Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Duelists of the Elemental Spirits ❯ Chapter 3: Problems With Dogs ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Suma Muto- Yami/Yugi
Amane Bakura- Ryou/Tama
Yasu and Ammon Khalid- Bakura/Yume
Zahur and Liam Ishtar- Malik/Ashling
Ryan Ishtar- Mariku/Holly
Chizu Kaiba- Seto/Serenity
Jono and Seth- Joey/Mai

Shiro: Apparently the chart has decided to stay, so who am I to argue with it?

Disclaimer: I still don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. You'd think you all would have learned that by now. Oh, I also don't own Yu-Gi-Oh!GX. I do own all OC's in this fanfiction.

-D-U-E-L-I-S-T-S--O-F--T-H-E--E-L-E-M-E-N-T-A-L- -S-P-I-R-I-T-S--D-U-E-L-I-S-T-S-

Chapter 3: Problems with Dogs

Mokuba sings along with the rock music playing in his car. (Ashling and Tama were the ones to introduce him to it.) He tiredly scans the road ahead, watching out for people, pets, and objects that might be in the way.

Yawning loudly, Mokuba takes his eyes off the road for a second to glance at the clock. ‘Three in the evening… I hate jetlag.’ He thinks as he returns his attention back to the road. Mokuba lets out an explosive round of cursing when he sees a small dog run out in front of him and he immediately slams on the brakes. The small car screeches to a halt and Mokuba shakily turns it off and unbuckles his seatbelt before getting out of the car to make sure he didn’t actually hit the poor creature.

“Emma!” A young woman yells, dashing out into the road, her short dark brown hair flying out behind her. She gasps in relief when Mokuba pulls her Dachshund out from under his car unharmed.

Looking around, Mokuba notices her and gives her a small smile. “Is this your dog?” At her nod he walks over to her and hands the small animal to her. “I’m really sorry that I almost hit your dog. I’m afraid I wasn’t paying as close attention as I should have been.”

“It’s… fine.” She mumbles, stroking the top of the dogs head and then kissing it there. “Thank you for your concern.”

The two stand there in an awkward silence for a moment, neither of them sure what to say.

“Well, goodbye.” The girl finally says, turning to go back to her house.

“Wait!” Mokuba yells, which causes the girl to turn around and look at him with a slightly frustrated look on her face. “What’s your name?” He quickly asks.

“Rose. Rose Davis.” She replies after a moment. “And yours?”

“K- Mokuba Kaiba.” He responds, almost saying his last name first like he’s used to.

Rose inclines her head slightly. “Well, it was nice chatting with you, Mr. Kaiba, but I must be going now.” She turns and walks back to her house, pausing by the door to pat a two-year-old girl on the head before shutting the door.

Mokuba goes back to his car, his mind reeling from what’s happened already. ‘She was pretty… but the kid, she has to be hers. So she’s most likely married…’ He sighs heavily. ‘Of all the shit to happen I just had to go and develop some crush on a girl who’s dog I ran over. Real brilliant, Mokuba.’

He opens his car door and gets back in, making sure to buckle up before starting the car.

/She wasn’t wearing a wedding ring, you know./ A sly voice speaks up in the back of his mind.

‘Then maybe she’s engaged.’ Mokuba tells the voice as he turns down the volume on the radio.

The mysterious voice chuckles. /She wasn’t wearing a ring./

Mokuba puts the car into drive and glances around for anything else in the road. ‘Just who the hell are you anyway?’

/Me? I’m your conscience./

Mokuba groans. ‘So I’m talking to myself.’

/Well… yup!/

Wonderful.’ Mokuba thinks sarcastically as he presses down on the gas pedal. ‘After all these years of being around four ex-ancient spirits and their ex-hosts and having all sorts of weird things happen and now I go insane.’

All Mokuba gets in reply is laughter.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Suma and Amane awaken a few mornings later to the sound of someone knocking on their door. Well, Amane wakes up. Suma just kind of mumbles something and rolls over while tugging the covers over her head.

Yawning, the younger of the two slips out of her bed, her bare feet hitting the cold floor. Amane shivers and wraps her arms around herself as she shuffles over to the door. “Who’s there?” She asks before even thinking about unlocking the door.

“Soul Lark.” Comes the reply. “Open up, Amane.”

Amane sighs and unlocks the door and then opens it, revealing Seth standing on the other side with his backpack and sports bag. She immediately groans, knowing exactly what’s going on.

“Well, you guys did say that I was welcome to join you anytime and that you wouldn’t dream of ditching me.” Seth says, with a grin on his face. “I gave you guys the minimum three day waiting period before I took you up on the offer.”

Amane hides a yawn behind a hand and steps aside to allow Seth to come in. “Just don’t make too much noise. Suma’s still asleep.” She says warningly.

Seth flinches slightly, recalling the last time someone attempted to wake up the 16-year-old pyromaniac. He quietly steps into the room and Amane shuts the door behind him.

“We’ll figure out what to do with the bed situation later.” Amane says as she sits down on her bed. “For now, welcome to the Slifer Red girls dorm. Go ahead and make yourself at home.

Seth carefully sets down his bags instead of dropping them like he usually would and then sits down beside Amane. “So this is what the girl’s dorm is like, huh? It’s in better shape than the boy’s dorm. Much better shape.” He decides after looking around the room.

“The girls dorm was only added recently with the growing number of female duelists.” Amane tells him. She runs her fingers through her hair in a pre-brushing attempt to get rid of some forming tangles.

There’s silence in the room for a moment before Suma’s alarm clock hits seven o’clock and the alarm goes off, blaring some loud rap music.

Seth and Amane both clap their hands over their ears to drown out the Ra-forsaken noise. They don’t have to endure it for too long since before the song hit’s the third line of lyrics the alarm clock basically blows up with a less-than-satisfying ‘boom!’ and then emits sparks and smoke for some time after.

Suma groans and sits up, her tri-colored hair a bushy mess.

“Morning, Pyro.” Seth cheerfully greets, happy that the older girl stopped the noise. “Have a nice sleep?”

Suma glares in Seth’s direction, her brain not quite in working order yet. She attempts to get up, only to fall fight back down onto her bed.

Seth raises an eyebrow and looks to Amane for information. “Just how late did you guys stay up to have miss happy-go-lucky, hyperactive, pyromaniac completely sated this morning?”

Amane shrugs. “Don’t remember. And anyway, all I’ve got to do is make her a cup of coffee or strong tea and she’ll be back to her normal self.”

Seth sighs. “But I think I rather like her like this…” He mumbles, causing Amane to laugh.

“Don’t be silly, Soul-boy.” She says, humor in her voice. “We’d all go insane from sheer boredom if Suma wasn’t her normal somewhat hyperactive self.”

“Well, that’s true.” Seth agrees.

“Nnnng… coffee…” Suma mumbles, finally able to stand up. “Need coffee…”

Seth and Amane both sweat drop.

Suma blindly makes her way over to the small area that has been designated as a kitchen of sorts. The ‘kitchen’ is just a small tiled portion of the room in which there’s a small portion of counter, a sink, a mini-fridge, a microwave, and a small cupboard. Suma pulls a bottle of coffee from the mini-fridge and pours some of it into a cup she retrieves from the cupboard. Then she sticks it in the microwave to heat it up. While it’s heating up, Suma puts the bottle back in the mini-fridge and then leans against the wall and stares blankly off into space.

“Good morning, Suma!” Seth says cheerfully, deciding to attempt to annoy the oldest Lark.

Suma doesn’t even move or make a noise.

“Wonderful day, isn’t it? Just perfect for going out and causin’ some chaos!” He continues, trying to get a reaction- any reaction- from her.

Amane watches in amazement as Suma actually twitches slightly.

Seth grins. “I heard something from Liam who said Zahur told him that our beloved Seer has come up with an awesome plan to start our year here off with a ‘bang!’ I’m sure it’ll be in a quite literal sense.”

The microwave buzzes and Suma moves and takes out the coffee. After the first sip she sighs in relief and sits down at the small table located on the carpeted portion of the room, her eyes less clouded from sleepiness already. Suma quickly finishes her coffee and looks over at Amane and Seth, her amethyst eyes shining mischievously. “What’s this I hear about an awesome plan?”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“I can’t believe how late we are!” Jono pants as he runs through the hall with Ryan. “This is all your fault, Darkness!

“Not my fault!” Ryan replies, easily running alongside his roommate. He actually seems to be enjoying the adrenaline rush.

“Not your fault?!” Jono yells angrily. “You’re the one who banished the alarm clock to the Shadow Realm!”

“It was annoying me.” Ryan replies, a wicked grin on his face. “It’s an evil and annoying creation and therefore it had to go.”

“You’re insane!”

Ryan laughs a laugh that has borderline evil tones and then he speeds up and bursts into the classroom, still laughing.

This, of course, freaks everybody out since they’re in the middle of one of Professor Banner’s lectures.

“Ah, misters Ishtar and Wheeler. How kind of you to join us. Please, take a seat with your classmates.” Professor Banner says as a random graduated cylinder on his desk explodes.

Ryan cackles evilly, Jono collapses in a tired heap, Chizu giggles, and the rest of the Larks sigh heavily.

It’s obviously going to be a long day.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

‘I can’t believe we’re running so late!’ Chizu screams in her mind. ‘And to Crowler’s class no less!’ She glances over at Liam and Amane, ho had both been helping her with the first part of her ingenious plan.

Liam laughs. “Man! This is the most excitement that I’ve had in a long time!” He exclaims. A wide grin is on his face and his lilac eyes are shining happily.

“Sure is!” Amane agrees with a laugh.

Chizu stares at her two friends in disbelief. “Are all of you partial Egyptians going insane today, or what? Ryan was worse than usual this morning with his random cackling and evil laughter breakouts, and that’s saying something. What’s going on?”

“There’s a storm coming!” Liam says happily. “I love thunderstorms!”

Amane has to hold back laughter at the frustrated look on the raven haired girl’s face. “It’s all in the weather, Chizu. It affects us all differently according to our element.”

“Then what’s your excuse?” Chizu asks.

Amane just smiles mysteriously. “Now that’s a secret.”

The three round a corner and a Amane smacks right into something solid. She yelps and falls backwards and lands on her butt.

“You okay, Amane?” Liam questions as he and Chizu help up the shorter girl.

Amane just nods and then turns her attention to the tall, dark haired Obelisk Blue in front of them. “I’m sorry about running into you.” She apologizes, giving a short but polite bow. “My friends and I are running a little late so we were running and not watching where we were going.”

Zane observes the three younger teens in front of him. ‘Interesting… a Slifer, a Ra, and an Obelisk hanging out without conflict.’

A shy, light blue haired, 14-year-old girl peers out from behind Zane, her cerulean blue eyes curiously studying the other three.

“I would hurry if I were you.” Zane tells them. “If you’re too late then Crowler won’t even let you in.”

“Thanks, umm…” Amane falters when she realizes she doesn’t even know his name.

“Zane.” He supplies.

Amane smiles brightly while Liam tugs on her arm in an attempt to get her to move.

“I’m Amane Bakura and this is my friend Chizu K- Shirozaki and my cousin Liam Ishtar.” She says as Chizu joins Liam in dragging her down the hall toward the classroom. “Thanks and bye!” She calls before turning around and taking off running again.

Chizu and Liam both stumble and then run after her.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Later that day at the Slifer Red boys dorm.

“Jaden! Chumley!” Syrus yells, running into their room.

Jaden looks up from his almost-nearly-forgotten homework, deciding that whatever distraction Syrus has brought will be much more exciting than any homework assignment. “What’s up, Sy?” He asks.

“There’s a duel going on at the main building between Chazz and one of the new Slifer girls!” Syrus tells him.

“When’d this happen?” Jaden asks, already standing up, his homework completely forgotten.

“Just a few minutes ago.” Syrus replies. “Chazz said something about her just pretending that her last name is ‘Muto’ and she got really angry about it.”

“Well what are we waiting for?!” Jaden exclaims. “I’ve got to see this duel!”

Syrus barely has time to step to the side before Jaden runs past him. He sighs and begins chasing after him. “Jaden, wait up!”

-D-U-E-L-I-S-T-S--O-F--T-H-E--E-L-E-M-E-N-T-A-L-- S-P-I-R-I-T-S--D-U-E-L-I-S-T-S-

Shiro: Arrrggg! I can't believe how long it's taken me just to get this typed up! (bangs head on desk) Owiee...

Bast: There, there, hikari. You'll have time to get another one typed up this weekend. Don't worry.

Shiro: But the relatives are coming! When will I have time?!

Kaze: (rolls eyes) You'll find the time just like you always do.

Shiro: (sighs) Yes, that's so true. Any way, I'm sorry about how long it took me to get this typed up. My brain hasn't been able to concentrate on anything not Anime related all day, so maybe that's why I was able to get this typed up. So, I hope you all enjoyed it. The next chapter should be up really, really soon.

Keitaro: Any ideas for pranks are highly appreciated, although I'm sure that Shiro, Bast, and I can come up with a few clever ones. Credit will be given for any borrowed ideas.