Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Devotion ❯ Purpose ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-gi-oh, Pegasus would have died in the anime too. I mean, it's a shame about Cynthia and all, but "One down."?

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

It's just too perfect.

What an excellent little drama.

Almost as much fun as Funny Bunny!

I'm such a genius.

Ha, Kaiba-boy, do you hate Mokuba so much that you'd risk your life to make sure I keep him?

You do?

What a naughty, naughty boy you are.

And you, Yugi-boy.

You call yourself a friend?

Friends don't let friends drive drunk, and they certainly don't suddenly decide they are cold-blooded murderers, now do they?

Pity the other Yugi-boy has seen through my plan. I'd hoped he would come to hate you for your betrayal, Yugi-boy, but he seems to care for you even after all those nasty, nasty things you've said about him.

It's a shame. To restore Cynthia I need his assistance. If he'd seen how weak you are and let me be his new master…

Oh well. It was fun to send Kaiba that vision. He's so predictable, isn't he? Control his precious brother and you have him.

I'll get the spirit in the end, anyway. But how to get him to help me, hmm?

Help the one he hates so, so much?

Through the one he loves so, so much, of course!

I'd thought to let you go after winning the puzzle from you. It would have been fun to watch you try to survive without your grandfather and only protector. Once I have the puzzle, I won't need souls to increase my power.

But I'll keep the ones I've won. Letting them go wouldn't be any fun!

But keeping you in the shadow realm, making it so that my spells are the only things keeping you alive, forget sane…the spirit will be mine then. And I'll control the greatest power in the world.

The power that can restore my beloved.

But you don't seem to know how, do you? You cast spells out of instinct, without understanding how you do them until you have. Your memory is a blank, pharaoh.

You'd better remember quickly. Or Yugi-boy will pay.

Why should you have the one you care about when I don't?

Why should anyone be happy while I suffer?

Cynthia…

Oh, you'll be so proud of me!

See what I've done for you, how powerful I've become, how much I've sacrificed…

You'll see.

Like I can see you.

Soon you'll be able to see me back.

You silly little children. Just pawns in my game. And pawns, do you know what pawns are for? Cannon fodder, that's what.

Unless they manage to get all the way across the board, however. Then they become a force to be reckoned with.

But you'll never make it that far, Yugi-boy.

I've got you now, caught in my web.

If the spirit recovered his memories…I can see vast power in him. Power that puts mine to shame.

That's why I need you. And that's why I'll smash that puzzle and kill you once I've got Cynthia back.

Can't have you seeking revenge for all I've done to your precious partner, after all.

And all I plan to do to you.

But you won't care about that, will you?

No, the reason you'll hate me and curse my name and plot against me…you don't care that much about yourself.

He's the only thing you care about. Look, here you are willing to suffer just to spare him pain!

Willing to have him hate you after all you've done for him, just to spare him the pain of knowing he failed one of his friends.

It pierces you to the bone, doesn't it?

The pain of his rejection?

But even worse is his despair at losing his grandfather forever.

And we know who lost him, yes, don't we?

Cynthia…I'd do even more for you.

Ha, Yugi-boy, you don't deserve happiness. Don't deserve the luck you've had. Loving family and friends and the greatest power in the world kneeling at your feet, willing to do anything, anything for a kind word.

That's why you have to suffer.

Why should you have joy when my love and my life is dead?

That's why I'm better than you. I'm willing to get my love back no matter what it takes.

You won't even conquer your fears for your beloved grandfather.

Won't sacrifice whatever you have to.

Won't trust in the power he gave you.

Won't trust the one who'd do anything for you.

But I do have a problem. Without the spirit's aid there's no way you'll be able to get enough star chips to make it into the castle, much less defeat the other finalists.

I wonder who'll knock you out?

Bandit Keith, the fool, so anxious to lose again to me?

Your friend Joey?

Will you hate him like you hate the spirit if he defeats you?

Or…Mai?

So you will get into the castle. Well, that's one problem solved.

Who'd have thought a traitor like you could preach friendship and be listened to?

But…it wasn't you. It is the spirit she wants to repay.

After all the kindness he's shown, you still think him a murderer?

Naughty, naughty Yugi-boy.

What a fool.

I wonder if I'll have to steal your opponent's souls to let you win?

What'll you think of that?

Oh…

You can't mean it!

Never duel again!?

But you have to duel! How can I defeat you and claim the puzzle and Kaiba Corp. if you don't duel!

I shouldn't worry. You won't hold out for long.

You need your grandfather too much. You'll find some excuse.

You need him. Like I need Cynthia.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Man, for a three-parter this is turning out to be long! Next up Tea, than Mai's arrival and some povs on that duel, obviously Tea, Yugi and Yami, and maybe a chapter with shorts from others. Next Kaiba vs. Pegasus. Then Yugi vs. Mai and vs. Pegasus. Maybe Yami's thoughts on Yugi vs. Rebecca. I'm keeping this Y/Y centric. Characters may wander off topic but they will be thinking about those two. I don't know how much I'm going to do with battle city. I'm going to go up to the Memory World Arc like I planned for my third chapter. This is the fic that never ends! (A reference to a fic on my favorite stories list, now on its 59th chapter. But I think they took that song out when they cut the author's notes. Shame, they were funny.) Any requests for things you don't want me to miss? R&R!

Chebnile: Sorry, I don't do forums. But my aim is Laryna6 too, and if we're on at the same time I would like to talk. And thanks for putting this on favorites! I plan to do more stories soon, so you can put me on favorite Authors!

Pharoah's Angel: You're welcome! And thanks for putting me on Author Alert and reviewing right away! Fanfic.net won't show that I've updated! Wah! Anyway, it's nice to know someone thinks I did ok on Kaiba. They really change him around, it was hard for me to stay true to the real character and make it work with the dub.

Silvershadowfire: I agree. Why would Yugi freak because he lost the duel? He threw it! Loved Granny in your fic, by the way. You're really making it work. It doesn't seem contrived at all, just Discworld crazyness. Great!

Once again, check out my favorites lists! I have some great stuff!