Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Duelists of the Elemental Spirits ❯ Chapter 4: Cats and Dogs ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Suma Muto- Yami/Yugi
Amane Bakura- Ryou/Tama
Yasu and Ammon Khalid- Bakura/Yume
Zahur and Liam, Ophelia, and Salim Ishtar- Malik/Ashling
Ryan Ishtar- Mariku/Holly
Chizu Kaiba- Seto/Serenity
Jono, Maiko, and Seth and Kevin Wheeler- Joey/Mai

Shiro: Apparently the chart has decided to stay, so who am I to argue with it?

Disclaimer: I still don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. You'd think you all would have learned that by now. Oh, I also don't own Yu-Gi-Oh!GX. I do own all OC's in this fanfiction.

-D-U-E-L-I-S-T-S--O-F--T-H-E--E-L-E-M-E-N-T-A-L- -S-P-I-R-I-T-S--D-U-E-L-I-S-T-S-

Chapter 4: Cats and Dogs

-Ding dong!-

Ophelia (1) looks up from her Algebra homework when she hears the doorbell ring. Across from her is Salim, who is working on his Science homework.

“Ophelia, can you please get the door?!” Ashling yells from the kitchen where she’s attempting to cook a new dish for lunch.

With a sigh the sandy-blonde haired girl gets up from her seat and walks over and opens the door before the person on the other side has a chance to ring the doorbell again. Her face breaks out into a bright smile when she sees who it is.

“Aunt Mai!” Salim exclaims hopping up from the table. “Hi Maiko! Hi Kevin!” He greets.

Ophelia stands aside and opens the door wider. “Come on in. Momma’s in the kitchen.”

Mai smiles. “Thanks, Ophelia. Kevin, how about you play with Ophelia and Salim while Maiko and I go talk to Ashling.”

Kevin and Ophelia exchange glances and then Ophelia makes a quick hand sign. Kevin nods in understanding, as does Salim, and then the three race back to Ophelia’s room and shut the door.

Mai and her only daughter make their way to the kitchen where they find Ashling has opened a small portal to the Shadow Realm and is using it to vacuum up flames from the stove where a pan of charred, unidentifiable something is on fire and is smoking.

“I thought you gave up on cooking things that take a long time. Heck, I thought you gave up on cooking period.” Mai comments, amusement laced throughout her voice.

Maiko stifles a giggle at the look on her “aunt’s” face.

Ashling waves her hand violently and the rest of the flames disappear into the Shadow Realm. With another wave of her hand the portal disappears. The pan continues to smoke.

“So,” Ashling starts, slightly out of breath. “how was your trip?” She asks, already knowing the answer.

“Uneventful.” Mai replies. “Neither Kevin nor Maiko could even find a hint of Shadow Magic. There was also no markings that we could find. So, how have things been here?”

“The same as always.” Ashling tells her. “Yugi and Tama found traces of Shadow Magic at Duel Academy though.”

This catches both Mai and Maiko’s attention.

“Really?” Mai asks. “How’d that investigation go?”

Ashling shrugs. “I have no idea how it’s going. Tama and Mokuba arranged for Liam, Zahur, Ryan, Ammon, Yasu, Suma, Amane, Chizu, Seth, and Jono to go to the academy to check it out.”

“What!?” The two violet-eyed females exclaim, albeit for different reasons.

“That’s completely unfair!” Maiko continues. “I’ve been dying to go there ever since I heard of it when I was five!”

“Who says you can’t go?” Ashling wisely asks her, causing some of Maiko’s anger to vanish. “And when you get there make sure you yell at them and cause a bit scene to embarrass them.” She says with a wink.

Maiko laughs. “Thank, Aunt Ash. I will. Mom, can I go home and pack up my stuff?”

Mai nods. “Go ahead.”

“It was nice to see you again, Aunt Ash.” Maiko says, giving a quick bow before rushing off to go home, which just happens to be right down the road.

“Was it really wise to send Ryan there?” Mai asks after a few minutes, during which Ashling empties the contents of the pan into the garbage can.

“They need the cover of darkness.” Ashling replies vaguely.

Mai sighs. “It was your idea, wasn’t it?” She says, not truly meaning it to be a question. “Ammon is with them and he can easily provide cover with the shadows. You’re not plotting anything, are you?”

Ashling laughs. “Now, what gives you that idea?”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Mokuba boredly sits in the chair in his small temporary office. He’s currently balancing a pencil on his nose. A knock sounds at the door and he mumbles, “come in,” while being careful not to jar the pencil.

A young man with light brown hair and kind hazel eyes steps into the office and stops short at the sight o his boss. “Uhh… Kaiba-san, what are you doing?”

Mokuba points to a large book on his desk that reads ‘Guinness Book of World Records 2025’.

The young man sweat drops. “So how long have you been attempting to break this record?”

Mokuba holds up five fingers and then begins signing ‘M-I-N-U-T-E-S’.

“Kaiba-san, forgive me for saying this but you are insane.” He says.

Mokuba finally sighs and the pencil falls off his nose and onto the floor with a clatter. “I’ve been aware of that for some time now, Frank-kun. And how many times must I tell you to call me by my first name. My brother is Kaiba-san, not me.”

Frank sighs. “…Mokuba-san.”

“Better.” Mokuba says, now grinning. “So, Frank-kun, what news do you have for me this wonderful afternoon?”

“Actually, I have information on that girl.” Frank says, opening the folder in his hands. “Her name is Rose Trinity Davis. Her parents recently passed away and so she now cares for her little sister Selene Davis, who is two-years-old. Miss Davis is twenty-seven years old and works at a childcare center. She also writes children’s books.”

Mokuba is silent for a moment while he processes this information. “wow… how’d you get information on her so quickly?”

“We have her on file.” Frank replies. “The childcare center works together with an orphanage around here that Kaiba Corp donates money to. She actually goes to the orphanage on some weekends to give the kids cookies and read to them. I also know her since she’s my cousin. Sort of.” He gives Mokuba a rather hard look. “If I find out about you hurting her in any way, I will hurt you, ignoring the face that you’re my employer.”

“Permission to beat me up granted.” Mokuba says. “No one messes with family.”

Frank smiles in relief. “Thanks, K- Mokuba-san.”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“That was an awesome duel, Suma!” Ammon exclaims as he and the rest of the Larks walk away from the main building. “I never knew you had half of the magicians you played today!”

Suma laughs. “Yeah, I know. I kind of had to play them. Chazz is a good duelist, he just has bad people skills and he doesn’t have fun while he’s dueling. After all, the major part of dueling is having fun!”

“And while you all have been having fun here, I’ve been working hard at looking for tears in the barrier with my meager senses.” A feminine voice says.

Jono and Seth pale at the sound of the voice and slowly turn around to face who it is.

Standing behind them with a bag slung casually over her shoulder is Maiko Wheeler. Her long, wavy blonde hair is pulled up into a high ponytail and she’s wearing black Capri pants, a dark blue spaghetti strap shirt, and sneakers.

“Maiko!” Liam, Ryan, and Chizu exclaim.

Jono and Seth begin panicking as Maiko stalks toward them with a furious expression on her face. Both of the them yelp when she grabs them by their ears.

“How dare you come here without me! You know I’ve always wanted to come here and then as soon as I leave you two take the chance to come here! I ought to hang you by the ceiling by your feet!”

Maiko continues yelling at and threatening her brothers until her voice grows hoarse and faint. By that time the sun has begun to set so they all have to rush to their dorms. Maiko goes with Chizu, claiming to not want to look at her brothers for the rest of the day.

The next day they discover that Maiko has been put in the Obelisk Blue dorm with Chizu and will be helping them in their search for the rip in the barrier. Poor Seth and Jono.

-D-U-E-L-I-S-T-S--O-F--T-H-E--E-L-E-M-E-N-T-A-L--S-P-I -R-I-T-S--D-U-E-L-I-S-T-S-

(1) Well, nobody has even tried to guess where I got her name. If noone gets it by the time I post the next chapter, then I'll post the answer in the next chapter. The "question" was: Where did I get Ophelia's name from? Hint: It's from a movie. Hint 2: Cats.

0-0-0-0

Shiro: Well, I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed about how short this one turned out to be. The next one will make up for the shortness though, as it's 8 pages written. Expect it to be out this coming weekend or sometime next week.

Bast: That's the first time you've thought of something positive when you're going through chocolate deprivation! Go hikari!

Shiro: T-T Chocolate... need chocolate. (starts falling over)

Keitaro: (catches Shiro) My poor kitten... lets go find you some Necco candies to eat. I'm sure I can find some yellow ones for you. (carries Shiro off to the kitchen)

Bast and Kyle: (sweatdrop)

Bast: Well, that was rather random.

Kyle: Now they're going to ramsack my poor kitchen. And after I just organized everything too. (sighs) I'd better go get my cleaning supplies... (goes off to find his cleaning supplies)

Bast: Wait up! I'll help! (runs after Kyle)

NEXT CHAPTER- Chapter 5: Trip to Past