Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Fear Not The Guardian ❯ It's Time To Duel ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8 - It's Time To Duel

The duelling arena was a large chamber, with a throne on one side and platforms against the walls. The middle was completely clear. Servants in cloaks lined the walls, chanting. Seto and Bel um Fal took their places on the platforms, facing each other, and Kai, Hope, Yugi and Mai stood by the doorway of the chamber. The other man, whom Téana did not know stood by the throne, and Bel um Fal caught sight of her hesitating, unsure of what to do.

" Please, sit in the throne, Téana."

Blushing, she nodded, and sat down, all the time watching the strange man. There was something about him she didn't trust.

" This is Kobora," Bel um Fal told her. " He is the guardian of the monsters…and ultimately the shadow games." He shared a dark look with Seto, and Téana realised they did not approve of the shadow games.

" Make it short, my Pharaoh. I many things to attend to today."

" Very well. We will only have 2000 life points each."

Everything went silent for a moment, then at exactly the same time, Seto and Bel um Fal cried:

" It's time to duel!"

The chanting started up again, and Téana found herself wondering what would happen. She had never seen a game like this - the only duels she had ever fought were with Bel um Fal and Yugi as a child, and that was just drawings in the sand.

" Pharaohs first," Seto smirked, and Bel um Fal narrowed his eyes.

" Glad to see you still remember who is in charge here…" he replied. " Now, I call upon Red Eyes Black Dragon, and lay a tablet face down."

A large stone slid upwards out of the ground, and Téana could see a carving of a dragon on its face.

Seto thought for a moment.

" Very wise, my pharaoh. Now, I will call upon the Portrait's Secret."

Téana raised her eyebrows. From what Bel um Fal and Yugi had taught her, she knew that this was going to be a very short duel indeed.

" Attack his face down tablet!"

Bel um Fal laughed. " I was expecting that. Reveal face down tablet!" Another stone slid out of the ground. This time, it revealed a line of men. " Reinforcements, Seto. I believe that the effect takes place before it is destroyed?"

Seto made a noise that sounded very much like a growl.

" Now, my Red Eyes Black Dragon has an attack of 2700?"

As he spoke, the attack that Seto had commanded blasted the stone tablet into tiny pieces. Téana flinched. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Kobora grinning. Evilly.

Glancing at Seto, then back at Kobora, she suddenly knew that Kobora meant trouble. He reached into his robe and pulled out the Millennium Sceptre Hope had spoken to her about. He aimed it at the tablet in front of Seto, and Téana knew what she had to do. Yelling, " Seto!" she dived for him and managed to knock him to the ground just before a beam of light from the sceptre hit the tablet in front of him and caused it to explode. Kobora turned the sceptre on someone at the entrance to the chamber - Téana couldn't see who - but was seized by two guards.

Suddenly, there was chaos. Servants ran everywhere, trying to get out of the chamber. Yugi, Mai and Bel um Fal helped Téana and Seto up, and Kai and Hope pulled the sceptre from Kobora's grasp.

" You're working for Marik!" Hope accused him. He bowed his head, a steely glint in his eye.

" Very observant," he hissed.

" I saw you speaking to him." She turned away, disgusted.

" Are you all right?" Bel um Fal asked, holding Téana close to him.

She smiled and nodded.

" I'm fine, my pharaoh."

Seto brushed himself down. " Thank you, Lady Anzu." His face lost its stone-like expression for a moment, and Téana thought she could see a hint of modesty. " I owe you my life. I am in debt to you." He made a sweeping bow, and swept out of the room, but Téana knew he was in shock.

Kobora was wrestled out of the room, spitting at everyone. " I will get vengeance!" he cried.

Bel um Fal ordered his execution, but only after he had silently asked Téana's permission. She had nodded, sure this time that he was not innocent in any way.

2 years later

Queen Téana glanced at Pharaoh Bel um Fal, and noticed her husband was smiling at her.

" What?" she asked. He shook his head.

" You look beautiful when you're concentrating," he told her.

She shook her head at him, then drew something in the sand. " You're just trying to put me off."

" No I'm not!" he feigned innocence, but it didn't fool her one bit.

" Well, I win anyway." He looked at the image she had drawn, and growled.

" Again. How many games is that?"

" I've lost count. Besides, I think you're going easy on me." She sat up and stretched, looking at him out of the corner of her eye.

He shook his head. " I take that as an insult." Standing up, he offered her a hand, and she gratefully accepted.

Arms wound round each other, they walked back to the palace, but on the way they met Honda and Hope, Yugi and Kai and Jono and Mai together. All had become great friends, and some of Bel um Fal's most trusted guards and ladies. Each were a couple - Kai and Hope had come to the palace to serve Bel um Fal, and had fallen in love with Yugi and Honda. Jono had admitted his feelings to Mai, and found that they were reciprocated.

Before they reached them, Bel um Fal whispered into Téana's ear, " I love you, with all my heart." She looked up at him. " I love you too, but why are you telling me now?" There was a hint of laughter in her voice.

" I just wanted you to know." She touched his cheek with her hand, and smiled.

" Thank you."

Soon they were laughing and joking with everyone, and Becah was allowed out to play in the fountain. It was an enjoyable evening, and one that would soon have to end. The war against the Shadow Games was starting, and Bel um Fal could no longer spare time to laugh and joke. He had serious work to do.

It was dark when Becah yawned, and Téana poked her younger sister.

" Bed, little sister," she scolded.

" But Téana…"

" No buts, Becah. You have work to do tomorrow."

Becah pouted, and everyone laughed.

" I'll take her in," Yugi offered. Kai nodded, and both got up. Hope, who had been sitting next to Honda on the edge of the fountain, stood as well, concealing something in her robes.

When Bel um Fal looked at her, her eyes stared dully and blankly back at him, and he felt a sudden stab of fear.

" Hope…"

" Pharaoh," she rasped in an echoing voice that was nowhere near hers. " You oppose the Shadow Games. War has begun, and you shall have to pay for Kobora's death. The price is high, my Pharaoh, something you treasure dearly."

She pulled out a jewelled dagger, and Bel um Fal's eyes widened. " No!"

The blade glinted in the moonlight, and everyone gasped. Hope lifted the dagger. Becah started screaming, being able to see what was happening from her vantage point at the top of the main stairs. The dagger dropped, and Téana cried out.

" Bel um Fal!"

He looked at her, pain evident in his eyes, amidst blazing anger. " Marik!" he gasped out, before catching Téana as she fell. Blood blossomed over her white robes from the wound in her stomach, staining them deep red. Jono pulled Mai away and hid her face, closing his eyes. Yugi and Kai stood in shock, while Becah ran to her sister, screaming and crying.

" Téana! No!"

Bel um Fal dropped to his knees and cradled Téana in his arms. " Téana," he whispered. " No, don't go like this…"

She shook her head, tears falling. Breathing was difficult. " I love you," she told him, touching his cheek.

" I love you so much, Téana, you can't do this…"

But she was already closing her eyes, the life draining out of her like the blood seeping from her wound.

Bel um Fal let her down slowly and laid her inert form on the ground, tears rolling down his cheeks.

" MARIK!" he cried, standing up. " YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS!" Even through his anger, he knew that Hope was not at fault. She was being controlled by Marik, a mere pawn in the game.

" I don't think so, my Pharaoh." And Hope's eyes rolled up in her head. Honda released a screaming Becah, who threw herself on Bel um Fal, and grabbed Hope before she hit the ground. Her eyes opened slowly, and the realization of what had just happened rushed back. Bel um Fal held Becah tightly to him, and she clung to him, not fully understanding everything. Honda held Hope, and helped her up.

" It's not your fault," he whispered, kissing her passionately. The shock was too much for her, and while in his embrace she felt the dagger still in her hand.

" I'm sorry," she sobbed to Bel um Fal, and before Honda could stop her, she plunged the dagger into her heart, looking into her lover's eyes as she breathed her last.

Death and darkness hung over the palace that night, oppressive and evil. Mourners were everywhere, and Bel um Fal and Honda stood by their lovers' bodies as they were laid on stone alters in the funereal chamber. After brushing a light kiss over Téana's cold lips, Bel um Fal rested his hand on Honda's shoulder. He looked back at the pharaoh sadly.

" What has he started?" Bel um Fal whispered. Honda shook his head. There was no way of knowing.