Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Can I Sleep With You? ❯ I Pray the Lord My Soul to Keep ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Thoughts and emphasis are in italics.

-------------------------------------------------------- -----------------

Can I Sleep With You?

Chapter Two- I Pray the Lord My Soul to Keep

by ChibiBoko

Seto Kaiba sighed as he looked blearily at the short, slender boy on his moniter trudging apparantly aimlessly down the rain-filled street. And almost into the street at times. God, he was unbalanced. Luckily the whole area was deserted.

Is he drunk? Seto frowned. He wouldn't have thought Yugi to be the type. Everyone knew him to work through his sorrows, not drown them.

But, he hasn't been depressed lately... He rubbed his temples irritably. Or at least, it seems that way.

"Where are you going, Motou?" He murmured as he turned his focus back to the camera shot before him. "Where could you possibly go at this time of night?"

He watched silently as the tri-coloured mop of hair -albeit a drenched mop of hair- paused before a store window, then moved on. Kaiba saw the boys eyes cloud for a moment. Rather abruptly they cleared, and Yugi hurried on.

Kaiba shifted in his leather chair. Having to resort to electronic surveillance like this didn't sit well with him. He much preferred direct confrontation. If Yami hadn't advised against it when they had last talked, he'd have had answers to all of this weeks ago...

He shook his head ruefully. Past is past Kaiba. You should know all about hindsight by now. He watched as Yugi crossed the street, trying to hold onto his armful of flowers in a sudden breeze.

Kaiba couldn't help but note the awkwardness of the other boys limbs. Almost like a newborn who has no idea how those funny stick things attached to its body are supposed to work. His eyes narrowed. What possessed you to put yourself through this, Motou? Why are you alone? Kaiba propped his head up in his hands, resting his elbows on the keyboard as the screen displayed short teenager passing through a pair of desolate-looking iron gates, leaking flowers petals that trailed behind him almost in a procession.

The city cemetery? He jerked upright in his seat. What's he...He swivelled his chair around to the calendar on the wall. Of course, understanding lit Seto's eyes. "The anniversary..." ...Yugi told me about his parents. How they...left..on their wedding anniversary.

Well, that certainly explained a lot, to Kaiba's mind. Especially the flowers. No wonder the boy seemed incapacitated.

He stood sentinel as the trailing camera showed Yugi stumbling along a less-used path, well out of the way of the more commonly travelled ones.

Does he do this...every year? Kaiba wondered as Yugi knelt by the familiar tombstones, spreading the bouquet like a warm quilt over the three graves. No, he decided after some thought. I'd've noticed.

Kaiba wished he had thought to install a sound system on that camera. He'd've given good money to hear what Yugi was saying right now.

He saw the boy lay down across the graves, closing his eyes. Good, he's falling asleep. He kneaded a neck he hadn't realized had been tense. Better for him to pass out there than in the middle of a street where a car could get him.

Kaiba started reaching for the phone to call the Game Shop, but paused. Should he interfere? The rain was abating a little, and it was warm out. And he could imagine the embarassment Yugi would go through if Yami, Ryou, and Joey caught him passed out like a drunk in the cemetery. There wouldn't be too much harm in the Motou boy spending the night like that. Except for maybe a sore back in the morning..

He shook his head as he withdrew his hand. I owe him too much to not want to spare him the embarassment. I'll just call the cemetery caretakers later so they'll wake him up before any of the others notice he's gone. No harm done for him to get a bit of restful sleep.

Taking one last glance at the moniter, he shut the computer off and stretched tiredly, yawning as he got reluctantly out of the sinfully comfortable chair.

I'll talk to him tomorrow about all this, advice or no advice. He turned off the office lights, and went upstairs to check on his brother before heading to bed. "Sweet dreams Yugi." He murmured into the dark.

------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------