Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Fear Not The Guardian ❯ Strange Happenings ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6 - Strange Happenings

The next day, Bel um Fal met Téana as she was walking out in the gardens with Lady Mai, who had become friends with her. They stood under a large tree that provided shade from the burning sun, and exchanged pleasant conversation for a while. As Bel um Fal was about to leave for his daily meeting with his advisor, Priest Seto, he asked Téana a question that threw her off.

" It seems very strange that I have known you for two days yet still do not know your name."

Téana froze. She could not tell him her real name…

" My name is Anzu, my Pharaoh. Anzu Mazaki," she apologised.

Mai's eyes flicked towards her, but when Bel um Fal looked to her for confirmation, she nodded.

" Then, Anzu, I request your presence on the visit to my advisor's temple tomorrow. High Priest Seto has built a temple to all the major gods and goddesses, each with a separate shrine and priest or priestess. It is most beautiful."

Téana nodded, and smiled. " I would love to come."

Bel um Fal turned away. " Then you may meet Lady Mai and Prince Yugi tomorrow morning. Good day to you both." He smiled over his shoulder at them as he walked off, and then he was gone.

Mai turned on Téana. " I thought you said your name was Téana!"

" Shhh!" Téana warned her. " I wish for the Pharaoh to know me as Anzu Mazaki. It is a long story. Prince Yugi will tell you. I need to ask the others who know my true name to call me Anzu. Please, tell Prince Yugi when you see him."

Mai nodded. " Are you sure? Deceiving the Pharaoh is a punishable crime."

Téana sighed. " I cannot let him know who I am. It would be dangerous. If anyone else found out who I was, there could be deaths."

Mai backed away. " You wouldn't…"

" Not me, Mai, an organisation working against the Pharaoh. Please, we must tell the others. Prince Yugi will explain everything."

The day was warm, and Téana pulled on a light cotton robe, hoping that she would not get burnt. Rebecah watched her reproachfully.

" Why do I not get to come?"

Téana smiled. " You are too young. There are governesses here for you. Prince Yugi says you may also play with the children of the other courtiers."

" Yes, Té…"

" Anzu!"

" Yes, Anzu."

Téana put on a gold choker Lady Mai had given her, and a couple of bracelets and armlets. Then she turned round to face Becah. " What do you think, little sister?"

Becah smiled, delighted. " You look like a princess!"

Téana laughed and hugged Becah. " I will be back tonight. Have fun with the children, Becah."

" I will."

There was a knock at the door and Lady Mai looked round the doorjamb. " Ready?"

Téana nodded. " Goodbye, Becah." She kissed her younger sister on the cheek and joined Lady Mai.

Prince Yugi was waiting for them as they walked outside to the litters, and helped them into one. " There you go, Anzu," he said pointedly. Téana dipped her head slightly to let him knew she understood. " Thank you," she replied. Yugi smiled. " I understand."

The drapings fell together, and Téana and Mai had some privacy to talk, although the journey was rather bumpy, restricting conversation. At the end, Téana and Mai were glad to get out of the litter and stretch their cramped limbs. Bel um Fal walked towards them.

" We are here," he stated, indicating to the large temple standing in front of them. There were commoners and townspeople surrounding them, all bowing and watching in silence as the Pharaoh passed. He offered an arm to Téana. " Walk with me?" he asked. Téana blushed, but slid her arm through his, after some encouragement from Lady Mai. They walked past the townspeople, who cheered, and into the cool atmosphere of the temple.

" Welcome, my Pharaoh," High Priest Seto greeted them, bowing to Bel um Fal, " Lady Mai, Prince Yugi, and…"

" Lady Anzu," Bel um Fal supplied for him.

" Ah, Lady Anzu. I welcome you all to my temple."

Téana stared round as if in a trance. All over the walls and ceiling and floor there were depictions of myths and legends of various gods and goddesses, including the beginning of time. It was so beautiful it was breathtaking.

" You may visit the shrines to your individual gods and goddesses, if you wish." Lady Mai and Téana looked at each other, then at Bel um Fal, then nodded. Mai walked over to Hathor's shrine, and Téana moved towards Isis's shrine. A young black-haired priestess met her at the door.

" Lady Anzu?"

Téana nodded slowly. " Yes?"

" Please, follow me. There is something I must tell you." Téana followed the young girl into a back room, and the girl shut the door behind her.

" What do you wish to tell me?"

" The Pharaoh is in great danger. There is one, Priest Marik, who wishes to steal the Pharaoh's Millennium Puzzle."

" Why?"

" It contains great power, and combined with the other Millennium Items, it can be used to save the world…"

" Or?"

" Or destroy it. Marik, the priest of Set, already has the Millennium Rod, or Sceptre. Shadi, the Guardian of the Items is working as hard as he can to prevent Marik form taking the Puzzle, but he will fail eventually. You must warn the Pharaoh and encourage him to protect himself from any possible threat. Please, Lady Anzu, this will save his life and the world."

Téana stared at her for a long time. " If you are lying…"

" No, no! I swear to Isis that I am not. Please…" she turned away and scanned the room, as if searching for something, then picked up a necklace. " This will ensure protection of you. If you give it to the Pharaoh, it will protect him. You do not have to though, and I worry for your safety. You are quite close to him, and you may be in great danger too." She handed Téana the necklace, who slipped it over her head. The pendant was of Isis with her wings spread and arms outstretched.

" Thank you…"

" Priestess Hope. My friend, Priestess Kai, is telling Lady Mai the same thing. Please, believe us, Lady Anzu."

" I do. Thank you for your warning."

Hope bowed her head. " Thank you."

" I will go now. The sooner I go, the sooner I will be able to tell him."

" Goodbye and good luck."

Téana turned and walked back through the shrine room to the main `hall'. Lady Mai came out from Hathor's shrine exactly the same time, looking slightly pale. She shared a look with Téana and they both met Yugi and Bel um Fal at the entrance.

" That was very quick, ladies."

" The priestesses are very dutiful," Lady Mai replied. " We did not have to stay long."

" Then we shall return to the palace. Lady Anzu, I wish for you to ride in my litter on the journey back. There is something I wish to speak with you about."

Téana quickly glanced at Yugi, but he showed no flicker of recognition at what Bel um Fal wanted to talk about. He shrugged slightly, and made a `go on, then' motion.

The litter was warm compared to the coolness of the temple, and Téana retrieved a papyrus fan from the floor and fanned herself with it. There was silence for a little while, as the litter jolted then turned to a slow rhythm as the carriers started to walk.

" My Pharaoh, before you start, there is something I must tell you."

Bel um Fal nodded, allowing her to go on.

" When I was in the shrine, the priestess approached me and gave me a warning. The priest of Set, named Marik, is out to steal your Millennium Item."

" Lady Anzu, this is what I wished to talk to you about. High Priest Seto brought this to my attention while you and Lady Mai were in the shrines. I wanted to warn you that you might be in danger as well, being one of my entourage."

Téana suddenly remembered the necklace, and slipped it back over her head. " Please, take this. It will provide some protection."

Bel um Fal smiled and shook his head. " You may need more protection than me, Lady Anzu. It is just the Puzzle he wants, is it not?"

" Yes, but…"

" Then he will not try and kill me. He still respects the way the country is ruled. He wanted me to be Pharaoh. He is simply after power. He also knows the penalty if he is caught."

" Oh."

" Do not fear, Lady Anzu. I will make sure you; Prince Yugi and Lady Mai are protected. I will assign guards to escort you when I think you need it."

" Thank you, my Pharaoh."

He placed a hand on her arm, and she blushed again.

" I do not want to see you hurt."

She met his concerned gaze, and for a moment she thought he was going to kiss her. But there was another jolt as the litter was placed on the ground, and a voice from outside spoke. " We are here, your highness."

" Thank you," Bel um Fal said as he stepped out, and offered a hand to Téana. She accepted, and as they walked back to the palace entrance, his hand was in the small of her back to reassure her.

Becah was waiting in their chamber when Téana was back, and she threw herself onto her older sister.

" Anzu! You're back!"

" I was only gone a little while, Becah."

" I know, but it felt like a long time…I was worried you weren't coming back…"

Téana understood. Since their parents had died, Téana was the one Becah looked up to, and if she were not there, then Becah was lost and upset.

" I will try and convince the Pharaoh to let you come next time, Becah. But don't count on anything. He might not want you there."

" Was it pretty?"

" More than pretty, Becah. It was beautiful. The priestess in the shrine of Isis gave me this." She showed Becah her pendant.

" It's beautiful…"

" I know. It's to protect me."

" What from?"

" Anything."

Téana sat on the bed and Becah snuggled up to her, enthralled by her older sister's descriptions of the temple and the characters. It was soon dark, and Becah fell asleep in Téana's arms. Téana soon followed.