Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Family Bonds ❯ Chapter 9: A Surprise Visit ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yugioh, however I do own all of the Original Characters except for three and they belong to my friend. (They'll be mentioned later)

-F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A- M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S-

Chapter 9

October 30, 1999 (Weekend following Seto’s birthday)

“Happy Birthday, Seto!” Malik, Tama, Kiba, Mokuba, and Kojiro shout when the brunette finally comes downstairs.

“You got a card from Damian-kun!” Tama says, sliding off of the counter and rushing over to her brother. “It said to open it at nine o’clock and it’s ten after nine. I hope that won’t affect anything badly.”

Seto takes the envelope and opens it and pulls out the card. On the front is a picture of puppy-Damian floating because of numerous helium balloons he’s holding. Above the balloons in bright blue is the word, “Surprise” in all capital letters and with several exclamation points after it.

Seto opens the card and looks in surprise at the words written. He hands it to Tama asking, “Am I reading this correctly?”

Tama takes the card and reads the words aloud. “‘Now open the door, it’s cold out here!’”

Everyone takes a minute to comprehend what the card says and then Tama and Mokuba race to the front door with Seto right behind them. Mokuba throws open the front door.

“Damian!” A blur of red, black, and gold rushes past Mokuba to tackle-glomp the purple haired boy standing at the door.

“Ryuu-no-otaku!” (1) Damian happily exclaims, catching Tama with a hug before she falls over. “Konnichiwa!” (2) He gives her a kiss on the cheek in joy.

Kojiro and Kiba soon join the group at the door while Malik shyly peers around the corner.

Damian extracts himself from Tama’s hug and grins at his old friends. “Ohayo, minna-san.” (3)

“English please, Damian-kun.” Kojiro says.

“Hello to you too.” Damian says jokingly, completely relaxed around his best friends’ dad. “Happy birthday, Seto-kun.” He says to the brunette before tossing a poorly wrapped gift to him. “Sorry about being late.”

“It’s fine. We’re celebrating today.” Kojiro says, chuckling when Tama sneaks up on Damian from behind and jumps on his back. “Come on in, if you can walk with the monkey on your back.”

Tama sticks her tongue out at her dad. “I’m not heavy! And I’m not a monkey!” She exclaims.

Damian makes a comment on how Tama looks like a monkey as he walks inside the house. Malik ducks around the corner as soon as the boy steps into the house while Tama half-heartedly hits him on the shoulder.

Meanwhile, Seto unwraps his present from Damian to find a Blue-Eyes White Dragon plushy. His eyes widen for a moment and then he hugs the plushy to his chest.

“What are you doing here anyway, Damian-kun?” Mokuba asks, giving up on trying to get Tama off of the purple haired boy’s back.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Damian asks. “I’m here to wish Seto-kun a happy birthday by tying myself up in ribbons and singing to him all day long!”

The others sweat drop.

“I’m just joking.” Damian tells them. “I’m here to wish Seto a happy birthday and hang out for the day and night. As for how I got here… I flew!”

Kiba raises an eyebrow. “Ah, yes. Obviously. Sprouted wings and flew, did you?”

“Nah, I took the less fun path and rode in a plane.” Damian replies. “You see, me and my otou-san are moving to America.”

Tama falls off of Damian’s back in surprise. “What!?” She exclaims. “But why?”

Damian shrugs. “Dunno. All I know is that I’m moving to Virginia to a little town that barely has anything.” He claps his hands together. “So what do you say we get this party started?”

“Party animal.” Tama teases.

“Enough with the animal jokes!” Seto exclaims before Damian has a chance to reply to that.

At this time Malik peeks around the corner and Damian catches sight of him. His mint green eyes light up.

“Who’s the cutie?” He asks.

“He’s our cousin, Malik Ishtar.” Mokuba says. “He’s really shy.”

“No teasing then?” Damian asks, slightly put out. “Darn. What about your new friend here? The white-haired one.”

“Ryou-kun has been grounded for a while.” Seto says. “You won’t be able to meet him.”

“And you wouldn’t tease him anyway!” Tama says defensively. “I wouldn’t let you!”

There’s an almost awkward silence for a moment while everyone looks a little surprised by Tama’s display of possessiveness. Kojiro decides to end the silence by calling Malik in.

“Malik, come on over here.” Kojiro calls. “He may not look it, but Damian’s harmless.”

Malik hesitantly walks into the hallway and over to the group. He stands partly behind Kojiro’s legs in an effort to hide himself. “Hello…” He says shyly.

Damian almost squeals, but controls himself so he doesn’t scare the blonde Egyptian away. Instead he bows politely. “It’s nice to meet you.” Then he goes back to his normal happy-go-lucky self. “So who’s ready to have some fun? I believe we have a birthday to celebrate!”

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Later that night Tama, Seto, Damian, Mokuba, Malik, and Kiba sneak over to the Bakura’s yard. Damian has come up with a plan to get Ryou out of the house without his dad noticing. The original plan involved duct tape, ‘Ding-dong-ditch’, glitter, a flashlight, and a rubber chicken. After some major re-planning, in which all but the rubber chicken and the flashlight are cut out, they come up with a much better plan.

“Be careful, Tama!” Mokuba whispers up to his sister.

Tama quickly glances down before climbing up onto the porch roof on the side of the house. She takes a moment to adjust to the sloe and then gives the boys two thumbs up. Then she crawls over to Ryou’s window and taps on the glass.

Inside, Ryou is sitting at his desk working on homework. He looks up when he hears the tapping and then hurries over to the window. He opens it and grabs Tama’s hands so she doesn’t fall backwards.

“Tama-chan, what are you doing here?” He asks. “My dad won’t be happy if he finds you over here.”

“We just wanted you to meet Damian-kun is all.” Tama says. “We’ve been really careful, so don’t worry.” She glances behind her and then looks back at Ryou. “Can the others come up?”

Ryou hesitates. “I don’t think this is a good idea, Tama-chan.”

“Please, Ryou-kun?” She pleads. “I really want you to meet Damian-kun.”

Like always when it comes to Tama and her begging, Ryou gives in. “Alright… but tell them they need to be really quiet! I don’t want anyone to get in trouble.”

Tama quickly nods. “Don’t worry, Ry-kun. They know.” While Ryou looks at her in surprise at his new nickname, Tama gestures for the others to come up and then turns back to Ryou. “Ry-kun, can we come in?” She asks.

“Uh huh.” Ryou murmurs, moving over so Tama can crawl through the window.

Soon everyone is in Ryou’s room and introductions are quietly being made.

“Ryou-kun, this is Damian-kun.” Mokuba says.

Damian smiles instead of grinning for once. “So this is your new friend I’ve heard so much about. Tama, he’s even cuter than you said!”

“No hugging.” Kiba says firmly, grabbing the back of Damian’s shirt. “And be quiet. Our goal here is to not get caught.”

“But-”

“Shh!” Ryou whispers suddenly. “My dad’s coming! You guys have to get out of here!”

“How? We can’t make it out the window in time!” Seto says.

“Hide!” Kiba hisses, jerking open Ryou’s closet. Luckily, nothing falls out and makes a racket. Kiba quickly shoves Damian in first and then jumps in himself. Discovering more room than he original thought, he pulls Seto in too and then closes the door.

Meanwhile, Mokuba crawls under Ryou’s bed and Tama hides beneath Ryou’s blankets. Ryou quickly goes back to his desk and picks up a pencil.

The door opens and Mr. Bakura steps into the room. “Ryou… I thought I heard voices.”

“I was talking to myself.” Ryou lies. “I’m sorry for disturbing you.”

Mr. Bakura frowns and looks around the room. “Go to bed, Ryou. It’s getting late.”

“Yes, father.” Ryou replies.

After looking around for a final time, Mr. Bakura leaves the room and goes back downstairs. Once the kids are sure he’s gone they crawl out of their hiding places.

“That was too close.” Kiba mutters. “Tama, Damian and Ryou have met so we’re going now.” He says seriously, dropping the suffixes for the first time. “I’m sure there will be other times where we’ll all be able to play together, but that time is not tonight. Tama, you go first. Then Seto, then Damian, then Malik, and then Mokuba. No ‘but’s’.”

“Sweet dreams, Ry-kun.” Tama says, hugging the white haired boy goodnight before climbing out the window. Right behind her is Seto, who also wishes Ryou goodnight before going out the window.

Damian bows. “It was nice meeting you. I wish we could have talked more so I could find out what crazy things Tama has done. She never tells me.”

“Because ‘nee-chan is smarter than that.” Mokuba says.

Damian inches toward the window when Kiba gives him a ‘hurry-up-or-I’ll-push-you-out-the-window’ look. “So… bye!” He quickly jumps out the window.

“Goodnight, Ryou-kun.” Malik says. Then he crawls out the window.

Mokuba bounces over to Ryou and hugs him tightly. “Goodnight, Ryou-kun. Don’t let the bed-bugs bite!” He laughs before leaving through the window as well.

“I’m sure you don’t need to hear it for the sixth time, but… sweet dreams, Ryou-kun.” Kiba says before he too crawls out the window.

“Oyasumi nasai, minna-san.” (4) Ryou murmurs.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

“Ry-kun’s not grounded anymore!” Tama happily shouts. She has been bouncing around the house for the entire morning while singing, giggling, and randomly shouting, “Ry-kun’s not grounded anymore!”.

To say she’s happy would be an understatement.

“Tama, we heard you the first ten billion times.” Kiba says. “Please, urusai!” (5)

“I can’t help it, aniki.” Tama says, hopping up onto a counter in the kitchen. “Ry-kun invited us all over for a sleepover tonight! We’re going to have so much fun!”

Kiba puts away the last of the cups that were in the dishwasher.

“Are you going to come too?” Tama asks eagerly.

“Otou-san needs my help with some stuff.” Kiba replies. “Maybe next time, imoutou.”

“Oh… okay.” She seems rather disappointed by her older brother’s reply. “I’m going to go see if Seto, Mokuba, and Malik-kun are ready to go.” Tama hops off the counter and runs off to find her two younger brothers and older cousin.

Kiba sighs heavily and leans against a different counter. ‘I feel bad now… we don’t spend too much time together anymore apart from dad’s lessons. Maybe dad can drive us out somewhere and we can hang out for the day. I’ll do the same for Malik, Mokuba, and Seto.’ His lips curve upward into a soft smile. ‘I think they’d like that.’

With that thought in mind, Kiba goes off to find his dad.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Mr. Bakura watches his son play with the neighbor children, his gaze lingering on the single girl of the group. His frown deepens with each of Tama’s actions. From what he has seen and gathered, Tama is altogether too loud, clumsy, tom-boyish, and somewhat rash.

He has no problems at all with her brothers and cousin. Just Tama.

He thinks of his beautiful wife and daughter and how graceful, quiet, and polite they were. In his eyes they were perfectly feminine.

For now there’s nothing he can do about his son’s friend and no reason to overreact. He believes it’s just a matter of time before the two drift apart from one another, but anyone else can easily see that they’ll be friends for a long time.

-F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M-I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S--F-A-M -I-L-Y--B-O-N-D-S-

(1) Ryuu-no-otaku; I believe it translates to dragon fanatic or fanatic of dragons.

(2) Konnichiwa; I hope everyone knows this one... It's 'Hello'.

(3) Ohayo, minna-san; 'Good morning, everyone.'

(4) Oyasumi nasai, minna-san; 'Good night, everyone.'

(5) Urusai; 'Shut up.'

0-0-0-0

Shiro: Wow, lots of Japanese words this time. I hope they're all correct... Anyway, Damian had better be happy that he got some time in here.

Damian: I am! Very happy! (glomps Shiro) Thank you!

Shiro: Yeah, yeah. I had to put you back in there sometime. Although why on Seto's birthday, I don't remember... probably just one of those random idea's that popped into my head. Now get off.

Damian: (grins) No way! I'm gonna hug you forever and ever!

Shiro: BAST! HELP ME!

NEXT TIME: Moving, a birthday, strange items, and a vision.