Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Dueling with Dragons ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two

Seto sipped the sparkling cider with bored disdain. He hated parties. The people were frivolous and annoying, their clothing was an insult to the eyes and the animals killed to make them. The talk was pointless and empty, and the room was hot and filled with choking perfumes. Plus, there was the wine. He couldn't drink the fancy wine served at the high-society parties. One, he was too young. Tch, as if that would stop him if he wanted. However, he really had no head for wines. A true drawback to a high-powered businessman. Still, it gave him an advantage later in the evening, when the drinks went too quickly and tongues flapped loosely. Seto wasn't the type to use blackmail. He had, however, quite the collection of Knowledge for Future Uses. And, yes, there is a difference. Let's say, a manager decided to quit and work for Industrial Illusions, another hard-core entertainment company. Then, Seto would use his Knowledge to make sure that the ex-manager would stay loyal to KaibaCorp. He was very good at what he did. Which was why he hadn't broken yet. There were few employees left from Gozubaru's reign. Most had quit or had been fired when he took over. The only ones left were the Big Five and maybe some industrial workers who didn't care who they worked for, as long as they got paid. The Big Five only remained, in Seto's opinion, because they lived to annoy him. It was a type of revenge for turning KaibaCorp from a weapons industry into an entertainment conglomerate and loosening their hold over the people.

Multicolored dresses whirled as the dancers spun past. Kaiba had become known as the Frozen Flower, referring to the fact that he never danced, and his cold stare frightened girls, and the occasional boy, from asking him. Never show yourself less than your dignity allows. Never stoop to mundane activities that show your humanity, because then your enemies can strike you down.

Seto shook his head briefly, shedding past memories and sighed as a frill-covered girl of about twenty glided over to him. The party's theme was the 1700-1800 England, and the girls were wearing large hoop-skirts of varying sizes and colors, while the males dressed like color-blind peacocks. This girl had way too much fun with her costume. It was pink, it had ribbons, frills and lace, and the hoop was nearly as wide as she was tall. Her blonde hair was piled up on her head like a beehive, tendrils hanging down in a supposed sexy way. She looked like an insane cupcake come to life.

"Seto Kaiba, I presume?" she asked archly, presenting a hand to be kissed, totally

getting into the theme of the party. Seto raised an eyebrow at her, ignoring the offered hand. After a pause, she dropped it and huffed. "My name is Keiko Sohma."

Only part Japanese, Seto thought, eyeing the blonde hair. Or perhaps that was a wig? He studied it suspiciously for a moment. No, he decided, he could see the roots. So, a Sohma did she say? This must be the granddaughter of the old Takaya Sohma, head of the Treasures and Toys company. "How do you do?" he replied stiffly. The girl smiled in what she thought to be a coquettish way.

"You seemed rather lonely all by yourself over here. Perhaps we could... keep each other company?" she said, tilting her head slightly to show him a nice view of her neck. Seto wondered how she could move her head at all with that mountain on her head.

"It's so difficult to find someone to talk to, you know," she continued, mistaking his silence for agreement. "I just arrived here from Tokyo yesterday and haven't made any friends yet. I sure hope that we could... get to know each other, don't you?" She edged closer, touching his arms slightly. "Brr," she shivered, moving even closer. "It's gotten kind chilly all of a sudden. How about we dance? You know, to get the blood moving?"

"I apologize, but I don't dance," Seto said briskly, all business tone.

"Oh, but you must, surely!" Keiko protested, eyes wide. "The great Seto Kaiba doesn't even know how to dance?"

Seto sniffed. "I know how." She began tugging on his arm, trying to force him onto the dance floor. "Oh, then you must dance with me!"

He stood his ground firmly. "You seem to misunderstand me, Sohma-san. I certainly know how to dance. I just don't."

"Oh, but why ever not?"

"I prefer not to have some overly scented creature cling to me for most of the night because I allowed a single dance. If you would excuse me, Sohma-san? I see an associate that I must speak to." With that, Seto left her there, fuming as he moved through the crowd. Twenty paces away and Seto had already dismissed her from his mind. He caught sight of an ally watching him. When Seto met his gaze, the man quickly looked away. Seto frowned. The man was Yuzuru, one of Seto's most helpful associates. However, from the way the man was acting made Seto suspicious. In a few short strides, he was next to Yuzuru, staring down at him with his usual detached air. "Yuzuru," he said shortly.

"Kaiba-san," Yuzuru replied, meeting his gaze hesitantly.

Seto looked away to watch the dancers, pretending nonchalance as he spoke casually, "How is your family?"

"Oh, just fine, Kaiba-san. Little Annasie took her first steps last week."

"Hm."

"How is your brother?"

Seto tensed automatically. Flashing a quick glance at Yuzuru, he saw nothing but curiosity. "He's fine." His tone made it clear that was all he was going to say. Yuzuru sighed and took a deep drink from his glass. "There have been some...difficulties lately, Kaiba-san," he admitted softly. Seto saw him glance nervously around.

"Come." He spun, much like a soldier's about-face, and marched out of the room to one of the private parlors. Seto stopped, standing in the middle of a finely decorated room, the only light came from the large fire. It seemed to cast strange shadows across his pale face, casting an illusion of ethereal beauty. Yet, the glitter of his eyes showed something darker, and as deadly as sin. It unnerved Yuzuru, who shut the door carefully behind him as he entered the elegant room. "Tell me what is bothering you so much that you cannot look me in the eye," Seto's voice was sharp as an icicle, driving through Yuzuru's reluctance with pin-point accuracy.

"There have been, rumors."

Seto was silent, waiting for the man to continue.

"They concern yourself and that of your brother. I do not know where they originate from, however, they speak of using something they called prestolatio diabolus."

Seto raised an eyebrow. "That? They want to use that?!" His mouth twisted into a cruel parody of a smile. "They must be joking."

Yuzuru shook his head. "They seem serious."

"And you're worried about that? There's no need. That only a silly tale. Forget it."

"But there has been information..."

Seto waved a dismissive hand. "Faulty. Nothing more."

Yuzuru grabbed his arm as he tried to pass. "Please take this seriously, Kaiba-san! They don't mean to remove you anymore, they mean to kill you!"

"Then they'd better get a move on and not speak of such children's tales," Seto sneered, pulling his arm away and sweeping out of the room.

He returned to his vacated corner to watch the proceedings with veiled contempt. Seto finished the sparkling cider in continued disdain. Such ridiculousness. Who did they think he was? A child to be frightened by bedtime-stories?! Pathetic. The dancing was getting wilder now, laughter getting louder and more careless. It was getting late. The heat and the stink of sweat mixed perfume was giving him a headache. Or was it the heat? The world swam before his eyes. Wha-? He looked down at his drink. It was empty, but... The room swam again. Shit. Something was wrong. He had to get out of there. Seto decided it was time to go. Using iron-clad will-power to force the world to remain upright, he made his was out of the room.

"Kaiba-san!" A haughty-voice caught up to him. It was Takaya Sohma, the host of this little party. "Don't tell me you're leaving already, Kaiba-san?"

"Yes," Seto said shortly. Damn, did Takaya have a twin or something? He was seeing double. Shitshitshit, not good.

"Oh, but you mustn't leave yet!"

"I apologize. However, I have pressing business elsewhere. Goodnight." Seto mentally congratulated himself for managing to get through the sentence without fumbling. Takaya watched him leave sadly, a slight frown marring his features. However, Seto didn't notice as he almost stumbled out the door.

Damn... he hissed silently, watching the sidewalk roil before his gaze. Someone must have put something in that drink. But how? He never let his drink out of his hand and had it made specifically to his direction while he watched. It wasn't a good idea to be handed a drink that you didn't see made. Seto groaned softly as the world swirled. He couldn't focus. Everything was fuzzy and foreign. He wasn't even aware of where he was going, just knew he had to get away from all those people, all of whom had to be part of this. The ground rose suddenly up to meet him and he fell.

Jou kicked a stone, watching his skit away under the lamplight. He scowled after it. He and his father had a bit of a fight over his father's "business" trip. After screaming at each other for nearly an hour, Jou and left, slamming the door behind. So, he had lied. Who cares. His father's trip to Tokyo had nothing to do with business, but more to do with him being forced into a six-month "rehab." After his latest drunken escapade the neighbors phoned the police for the last time. It was either rehabilitation or prison and Jou's father had obviously chosen the former. Jou would be staying with Yugi for the remainder of the time, but unfortunately, Yugi's grandfather had a special section on his shop opening and they didn't have room for Jou until after it was finished. So, Jou ended up being forced to bunk with Kaiba for a whole week. At this point, Jou would have sworn that someone was out to get him.

So immersed in these poisonous thoughts was he that he tripped over something. Stumbling, but catching himself, Jou glared back at yet another obstruction on his path. His eyes widened as he recognized a familiar, silver-white trench coat. "Kaiba?!" He stared down in shock for a good thirty seconds. Finally, Kaiba stirred, trying to stand but seemed unable to. "Oi? Kaiba, you okay?" Jou asked, slight concern touching his vocal cords now. He kneeled next to the struggling figure to help steady him. Opaque, blue eyes slit open to gaze blurrily in his direction.

"Jou?" he mumbled. Jou's eyebrows shot up. Kaiba had just called him by his name? What the hell?! "You drunk or somethin'?"

"Somethin'," Kaiba parroted, trying to level himself up, but failing. Jou finally grabbed hold of his arms and helped him to a sitting position, where he was promptly shaken off. "Get off, mutt."

Jou scowled. "Not a good time to be insult'n me, you know."

Kaiba looked up at him with half-lidded eyes. "...Whatever."

"Hey? You okay?"

"I'm fine," he growled. To prove this, he rose unsteadily to his feet. "Oh god," he moaned, reaching out to brace himself on the lamppost.

"Damn, what happened?" Jou asked, concern overriding annoyance at the stubborn CEO.

"..I hate parties.." Kaiba hissed, his other hand holding his head is if it were going to break. Jou snorted. "You got hammered?!"

"Shut it, mutt. I needa get back tothe housse." His speech was getting slurred. Not a good sign. Jou nodded, smirking.

"You got ya cell phone?"

Kaiba blinked at him for a long moment before cursing. He'd forgotten all about it. Carefully, he reached into his pocket and pulled out the sleek, black cell. Everything went dark.

Jou yelped, leaping forward as Kaiba collapsed. Sagging against the taller man's weight, he pivoted around to lay him down carefully. "Goddamn it, Kaiba. You hadda make it so much more difficult, didn't ya?" Picking up Kaiba's fallen phone, he flipped it open and stared at it. Oookay, now what? Returning to Kaiba side, he shook him violently. "Oi Kaiba! Kaiba! What's your home number!?"

Kaiba stirred and mutter something that sounded like, "Spdiel fur."

Jou looked at the phone. Speed-Dial four, huh? Punching the number in, he listened as the phone rattled off a variety of beeps. After a moment, someone picked up.

"Yes, Kaiba-san?"

"Uhhh, hi!"

"Hello? Kaiba-san? Wait, who's this?"

"Um. Who's this?"

"This is Parker, Kaiba's chauffeur. Who is this?"

"Great! Parker, Kaiba's collapsed, drunk or something. He could use a pick up!"

There was silence for a moment, then, "Very funny. Who is this?"

Jou felt a hand on his jacket. Kaiba glared up at him from the ground and motioned for the phone. Jou handed it over gratefully.

"Kaiba here," Kaiba snapped. There was silence for a moment. "I know. Get over here in ten minutes or you'll bloody regret it." He paused then looked at Jou. "Where are we?" he asked in the tone that said that if Jou laughed he wouldn't live to regret it. Jou gave directions and Kaiba repeated then curtly into the phone-end. Snapping it closed, he sighed and closed his eyes. Jou sat next to him, watching him nervously. "What's with the British accent?" he asked finally. Kaiba's head snapped up.

"What? Oh." The party's theme must have rubbed off on him. How embarrassing. Too bad he didn't care. He decided not to respond though, he didn't think his speech was up to it at that point.

Jou sat, waiting for some kind of response from Kaiba. After several minutes of uncomfortable silence, he looked over at him to find his eyes shut. He'd passed out again. Damn.

When the limousine finally pulled up, Jou was shivering. It was getting colder and sitting out on the cold, still-wet concrete did not help any. He looked up as a door slammed and a man in a formal suit came running up.

"Shit," Parker spat. Glaring momentarily at Jou, he said, "Well, don't just sit there, boy. Help me get him up." Jou frowned briefly at the haughty attitude from the man, but brushed it aside. Between them, they managed to haul Kaiba into the limousine. It was a harder task than it looked, Kaiba was tall. His long limbs kept getting in the way. "Right, get in," Parker ordered. Before Jou could protest, the chauffer pushed him in and shut the door.

"Hey now!" Jou said indignantly when Parker got behind the wheel.

"Shut it. My wife is going to want an explanation from you."

"Your...wife?" Jou repeated, at a loss. Parker didn't answer and the rest of the trip was made in silence.

Apparently Parker had phoned ahead, for when they pulled up Jou found a horde of servants assaulting the vehicle as soon as it slowed.

"Parker! You got him?"

"Get him out, hurry!"

"Damn, not again."

"Has someone gotten hold of Doctor Sha?"

"Frances, what are you doing? Go make sure the young Master stays upstairs!"

"Yes, ma'am!"

"Outta the way, boy!"

"Got his legs? Good. Now, get him inside."

Jou was shoved violently out of the car and aside as no less than five people carried the unconscious Kaiba indoors. A hand descended on his shoulder, making him jump. Parker was there, glaring at him. Jerking his head, he growled, "Come on," before leading him inside.

Indoors, the people seems much more organized. Kaiba was laid on a sofa in the entrance hall with a blanket spread across him. Servants were bustling about as a woman about three times Jou's age called out orders. Parker stood next him, smiling vaguely at the woman. "That..." he said with a touch of pride, "is my wife." As soon as these words left his mouth, the woman turned to face Jou in all her glory. She was a plump woman, but there was a firmness about her that said that she'd dealt with people with much more backbone than you, so don't even try being smart. Graying, blond hair was tied neatly in a bun on her head and her eyes snapped with authority. Jou quailed underneath her penetrating stare.

"You!" She thundered, striding over to him, as impressive as a mountain. "You're that boy who found him!" It wasn't a question, but Jou nodded anyway. "What happened?"

"I was just taking a walk when I tripped over him. That's it! He was acting drunk so I called him a ride home. But then he," Jou jerked a thumb at Parker, his confidence grew with every word, "dragged me along. How come?!"

The woman sighed expansively. "Rats." It sounded strange coming from her, almost as if she uttered the most vulgar of cuss-words. "Master Kaiba isn't drunk," she said in a much calmer tone. "He doesn't drink, actually. He hates what alcohol does to his head."

"So...what's wrong with him?" Jou asked.

"Out of my way!" Came a shrill voice echoing across the hall. A tiny man, wearing a bright-orange dressing gown and fuzzy, green slippers ran down the hall, clutching a bag in one hand. He slid as he tried to stop on the polished floor, but managed to remain standing. "Right, right! Let me guess. One of those parties again, right? Of course. Silly, silly. Come now, where is that stethoscope? Ha! There it is. Now, let me see, now. Hmmmm. Uh huuuh. Interesting. Now, how about? Hnn. Ha! Yes, yes! I see, I see!" The man rattled off loudly as he checked Kaiba's pulse and peeled back an eyelid to look at his eye. Turning around, he announce cheerfully, "He's been drugged! Just wait for him to pull through. Make sure he keeps warm and give him fluids. If he starts going into a seizure than detain him until I can come. Whoo!" He let out a huge sigh. "I swear, if this place where any bigger, I'd demand for a golf-cart to get around! Well, goodnight, everyone!" Spinning, he danced out of the hall back where he came, leaving Jou gaping after him in shock.

Parker's wife laughed at his expression. "That was Doctor Sha. He's been the Kaiba's family doctor since before Gozubaru. He's something of a nut, but he's one of the best doctors in the world."

"He...lives here?" Jou asked in horror. The woman looked surprised.

"Of course! All of the servants live here."

"And Kaiba allows it?"

"And why not?" Now she seemed annoyed at him.

"I dunno. He just don't seem the type to let...noisy people like him," he waved a hand towards the door that Doctor Sha had used, "run around like that."

"Master Kaiba does like his quiet. Here, come to the kitchen and we can get you something to drink. I apologize on how I acted earlier. I'm Mrs. McKlain, the housekeeper." Mrs. McKlain steered him towards the kitchen. Jou, still in a state of shock, stared back at Kaiba as he was led away. "Wait! Kaiba was drugged?! And you're leaving him like that?"

"There's nothing we can do. We just have to wait until he sleeps it off. Don't worry. Katherine, my daughter, is looking after him."

"But, what about Mokuba?"

"Frances is looking after him. Master Kaiba wouldn't want him to see him like this."

"How can you act so calm?!" Jou finally burst out. "I mean, yeah, Kaiba's an ass and everything, but..."

"We have everything under control. This is nothing compared to what we used to deal with. Now, cocoa?" she asked. Jou looked around to find himself in a very large kitchen. In the center was a table to which Mrs. McKlain led him.

"Um. Yes, please," Jou said meekly. Mrs. McKlain nodded, smiling gently at him.

"Don't worry. You can stay the night, if you wish. As an apology for forcing you here like this."

"What! Uh, no! Kaiba would have a fit if he found out! I mean..."

"But aren't you that boy that's supposed to staying here for a while?"

"How did you know?"

"Master Kaiba told me."

"He.. Told you?"

"Of course! We have to prepare a room, you know!" She smiled at him.

"Uh, sure, ya of course." Jou felt rather put-upon. This wasn't exactly how he'd imagined his evening.

"Ah, thank you, Anna," Mrs. Mcklain said, accepting a cup of steaming liquid from a small woman with tightly-bound hair. Handing the cup over to Jou, she nodded at the woman. "This is Mrs. Rylie, our cook."

Jou grinned. "Nice to meet ya. I had some of Kaiba's lunch today, it was fantastic!"

"You did?" Mrs. Rylie asked, surprised.

Jou nodded. "Yeah, Kaiba prob'ly wasn't hungry. It was great."

Mrs. McKlain sighed. "That sounds like Master Kaiba. Don't let it worry you, dear," she patted the cook reassuringly on the arm. Jou looked down at the drink and took a sip. Spice and the sweet tang of chocolate exploded on his tongue. Gasping slightly at the heat of the drink, he took a large gulp.

"Hey, now. It's not going to run away!" The cook said, laughing.

"What's in this?" Jou asked, wiping the chocolate mustache from his lip.

"Well, chocolate, milk, and chili powder."

"Chili powder?!"

"You like it?"

"Hm," Jou said indistinctly through the drink. The housekeeper laughed. To Jou astonishment, he found himself enjoying the moment. He was enjoying himself inside Kaiba's mansion. If there had been any windows, Jou would have looked for airborne pigs. Perhaps he could stand a week here. If all the servants were this nice, then Jou didn't think he'd mind at all.

End of Chapter Two.

In the next chapter, Jou steps inside the room that'll be his for the entirety of his stay in Kaiba's mansion. And who is the very first person he sees the next morning? Why, a very awake and grumpy Seto Kaiba! And Kaiba sees Mokuba off at the airport. Can he really survive without his younger brother, with the mutt in his house, no less? Join us next time to find out!