Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Darkness Within ❯ A Beautiful Smile ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through tears."

-Unknown

_____________________________________________________________

 

Anzu's brown eyes brightened, Perhaps there's nothing troubling Bakura.

 

Chapter III- A Beautiful Smile

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Stepping aside, Bakura opened the door in order for Anzu to step inside. She entered the apartment room, noticing immediately that the room was very poorly lit.

"Wow, it's so dark in here… How can you see in here?" she asked, squinting into the darkness of the hallway. It hadn't been this dark the last time I was here, she thought.

"Oh, sorry," he said, flicking the light switch on with his good hand. He blinked rapidly, adjusting his eyes to the brightness of the light, and shadowed his eyes with his hand. He continued to lead her out of the hall, which opened up into his bedroom. "Kitchen's over there," he pointed, "Help yourself to anything if you're hungry. And I'll be in the bathroom," he help up his hand, "taking care of this mess." He smiled.

"Ok. Um, I'm not hungry, so I'll just sit here." She flopped onto his bed and smiled.

Without a word, he nodded and disappeared into the bathroom. She watched him leave and after his departure, she quickly scanned the room. Hmmm… Everything's real neat- the bed's the only thing that's kinda out of place. It's not made… Oh geez, Anzu! You woke the poor guy up! She slapped her forehead with the palm of her hand. Oh wait… She froze. No I couldn't have since he had to be awake to cut himself… Anyway, what guy sleeps till noon? Ok… well, Jonouchi's an exception to the rule.

Slowly, she stood up. A glint of gold had caught her eye. "No… No, it couldn't be…" she muttered, moving closer to the desk. Surprised, Anzu? No not surprised, of course not. You knew that it would come back to him when it wasn't found on the blimp. It always finds it's way back. The ring lay on Bakura's desk next to a photograph. Tenderly, she picked the ring up with her thumb and index finger. Droplets of blood sat on the middle pointer of the ring. Alarmed, she let go of the ring, which went clink against the desk.

She staggered backwards, one hand covering her mouth and the other clenched against her chest. "No, no, no…" Bakura lied to me. He didn't cut himself with a knife, but with this ring. But why? Wait. There's no way he could have cut himself by accident. The pointers of the ring would slip if you grasp it, so you can only force it by using another hand to support the point… He cut himself on purpose… But-

She bumped into someone and shrieked.

"Anzu…?"

She turned around. "Oh, Bakura… Sorry, you startled me. So, is your hand all patched up?"

"Actually, I was just going out to find some bandages." She looked at his hand, the pink tissue and the broken skin.

She shuddered. Bakura did this to himself. "Well, ok. Um, do you need any help?" she forced a smile.

"No, I'm OK," he smiled, seemingly oblivious to the fact that Anzu was nervous and jumpy.

He has such a beautiful smile… Anzu watched him disappear into a closet and then into the bathroom. When she was sure he wasn't going to come out anytime soon, she headed towards the desk to investigate further.

This time she studied the photograph. It had fallen of the wall, where it had sat above two other photos, one of Bakura's parents and one of someone, who looked like she must have been Bakura's sister. Oh, so this is his family… They look so happy… This must have been taken before he go separated from his family… He keeps so much sadness bottled up inside. The glass's cracked, so he must have thrown the ring at it. She sighed, and held up the picture by the edge of the frame. Pieces of glass tumbled out of the frame and onto the desk with a tinkle. Her brown eyes continued to study the photograph. It's sad that something like this would happen to such a beautiful person…

 

END OF CHAPTER III

_____________________________________________________________

 

Yup, that's the end of Chapter III. If you have any questions, comments, or constructive criticism please e-mail me at mangadrawer@hotmail.com. Thanks for reading!

_____________________________________________________________