Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Duelists of the Elemental Spirits ❯ Chapter 5: Trip to Past ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Suma Muto- Yami/Yugi
Amane Bakura- Ryou/Tama
Yasu and Ammon Khalid- Bakura/Yume
Zahur and Liam, Ophelia, and Salim Ishtar- Malik/Ashling
Ryan Ishtar- Mariku/Holly
Chizu Kaiba- Seto/Serenity
Jono, Maiko, and Seth and Kevin Wheeler- Joey/Mai

Shiro: Apparently the chart has decided to stay, so who am I to argue with it?

Disclaimer: I still don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. You'd think you all would have learned that by now. Oh, I also don't own Yu-Gi-Oh!GX. I do own all OC's in this fanfiction.

-D-U-E-L-I-S-T-S--O-F--T-H-E--E-L-E-M-E-N-T-A-L- -S-P-I-R-I-T-S--D-U-E-L-I-S-T-S-

Chapter 5: Trip to Past

Chizu and Amane sit in Dr. Crowler’s office going through the school’s records while Liam, Ryan, Suma, and the triplets distract the blonde teacher.

“How goes the search?” Zahur questions the two girls as he steps into the room with Ammon and Yasu.

“Okay.” Chizu replies distractedly, her eyes not straying from the screen while Amane quickly scrolls through different documents. “Hey, check the one about the abandoned dorm.”

Amane obediently opens the document and the five are greeted by the sight of a picture of the dorm.

Ammon, Zahur, and Yasu crowd around the computer to read the text.

“It was once an Obelisk Blue dorm but was closed down due to the disappearance of a group of students.” Zahur reads. “It doesn’t have very much written about it through.”

“They have a list of names.” Amane comments, scrolling down. “Shall we print this and be on our way? As good as they are, the others won’t be able to distract Crowler for much longer.”

As if on cue the specially designed walkie talkie clipped onto Chizu’s belt rings out the ‘Lark Warning’ tone.

/Lark-Soul to Lark-Seer, do you read me?/ Seth’s voice drifts through it.

Chizu snaps the battery-powered communication device off her belt and replies with: “Lark-Seer to Lark-Soul, I read you loud and clear.”

/Crowler’s heading your way. Due to intercept in five minutes. Wrap it up and get out of there./

Amane quickly hit’s the print button and closes all of the documents and folders except for the one on the abandoned dorm. The printer works extremely fast and Yasu snatches the paper while Amane closes the document and begins erasing all traces of her being there.

/Three minutes!/

“Done.” Amane says, turning off the computer. “Tell Lark-Soul before he starts panicking.”

Yasu snorts. “Seth? Panic? As if.”

/GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE YOU IDIOTS!!!!/ Liam screams, static present from the loudness of his voice.

“Liam and panicking. Now that makes sense.” Yasu says.

The five of them then bolt from the room and take off down the hall. They get a little ways from the room when Chizu gasps and stops in her tracks, her blue eyes going blank.

Amane skids to a halt and gestures for Yasu, Ammon, and Zahur to go on. “But Ama-”

“Go!” The white-haired girl hisses.

Ammon tugs on his sister;s arm. “C’mon, guys. Amane can handle it.”

Amane waits until the three are gone before she grabs the walkie talkie. “Lark-Void to Lark-Darkness. Come in, Lark-Darkness.”

/Lark-Darkness here. What’s wrong, Lark-Void?/ Ryan asks.

“Lark-Seer is down and we need some cover or something. Larks- Rain, Shadow, and Leaf have gone ahead. I’ll throw out a tendril of SM, but you know that’s all I can do.”

/Locked onto Seer’s energy. It’s flaring badly./ Ryan tells her worriedly. /Don’t move./ He warns.

Amane remains still as a creeping darkness surrounds her and Chizu, hiding them from view. She closes her eyes and holds onto Chizu’s arm and braces herself for the familiar feeling of being pulled into the Shadow Realm. Something glows from around Chizu’s neck and something under Amane’s shirt glows. The two golden glows spread around the two girls, forming a sort of protective barrier.

The strange feeling returns as they sink back through the barrier between the Shadow Realm and the Normal Plane. The glow dies down and the sphere of darkness shatters with a small ‘BOOM!’.

Amane opens her eyes and, once they adjust to the light, can see Ryan, Liam, Suma, and Maiko standing in front of herself and Chizu.

“Have a nice trip?” Liam teases, knowing she hates the feeling of phasing through the barrier.

“Shut up.” Amane replies, remaining sitting until the feeling returns to her legs.

After she stands up, Chizu snaps out of her vision-mode and looks around in confusion.

“I haven’t been out of it for that long, have I?” She questions.

Maiko helps the raven-haired girl up while she replies. “Probably about five minutes going by the time Amane called Ryan.”

“So what’d you See?” Suma asks curiously, knowing the only time Chizu basically passes out with her eyes still open is when she was a vision.

Chizu frowns as she dusts off her uniform. “It was a bit of a blur, actually. Just a series of confusing pictures. I’m pretty sure it’s mainly got to do with this island.”

“Was there anything you recognized?” Maiko asks immediately.

Chizu shakes her head. “No. It’s really weird. Usually I get more to work with. It’s very vague this time…”

Everyone is silent for a moment, taken off guard by this information.

“So… what does this mean?” Maiko asks, peering around at her friends with worried violet eyes.

Suma sighs. “It means that something is interfering with the Items. Most likely it’ll be a particularly violet rip in the barrier. So there’s defiantly something here.”

Ryan nods, for once completely serious. “There’s a steady hum of darkness around here. Each day it’s call becomes stronger and stronger in it’s attempt to pull me or Ammon to it. It’s a large tear and the barrier continuously cried out to be healed.”

The others, even Maiko who doesn’t use their branch of Shadow Magic, shiver. The barrier is made of living energy, which makes it able to self heal in most cases. This makes it as alive as any duel monster or human in their respective plane.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“That settles it then.” Zahur says later when they regroup. “Ryan and Ammon need to go to the abandoned dorm to see if that’s where the rip is. Somebody else who can use Shadow Magic needs to go with them.”

“I’ll go!” Suma immediately volunteers. “This abandoned dorm looks really cool.”

Yasu gives Suma an unyielding hard look. “You are not to go into the building. You three are just going to confirm that the rip is at the dorm. With how long it’s been open it will most likely take all of us to close it.”

Ammon, Ryan, and Suma all look put out at this fact.

“We will be able to go in eventually, right?” Ammon asks in a pleading tone.

“Eventually.” Yasu agrees.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“I still don’t see anything!” Ryan loudly complains as he, Ammon, and Suma traipse through the woods in dark clothing.

Suma rolls her amethyst eyes and rolls up the sleeves on her long-sleeved shirt. “Ryan, we’ve only been walking for five minutes. The Ring could barely pick up on it’s presence before we got in the woods.”

“But that’s just because the rip in the barrier has been interfering with the Items.” Ammon says smartly. “And anyway, what does that have to do with not being able to see anything? It is dark out here. Can’t you make a fireball or something?”

“While we’re in the woods?” Suma asks in disbelief.

“Yeah.”

“Are you insane?!”

“Sorry, that’s Ryan’s department.”

“HEY!”

“You know, we’re lucky that our powers haven’t gone haywire yet.” Ammon says suddenly, changing the subject before an argument has the chance to start. “I mean, if it’s messing with the Items, what is it doing to our powers?”

The three falls silent while they think about this. Thinking about the rip being so large that it’s messing with the Millennium Items and could possibly make their rather destructive powers go haywire puts a damper on their good mood.

“There’s the dorm.” Ammon tonelessly says, pointing ahead at a large, dark, formidable shape.

The three of them walk up to the gate and then stop. Suma sets down the bag she’s been carrying and unzips it and pulls out two familiar objects. She hands the Scales to Ryan and puts the Puzzle around her neck. Meanwhile Ammon fishes around in his pocket until he locates a small golden sphere- the Eye.

The three stand together and each put one hand together while the other rests on their item. Then they close their eyes and send out their own Shadow Magic to check and see if the rip is here.

All at once the three’s eyes snap open and jerk their hands away as if burned.

“Damn.” Suma curses. “It’s worse than I thought.”

“I need to sit down…” Ammon says faintly. Then he collapses right on the spot.

Suma shakily reaches for her deck and draws three cards. “It’ll be okay, Ammon.” She tells him before looking at the three cards. “Alright… I call Dark Magician girl! I ask for the Pharaoh’s Magician! And I summon Kuriboh!”

The Millennium Puzzle glows and a small portal appears allowing the three creatures of the Shadow Realm through.

“Dark Magician Girl, I need you to go to the Obelisk Blue girls dorm and the boy’s dorm and tell Chizu and Zahur that the rip is here and we need to it sealed up really soon.” Suma says.

Dark Magician Girl nods and then flies off in the direction of the Obelisk Blue dorm. Suma turns her attention to Kuriboh.

“Kuriboh, can you go tell the same thing to Seth and Amane? They’re both in the Slifer Red girl’s dorm because Seth has been staying in our room due to overcrowding.”

Kuriboh trills happily and then floats quickly off toward the Slifer Red buildings.

“I think you know what to do.” Suma tells the Pharoah’s Magician, which looks an awful lot like her dad, Yugi. “Yasu and Maiko share a room at the Ra Yellow girls dorm and Liam and Jono are in the boy’s dorm.”

The Pharaoh’s Magician bows and then teleports himself to the Ra Yellow dorms in a shower of white sparks.

Suma now turns to her two “cousins” and raises an eyebrow when she sees Ryan poking Ammon. She sighs and rolls her eyes, since this is perfectly normal behavior for the spiky-brown and blonde haired boy. “Come on Ryan. Lets get Ammon to his room.” She says, stepping forward to help carry him.

“I’ve got him.” Ryan says cheerfully, easily lifting Ammon up onto his back. “Lead the way, oh-fearless-pyromaniacal-leader."

Suma smiles weakly. “Yay.”

Ryan nudges her to get her going and together they venture back through the woods to their respective dorms.

When they’re gone Alexis steps out from behind a tree, confusion written on her face.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“It was really weird.” Alexis tells Jaden, Syrus, Bastian, and Chazz. “I didn’t get a good look at what the girl had, but the other two had what looked like golden scales and some sort of golden ball. They started shining when they joined hands.”

“Wow…” Syrus murmurs.

“So what happened?” Jaden asks, obviously into the story.

“Not much happened, Jaden. The dark-haired boy collapsed and the other two looked distressed by something.” Alexis says. “The next part I have trouble believing though…” She looks up at the others who are listening in interest. “I swear the girl summoned three of her monsters and was talking to them, but she didn’t have a dueling disc or anything. She said something to each of them and then they ran off. Those three left after that,: She finishes summarizing.

“Did you hear anything they said?” Bastian questions. His mind is already working to try and figure this out logically.

Alexis thinks back. “I think the girl said something about a ‘shadow realm’.” Her hand goes toward her key that’s hanging around her neck. “You don’t think they’re those Shadow Riders that we were warned about, do you?”

“Perhaps we should talk to Professor Banner about this.” Bastian says logically. “He may know something about this ‘shadow realm’.”

“Or we could just question them.” Chazz comments. “Go straight to the source.”

Bastian frowns. “I wouldn’t suggest going that. We don’t know what they’re capable of. And anyway, you’ve already made the Muto girl angry.”

“What’s the worst they can do though?” Jaden asks. “Beat us in a duel?”

“Speak for yourself, Slifer-slacker.” Chazz responds. “Chazz Princeton doesn’t lose.”

The statement causes a small argument to break out which evolves into a duel between Chazz and Jaden during which the others go talk to Professor Banner.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“Now this is nice.” Tama comments, carrying a tray of assorted drinks out to the patio.

Outside the ex-hikari and ex-yami are relaxing in the comfortable chairs on the Bakura/Khalid patio.

Yume is sitting in Bakura’s lap at the table and Yami and Yugi are sharing a loveseat away from the table. Ryou is sitting at the table across from Mariku and Malik and an empty chair is between them.

“Lemonade for you two.” Tama says, handing Yami and Yugi their drinks. “Hot chocolate for Bakura and ice water for Yume,” She continues, setting the cups down at the table. “Soda for Marik and cool aid for Malik. And tea with lemon in it for Ryou and I.” Tama smiles and sits down beside Ryou. “Ra… it’s been a while since we got together. Just us, I mean. We should do it more often.”

“As long as Bakura doesn’t have writers block again.” Yume says teasingly. A smirk forms on her face. “You think he’s bad when he’s in a good mood then you’ve never seen in in a bad mood.”

Marik smirks. “Aww, the bid bad paper and pencil has the defeated the almighty Thief King Bakura? Poor- ACK!!!”

Fed up with the taunting, Bakura has thrown his mug of hot chocolate at his fellow ex-yami’s head. The spiky-haired man yelps loudly and falls out of his chair with a crash.

Tama, Ryou, Malik, Yami, and Yugi all sweat drop while Yume runs her fingers through Bakura’s hair soothingly.

“Anyway…” Tama takes her eyes off of the spot Marik once was. “What has everyone been up to lately?”

“We’re planning on expanding the game shop.” Yugi says, glancing worriedly at Marik’s moaning form. “We’ve been getting a lot more business lately and Damian suggested that we remodel while Suma is at Duelist Academy. Yami and I are going on vacation for some of the time it’s being fixed up and Duke’s volunteered his house as a place to stay. Did you know he has a younger sister who’s about Mokuba’s age?”

Tama nods. “Yeah. Her name’s Lisa.”

“We’ve also decided to have another kid!” Yugi chirps.

Yami choke’s on his lemonade and whips his head around to look at Yugi. “W-what!?” He sputters. “When did we decide this?!”

“Last night.”

“That’s cheating, aibou!”

“No it’s not. You should pay more attention to your surroundings is all. It’s not my fault you were too busy watching Survivor rather than listen to your cute, innocent hikari.”

Tama sighs and looks helplessly at Ryou and broadcasts her thought to him, Malik, and Yume. ‘So much for a change of topic.’

Malik and Ryou each crack a smile and Yume chuckles and whispers the “statement” to Bakura. Marik whimpers in pain while trying to get back up from his position on the ground.

Some things will never change.

-D-U-E-L-I-S-T-S--O-F--T-H-E--E-L-E-M-E-N-T-A-L--S-P -I-R-I-T-S--D-U-E-L-I-S-T-S-

The "contest":
Well, nobody has successfully guessed where I got Ophelia's name from so I'll go ahead and tell you all. I got the name Ophelia from the movie "Catwoman". It's the name of the "crazy cat lady" whose name in the movie was Ophelia Powers. She owned the cat Midnight.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Shiro: Well, this one turned out longer than the previous one, so I'm happy about that. I'm really sorry about the wait, I've been a little obsessed with Full Metal Alchemist lately and have been watching the episodes and movie on the computer, so I've been slacking on my stories quite a bit.

Bast: The good news is that she just finished one of her stories and is nearly finished with another one. That means she'll soon only have four she needs to keep up with. That should make things much easily, ne hikari?

Shiro: Yup! And now on a lighter note, may I introduce my newest "muse". He's someone that you all already know if you've read DOTSL and COTLE but he hasn't made an appearence in this story yet. Come on out here!

Damian: (skips out) Hello everyone! (waves)

Shiro: The only reason he's joined us is because he's like an annoying little bug that never leaves you alone. He keeps coming back no matter what plans I make, he just randomly appears.

Damian: (grins) You know you love me.

Shiro: No, sorry. I love Kei-kun.

Keitaro: (appears out of nowhere and hugs Shiro) Kitten!

Damian: (sighs) Damn. Well it was worth a try.

Kaze: Great... another idiot.