Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Children of Shadow ❯ Remembrance ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Me: Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh…. its here…..

Marik: wtf?

Isis: Ditto.

Me: You'll see… ok, first off BIG thank you to samantha j.c. and TAB for reviewing! And thanx to tab for something else… heh.

Isis: WHAT is so freakin funny?

Me: Told you, you'll see!

Kaiba: *is sitting very, very still with his hands folded*

Marik: ?

Isis: Why is everyone acting weird! What gives!?

Me: *grins evilly* Kaiba?

Kaiba: *very quietly and politely* AMK does not own Yugioh or any other things mentioned in this chapter except Cassie, who is her own original creation. If you would like to use this character, contact AMK for permission. Please enjoy the chapter.

Marik: All right! I don't know who the hell you are, but I suggest you get in your ship, beam down kaiba, and go back to whatever planet you came from!

Isis: AMK?

Me: *sweetly* Yes?

Isis: Will you PLEASE tell me what is going on!!

Me: Wait for it-

Isis: For what?!

Me: It…

Marik: WHAT!!

Me: You'll see. Just wait.

******************************************

In her first few days, Cassie discovered she fit in surprisingly well with 'the gang' as everyone referred to it. She found it easy to remember a few key facts about everyone- for example, Anzu was very big on friendship. It did get annoying sometimes, but at least you knew she was always going to be there for you. And she quickly learned not to butt in on Jou and Kaiba's one-on-one arguments. The first and only time she tried that, Kaiba gave her the absolute most intimidating look she had ever seen, including her own. Add that to the fact he was at least half a foot taller than her- she had tried her best to return the look, but she didn't think it had worked very well. Not that she cared what some computer-obsessed asshole thought, but she did not like being upped. Not at all, and it had happened twice in her first week here.

Also, when Anzu had stayed behind when the gang went to Yugi's house for a study group, Cassie asked Mai the reason why.

"She's got way more work than the rest of us," Mai answered. "Besides regular homework, she has the papers to look over, and has to brush up on her English-"

"Papers? English?" Cassie asked, confused.

Mai gave a little laugh. "Oh right, you don't know- Anzu applied to an exchange program, and she's trading places with some American kid. The switch should be pretty soon- near the twenty eighth, I think."

April twenty eighth was just ten days away. Cassie was a little miffed that Anzu was leaving just as soon as they had met, but she was also curious about a new girl coming.

Coming.

Cassie felt a sudden, involuntary chill run up her spine. Coming- that was what the voice in the necklace had said! 'She is coming'. Those were the exact words. Could the necklace have known? Could it tell the future?

Stop that! Cassie told herself. She had resolved to keep her mind off the necklace, but it was such a strange coincidence-

And that's all it is, she thought firmly, a coincidence. My gods Cassie, you have enough problems as it is without worrying about some stupid necklace that was probably from a random pawn shop.

Cassie did have something to think about, in fact- she had been thinking about it. It was another necklace- two, actually. One was Ryou's. Cassie had noticed he wore it wherever he went. Yet for something obviously so important to him, he didn't seem to want to talk about it. Of course it was important- why else would a boy wear a necklace? Not only that, it was very unique and detailed. But even though he never seemed to take it off- Cassie wasn't even sure if he took it off when he slept- he always changed the subject whenever it came up.

The other necklace was not hers or Ryou's, but Yugi's. Cassie wasn't sure if it could be called a necklace- it was more like a pendant. She also noticed it seemed to be a 3-D puzzle, she could see the lines where the pieces fit together. She asked Yugi about it when she went into the kitchen for a drink. He was in there ordering about the fourth pizza for Jou and Honda.

"It's called the Millennium Puzzle," he said after he had hung up. "I got it from my grandfather, he brought it back from Egypt on an archeological dig."

"Egypt?"

"Yeah, have you been there?"

Cassie couldn't help snorting. "You kidding? I lived in Cairo."

"Oh." Yugi looked a little taken back. Cassie mentally kicked herself. Me and my big mouth.

However, Yugi was one of those people who bounced back. "I've never been to Egypt. Is it nice?"

"It's okay- a lot hotter than here." Cassie had taken to wearing her jacket all the time- besides being cold a lot it helped hide that damn school uniform. "And sometimes it gets a little too sandy- but on really nice days there's a wind and you can just sort of hang around wherever. The cities aren't as big either, and there's nowhere near as many people, but other than that it's a lot like here." Why was she telling Yugi all this? She had opened up too much after getting in Domino.

"Hey Yug?" Cassie had taken to calling him that. After all, Jou said it so much it was permanently fixed in her brain. She couldn't get it out if she tried. Yugi didn't seem to mind the nickname, though. "Can I ask you something?"

Yugi gave a little shrug. "Sure."

"Your puzzle? Is it anything like that necklace Ryou has?" Both items had the Eye of Horus in their centers- an emblem familiar to Cassie. "He never wants to talk about his."

Yugi looked as though he was choosing his words carefully. "Well- yes, in a way. His 'necklace' is actually called the Millennium Ring, and it's from Egypt too. I really don't know that much about it."

Every instinct in Cassie's body knew Yugi was telling an outright lie. She didn't press matters though. Probably Yugi thought he shouldn't tell Cassie too much if Ryou wasn't going to. Besides, she didn't want Yugi to get suspicious. It would lead to him asking her why all the questions, and then he would suspect her of something, and if he or anyone else came snooping around they could find out some very private information.

No matter how much Cassie didn't want to think about her own necklace, she kept on doing it. Now a whole new set of questions were crowding her mind. Questions such as, how could the necklace tell her the future? If she put it on again, would the same sort of thing happen?

Cassie's brain was too overrun. She needed a way to let off some steam. She waited until Yugi left the room, then stared hard at the can of orange soda she had just taken out of the fridge. As she did, her mind wandered past Millennium Items, past necklaces that told the future, past Domino- way back to when she was still living in Cairo.

<Flashback>

The Egypt sun beat down overhead. It's noonday rays were nothing, though, to the groups of children scattered across the elementary school blacktop who felt it every day.

"Hey!"

"Kevin, pass!"

There was a group of boys playing soccer on the left side of the playground. A girl about ten years old stood watching them, pressed up against the brick wall behind her. She had silky black hair and very deep, solemn blue eyes.

One of the boys kicked the ball. It soared through the air in a wild arch and headed right for the girl. She reached out and caught it. Not even blinking, she tossed it back to the boy without a word.

"Man, Cassie is one weird kid," the boy whispered.

"You're telling me. Come on, forget her. Let's play."

<End Flashback>

She had always been 'the quiet girl' in her first school. Then, in fifth grade, she discovered her hidden power. It had scared her at first- she became even more shy and was afraid to come in contact with anyone. That was when she had started seeing counselors. Cassie discovered that bottling up all her emotion wasn't safe- it caused too much pressure. She needed an outlet. So, over the summer between elementary and middle school, Cassie turned from shy and secretive to bad-mouthed and tomboyish. By the time she got to middle school, she was a completely new person.

Then she realized too much anger was dangerous too- sometimes she got carried away and crossed the line. This led to fear, which led to hostility and unacceptance. Cassie couldn't fit in, and she didn't care. All she cared was about not hurting anyone. Ironically, this led to beating them up. Twisted world, isn't it?

As Cassie relaxed and let her mind drift back to the present time, she felt a thought slip through her brain that was more terrifying than any of the others. Maybe it wasn't the necklace. Maybe it was her.

******************************************

Isis: I do not understand you. First you keep saying "it's here" then you go on about this 'big secret' thing. What is with all the secrets?!?

Me: I told you you'll find out!

Isis: 'Find out' nothing! I want answers! And why isn't Kaiba doing anything?

Kaiba: *still sitting perfectly still with his hands crossed*

Marik: *is reading the reviews for the first time* Hang on! What the- get a grip? Oh yeah samantha, I'll get a grip. A good one, right around your throat.

Me: What did I say about insulting the reviewers? *sticks gum in mariks hair*

Marik: O_O Nooo! My hair!

Isis: (o_o)

Me: Hah! I told you you'd find out!

Kaiba: See why I kept my mouth shut? I saw the review too! However, if you two idiots payed attention to what AMK asked for in her email-

Me: YOU READ MY EMAIL!

Kaiba: Oh shit-

Me: DIE! *whacks Kaiba repeatedly with heavy metal frying pan of ultimate doom* Baka- *sticks gum in his hair*

Kaiba: @_@

Isis: Uh- how much gum did you get?

Me: Lifetime supply- mwa ha ha ha ha!

Isis: Crap-

Me: Don't think I'm done with you yet Kaiba! *handcuffs him to the doorknob*

Kaiba: Wha-

Me: C'mere Joey!

Marik: RUN! *runs away*

Isis: Right behind you! *runs away*

Kaiba: NO! PLEASE! HAVE MERCY!

Me: Mercy is for the weak!

Joey: *comes in* Arf! *jumps on Kaiba*

Kaiba: AHHH!

Me: Well, TAB, you wanted to know what I needed gum and handcuffs for! ^^ And btw joey is my spastic miniature poodle who loves to pounce on people and coat their faces with an alarming amount of saliva. BUT he looks adorable while he's doing it! He is SO cute…. well ne way, see you all next chapter! Don't 4get to review! Bye now!