Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Everything You Want ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: For the longest time, I loved this song without knowing who sung it. Finally I found out and I've been able to look up the correct lyrics for it. I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh! or Everything You Want by Vertical Horizon.
 
Everything You Want
 
~Somewhere they're speaking
It's already coming in
Oh, and it's rising at the back of your mind
You never could get it
Unless you were fed it
Now you're here, and you don't know why~
 
(Bakura's POV)
The door opened and shut quickly, as to keep out the cold air. Ryou dropped his bag by the bureau, as always, hung up his keys, as always, and sat on the couch, as always. The only thing different was his expression. He wore a dissatisfied frown on his face. Seeing this unnerved me.
“Ryou, what's wrong? You don't look yourself,” I said to him, shifting closer.
He sighed and said, “Nothing's wrong… Ok, something is, but it's not important.”
“Not important? If it's about you then it's important to me,” I said back.
“Well, you'll think it's stupid. Everything they say to me hurts even though I try to ignore it. I just can't help but take it to heart,” Ryou said sadly.
“ `They'?” I asked.
“Everyone in my school. I'm the new kid, and I don't belong. I knew I should've just given up going to school all together…” Ryou trailed off.
“You've got it all wrong, Ryou Bunny. They're jealous that you get to have a clean start with no reputation to live up to. Well, unfortunately, they're not expecting you to be that tough. You look too girly for that,” I taunted.
“ `Kura!” Ryou shouted, on the brink of tears.
“I was just kidding. Don't cry, my bunny. Nothing should be bad enough to make someone as pure as you even shed a single tear. Tell me what these idiots look like and I'll take `em down for you,” I said, wrapping a comforting arm around him.
“No, you can't. You'd be thrown in jail,” Ryou said.
“I'd gladly be thrown in jail for you,” I said back.
“Thanks `Kura,” Ryou said and made to stand up.
“Hold it right there! There's something else that's on your mind. Speak now or I will resort to forms of torture,” I said.
Ryou froze and turned to look at me. His face was confused, as if wondering how I knew that there was another thing nagging at the back of his mind. He fell back against the cushion and a blush spread across his face.
“Crushing on someone?” I asked.
“W-well, yes, actually. H-he's really cute and sweet. His eyes are such a beautiful hazel and he's really tan. You'd like him; he's Egyptian,” Ryou stuttered out quickly.
“Egyptian, eh?” I said deviously, covering the hurt in my heart.
“No, you are not stealing him from me! I think I might actually have a chance with this one. But the problem is I can barely hold a normal conversation with him. Although, conversations with him are rarely normal. He's a complete perv,” Ryou said, blushing a little more at the last part.
“Well, if perverts turn you on, you should be head over heels in love with me,” I said, trying to hint to the oblivious one beside me.
“Well he's not as bad as you are. I don't' think that's humanly possible,” Ryou taunted.
“True, true. Well, my suggestion to you is to try to warm up to him as a friend at first, then corner him alone and make your move,” I said, letting my mind be free.
“What do you mean, `make your move'?” Ryou asked skeptically.
“Have sex with him, duh!” I said, as if it were that obvious.
“Bakura! You know I'd never do that!” Ryou shouted, blushing furiously.
“I know. You're too innocent for your own good. But seriously, try being friends first. You never know what might become of that,” I said, getting back on target.
“But what if he thinks I'm ugly or crazy or something?” Ryou asked nervously.
“He'd be blind and mental to think either, my bunny,” I answered truthfully.
“ `Kura, you give the best advice ever!” Ryou said happily.
He gave me a hug and then ran to his room to do his homework after grabbing his bag. I sat there, stunned momentarily. A tiny hint of pink came to my cheeks, but I coughed, trying to hide it from no one in particular.
~*~
“ `Kura! You'll never guess what happened today!” Ryou shouted, slamming the door behind him and tossing his bag wherever was most convenient.
“You're right; I won't,” I said, confused at his abnormal behavior.
“Well, somebody actually talked to me without something rude coming out of their mouth! And he introduced me to his other friends. Malik's one of his friends!” Ryou said enthusiastically.
“Malik?” I asked.
“The hot Egyptian,” Ryou answered.
“Ah, yes, the hot Egyptian. So you two hit it off?” I tried sounding interested, even though I truly wasn't.
“Well, we talked for a bit, but I made a complete fool of myself. I could barely get out a full sentence,” Ryou said ashamedly.
“What about the other ones? Why did they suddenly decide to talk to you after 4 days of ignoring you?” I asked, curious as to their motives.
“Oh, I don't know. It is kind of strange. I mean, being popular is a privilege only given to a select few, and those select few give the privilege to a select other few, but somehow Yugi talking to me and introducing me to a few people made a lot of other students talk to me as well,” Ryou said in deep thought.
“Yugi?” I asked.
“The kid who first talked to me. He's rather short and his hair is quite discolored and oddly shaped. Though, my hair isn't exactly what you'd call normal,” Ryou rambled.
 
~But under skinned knees and the skid marks
Pass the places where you used to learn
You howl and listen, listen and wait for
The echoes of angels who won't return
 
He's everything you want
He's everything you need
He's everything inside of you that you wish you could be
He says all the right things at exactly the right time
But he means nothing to you and you don't know why~
 
I sighed as Ryou went on and on about there being no true definition of “normal” and several other things I didn't catch since I had tuned him out after finding out who Yugi was. I sat back on the couch and put my hands behind my head. After a few minutes had passed, I noticed that Ryou was no longer talking, but sniffing and wiping his eye.
“I was listening, I swear! I wasn't tuning you out `cause I hate you and think you have nothing good to say!” I said defensively.
“N-no, that's not it. T-talking about b-being normal and its d-definition reminded me of when Amane and I w-would talk together when M-mom and Dad were having a r-row,” Ryou stuttered out through his tears.
“It's ok, Ryou Bunny. I know you've tried so hard to forget what happened. They're in a better place now, and they wouldn't want to look down and see you crying over them. They want you to be happy and live life normally,” I said.
I stood and wrapped my arms around the shaking boy, who continued to cry. I rubbed my hand soothingly on his back to try to calm him down, and, slowly but surely, it worked. His arms hung limply at his sides and his head rested on my shoulder, getting my jacket wet. I didn't mind, not as long as I could hold him like this.
“Bakura, you know you don't have to put up with me when I get like this,” Ryou said.
“Why would you say something like that, bunny? I care about you. I would never leave you to cry all alone. No one deserves that,” I said, holding him at arms length so I could see him.
He sniffed again and smiled awkwardly, looking me in the eyes. I smiled back at him before hugging him again. He let himself rest on me once again and we stood like that for an eternity's time. If only we could stay like this for eternity…
 
~You're waiting for someone to put you together
You're waiting for someone to push you away
There's always another willing to discover
There's always something more you wish he'd say
 
He's everything you want
He's everything you need
He's everything inside of you that you wish you could be
He says all the right things at exactly the right time
But he means nothing to you and you don't know why~
 
“I just don't know what to do about Malik though,” Ryou said, completely shattering the moment.
“I told you what you should do,” I said and let go of him.
“Well, I'm friends with him, but I just can't tell him what I want. You know that my mind works in odd ways. I want someone to be my knight in shining armor, but I can't say that I'd be ok with being so… close. It would be a first for me and I don't know what to expect,” Ryou said pathetically.
“Well, if he turns you down, there are plenty of other men out there. I actually know someone who would gladly be your boyfriend,” I said, trying to hint once again.
“Really? But they've never met me!” Ryou said.
“Yes, actually, they have,” I said, nodding.
“Could you introduce me to them again? Well, that is, if all doesn't go well with Malik,” Ryou said, quickly adding the last part.
“Of course. I'll set you up on a date the minute you walk in here saying Malik doesn't like you,” I said, sighing at Ryou's obliviousness.
“You sound pretty eager for Malik to turn me down,” Ryou said, pouting.
“Well, he's a great guy. He knows what should be said and when it should be said. He's Egyptian, just like Malik and me. He's everything you've told me that you look for in a man. He's a lot more outgoing than you, so he'd be able to help you do things you never thought you could do before. Also, he's head-over-heels in love with you. You're all he ever talks about,” I said, tallying off on my fingers as I went.
“He sounds perfect. I wonder if I should even go for Malik if I know I have this guy waiting for me,” Ryou said deviously.
~*~
~But you'll just sit tight
And watch it unwind
Yeah, show me what you're asking for
And you'll be just fine
With all of this time
Yeah, show me what you're waiting for~
 
Ryou sighed once again as he walked in the door and did his afternoon routine. Three weeks had passed and nothing had happened. He hadn't said anything to Malik and certainly nothing to me about my “mystery lover” for him. He did rave about Malik everyday, though.
“It's eating away at me, `Kura,” Ryou said.
“What is? Your stomach acid? I told you this would happen eventually,” I said, referring to his poor eating habits.
“No, stupid! My stomach is just fine. But my feelings for Malik are eating away at me. I know it's not the right time yet, but I can't help just wanting to blurt it out,” Ryou said, frustrated.
“Calm down, bunny! You have to give the friendship time before you jump into anything else. Three weeks is barely enough time to get to know someone,” I reasoned.
“I know, and that's what the problem is! I've never done this before, and it's painful to just sit and watch until `the time is right'! I don't even know when that is!” Ryou shouted.
“No one ever said love wasn't painful. And besides, Ryou, you have a whole two years of school ahead of you. It's not like you'll never see him again after this one. Let things work out at the pace that was meant to be. Don't rush or a catastrophe is bound to happen,” I offered.
“I wish love didn't have to be painful. Why should something meant to bring such amazing joy bring such horrible pain in reality? It doesn't seem fair to me. It's like someone up there is laughing at my misfortune,” Ryou said, pointing to the sky.
“Someone up there is always laughing at all of our misfortunes. Why do you think there are such things as misfortunes? So someone up there can have fun watching them wreak havoc on our lives,” I said sarcastically.
“You're not very nice, you know,” Ryou complained.
“That's not what you said three weeks ago. Then I was the best at giving advice. What happened to change that?” I asked him playfully.
“Oh, come off it,” he said and stormed away.
~Out of the island
Into the highway
Pass the places where you might have turned
You never did notice that you still hide away
The anger of angels who won't return~
 
“Ryou Bunny, I didn't meant to make you mad,” I said, following after him.
I found him in his room, lying on his bed. His face was buried in a pillow to stifle his crying, but the efforts were to no avail. I sat on the edge and put a hand on his shoulder. He turned his head to the side I wasn't on, as if to hide his tears from me, even though they had subsided.
“I'm sorry for my mood swings. They've been happening a lot lately. You're helping me learn that no man is an island, which is new for me. So many times I've just wanted to crawl away into a safe hiding spot. Also, I've been thinking about Mom and Amane a lot in recent days. So many things have reminded me of them,” Ryou said in a melancholy tone.
“Oh, I thought you were just PMSing,” I joked, which earned me a glare. “I was kidding, bunny. I know you feel like you're alone in the world and no body loves you, but you're wrong. There are many people who care about you. I care about you. I love you, Ryou,” I said before catching myself.
“Wait… you “love” me…? As in “want to get together” love me? Or “just friends” love me?” Ryou asked, turning to face me with a confused expression.
 
~He's everything you want
He's everything you need
He's everything inside of you that you wish you could be
He says all the right things at exactly the right time
But he means nothing to you and you don't know why
 
I am everything you want
I am everything you need
I am everything inside of you that you wish you could be
I say all the right things at exactly the right time
But I mean nothing to you and I don't know why
Don't know why, why
Don't know~
 
“W-well, you know that guy I was telling you about? The one who's head-over-heels in love with you?” I asked nervously.
“That was you?” he asked.
I nodded, my cheeks flushed furiously. Ryou sat there, an odd expression on his face. I couldn't tell whether it was confused, sad, happy, or regretful. He sat up and faced me, taking my hands between his. They felt so warm and so soft…
“Bakura, I'm really sorry, but I don't think of you that way. I love you as a friend and as a guardian, but that alone,” Ryou said sternly.
“Why don't you love me? You even said that I sounded perfect for you! Why can't you give us a chance at being together?” I asked, now trying to stop my own tears.
“I just don't know. It would never feel right to me, and it would just be one sided. I'm really sorry, Bakura. This whole time you were telling me how to get the guy I love when I was the object of your affection. Why did you do that to yourself?” Ryou asked.
“I couldn't stand to see you sad, my bunny, so I tried to help you be happy. The look on your face when you'd dwell over your crushes would hurt me so much,” I answered truthfully.
“You didn't have to. Didn't it hurt you to see me like someone else?” Ryou asked, growing increasingly concerned.
“Of course I did. I'm your guardian, aren't I? And yes, it hurt, but no one ever said love wasn't painful, right?” I said with a teary smile.
~END~
Yey! I actually finished it! ^_^ I started this on a sheet of loose leaf, but lost it. So I started out all fresh and new and it worked! *does happy dance*
 
I've always wanted to do a Bakura-likes-Ryou-but-Ryou-likes-Malik fic. I was inspired to write by the amazing authoress Shut_Down_Angel and her story “Oh… Crap…” Good story. You should check it out. ^_^
 
Please review! You people are the best!