Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Breathe ❯ Breathe ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

`Ello, folks! ShadowFireHeart here once again! This is just a one shot songfic with absolutely NO YAOI!!! It sounds that way, but I found how to turn it into a friendship thing. Personally, I think that even if Atem and Yugi WERE gay, they wouldn't be right for each other. Ok, enough chitchat, enjoy this songfic!
 
And quick warning: contains depression, attempted suicide, and general sadness. If you hate that kinda stuff, skip to the happy ending at the bottom. ^^. I still wonder what possessed me to write this… (_ _;;)
 
Disclaimer: I do NOT own Yu-Gi-Oh! Or the song “Breathe” by Taylor Swift, as much as I would like to.
 
Breathe
 
I see you face in my mind as I drive away
`Cause none of us it was gonna end that way
 
Yugi slowly got into the Jeep that he and his friends had used to cross the Egyptian desert to the ancient Temple of the Pharaoh's Memories. Just seconds ago, he had been with Atem, the spirit that had shared his body for four years. But now, that close friendship had gone, as well as the Millennium Puzzle that had brought Yugi all of his friends.
They all knew that it was time for the pharaoh to go home. They just didn't know it would be over that quickly.
 
People are people and sometimes we change our mind
But it's killin me to see you go after all this time
 
All of the gang were very upset to see their best friend go, but not as much as Yugi. Atem had been the one light that shone through his darkness, and pulled him out of the hole that he had lain in for years. Likewise, Yugi had cut through the darkness surrounding the pharaoh, and returned his memories to Atem. They couldn't just separate after all they had been through.
But they had, and there was no changing the past.
 
Mmm, mm mm mm mm
Mmm, mm mm mm mm
 
Te'a glanced at Yugi. Tears still clung to her azure eyes, but she knew that there was no point in crying. Crying wouldn't bring him back. Yugi, although his eyes had dried, stared at the Egyptian sand with an expression like that of a zombie.
“Yugi,” she said softly, but he didn't turn. “Yugi, I know it's hard. It's hard for all of us, but…” Joey put a hand on her shoulder.
“Leave him be,” he said softly, “He just needs some alone time right now.”
Although Yugi gave no indication that he had heard his friends, inwardly he was grateful to Joey. He knew that Te'a only wanted to help, but he just wanted-no, needed-to be alone.
Alone, ha. He had never been alone until just minutes ago.
 
Music starts playin like the end of a sad movie
It's the kinda endin you don't really wanna see
 
Marik, who was driving, idly turned on the radio. (SFH: yeah, right. Like there would be any reception in the desert…) there was a depressing song playing, and it was called “Breathe,” by Taylor Swift, a popular American country singer. Yugi listened to a few lines and though, that's how I feel, only without the relationship.
He never wanted it to be this way. During the duel between him and his other half, he seriously considered losing on purpose, so that the pharaoh could stay with him. However, that would be crueler than anything he could imagine.
 
`Cause it's tragedy and it'll only bring you down
Now I dunno what to be without you around
 
Yugi wondered what he would do, now that he was the only soul in his body. Maybe he would continue his training as a duelist, to keep the memory of the King of Games alive. He no longer had the Egyptian God Cards, but that was okay. He could beat Kaiba again and again, so that he wouldn't be the only one with pain.
No. Now he was thinking the way Yami had, before he was Atem. He couldn't do things like that. Train, yes. Hurt, never.
 
And we know it's never simple, never easy
Never a clean break, no one here to save me
 
It was not easy to come to grips with the fact that he had seen the pharaoh for the last time. To stand there, crying, yes, but filled with a strange kind of hope that one day, he could be strong and fearless, like his hero. That odd feeling kept him on his feet long enough to see Atem off to his future, which he would spend in eternal bliss, long enough to say good-bye.
As soon as they had left the temple, however, he had broken down, with the pain of eternal loss hitting him full force. And no one, not even kind and loving Te'a, could do anything to help.
 
You're the only thing I know
Like the back of my hand
 
Something that had amazed Yugi in the past four years was how close he and Atem had gotten. It was no wonder, seeing as they shared a body. But, they were even closer than that. They idolized each other, for the character traits that the other didn't have. Atem had taught Yugi how to be brave and strong, like him. In return, Yugi had shown the pharaoh the benefits of love and compassion. Thanks to each other, they had become entirely different from what they were before. Before they were only half, but together, they had made a whole.
 
And I can't breathe without you, but I have to
Breathe without you, but I have to
 
A long time ago, Yugi struggled for his life. Without friends, he had fallen deeper and deeper into his dark hole, until it was almost too late to pull him out. He remembered at some point, when he just couldn't take it anymore, the night he tried to end it all…
 
Begin Flashback
 
Yugi stood in the bathroom and stared at his reflection. In his right hand was a knife he had stolen from the kitchen when Grandpa was looking the other way. He stared at himself for a long moment.
No one cares, he told himself, and no one will miss me. He raised the knife to his left wrist to sever the vein, when-
“YUGI!” Grandpa broke through the door, “What are you doing?!” he knocked the knife out of the boy's hands and put it down on the counter.
“How did you…?” Yugi wanted to know.
“I saw you take the knife out of the corner of my eye,” the old man answered, “What in all the afterlives were you thinking?!”
Yugi didn't answer. He never thought of one. He thought he would be gone already.
Grandpa looked at his grandson for a long moment, and then put his arms around him in a bone-crushing hug. Yugi couldn't keep it in any longer; he allowed thick tears to fall from his amethyst eyes into Grandpa's shoulder.
 
End Flashback
 
Four years ago Yugi couldn't get out of bed without wishing he would just die and save the world the trouble of giving him air, water, and food. Suddenly, he was given the gift of the Puzzle, and another soul who acted as a crutch for his broken self. Now he would have to go without the crutch. He couldn't stand alone before, but now he would have to.
 
Never wanted this, never wanna see you hurt
Every little bump in the road I tried to swerve
 
Atem surveyed the surrounding landscape of the afterworld. It was like Egypt, only the sun wasn't so hot, the sand was smoother and silkier, and the pyramids looked younger. Also, his faithful priests and his parents stood with him, gloriously happy to be reunited with their friend and pharaoh.
He allowed an image of the last time he saw Yugi's face to appear before him. The peaceful expression on his partner's face haunted him. Yugi had found it so easy to accept this twist of Fate. But the pharaoh hadn't.
Behind those innocent eyes, he saw the pain of loss and loneliness reflected from his own. He didn't want to leave. Although he was happy to be with his father after five thousand years of waiting, he would have been happier to stay with Yugi, and all the friends he had made. He would even miss his rivalry with Kaiba.
 
People are people and sometimes it doesn't work out
But nothing we say is gonna save us from the fallout
 
He knew that everyone wished desperately for him to stay. Te'a was a living example. The sight of her tear-filled blue eyes made him to stay and comfort her, to tell her that he wouldn't go after all.
That was his second-biggest regret. He never had a chance to tell Te'a about his feelings for her. Yugi knew, though, because at some point during one of their private chats, he accidentally discovered it. Atem, blushing scarlet, had made him promise not to tell. He wondered if Yugi did tell her, just now, in the hour that they were separated.
It wouldn't have worked out. Atem was a pharaoh, and Te'a…well, she was a modern girl, who needed to stay with modern guys. She couldn't date a five thousand year old pharaoh's soul.
 
And we know it's never simple, never easy
Never a clean break, no one here to save me
 
Leaving was the last thing Atem wanted. He had built his ultra-powerful deck in the hopes that he would be victorious, and would have to stay. When he unexpectedly lost, it took all his self-control to not burst into tears. He had to be strong, like Yugi. The pharaoh may have been the King of Games, but it was Yugi who was the REAL hero.
Yes, Atem knew about Yugi's life before he became involved. Yugi had reluctantly shared his memories, about how he stood alone, while everyone else went about their lives, neither knowing nor caring that the young boy was inwardly screaming for help, for a friend, for someone to love him. His parents had never really doted on him, but when they died in a car crash, he was the saddest person to attend their funeral. Why? Because he was so compassionate that he forgave them every time they expressed their non-caring, and even then, he apologized for not being a better son.
Shame on his parents. Yugi was the best person in the world, and they rejected them. No wonder he finally tried to kill himself. Anyone would have with a life like his.
That was why Atem had to stay. For all he knew, that was what Yugi would return to: kindhearted, but alone. He himself was in a slightly depressed state, and no one could help him.
 
You're the only thing I know
Like the back of my hand
 
It was surprising how close he and Yugi had gotten. They had been a little wary of each other in the beginning, but that was over. Little by little, they gained each other's trust, until nothing was kept secret from each other. They had become the greatest and truest of friends. That friendship had driven Yugi to sacrifice his own soul to save Atem's. And it had caused the pharaoh to keep his other half safe long enough to defeat Pegasus and Marik's dark side. It was hard to believe that they would never again have that bond.
 
And I can't breathe without you, but I have to
Breathe without you, but I have to
 
In the brief time that Atem had been the only resident soul in Yugi's body, he had felt like he would never be happy again, because all of his happiness had gone with Yugi. Even his beloved Te'a could nothing to break through his lifelessness. Now no one could, for there was no hope that they could ever be reunited.
…or was there?
 
It's two am, feelin like I just lost a friend
Hope you know it's not easy, easy for me
 
One week later…
 
Yugi lay on his bed, staring at the ceiling. The clock on the bedside table read 2:00am in glowing green letters.
Sleeping was just not coming easily anymore for the teenager. Usually when this happened, Atem, or Yami, as he was before the quest in the World of Memories, would take on some spirit form on the chair, and they would have a little private chat, before the pharaoh would tell Yugi that he had to sleep, and usually, he actually did so.
Not tonight. This time, he was very, very awake.
It's real lonely, being here without you, Atem, he thought.
 
It's two am, feelin like I just lost a friend
Hope you know this ain't easy, easy for me
 
“You mean…it's possible?” Atem said hoarsely.
His father, Pharaoh Ahkennamkhanen, (SFH: wow, THAT was hard to spell…) nodded. “Yes, it is possible for you to occasionally visit the world of mortals in a spirit form. However, it takes a year for the Millennium Items to gather enough power to send you there. It is possible, but only for about twelve hours a year.”
“Could I go…right now?” Yes! He had a chance to see Yugi and Te'a again!
The former pharaoh's gray eyes scrutinized his son. “You miss them a lot, don't you, my son. I could tell the moment you entered paradise with us.”
Atem bit his lip. He felt so much like a child now, with the father he didn't remember for five thousand years.
To his relief, Ahkennamkhanen broke into a kind smile. “I have had the Millennium Items powered up for this for years. You may go right now.”
 
And we know it's never simple never easy
Never a clean break, no one here to save me
Oohhh
 
“Guardians!” Atem's father called out to the afterlife. Instantly, all six were at his side, with the Millennium Items in tow. “Atem would like to visit the mortal's world for a little bit. You will help him.” They all nodded, although Seto looked a little skeptical, and grouped in a circle around their pharaoh. All the Items began to glow bright gold, including the Puzzle around Atem's neck.
Suddenly, a golden light shot out of the Millennium Necklace around Isis's neck, and hit the Puzzle, linking them with gold. It was followed by a light that came forth from Mahad's Ring, also linking itself to the Puzzle, then from Karim's Scales, then Ahkenaden's Eye (SFH: aaawkward….), then from Shada's Key, and then finally, though rather reluctantly, Seto's Rod, until six golden streaks linked the Items to the Puzzle.
Atem suddenly felt giddy. He was about to see Yugi, see Te'a, Joey, Tristan, and Ryo! He was really going back! Those were his last thoughts before a cocoon of golden light enveloped him and transported him away.
 
And I can't breathe without you, but I have to
Breathe without you, but I have to
Breathe without you, but I have to
 
 
Yugi was about to fall asleep at long last, when a sudden flash of light seared his retinas. Wondering what on earth happened, he opened his eyes.
There, sitting on Yugi's desk chair, looking slightly bewildered, was none other than…Atem.
Yugi rubbed his eyes, thinking that he was dreaming. When he finished, his former yami was still there, although in his pharaoh outfit, wearing the lost Millennium Puzzle, and looking around at the room. When his eyes rested on Yugi, his mouth split into a wide grin.
“No,” Yugi whispered, “It can't be. Why am I doing this to myself?! Atem is gone, and he won't come back. Wake up, self!” he pinched himself to try and wake up, but Atem was still there.
“Stop hurting yourself, Yugi,” Atem said kindly, “it's really me. I've come back.”
The pharaoh's voice froze Yugi for one second, and then the former Hikari fell out of his bed. When he got up, he was beaming. “Atem!” he cried, and attempted to embrace Atem. Unfortunately, he went right through his friend, and crashed on the chair. “It really is you…I think.”
“It is, but I cannot stay forever, only a few hours, thanks to the Millennium Items. I just couldn't stand being without you forever and ever.” Hearing Atem's voice…it was as if he had never left.
“But…how often can you come back?” Yugi wanted to know. The more often the better.
“Only about once a year,” Atem said sadly, “But I can stay for about twelve hours. Now go to sleep, Yugi. I'll still be here when you wake up.” The young boy nodded, closed his eyes, and actually fell asleep.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~**~*~ *~*~
Atem was there when Yugi woke up again, meaning that it was no dream. He accompanied Yugi down to breakfast, and, when his former Hikari was dressed, outside to the mall where Yugi and his friends were going to hang out. They rarely spoke, just enjoyed being with each other again.
 
Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry
(Oooohhhhh, yeeaah)
 
“Hey Yugi!” Joey greeted when the boy arrived, “How's our friend doing, huh?”
“Great, actually,” Yugi answered, “And there's someone who'd like to see all of you.” And Atem stepped out from behind his Hikari.
Te'a gasped and collapsed, and Joey had to grab her to keep her from falling. Tristan and Ryo just stood there, struck dumb.
“Yes, I'm really here, but I will have to go home in the afternoon,” the pharaoh explained. “But I wanted to spend time with you once more. I also have something to confess.” Atem's cheeks flushed pink. “Te'a, I…I love you.”
For a moment, Te'a stared at Atem. Then, she broke into a dazzling smile. “Oh Atem, I love you too.” She tried to kiss him, but…she fell right through him, while everyone laughed. She laughed too.
 
Sorry, sorry, sorry
(Mmmmmmmmm)
 
And so, Yugi and Co. had a wonderful day with Atem, but when the time came, there were tears on everyone's faces. However, Atem promised them that he would return within a year, and then they could all be together again, before the golden light spirited him away. His parting words were, “Just remember, I am still with you, even if you do not see me. I will be watching you.”
This time, everyone was able to dry their tears, for now there was a positive future, one that still had Atem involved. Deep down in their hearts, they knew that they would always be together, physically or not.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
SFH: didn't that ending surprise ya?! I'm just glad I gave it a happy ending, cuz I absolutely HATE fics with nothing but doom, darkness, and despair! Well, I guess that's all! Read and Review, PLEASE! Just tell me how horrible this was, and let the pots and pans FLY!!!!
Oh and one last thing, for all u poke-Yu-Gi-Oh! Fans: I DO have chapter 3 written, but for some reason, MM isn't letting me, and I don't have a ff.net account (seeing as ff.net is BLOCKED, thanks to Dad ):<), so if anyone can help me, that would be GREAT!! Meanwhile, I'll thank my lone reviewer, DarkAnubisPuppy. You are so awesome! Poke Yu-Gi-Oh is dedicated to u!!!