Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Exchange ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Now is not a good time to be having these thoughts. Yugi sighed despite himself, letting his gaze wander around the expansive nothingness of the place his mind went when Yami occupied his body. My mind! Yami? he thought tenatively, afraid that his mind link with the pharaoh had been sharing his thoughts. He got no response, so he assumed the link wasn't active. Which makes sense; Yami's focusing all of his thoughts on winning the duel. I shouldn't distract him. Yugi put his thoughts aside, turning his attention back to the duel at hand, and and caught the end of Rafael's lengthy statement.

". . . is called Exchange. It requires each player to choose a card from their opponent's hand. But, sice we each only have one card, we'll just switch." There was a smug smile on Rafael's face as he made his way around the dueling field, meeting Yami in the middle. He took Yami's card, muttered something about it not being of any use to the pharaoh anyway, and handed Yami his. He turned away, retaining the smirk as he returned to his place across the field.

"What is it that you find so amusing, Rafael?" Yam ihad yet to glance at the acard he'd been given, and when he did, he gasped. "The Seal of Orichalcos!"

Yugi's reacting matched the pharaoh's and he opened the mind link. /Yami! Whatever you do, don't play that card! It's evil!/

know, Yugi.
Yami looked at the card in his hand uncertainly, and his thoughts clouded the mind link, closed it off.

He frowned at Yami for a moment, and thought, He knows not to use it... I can't believe Rafael would try something so stupid--and insisting that Yami was an evil king! He's in for a real surprise when he loses this duel. Yugi sat, which still struck him as odd, being that he could look beneath him and see nothing but endless... nothing--empty space. Good thing I'm not afraid of heights, he thought, and laughed a little to himself.

Yugi tried to keep his attention on watching the duel, but his gaze kept drifting back to Yami, along with his thoughts. Ugh, this can wait! I can talk to him anytime; right now we have to worry about getting Mai back. He doesn't have time to deal with me saying--No! Mai! Duel! Immensely frustrated with himself, Yugi let out a little sound of disgust, stood and began pacing. Only half listening to Rafael's ranting, a few words suddenly caught his attention--"Play it, Pharaoh." And then:

"I know what your dark heart wants; the Orichalcos knows. Play the card, it's the only way you can free Timaeus."

Yugi's heart raced as he watched Yami consider the cards in his hand, looking at each in turn, then returning to the Seal of Orichalcos. He tried using the mind link, but only recieved fragments of Yami's thoughts: . . . going to lose. . . free Timaeus. . . play the Seal of. . . only choice. . . He watched in shock as Yami pulled the card from his hand. It was all Yugi could do to only halfway materialize beside the pharaoh; he was not yet able to walk freely outside his body like Yami was. With his effort, he still only appeared as just a ghost of himself, latching onto Yami's arm.

"No, Yami, don't do it! That card is evil!"

Yami looked at the boy, almost glaring at him. "Yugi, stop. If I don't play this card, we'll lose." He jerked his arm away, holding up the card, and Yugi watched in utter disbelief.

"Now I activate the Seal of Orichalcos! All of its ancient powers are on my side this time, Rafael." He slid the card into its place on his duel disk.

"No!" Yugi shouted, forced back into the void by the seal. He stumbled back and fell to the ground, unconscious.

The light of the Orichalcos enveloped Yami, surrounding him in a dark aura. It spread out to cover the field, emblazoned it with the glowing seal. Yami closed his eyes, feeling the dark power growing within himself, becoming a part of him and pushing thoughts of Yugi from his mind. When he opened them again, the symbol of the Orichalcos appeared on his forhead, and there was a sinister tint to his crimson eyes.



When Yugi awaoke his head was pounding with a terrible headache. He sat up quickly, and nearly blacked out again from the wave of dizziness that swept over him. After a few moments, he stood slowly, rubbing his eyes. He saw the Seal on the field and suddenly remembered what had happened. He tried the mind link, but only achieved more of a headache than before. Yami... what have you done?

Yugi watchced as Rafael summoned Guardian Eatos to the field, equipping it with Celestial Sword. He couldn't make out their words, but he saw his monsters return to the field from the graveyard, and Yami looking up at them, his eyes pleading. This broke the Orichalcos's hold on Yami, and Yugi could again hear what he was saying.

". . . forgive me for what I've done to you!"

"Say goodbye to your soul, Pharaoh. Eatos, destroy his monsters and the rest of his life points!"

Yugi looked on in horror as his momnsters were annihilated, and he knew that Yami had lost the duel. He tried to speak to Yami through the link, but was unable to. What are we going to do? Now the Seal will take Yami's soul! Yugi was nearly in tears as hea watched the seal shrink to center on Yami. Frantically, he thought, I can't lose him! I can't do this without you, Yami! I can't! The seconds that passed felt like an eternity to Yugi, until he realized what he had to do. There's no other way, I have to... This is the only choice I have to save him. Yugi took a shaky breath and lifted his necklace, taking the Millenium item in his hands.

"With all the power of the Millineum Puzzle, I break the seal!"

He steeled himself, appearing again beside Yami and pushing him out of the circle. This is what I have to do, he repeated the thought like a mantra in his mind, trying to keep his fear at bay. What will happen to me? Will I ever seen him again?

"Yugi! What are you doing here?" Yami faced him, crimson eyes wide with fear.

"The Orichalcos only needs one of us, so I'm letting it take me instead." This is what I have to do. This is what I--he was interrupted mid-thought as a sharp pain shot through him. He felt himself being lifted slowly off the ground, drawn up with the light of the seal. He looked at his hands, which were steadily fading away. Tears sprang into his eyes, burning with his anger and overwhelming fear, and he squeezed his eyes shut to keep them from falling. At least he'll be safe...

He was already far above Yami, and he used the last of his strength to forced the mind link open. /I'm sorry, Yami... I never got to tell you... to say... how much you mean to me.../ He could barely form the thoughts, unable to say the one thing that had occupied his mind for weeks, months on end. The link broke as his body faded away completely, and the light was gone. This time it was Yami who fell to the ground, lying unconscious at Rafael's feet.
Converting /tmp/phpPNTQ5x to /dev/stdout