Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Devotion ❯ Safety ( Chapter 24 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-gi-oh, Yami would never have left Yugi!!!!!

Um… sorry about so long not updating. A. no computer, and I don't want to write yaoi in a computer lab with people reading over my shoulder, and B. the computers here do random stuff like replace letters with Chinese characters.

If you want Y/YY from me, go to UsagiLovesDuochan's profile (she writes cool Y/Y too) and click on the link to the yahoo group pharaoh's hikari. It's a group dedicated to Y/Y with a ton of cool stuff including Doujinshi scanlations. There's also exclusive art and stories by Lizeth there (of History of Magic fame!). My fic, Powers of the Storm, will only be posted there. Join! It's really cool!

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

You've finally calmed, little light. You were tossing and turning and mumbling to yourself about how you needed to get some rest for the duels tomorrow, but you were too worried…

When I drew you into sleep, did you not resist because you appreciated the help, or because you were too tired to realize I was aiding you?

I sit here and watch your face.

I won't.

I won't lose you. I won't let us become Pegasus's possessions.

I won't fail you again.

There's a twig in your hair. It's been there since last night, when you slept on the ground.

No one's looking especially good. Except Mai.

Enough food for all of us (all of us who eat, anyway), a solar shower… a very smart lady.

I also owe her for making it so that you didn't go to bed hungry last night.

I hope I get to give her that honorable duel she wanted. I hope you help me.

I hope you let me help you.

That's all I've wanted for as long as I can remember.

With the spell I used, you should be up early enough to get a shower and clean up. Maybe you'll thank me for being so well rested?

I'll use a spell to clean your clothing.

What's that noise?

You… you're crying. Whimpering.

I didn't want to invade your privacy, but this will not be!

No.

No.

Stop seeing this, little one! This shall not become truth, this false vision. I won't let it.

Your grandfather will soon be free, as well as the Kaibas. You and your friends will remain free. I promise it.

I cover your dream self's eyes and the scene vanishes. I leave before you can see me. I don't want you any more angry with me than you already are.

It's only a temporary respite, however. The things Pegasus has done… they haunt your gentle soul. His cruelty is incomprehensible to you.

It speaks of your purity, that you have not grasped the concept of sadism after having been the target of so much casual cruelty.

You will dream again, in an attempt to understand.

I've talked to you before, to distract you in your dreams. And, like most other dreams, you've forgotten it when you've woken up.

But you wouldn't want to talk to me.

There is nothing I can say to you that will not make you feel worse. I will not tell you the truth, that I meant no harm to Kaiba. And you would not wish to let an attempted murderer calm your fears.

Oh, little one…

You're lonely. During the day your friends are there, but during the nights the one who has calmed your fears, your only family, is your grandfather. And you fear you will never see him again.

I'll make sure you see him again. Even if only once.

Hmmm. Pegasus is distracted. Oh well, I'm not complaining.

I can't break them free from a Millennium Item's hold, but I can open a window. The Kaiba's too. Letting them see out of their prisons, letting them see each other… it's the least I can do for them.

I won't spy on them. Let them say to each other and to Yugi what they wish.

Time passes, it's impossible to tell here. And then Yugi wakes up, and my spell connecting them to him ends.

And I feel a rush of blackest despair.

Solomon is fine, he trusts in his grandson. But the Kaibas… they have no one in their lives they feel they can trust but each other. And now they are being pulled apart.

I can't.

I can't stay here, I need to go, Yugi needs me…

But I can't leave you two in your private hells. And… Yugi doesn't need me right now.

He doesn't want me, ever.

He'd probably be happy to have some alone time in his head.

So I stay. And keep a window open between the brothers. So they can at least speak to each other.

Yugi doesn't want to speak to me.

Why is my magic being tugged on? Oh, Kaiba. He has quite a bit of power, but most of it is being drained by Pegasus now.

Why would he tug?

I enter his prison and find him pressed up against the window, Mokuba on the other side.

His eyes…

I will never let Yugi look like that. If Pegasus tries to do this to him, I will kill him.

Without a second thought.

Mokuba's crying. Tears of relief.

And there are tear streaks on Kaiba's face as well, but he's not crying now.

He's looking at me and begging with his eyes. He's moving his lips, but he's forgotten how to speak. If he loses touch with Mokuba here again, he will break. And he knows it.

I can't…

Yugi needs me. I can't stay here forever, and I have to stay in this realm to maintain the spell.

But Kaiba could maintain it.

But with Pegasus already draining as much as he can from him, one more drain would rob him of thought as long as it lasts.

But is that such a bad thing, while he is imprisoned.

Kaiba sees that I have found a solution. He wants it.

I steal his energies and cast the spell. He slumps against the window, a smile on his lips. Still aware of his brother's presence.

Mokuba sees and panics. His lips frame Seto's name, and he bangs against the window, but he cannot reach his brother.

I pass into his prison and hold him, reassure him. Your brother's just sleeping, see? He's safe.

And Mokuba wiggles out of my arms and presses himself up against the window. His eyes drink in the sight of his Nii-sama.

Even in the shadow realm, it is possible to be happy if the one you care for is safe.

Yugi is ready to go duel. He… he calls for me!

And I answer his call and pull him into my arms for a second. He's stiff, but… he didn't push me away!

Does this mean…

VAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAV

Ash: Here you go!

Shining Charizard: Read the manga version of the end of the Peg. Vs Yugi duel. They have scanlations at janime.net

Subieko: Given that my theory is that he was deliberately driven nuts by the Seven Sadistic Shiny Thingies, I feel for him.

MotherCHOWGoddess: I actually was fine the next day.

Sylvia Viridian: Like I said, I really feel sorry for him. And thanks!

Amber Eyes23: Sorry to keep you waiting!

SilverShadowFire: Exactly!

Pharaoh Atemu's Angel: Probably because she's a pretty girl one of the bishies is interested it. Can we say jealousy, anyone? Ditto Tea.