Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Devotion ❯ Helpfullness ( Chapter 25 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-gi-oh, Yugi would be shown winning more than one major duel. The others he forfeits or they just end.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVA VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Goddamn it.

I can't sleep.

Everything is just going round and round in my head…

What am I going to do? Duel, obviously, but…

I was so determined not to duel. But then I decided to take the risk. To trust myself, that I could hold the spirit back.

But one moment of inattention, after… what Pegasus did, and he took over again.

He didn't hurt anyone, even though he was pissed as hell at Pegasus.

Man oh man. I'd better quit it with the language fast, or I'm going to say some of this stuff in front of Grandpa and then I'm in for it.

He washed Joey's mouth out with soap.

And before I know, it's morning and I'm dueling and it's hard, so hard, holding the spirit back and I beat Joey and Mai and I duel Pegasus and I lose and I'm trapped forever and so are Grandpa and Kaiba and Mokuba and Tea and Joey and Tristan and Ryou…

And as I'm alone in the cold, cold dark I feel arms wrapped around me and it's the spirit? But he's helping Pegasus steal people's souls and taking over the world…

And hands cover my eyes and … everything's gone…

It was just a dream.

I want to thank him, but I turn around and he's gone. Why… where…?

It's a room filled with toys and games. Everything is so familiar, but I know I've never been here before… no, I have.

And… there's a voice, calling me.

Grandpa?!!!

I spring out of bed and run through the halls of the castle, following…

Grandpa. You're in a card, on a cross… Kaiba and Mokuba are here…

Kaiba's pleading?!

Wait. Pegasus is stealing souls to get stronger? Something, some connection is hovering on the edge of my mind, but before I can grasp it, it's gone.

I'm so angry. They're suffering, and Pegasus is being helped by this?! He wants this!?

I pour out my doubts, my fears, how I don't think I can beat him. I've missed telling Grandpa things.

Although I really shouldn't be happy about telling him I'm probably not going to be able to rescue him.

Trust the power of the Millennium Puzzle?!

Gee, thanks.

I don't know how to use it's power at all, and from what I've seen what the Millennium Items mostly are good for is doing nasty stuff to people's souls. Like stuffing them in cards. Or possessing them.

Does he mean trust the Spirit?! Wait… does he know about the spirit? And he hasn't told me?

…wait…

How come…

Where exactly am I? Even at night, it's not like this outside the castle. Am I still dreaming? I don't think so, but why am I so sure this is real?

I can feel stuff, but it's not like normal. Is this the Shadow Realm that Pegasus and the thing that possessed Ryou took us to?

Well, Grandpa is in a card, but so are the monsters, and they're from the Shadow Realm… so, this could really be Grandpa. For some reason I'm sure it is.

But why would he tell me to trust the Puzzle?

Anyway, Grandpa, I promise I will get you out of here!

And I feel myself wake up. I must have got too excited.

I don't feel the spirit. And it's really early, and I'm wide awake. I should be dead tired. The last time I looked at the clock it was 4 am, and it's 6 now. Did… did he do something?

I strip to shower, since I have time, and I smell my clothes to debate whether or not to use the soap to wash them. The duels start at eight, if I hang the shirt up it at least should dry. It smells… clean. Like it's just come out of the wash at home. I can smell the kind of detergent we use.

He must have… cleaned them. With magic. Why would he do that? To try to get in my good books?

Was he behind that dream I had? He must have done something to help me sleep. I should be dead tired. When I'm stressed, I just can't sleep.

Was that really Grandpa? If it was, did the spirit threaten him or something to make him saw to trust the Puzzle?

He said trust the Puzzle, not trust the spirit? Was that because he didn't know about the spirit, or to say not to trust the spirit without being caught?

I rest my head against the shower walls as I stand under the pouring spray and think. Why would the spirit let me sleep, clean my clothes, show me my Grandpa?

Was it so the body would be in good condition to take over? He just didn't want to be tired and smelly?

He showed me Grandpa during the duel with Kaiba. Was this another attempt to make me see how important winning is? To convince me to let him take over?

But why would he show me Kaiba? Kaiba's presence made me think of what he did, or would have done if I hadn't stopped him, to Kaiba.

But… wouldn't he want me to be sleepy? I'm pretty sure the condition my body is in doesn't seem to affect him. By the end of yesterday and the day before, I was barely standing, but when he took over, he was fine.

And wouldn't me being too tired to think straight be a good thing for him? If I was in no condition to duel, I would be more likely to hand over control. Or, it would be easier for him to take it if I couldn't concentrate.

I don't know what to think. Was he just being nice?

I want it to be that.

Everyone's here now. It's time. And like I have so many times before when I'm about to duel, I reach out to him instinctively. And he comes from wherever he is.

And he hugs me. Just for a second, but I feel happiness that he is wanted, but also a deep sadness. Is he sorry for what he's done? Was what he did last night a way of saying sorry?

When I don't push him away, mostly because I'm too stunned, he gets even happier. Then he returns his attention to what is going on around him.

I let myself be a passenger for now. I think… I think I will let him duel. I have to know if I can trust him.

But I'm not going to let him do whatever he wants.

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVA VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Review responses:

Moonymonster: Thanks for the great review!

Master Elora Dannan: You poor, poor thing. I hope this has been helpful.

Sylvia Viridian: That's exactly my story.

Subieko: That moment already happened. Now, they're both trying to get back together, but they're being too cautious.

MotherCHOWGoddess: I hope you like it there!

Silvershadowfire: Actually, that had nothing to do with it.

Pharaoh Atemu's Angel: Both soon, I promise!

Amber Eyes23: Already have, and will again soon.