Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Everybody Hates Leon ❯ Reading ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 7

A/N: In this story, Leon's middle name is Michael. I should have put that in the story somewhere, but I forgot.

--------------------------------------------------

I was kept very busy over the next year. Leon was now a toddler and showing his mischievous streak for the first time. As soon as he could take a couple of steps, he was getting into everything. However, he would always stop if I told him to stop sternly enough.

Even with his new independence, Leon still preferred story time to anything else. All I had to use as a punishment was the threat, "I won't do reading if you keep on doing that!" That always made him stop doing whatever undesirable thing he was doing so quickly that it was funny.

Leon was never picky about what kind of book I read to him. Once I satisfied him for six hours straight by reading aloud from a dictionary. Needless to say, I never tried that again!

As well as reading to Leon, I helped Zigfried with his lessons. Zigfried wasn't exactly ready to read War and Peace, but at least he could keep up with his classmates well enough.

------------------------------------------------

I could only take all of this reading for so long. I had probably consumed a ton of cough drops over the past year. Also, Leon often didn't go to sleep until eleven pm because he wanted me to read more. After much deliberation, I decided that there was only one solution to the problem.

"Leon," I said, "You're going to have to learn how to read!"

As soon as I heard how that sounded, I felt really stupid. How could I teach a twenty-month-old baby how to read? I mean, any kid who is into decorating his highchair tray with oatmeal (I made my bold statement during breakfast) is obviously too young to learn how to read!

Leon, however, didn't see anything out of the ordinary about my remark. "OK, Mama," he answered nonchalantly.

"Leon, I've already told you I'm not your mama. I'm Melissa." I said. He was always forgetting. But really, who could blame him?

Leon returned to playing with his food as if he had forgotten that I had said anything.

I was half-hoping that he HAD forgotten. But apparently he had a better memory than I had thought. As soon as breakfast was done, Leon was ready to start learning. How did I know that? Let's just say that having Zigfried's old workbook dropped next to my feet was a pretty obvious clue!

-------------------------------------------

Le on learned how to read much faster than I could have ever imagined. In just three months, he could read well enough to keep himself entertained for quite some time.

Of course, I had to tell Frau von Schroeder about this. All she said was, "you must be imagining it. Everyone knows that babies don't have the capacity to learn like that!"

I was appalled. This was a new low even for her. Her son could be a bona fide genius and she was still ignoring him! I knew that Frau von Schroeder's mind could never be changed by any method, so I walked away.

However, I had not given up. This little episode had officially made me declare a silent war on Frau von Schroeder.