ryou grinned. "make one up."

"Oh, alright." Ryou smiled encouragingly. Bakura stood up
and started singing.

When you, um, cry upon a pillow,
or tears fall down a cheek."

"It's just emotions… overflowing,
Not a sign of being,
um, weak."

Bakura was really getting into it now.

"We show emotions in different ways,
We can often loose control."

"We cry of memories cherished,
The ones in my heart and soul."

"So when I cry I'm not ashamed,
It's not a thing I try to hide."

"Teardrops flow when I feel pain,
Why keep it bottled inside?"

The spirit smiled proudly. "Well, what do you think of that Ryou. Ryou?" Ryou had fallen asleep, with a blissful smile on his face. Bakura placed his hands on his hips in mock annoyance. "Feh, baka. After all that, and now you're asleep." Bakura picked Ryou up and took him to bed.

"You know," Bakura said, once he tucked the sleeping Ryou in. "The reason I hurt you was so that you'd toughen up. It can be a harsh world out there," Bakura gently moved Ryou's hair out of his face. "Believe me, I know. I never meant to hurt this bad. And I'll tell you this." Bakura whispered in Ryou's ear. "I didn't want anyone to know that I liked you. So I covered it up by hitting you instead of hitting on you. There, happy now?" Not expecting an answer, Bakura turned away.

"Yes, I'm very happy now."

"What?" Bakura looked back. Ryou still had his eyes closed, but was grinning madly. Bakura smiled. "You know, koi. Since I kissed you, there was something I've forgotten to say." Bakura moved back towards Ryou.

"I love you."


"I love you too."

***

SakT: Oh how nice…this is my first one shot. If you are planning on flaming it, please tell me why.