Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Carpe Diem ❯ Carpe Diem ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Yugi sat in english watching Mrs. Fader pull out a book. He glanced over a Joey, who wasn't paying attention at all. Really, he wasn't paying attention at all either. His mind was more focussed on the tall brunette sitting close to him. Kaiba was looking at the teacher but wasn't really paying attention either. Yugi's mind jumped to Tea and how she was actually paying attention, and for some reason, which Yugi didn't quite understand, it didn't jump for joy like it usually would. Yugi's mind was like the millennium puzzle; complecated and complex. Through every door and on every level was a new and strange possibility just waiting to be explored. He had been alive for 16 years and still he had barely crossed the threshold of every door and walked the pace of every step.
 
In reality, he had a long way to go but everyday was proving to be a new adventure. Things just seemed to be spiraling out of control in his world but there was always the little bit of saftey. He always played it safe and never let his guard down. When he did, he paid for it. Yugi was barely paying attention to the english teacher. Yugi looked down at his note book and saw a blank sheet. That's all there was. To him, this meant nothing more then nothing. He didn't see how school was as important as saving the world or being with his friends. Sure, a part of him knew that with knowledge came power but who wanted power without friends. His mind drifted to other events. At Kaiba's Grand Championship battle. The only reason people dueled him was to become king of games.
 
Being king of games gave him power and fame but he wasn't intrested in that. He only dueled out of neccessity anymore. He still loved the game but at times, it felt like a chore and that it was many of the opened doors that he really didn't want to open. Knowing the unknown wasn't so great. He didn't want to be king of games for the power or the fame. He didn't even ask for the title, he had won it to save his grandfather. Life seemed to be travling in an endless loop. Save the day get more famous. Don't save the day and the world will cease to exsist. His mind was so lost in the world he created for himself that he didn't hear the teacher. He felt someone poke him in the back which brought him back to reality.
 
"Carpe Diem..." the teacher quoted and looked around the room, "Can anyone tell me what thast means?" No one raised their hand and Yugi really didn't feel like raising his hand. "Okay, a perfect example of the word. Now, Mr. Motou, please...raise your hand." Yugi put his hand in the air. "There you go, he raised his hand. Can you please tell me what it means?" Yugi sighed and put his hand down.
 
"Seize the day."
 
"Louder Mr. Motou. I'm afraid that I didn't quite hear you."
 
"Seize the day," Yugi said raising his voice. Mrs. Fader smiled and walked over to Kaiba.
 
"Yes, SIEZE THE DAY!" Kaiba didn't jump but you could see him wince as her voice yelled in his ear. "Carpe diem...seize the day...what does it mean to you?" She walked toward the back of the class and used her hand to raise Ryou Bakura's face up, "Does it mean that we do what we do everyday in an endless cycle or..." she walked over to Joey, "Does it mean that we take each adventure we have in our lives and work hard to make if fun and exciting?" She sat down on top Tristans desk with her legs crossed, "I would like some volunteers to tell me what it means to them." No one raised their hand. "See, you people aren't seizing the day. I would like to hear what you think, even if it's funny or if you think it's stupid. I assure you, we won't be laughing at you, we'll be laughing with you." With this said, the students hands went up one by one. "Mr. Kaiba, we havent heard from you all class and since your hand wasn't raised I'm going to assume that you're just too shy to say it." Kaiba reacted to this.
 
"It means to take the day and make something better of it. Make an effort to do something other then playing video games all day." The teacher smiled and Joey sneered at Kaiba. "Or...just taking the time to point out some obvious flaws about people."
 
"That's an intresting perception of it. Mr. Wheeler, you seem happy to make a rubuttle to that."
 
"I think it means that you should make each day worth enjoying. If that means doing something you enjoy doing without regret, then do it." The teacher brightened at this.
 
"Yes!" She jumped off the desk, "Yes! Finally!" She kissed Joey on the forehead in enjoyment. Joey blushed lightly and put his head down but he had a wacky grin plastered on his face. "See! This is what you call carpe diem!"
 
Yugi stood up, "You mean like doing something you don't normally do. Carpe diem means, at least to me, is doing something completely out of the normal and something just for you. Something to make you happy. Something exciting and new, something different and complex."
 
"Yes! Yet another one who understands. You may sit down Mr. Motou." Yugi kept standing, "Or you can stay standing. I want you all to do something for me. Stand up...all of you." Everyone else stood up, "Stand on your desks! Who cares about the rules!" The students seemed a little put off at first. Their teacher must be crazy! One student dared to stand on their desk though. Yugi watched as Joey stood on his desk. When no other student would he dared to disobey the rules. Mrs. Fader clapped and motioned for him to sit down. "I'm dissappointed that no one else would but I can't force you to." Kaiba smirked openly. "However..." the students all groaned audably. "Lets hear none of that. Since it is the beginging of christmas holidays, I want you to spend that time doing things you wouldn't normally do. That means Mr. Kaiba," She smiled and bent down so she was facing him, "Giving your computers up during this time and find something else to do. And those of you who duel most of the time," she spared a glance at Joey, Yugi and Kaiba, "Play a different game. Dare to be different." The bell rang signalling the end of the day, "And write up a report about a plan on what you will do and how it worked out. You don't have to go into personal detail. I'm not asking that much."
 
The students gathered their books and left but Yugi stayed. He had spaced out again and he wasn't too sure about what had just happened. Normally Yugi was a student who payed attention but once again he had gotten lost within the puzzle of his mind. 'Dare to be different.' That sentence described him completely. He was one of those people who didn't follow trends, but then again, his life was destined to be different. He just wanted normal. His hand fell towards the puzzle and he held it there. He knew his dark was asleep but he felt more safe when he was near Yami. He knew one day that Yami would have to leave him but he wasn't ready to face that yet.
 
"Mr. Motou, your paper should be intresting. I can't wait to read it." She smiled at him but Yugi frowned. He got up and left the class.
 
This will probably be the first time I fail an assignment. Yugi frowned and made his way home through the snow. It shimmered and shone brightly as if trying to cheer him up. Sadly, it wasn't working. He had too much on his mind right now. There were just too many doors to open; too many steps to climb. He didn't know where to start and yet knew exactly where to start. His mind wasn't in panic mode but, by the end of the holiday's it probably would be. He could probably just fake things he'd done but really, what was the point when he would be lying to himself. It felt so much easier to lie to yourself and build up that wall then to let yourself see the truth. He would rather keep the doors locked forever, but eventually, all doors had to be opened and all possibilities had to be faced.
 
The cold bit against his skin and his feelings left a bitter pressence in his mind. He wanted to forget that feeling but deep down he knew, he couldn't forget that unknown feeling. He knew it had to do a lot with Yami and his leaving. He knew, more then anything that it was that but facing it over and over again was like a snake bitting you over and over again. It was like the poison that kept you going only to make you angrier and sadder. It was a bitter truth and he still couldn't admit that the feelings he had were there to make him happy. Carpe diem. Seize the day. What use are they when you don't even want to face the truth. Since when had 'carpe diem' changed into the truth. Since when had something so simple become so difficult and bitter.
 
Gazing into cool shimmering water of the river; Yugi wished he could was his emotions away, or at least have them melt like the snow that fell onto his hand. He didn't want to face carpe diem. He didn't want to face a world without Yami. Yugi climbed onto the bridge and, with a strong will, jumped into the icy river. Luckily, Joey was there to see Yugi jumped and pulled him out.
 
"What were you thinking?!"
 
Yugi smiled a stupid grin, "Seize the day." Joey shook his head and laughed.
 
"Yug...I don't think she meant jumping into a river in the winter off the bridge." Yugi laughed and started to shiver.
 
"Maybe it wasn't such a good idea."
 
"No."
 
"I feel better though," Yugi smiled and allowed Joey to help him up. Joey stripped his second coat off and put it around Yugi.
 
"You wont be later if we don't get you back home now. I got your bag." Joey walked Yugi home. Yami stared at Yugi for a moment before-
 
"OH MY RA!!! WHAT HAPPENED?! WHO DID THIS TO YOU!! I BET IT WAS THAT STUPID TOMB ROBBING THEIF!!!"
 
"Yami I-"
 
"NO! I WILL PERSONALLY KILL HIM!" Yami's voice grew to a small mumble, "Thinks he can push my light into the water does...oh I'll show him." Yami got a crazy look on his face, "Oh yes...I'll just push him into the water..."
 
"Yami wait!"
 
"I'll be right back Yugi!" Yugi sighed as Yami ran out the door with his coat on. Joey looked at Yugi for a moment before both of them laughed.
 
"I guess carpe diem works both ways. He's been wanting to do that to Bakura for the longest time, well ever since Bakura said that Yami looked butt ugly in leather." Joey burst out laughing and Yugi joined him. Once the laughter ceased Yugi changed into dry clothes. His throat felt dry and sore and a cough escaped his lips.
 
"Look at you Yugi....you've just gone and made yourself sick. I'll take it as my appointed duty to take care of you till your better."
 
"You'll have to take care of two then, maybe three. If Bakura gets sick Ryou will have him stay here and knowing Bakura he'll drag Yami in with him." Joey sighed and laughed.
 
"Sure, why not." Moments later the door opened and two very angry darks and one slightly gigling light walked in. Bakura and Yami were soaked to the bone and Ryou, who was also soaking wet, was laughing so hard that Joey and Yugi thought he might wet his pants again. Yugi looked somewhat pleased somewhat dissappointed.
 
"Stupid baka pharoah! Just comes right up to me and pushes me into the water. But I got him back! Yes..." Bakura put his fingers together like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons, "Yes...I pulled him in with me."
 
"You shouldn't have pushed Yugi into the water." Yami replied smirking, "You got what came to you."
 
"I'm telling you for the last time, I DIDN'T PUSH THE MIDGET INTO THE WATER!"
 
"HEY! I'm not a midget! I'm vertically challenged!" Bakura scoffed and Yugi dumped snow on him.
 
"That's cold!"
 
"I know..." Yami walked up stairs and came back down with a change of clothes for Ryou and Bakura. Yami was dressed in a pair of black pajamas and had a blanket around him. Yugi started to shiver so Yami wrapped the blanket around the both of them. "I'll warm you up."
"Man...if I knew we were going to have a make out party I would have asked Kaiba to come with him." Joey smirked, "He owes me for that comment in class."
 
"Same old Joey and Kaiba..."
 
"Same old Yugi and Yami." Joey smirked and sat down, "Who wants to watch Kaiba bloopers!"
 
"YOU KNOW IT!"