Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Dark Days of Pain ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sakura: Hi!! Uh, I was bored when I wrote this. It's probably bad. Warning: angst. This eventually gets into a lot of suicide and killing. I refer to Bakura's Yami as just Yami in this because Yugi's Yami actually isn't in this. And, uh…on with th-
Yugi: Aren't you forgetting something?
Sakura: Like…?
Yugi: Like the disclaimer?
Sakura: Oh, yeah. Well, then why didn't you say it?
Yugi: Because I'm a character!!! It wouldn't be right. You have to say it.
Sakura: Alright, I guess. I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh. Happy now?
Yugi: Uh-huh. But you forgot, 'I really wish I did because the characters are so cute and…"
Sakura: One more word outta you and… ::goes to strangle Yugi but stops:: Oh, come on!! They drew you too cute!! I can't hurt you!!
Yugi: See? Being short can mean being cute. Unless you're Weevil, of course.
Sakura: Eh! I hate Weevil…
Yugi: Well, why didn't you say so? ::walks away:: I'll beat him for you.
Sakura: Hey, wait!! I wanna help!!
Yugi: You have to stay here and write the fic!
Sakura: But you're in it!
Yugi: ::from a distance:: Not until the second chapter!
Sakura: Oh, yeah. Okay, so, uh…
Bakura: On with the fic!!!! I am the main character!!
Sakura: Okay, you probably already know this, but for those of you who don't, like me when I was first trying to figure this out…

"Speaking."
'Thoughts.'
/Bakura to Yami/
//Yami to Bakura//

~~Dark Days of Pain~~

~~~Chapter 1

'Oh. Another day of pain and agony. I wonder what torture I will be put to by Yami today? Well, there's no use in just waiting for it to happen. Today is the day when I will fight back. Yes, today, before I lose all my courage. I will not let him hurt me today.'

Bakura was thinking hard as he got up. It was a Saturday so there was no school, but that just left more time for Yami to hurt Bakura. He was still trying to gather all his courage for what he was going to do. He rolled out of bed and blinked a few times. He changed out of his pajamas and into his clothes. Then he started walking to the door to go to the Turtle Game Shop when he heard a voice behind him.

"Where are you going? I have work for you to do," Yami said.

Lately his Yami had gotten enough power for him to have a sort of temporary body of his own when he wanted one. So Bakura turned around and was face to face with himself. A slightly angrier, scarier self, but himself all the same.

"I was going to visit Yugi," Bakura said.

"Perfect. That's just where I want you to be." Yami seemed pleased.

"Why, Yami?" Bakura asked.

"None of your business!!" Yami said.

Bakura stepped back in surprise.

Yami continued. "You must go to Yugi's house. When you get there tell me. I will take over and I will follow through with my plans."

Bakura really had to get up his courage now. He would have to change his plans a little but this might actually work to his advantage. If there was an advantage to what he was going to do. 'The advantage will be getting away from Yami,' Bakura reminded himself. He better hurry; he was losing his nerve fast.

Bakura headed out the door. It was raining out, but he didn't care. He decided to walk through the park to get to Yugi's house. It was a slightly longer route but it all worked to Bakura's advantage. The rain fell less but in bigger drops as Bakura walked under the leafless trees of the park. It was cold, even for winter. Bakura breathed, watching his breath as it made a cloud spiraling up into the gray sky.

Bakura walked out from under the trees toward the path going by the pond. Nobody was around; the path was completely deserted. He walked down the end of the dock. There was a thin sheet of clear ice over the top of the pond as he looked down at his reflection, seeing his sorrowful brown eyes staring back at him. He looked up into the gray sky, the cold rain falling onto his face.

Then he jumped, shooting himself as far from the dock as possible. He felt the ice break beneath him as he fell, plunging into the icy cold water. He dove down as far as his frozen muscles would take him, then he breathed a big lungful of water. He still tried diving down farther. He thought he heard something but he just thought it was the delusions of a drowning boy.

At last Bakura was satisfied with his depth. /Yami?/

//Bakura? Are we at Yugi's?//

/Yup. Come on out/

Yami came out and was disoriented for a second before he realized where he was. He swam for the surface and in his confusion he allowed Bakura to take over. Bakura kept diving down, still not making much progress because he was cold and drowning, but he went down deep enough.

'Goodbye, cruel world,' Bakura thought as the icy-cold black around him overtook him completely.

Téa had been walking to Yugi's too when she saw Bakura jump into the pond.

'What is he doing? Isn't it a bit too cold for a swim?' Téa thought.

Then it hit her, what Bakura was doing. It almost smacked her in the face. She ran down the dock at an alarming speed, calling out, "Bakura? Bakura!"

She was at the end of the dock now, and she saw the hole in the ice where Bakura had gone through. She looked around desperately for something to pull him out with. She found a rope tied to the dock and desperately tried to untie it. It had gotten wet in the rain, though, and it was frozen solid. Téa did her best to untie the rope while looking around for something else in case she couldn't get the rope.

Finally one end of the rope came undone. The other end of it was still tied to the dock. Téa tied the free end around her waist and dove in. The icy water was almost too much for her to bear but she had to save Bakura. She opened her eyes and looked around. It was dark and Téa couldn't see anything. She came back up for a breath of air then dove down again, finding stores of energy and courage she never thought she had.

And then she saw it, just a little glint of gold far below her. 'I hope it's not just a teapot,' Téa thought and dove after it. She had her hands out in front of her and she groped around for a minute. Her right hand hit something soft and she turned to where she thought it-Bakura-was. She wrapped her arms around Bakura and started kicking towards the surface. Téa was getting pretty tired.

Then the rope came undone. Téa felt for where the rope was to guide her to the surface. As she pulled she felt the end of the rope she had so desperately tried to get untied from the dock before. She managed to find her way to the sheet of ice, though, and gave it a hard smack to break it.

She burst to the surface, going from water to rain. The rain had started to turn into chunks of ice and sleet and it was getting colder. Téa pushed her way over to the shore because she knew she would never be able to get both her and Bakura onto the dock. She just managed to pushed Bakura onto hardly dry land and drag herself up too before she fainted, freezing under the gray sky.