Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Cursed Wish ❯ The Cursed Wish ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Jeni was floating. She was floating above her house. She looked at the sky, and she saw a shooting star shoot across.
 
“Make a wish, dear!” said a voice next to her. It was a dark, smoky cloud in the shape of a woman- a ghost.
 
Jeni looked up at the star. She opened her mouth to make the wish, but just when she did, the bell rang.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------
 
Jeni opened her eyes and looked around. Everything was fuzzy. Her vision slowly cleared. Finally, she was fully awake. And lucky for her, it was the end of the day! But unlucky for her, all she could do was go home to do chores and homework.
 
She slowly got up and stretched. Then she ran outside and scanned the mess of students flooding out of the building for her friends. She spotted Hannah and Ashley attacking each other, and Chaki was standing nearby. Jeni ran over to them.
 
“Hey!” she said, happy to see her friends.
 
<Inserted Note>
Jenny was happy to see her friends because she only got to see them at lunch, and Chaki was in her acting class (they served as the lighting and sound crew for most productions- their high school was pretty poor, so it wasn't that complicated).
</Inserted Note>
 
“So, where're we going today?” Hannah asked.
 
“Oooh! Let's go to GTR!” Ashley said, bouncing up and down. (GTR is the name for the popular roller blading place of their town, with laser tag and an arcade next store.)
 
“Can't. I gotta do homework, then clean the house. My parents are having company tonight.” Jeni said.
 
“And I've got violin lessons.” Chaki said. “But I could go next Friday night!”
 
“I've got an interview with Richieton.” Hannah said, rolling her eyes. (Richieton was another- yes, their current school is a private school- private school, one her mom was forcing her to apply to, since she didn't like Diversity High, where they were going) “Oh, crap! That's right! I have to write the entrance essays for the other 2!” Hannah said, remembering. “I can't go today either, sorry Ash!”
 
“It's ok, I'll just attack Jim and Jon on IM. Ooo! And I have to make Sims of LPR and Carrie! That'll be fun! I'll show you on Monday,” Ashley said, coming up with ideas for her spare time. She was the only one with free time. (Jim was someone from school they loved to annoy, in the grade above them, and Jon used to go to Diversity High, but left the last year. LPR is the most hated teacher, and Carrie is their worst enemy, a total brat-witch who loves to say how much better she is than everyone else.)
 
“Well, we can at least walk home together,” Jeni said sadly. She really wanted to spend more time with her friends, but they were all so busy, besides Ashley.
 
“Ok,” Hannah and Chaki said.
 
The four of them walked home, mostly in silence, brooding over their time-needing friendship, but they made the occasional joke that kept them in high enough spirits to keep going.
 
“You know what?” Jeni said, after a particularly long pause.
 
“What? What is it? Is there anything you haven't been telling me?!?” Ashley said, giving Jeni a `do you have a crush oh I'm going to have so much fun with this' look.
 
Jeni smiled at her friend's energy. “No, it's not that,” she said.
 
Ashley's face fell.
 
“I had a dream.”
 
“Oh, how interesting,” Hannah said sarcastically.
 
“No, in class!” Jeni said. “And I think it has something to do with Monnie.” (Monnie was their nickname for Monica.)
 
“Jeni!” Chaki said, in a scolding tone of voice.
 
Jeni chose to ignore Chaki's scoldings. “It was night in my dream. There was a shooting star, and a ghost told me to make a wish on it.”
 
The other three gave her skeptical looks.
 
“No! Listen! I think that if we make a wish tonight, the ghost might make it come true!” Jeni said, trying to convince her friends.
 
“But how do you know there'll be a shooting star?” Hannah said.
 
“Yea! That rarely happens.” Chaki said kicking in with her smartness.
 
“There'll be one! I know it!” Jeni said. Something told her Monica's powers were kicking in, and that it was true.
 
“Still, this sounds a little sketchy. A ghost will grant our wishes??” Ashley said, still not believing it.
 
“It's true! And even if it's not, it's worth a try, right? The worst that could happen is we come to school tomorrow with no wishes granted. What else could go wrong?” Jeni said.
 
“Well, I suppose you're right…” Ashley said.
 
“So you'll do it?” Jeni asked them all, hoping they would.
 
“Yea, I guess.” They said, simultaneously.
 
They finally made it to Hannah's house.
 
“Well, see you later!” Ashley said, waving goodbye.
 
“Bye!” Jeni and Chaki chorused, waving too.
 
Hannah waved back to them, then headed into the house, for an annoying night of essay writing.
 
Next, they came to Chaki's street. Not house, street. They weren't all going to go all the way to her house. Chaki went into the bushes and pulled her bicycle out of the bushes, then waved goodbye as she started the long ride down her road to the end, where her house was.
 
Jeni and Ashley walked to their houses mostly in silence. They ran past The House (the haunted house on their block), as was a tradition, then finally arrived at their houses.
 
“Well, see you tomorrow,” Jeni said, standing between their two houses (That's right- Ashley and Jeni are next-door neighbors!).
 
“Uh, Jeni? Tomorrow's Saturday.” Ashley said sarcastically.
 
“Well, we could hang out or something,” Jeni said. “But if you don't want to…”
 
“I'll talk to you about it later. Bye!” Ashley said, then went into her house.
 
“Bye!” Jeni called after her, before entering her own house. What a fun night it will be, she thought, as the sound of the vacuum going reached her ears.
 
 
Jeni sat on her bed, continuing her poem/story/junk book called `She'll always be an outcast.'. She continued to write until the moon was shining fully into her window. She looked out her window to look at the moon, when she remembered the shooting star. She quietly opened her window and climbed out onto the garage roof (her garage is connected to her house), then sat there and looked up at the stars, waiting to see the shooting star.
 
Finally, the shooting star streaked past. Jeni watched it, whispering her wish to herself. “I wish I could find the one,” she said. “I wish I could find the person I've always been looking for, the one who truly understands what it's like.”
 
Suddenly, a wind picked up. It whispered an eerie song:
 
Cursèd wish of ancient times
Before the song, before the rhymes
Curse that comes to mess with you,
`til you find what you think true.
And if you're wrong…
 
Then the ghost came. The same ghost Jeni had seen in her dream. “Thank you for trusting me,” she said, in her sweet voice. “Come down to The House, and your wish will come true!” Then, as quickly as the ghost had appeared, she disappeared again.
 
Jeni, still holding her book, climbed back through the window and crept down through the house. She slipped on some shoes at the door and ran out into the night, heading towards The House.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------
 
When Jeni got to the door of The House, she found the other three girls waiting for her. Ashley was still wearing the clothes she had worn to school with fuzzy slippers, rubbing her eyes and not zoned in to the world. Hannah looked like she had just woken up, with panda pajamas, tiger slippers, and an incredibly bad hair-day. Chaki, on the other hand, was clutching her laptop, looking wired like she was ready for a night of becoming digitally-happy.
 
Jeni pulled her sister's coat tighter around her to keep the cold night's air out, then walked up the stairs to the porch.
 
“Well, what're we waiting for? Let's go in!” she said, gesturing the other three up the stairs and into the house.
 
They first entered an enormous front hall, with a huge glass chandelier hanging from the ceiling and a wide set of stairs leading to an upper balcony. The girls climbed the stairs up to the next floor, too tired to be scared (or say anything for that matter). They went along, opening doors to reveal a master bedroom, several smaller bedchambers, two bathrooms (old-fashioned baths included), and a closet full of brooms and other cleaning materials. Finally, they opened the door at one end of the balcony, which revealed a hallway with doors on both sides and one at the end. The three girls silently made their way to the door at the end of the hall, then opened it to reveal a narrow staircase leading to another door.
 
One by one, the girls climbed the staircase, Jeni in the lead. She opened the door at the top and led the way into the dark, dusty attic.
 
The girls saw a light. It wasn't any ordinary type of light. It was a magical light. They made their way around the cobweb-covered boxes and trunks until they reached the light. This light was radiating from a full-length, old-fashioned-style mirror. The light didn't come out of the mirror, but more from the other side of the glass. The four crowded around the mirror and looked in. Their images looked a little off, like it was just a drawing of them.
 
The ghost-lady appeared next to the mirror.
 
“Well, you didn't come this far for nothing, did you?” she asked the girls.
 
“What do you mean?” Chaki said, looking away from the mirror for a second to give the lady a questioning look.
 
“You want your wishes to come true, don't you?” the ghost said.
 
Hannah and Ashley gave her a weak `Duh!' look.
 
“Then, what are you waiting for? Go through!” she said, ushering them through the mirror.
 
Hannah and Ashley nodded and stepped forward, thinking this was only a dream.
 
Chaki, however, was more awake. “What the h*** are you talking about?! How do we go through a mirror?!” she shouted, incredibly confused.
 
“It's easy! Just step through like it's an oddly-shaped doorway. Just watch out for the frame!” the ghost said.
 
“Whatever.” Chaki said, just playing along. She had no idea why she was doing this, but it seemed like she mine as well, seeing as she was in the attic of a haunted house talking to a ghost in the middle of the night.
 
Jeni went first. The glass was cool on her bare feet as she stuck her leg through the mirror. She ducked her head under the top of the frame and through the glass, then pulled her other leg through, until she was completely through. She looked around the dark attic, waiting for the others to follow behind her.
 
“Doesn't look much different,” Chaki said, looking over Jeni's shoulder.
 
“Let's explore!” Ashley said, heading towards the door. Hannah followed her.
 
“Wait! I think we should come back later…you know, so it's light out…” Jeni said, shivering as she looked into the darkness. She turned to the mirror and got ready to go back through, but it shattered, and a sinister, spine tingling cackle split through the silent attic air. The empty frame of the mirror came crashing down on Jeni's head, splitting in half and knocking Jeni out cold.