Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Devotion ❯ Wait ( Chapter 33 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-gi-oh, would this be hosted at fanfiction.net? No. I don't own it.
 
I've decided Devotion will be 36 chapters: this is number 33. My first fanfic project will soon come to a close, with 33 more chapters than the three I thought I would do when I started it. The feedback I got early on really helped shape this, and I think I've grown a lot as a writer by doing it. Once again, I would like to thank all my reviewers.
 
This is going to be one of my misc. chapters, where I do people I don't feel like giving a whole chapter too. In order, they will be Croquet, Bakura, Ryou, Tristan, Mahaado (Dark Magician), and Bandit Keith.
 
YGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGOYGO
 
The tournament will now begin. Duelists, please…
 
I announce the beginning, and it's like I'm announcing the end. Master Pegasus won't let any of them off the island. Well, maybe Bandit Keith. It's not like anyone would believe the drunk, he's been insisting for years that Master Pegasus cheated, and no one's believed him, especially after he started to learn to cheat himself, probably in some vain attempt to fight back.
 
There isn't anything that can fight the eye. The rest of them? Kids, they wouldn't be listened to either, but he's probably not going to let them go. Young souls are stronger, ones with hope. That's probably the only reason I still have mine.
 
And Ms. Valentine looks far, far too much like Master Pegasus' dead wife. It's easy to recognize, as I'm surrounded by her portrait day in and day out. I don't want to know if Master Pegasus will need a host body for her, and I don't want to ask. Don't want to know.
 
It's not going to make any difference, like with the other kids there's nothing I can do. I'm a prisoner here myself. Haven't been off this island in… years, except when Master Pegasus goes somewhere, and of course he wants his right-hand man.
 
It's like something out of some fairy tale. He has books of them, as well as the Funny Bunny comics and TV-show DVDs.
 
Yeah, so I read a few.
 
Not like there's much else to do around here but slave.
 
In some of them, the sorcerers had it damn good in their enchanted castles before the knights came along. Servants at their beck and call… Master Pegasus is living those stories.
 
Some of those stories were graphic when it came to what happened to those who disobeyed, the heroes who couldn't cut it.
 
These kids think they're heroes, white knights. They're duelists, but they haven't got a chance of helping anyone, let alone themselves.
 
At least, that was what I thought until I saw Master Pegasus look shocked when Yugi Motou drew that card.
 
YGOYGOYGOYGOYGO
 
So the Pharaoh won out after all. Of course. That mortal fool had no chance against him.
 
I look forward to when we duel, Pharaoh.
 
YGOYGOYGOYGOYGO
 
Joey was rather hard to pull back up when he almost fell off, even with Tristan's help. That would have been a nasty fall.
 
It's wonderful we're all here to watch Yugi duel, even under the circumstances. He's a wonderful duelist, and I'm sure he will be able to save his grandfather.
 
His grandfather falling into that coma frightened me for a while. It reminded me of how all my friends at my other schools would fall into comas after playing Monster World with me. I used to wonder if I was carrying some sort of plague or something, even after all the tests were negative… then I used to think I was cursed, and try to avoid people.
 
But this wasn't me, this was Pegasus. They played Monster World with me, and nothing happened, and they've all been wonderful friends.
 
It must be terrible of me to think this after so much has happened, but I haven't felt his alive since my sister Amane died. But Yugi seems to be feeling better now too, that he's in the finals and has a better chance of winning him back.
 
So… why was I relieved when the duel ended by Mai surrendering? I was so relieved it… worried me.
 
YGOYGOYGOYGOYGO
 
Man, Joey! You gotta lose some weight. We've both gotten out of shape since we quit running with the gangs. You should've been able to take that big loser Keith apart in two seconds! I saw you fight. Hit his kneecaps and…
 
Oh, yeah. This isn't the streets. This is civilization. If you can call it that with all this weird magic.
 
Yugi's won this duel, and he'll beat whoever wins the other one, whether it's you or (sorry, bud) Bandit Keith. Looked close for a while there, though. Man oh man.
 
I'm looking forward to when we get off this island. I like a nice normal life, you know? Trying to get a date, look after my dog and my sister's kid, not pay attention in school, hang out with my best buds…
 
Good thing Yugi's dueling like his old… selves, again. I think we're a lot more likely to see normal life again now.
 
YGOYGOYGOYGOYGO
 
And thus I rush into battle when I should not and fail you yet again, My Pharaoh. Although to lose by a spell, even such a petty one, is better than to be fooled into attacking instead of defending you by my own foolish pride.
 
It was my duty to defend the tombs, the tomb of your dead father among them, and when that thief dragged his body before the court, when you had not even begun to recover from his death…
 
I wanted to hunt him down, to avenge my honor, not to avenge your father's dishonor. And so I fought alone instead of by your side, fought and fell instead of guarded your back.
 
And so I swore to guard your for eternity, giving up my life to do so. But that was not such a sacrifice, My Pharaoh, for by my foolishness I was already doomed.
 
But it was not enough. You still died. My death weakened you.
 
And in this battle, my death also weakened you, as I once again fought against your orders.
 
But you forgive me, and revive me to fight for you, stronger than before.
 
You are too kind, My Pharaoh, to forgive me. But perhaps it is that you understand what it is to need to be forgiven.
 
YGOYGOYGOYGOYGO
 
Interesting duel. Something seemed to be holding that Yugi kid back, just like with Kaiba. Something about fearing himself?
 
Kid's got a bit of a killer instinct, yeah. You need one to duel. But not enough of one. Wimp.
 
Damn impressive draw, though. Kid's got the same sort of edge Pegasus has… magic. Cheating bastards… not going to lose, though.
 
All else fails, got me a gun. He may be able to see cards, but can he see that? Probably no, otherwise he would have confiscated it by now.
 
Lying in the shadows here, I can match the trigger hairs to the hair on his head. Heh.
 
Later, though. I want to beat you if I can get a change. Not going to be fair and square, though. You're not going to play it that way, and if the rules are out the window, I'm going to take what I can get. Looks like that Yugi kid's come to the same decision. He had to use magic to get that card, there's no way. That draw was impossible.
 
But then… I used to pull off some `impossible' draws.
 
Forget it. I've got cards up my sleeve for when I face him. That Joey punk still hasn't realized I swiped his card. So I'll just lie here, until I'm called…
 
Saying I was asleep did piss him off. Heh.
 
This is going to be damn good. Better be, I've waited so long…