Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Children of Shadow ❯ Battle ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Me: I'M FINALLY BACK!!!!

Marik: There go my hopes of quiet retirement…..

Me: *ignoring him* I am soooo sorry for not updating! Especially since I left you hanging last chapter…. but I am BACK and I am WRITING and all you are going to FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT! ^^

Isis: Ooooo-kay.

Kaiba: Yep, she's flipped.

Me: Temporary ecstacy! *sigh* The joys of writing….

Kaiba: Say what?

Isis: Ok, now I'm really scared…

Me: Oh shut up!

Isis: Oh. False alarm.

Marik: She's back.

Kaiba: Aw, damn.

Me: KAIBA! DISCLAIMER!!

Kaiba: I was hoping you'd forgotten that…. *clears throat* In honor of Independence Day, I wrote a semi-patriotic poem disclaimer thingy. 'The colors of the day are red, white, and blue. The phrase of the day is, 'AMK doesn't own ygo, so don't sue!'

Me: *blink* Wow… that was almost…. sweet…

Isis: The Second line had more syllables than the first one…

Kaiba: Well what do you expect? I ain't a literary genius!

Me: No- that's my job! So now it's time to do what I do best: write! On with the fic!

Kaiba: You ain't a literary genius either….

Me: *whacks him with heavy metal frying pan of ultimate doom tm* Ahem- on with the-

Marik: Are you sure that writing is what you do best?

Me: ARGH! *whacks him repeatedly with a large coffee mug* READ THE FIC ALREADY!

*****************************************

Cassie shuffled her deck, sitting across the table from Chrissy and barely surpressing a grin. This was too perfect. This girl was a beginner. A bubbleheaded amateur. Whereas she, Cassie, had been dueling since she was nine. This airhead was going to crash hard and burn slowly.

Cassie set her deck down. "Ready?"

Chrissy nodded. "Yup."

"I'll keep score," Otogi volunteered. "Duel start!"

Cassie drew her hand. "I'll go first." Let's see- Hane-Hane, Battle Ox, Penguin Soldier, Trap Hole, Waboku, and Man-Eater Bug. How to annihilate her? "I'll play one monster face down-" Man-Eater Bug- "and two more face-down cards." Trap Hole and Waboku. "Go ahead."

Chrissy drew. Cassie shifted in anticipation. Time to see what this popcorn girl was made of. "I'll summon- this! Soul of Purity and Light!"

Cassie leaned over to see. Stats= 2000/1700. Not bad for a 4-star. Suddenly she heard footsteps. She glanced over her shoulder and saw Ryou standing in the doorway, watching. Ah well- she'd talk to him later.

"Now I'll attack your face-down card!"

"Sorry." Cassie flipped Man-Eater Bug over. "They're both destroyed." Chrissy shrugged and placed her monster in the graveyard. Cassie felt a twinge of unsettlement. Chrissy didn't seem to care that her monster had been destroyed- and it was a good monster, too. Better than Cassie had expected. Maybe Chrissy wasn't an amateur…

Cassie kicked herself mentally. What was she thinking? Chrissy was probably so stupid that she didn't even care if her good cards were destroyed. That was it. She drew. Okay, Big Eye. I'll use that one later, she thought. Right now, though-

"I summon Battle Ox and attack your Life Points directly!"

Chrissy was down to 2300 LP already. Cassie smirked. What had she been worried about?

Chrissy drew, biting her lip in concentration. Cassie almost laughed out loud at the gesture. What a loser. "I'll summon- Hysteric Fairy!"

Figures that such a priss would have a deck full of Light-type monsters. Cassie thought. Hysteric Fairy was stronger than her Battle Ox. Should she destroy it with Trap Hole?

No, Cassie decided, better to get her hopes up. After all, it's only a hundred points difference. And this way she'll be even more upset when I stomp her. Cassie snickered silently. Oh yes, just you wait. No one could get away acting like that in front of her.

"And then I'll play Luminous Spark!"

"Huh!" Cassie jerked to her senses. Luminous Spark was a Field Magic card that raised the attack of every Light monster by 500 points. Wait- if Hysteric Fairy was a Light-type, then that meant-

"-so you lose 600 Life Points!"

Cassie ground her teeth. Damn! How could she have let that bimbo get the advantage like that? How?!

She had let her guard down. That was the only reason. It couldn't possibly be a matter of skill- Chrissy herself had said that this was her first deck. Cassie stiffened. Well, it wasn't happening again. No way was she losing to this egotistical duelist wannabe. She drew.

Black Pendant- good, but nothing to use it on. She placed Big Eye face down. "Your turn."

Chrissy frowned. "Are you okay? You sound kind of tense."

Cassie's mouth twitched as she forced a smile- a regular habit now. "I'm fine," she said between clenched teeth. To herself, she thought, the minute this duel is over, I'm getting as far away from this twit as possible.

Chrissy shrugged. "Okay…" She drew. "I play a card face down and summon Neo, the Magic Swordsman!"

Cassie was ready this time. "Activate Trap Hole!"

"Oh, well.." Chrissy placed the card in her graveyard. "Hysteric Fairy, attack her face down card!"

Cassie flipped it over. "You attacked Big Eye- and its effect is activated! I get to arrange the top five cards of my deck any way I want."

Chrissy shrugged again. "Go ahead, then."

As she reached for her deck, Cassie rolled her eyes. She was getting really irritated with Chrissy's 'couldn't care less' attitude. Top five cards: Summoned Skull, Shield and Sword, Eternal Rest, Darkfire Soldier #1, and- De-Spell!

Cassie cheered silently. With De-Spell, she could destroy that blasted Luminous Spark card! Things could only get better from there…

Quickly Cassie rearranged her cards and put them back on her deck. "Anything else?" She fought to keep the satisfaction out of her voice.

Chrissy shook her head. "Nope. You go."

"Okay, then…" Cassie drew. "I play De-Spell to destroy Luminous Spark!"

As expected, Chrissy hardly batted one of those unnaturally long eyelashes. Cassie was really getting annoyed now. "Then I'll play this card face down."

It was Penguin Soldier. As soon as Chrissy attacked, her monster would be sent back to her hand, leaving the field clear for a direct attack from Cassie's Darkfire Soldier. Then it was only a matter of time before she wore Chrissy's Life Points down for good. This duel was in the bag.

Cassie smirked to herself. How could she ever have thought that she might actually lose?

Chrissy drew. "I summon Guardian of the Throne Room." Cassie raised an eyebrow. It didn't matter. Penguin Soldier would send them both back to her hand.

"Now it'll attack your face down card!"

Cassie gave the tiniest grin as she revealed her monster. "Penguin Soldier sends both your monsters back to your hand, leaving your field wide open!"

"For what?" Chrissy asked, picking up her monsters.

"For this!" Cassie drew, feeling triumph surge through her body. "My Darkfire Soldier!" Cassie paused, taking in the thrill of victory. "And now-"

"Trap Hole!"

Cassie stopped dead. "Wha-?" she said numbly.

Chrissy had flipped up her face down card. "Trap Hole destroys your Darkfire Soldier."

"I know!" Cassie snapped. She picked up her Darkfire Soldier and dropped it into her graveyard, her hand shaking. It didn't matter- she could still win-

"My turn, right?" Chrissy drew. I summon back my Hysteric Fairy, who'll attack your Life Points."

"Waboku," Cassie mumbled, flipping it up. She drew, knowing already what her card would be. Summoned Skull- but it wouldn't do any good with no monsters for her to sacrifice.

Cassie's heart sank. She knew what was coming next.

"Now I'll summon Guardian of the Throne Room-"

How could she have-

"-and they'll both attack your Life Points."

Cassie sat, dimly aware of everyone's eyes boring into her. A solitary, impossible, unacceptable thought was swirling in her brain.

I…. lost?

******************************************

Me: I predict that the readers will hate me….

Marik: What- she lost? Jesus, this story makes no sense.

Me: Have patience, young padawan. All will become clear….

Marik: o_o0

Me: Say it, Kaiba…

Kaiba: Ugh. Just review.

Me: Wha- no poetry? Awww…. *pout* well, review anyways! Pleez? ^^