Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Crystal Waters ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Recap:
BOOoooommmm!…
The thunder split the air particles apart as the sound traveled through the waves and his small body. His mind was a panicking mess as another wave towered above him.
He got one last look at the demolished, burning boat and that look of horror on his parents' faces, before the towering wave crashed down on him, sending him into cold, wet, darkness.
To be continued...

Crystal Waters
Chapter 2
by: geckogrl2

“No!!” Yugi shot up, breathing heavily, fearful eyes wide and full of tears. His hand had a death grip on his blanket as he tried to reign in his terrified and panicking mind. A shaky pale hand lifted up and pressed against his temple.
`Deep breath…it was just a dream…just a dream…' But Yugi knew that this was his memory. `My memory has become a nightmare that I can't escape from; just like my life…what will I do?'
He lay back down on the cushions he used for a bed and closed his eyes. That memory had been plaguing him for about a week now and he was beginning to show the side effect. His breathing slowed as he cleared his mind and his death grip loosened. His hand fell from his forehead back to the ground and he turned to lie on his side.
The sunlight from the only window poured into his exposed face, causing him to squint and pull his blanket over his head. This didn't help any seeing as how the blanket was as thin as a sheet of paper, so Yugi sat up and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes.
Noise slowly filtering in, in the background. An uneasy feeling settled into his stomach, making his nervous and excited at the same time.
There would be something happening today, if the noise was any clue. A few of the janitors were busy cleaning the holding tank. `They must be coming in with some kind of fish; must be one that they don't want anyone else to see either.' This room is in the very back of the research facility and is any kind of authorities personnel didn't come back here. Which is why Yugi was in here, he didn't want to go back to the orphanage, there was no one there for him. He couldn't escape a cage of his own making. Besides, Yugi had nowhere to go; so he's stuck here until they get bored of him and kill him.
Who are they? They are the guards, some of them are gang members hired as guards, for the research facility. They were the first one who found Yugi when he hid in this room, and, upon finding him, took him to the manager. Most of the times they did catch him was when they were drunk, so they forget about him pretty quick.
He was happy that the manager didn't care if he was in that room, just as long as he worked there and didn't cause trouble. The line of work was to keep quiet about what went on in this facility and he had to clean the holding tank room. He wasn't paid anything, but that didn't really matter. If he did get money, then he would have to leave so that he could spend the money, and he could get caught by the police and taken back to the orphanage.
Yugi stood up slowly, so that his head wouldn't spin from lack of food. Only one person was considerate enough to bring him food and that person wasn't allowed to be back here; but thankfully Christine would sneak some whenever she could but most of the time he went hungry.
Christine is one of the secretaries for this place. She, unlike everyone else, was kind and gentle and a lot like Yugi's deceased mother. Currently, she was trying to save up money to move and become an author; and when she switched jobs, she was going to adopt Yugi as long as it was okay with him. But until she saved enough money and found that house, she would have to hope that Yugi would stay alive and that she wouldn't get fired.
Yugi slowly approached the side door, his face brightening considerably when he saw a cloth bag sitting on the floor beside the closed door. `It seems that Christine was able to come today.' Yugi thought as he quickly snatched the bag and made a beeline for his alcove.
He had found this alcove on the first day he was here. It was perfect because it was to small for the guards to get in yet, thanks to his small size, it was just large enough for him to fit into. One part of the alcove was stationed up against the holding tank, which allowed him to see what was inside and another spot allowed him to see the rest of the room without being seen. Aside from the location and the size, there was also a small sink stationed right up against the holding tank, and in the back was a ladder that led up to the catwalk, which hung about two feet from the surface of the water of the holding tank.
He hid the two apples within his blanket and ate the roll and the banana. He took his time eating them, knowing that gorging himself would only make things worse than when he was starving. When he was finished, he threw away the peel and went over to the sink to wash his hands. Careful to not look at the water in the holding tank, he finished in record time and sat back on his `bed', wondering what would happen today.
`I should probably stay here if they're putting something in the tank.' Normally he would be cleaning the room (as payment for his board) and hope that the guards wouldn't get drunk; he always ended up at the receiving end of their drunken rage.
There was a change in the air that day, it didn't seen so stifling and crowded; and Yugi was sensitive enough to now that his life was about to change.
`Something will happen today, I just know it.' He discreetly hid a yawn behind his hand, and crawled back toward his mat.
'And a small nap wouldn't hurt anything either...'

To be continued...