Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Check Yes or No ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Check Yes or No: Chapter One

Kaiba Seto had a problem. Indeed, between his company, his brother, and his school work, he had many problems, however, he found that another problem had settled itself down in his life. It had been another long, dreary, draw-out day at school when he was sitting at his desk, his chin in hand as he scribbled down some notes on what the teacher was rambling about. His consciousness somewhere else entirely, he had occupied himself with doodling on the side margins of the paper between realizations of his zoning out. It was only when had gotten back to his elegant mansion, sitting down in front of his laptop yet again to type up a paper that he went back to those notes. What he saw there was both surprising and unexpected. During one of his unconscious doodling sessions, he had graced the margin of the page with a lovingly-sketched drawing of none other than Katsuya Jounouchi. Seto's eyes went wide with shock as he stared at the fine lines, so gracefully made by his sub consciousness, every detail amazingly real. Katsuya's sharply-tipped nose and his wide, innocent, boyish eyes, the locks of golden hair hanging down in front of his face… All of it was so artistically captured in a beautiful drawing of Kaiba Seto's most annoying rival. Seto stared, dumbfounded, at the picture, wondering why the hell his brain had thought up to draw such a thing, especially with the amount of detail he had put into it.

Studying the picture for several more minutes, Seto felt a strange sensation in his chest. His body was tightening up, squeezing his lungs as his stomach turned over. His throat was dry and stung as he forced himself to swallow. His cheeks were warm, and he pulled at the collar of his blue coat, trying to coax some cool air into his clothes. He licked his lips that had become chapped in the time he had spent staring at the life-like sketch of the blonde Freshman he thought he had hated. He did hate him, right?

Seto growled and closed the notebook with a humph. Why was that mongrel always intruding on his thoughts? It was far from fair, he decided. That pup should know better than to interrupt him in his most private moments. He sighed. As if the boy could help it. He just wished that he could, at least. Why was he always thinking about Katsuya? As if he had any feelings for the mutt. As if.

He leaned back in his chair, one slender leg crossed over the other as his thoughts went unwillingly to Katsuya Jounouchi, that blonde mongrel in his life he wished would just leave him alone. Seto relaxed his head on the back of his chair, his chestnut hair clinging to the leather with its life as a force of static claimed it. He could feel the tingling on the back of his head, along with the strange tingling deep down in his chest. He felt uncomfortable, his mind racing, panicking with several thoughts he wished would vanish. He shifted uneasily in his cushioned office chair, wanting nothing more than to finish the damn essay and go to bed. But he could not open the notebook to find that picture again.

He stood, his hair snapping angrily at the loss of contact with the leather. He flattened the protesting strands before walking out his office door, looking for something to take his mind off of the plaguing blonde. He walked down the long, carpeted hall, heading at first to the den then to the kitchen, when he noticed a light coming from under his brother's door. Seto frowned. It was well past midnight. Mokuba should have been in bed long ago. Seto knocked once and entered before waiting for an answer. A scrambling of paper and rustling of blankets greeted him and he came in to find a large lump hidden underneath the warm quilt on his brother's bed. Seto approached and lifted the blanket from the bed.

"Mokuba, what do you think you're doing up this late?" he inquired of the younger boy who was curled up in a small ball on the mattress, a pencil in his hand and a piece of paper hidden not-so-well under his body.

The raven-haired boy blinked open his eyes and looked half-lidded at his brother. "Seto? You woke me up."

Seto frowned. "Hardly," he responded. "I heard you when I came in. And you don't normally sleep with pencils and papers. What're you doing?"

Mokuba sat up, his black hair rustled out of place by the quilt. He sighed, slumped down in bad posture and curled his toes inside the green footed pajamas he wore. "Seto, I have a problem."

Seto immediately went into Big Brother Mode. He sat down on the side of the bed, facing his younger sibling. "Oh? And what is that?"

Another sigh escaped from Mokuba's lips. "I-- There's-- Seto-- I--…" He was grasping for the right words. Seto laid a spindly hand on the boy's back.

"It's all right, Mokuba," he assured him. "You can tell me anything, you know that."

He nodded. "Yeah, I know, Big Brother," he said. "It's just… I dunno." He paused, closed his eyes, and took a deep breath. His eyes remained closed as he said, "I like this girl in my class."

Seto cocked his head, smiling lightly. "Is that so?" he said, his hand moving up to rest on the boy's shoulder.

Mokuba nodded. "Yeah… And well, I've been meaning to tell her. I just… Can't. Y'know?" He looked up at Seto with wide eyes. He frowned at his brother's smile. "It's not funny!"

"I never said it was," Seto replied. He picked up the paper Mokuba had failingly tried to hide and looked at it. "You're writing her a letter?"

Mokuba's cheeks brightened. "Yeah… It's the only thing I could think of."

Seto smiled again, and read over the letter.

Dear Jenna,

I'm writing this letter because there's something important I need to say. I've liked you for a while now, and I was wondering if you liked me back. Check yes or no.

[ ] Yes [ ] No
--Mokuba Kaiba

The words "liked you" were slightly darker than the rest, and Seto wondered how hard Mokuba must have pressed while writing those words.

"So?" Mokuba prompted. "Whaddya think?"

Seto's mind suddenly found itself pondering over not Mokuba and his crush, but on Katsuya once again. Damn it all.

"Seto?" Mokuba's voice sounded curious and anxious. "Are you okay?"

Seto shook himself back into reality. "Yes, I'm fine," he replied. "It's a good letter, Mokuba. She'll have to check yes."

Mokuba beamed. "You really think so, Big Brother?"

Seto's smile returned. "Of course. Now put this up and get to sleep. It's well past your bedtime."

"Okay, Seto," Mokuba nodded, setting the paper and pencil on the table beside him. "Goodnight!"

"Goodnight, Little Brother," Seto responded before turning out the light and walking out into the hall. He quietly closed the door behind him and began making his way back down to his own room. Immediately, he went to his laptop and shut it down. The paper was due the next day, but he was exhausted and wanted nothing more than to slip into bed. He could always skip class, as he had done many times before. The teachers rarely ever questioned his absences. Or he could bribe the teacher into giving him an extra day. They were all simple-minded fools at that school and he had many times won them over with monetary value.

Seto sat on the edge of his comforted bed and kicked his shoes off, letting them tumble over themselves before stopping before the wall. He then slipped in between the satin sheets, too tired to change from his lounging clothes to his pajamas. He sighed before pressing his head into the top pillow and made himself comfortable. He did not, however, close his eyes, as they fell on his discarded shoes on the floor. One had landed right side up, but was diagonal across the floor. The other was laying on its side next to it. Seto growled in frustration and got out of bed to set his shoes neatly side by side under the mattress. Then he climbed back into bed and made himself comfortable once again.

However, he still did not close his eyes. Instead, his mind went back to Katsuya, that blonde mutt who never seemed to leave him alone, no matter what he did. Even when Katsuya was not there with Seto, he bothered him to no end. Why won't he just let me rest?

Another sigh and Seto turned over, holding a nearby pillow with one hand as his other slid underneath his cheek. His hand was cold against his face and he shivered somewhat before pressing his face into the pillow and demanding that sleep take him. It was probably a couple more hours before it did so.