Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Heat Wave ❯ Let's turn the heat up ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Ok this little plot bunny has been jumping and mating in my head all summer (don't ask). And after a horribly freaking hot day today in Michigan that took us into the 90's again I decided to put this out and see what people think. I don't know yet but I was thinking of putting a pairing or two in this, maybe a Malik/Anzu and something else. Tell me what you think. Anyway please read and enjoy!

Disclaimer: I do not own yugioh or any of its characters though I do own doujin with certain characters in it being naughty ^,- Mwahaha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

"Heat Wave"

Chapter 1: "Let's turn the heat up"

Anzu woke up in a fit as she kicked off her remaining blankets and groaned. 'Why the hell does it feel like an oven in here?' She looked around her room and saw you could actually see the heat radiating off almost everything in her room. 'What the hell?' She slowly got up and almost fell over as a wave of nausea came over her and she slipped to the floor and crawled to her vent in a still sleepy state. She put her hand over the vent and noticed nothing was coming out. 'Who turned the air off?' It was then she looked to her clock to see her clock was off as well. 'What the hell? What's going on?' It then hit her and sent her mind and body on full awake. "A power outage?"

She went downstairs as fast as her weary body could go and tried to turn on any and everything downstairs but nothing would work. "I wonder what happened?" She went to the fridge and opened the door and noticed it was still somewhat cool inside. "Well it didn't go off too long ago then." She looked at the thermometer on the fridge and her eyes became the size of dinner plates. 105° F (AN: I know they go by C° over there but I suck as conversions :p ) showed on the poor little thermometer that only went to 115° F and looked like it was ready to pop. She tried to get a glass of water but realized no power meant no water. 'Oh my god what am I going to do?! I'm going to die!' It was then she realized she wasn't fully awake because she finally did wake up and hit herself in the head for being so stupid.

'Wait a second I have a generator! God I'm dumb!' She made her way into the garage and nearly choked on the air. It was so humid she felt like she had asthma but quickly took a breath of air and darted into the room over to the right corner and flipped a switch before pulling on a cord, much like you would to start a weed-whacker or chainsaw. And sure enough after a few pulls a whirring sound started up and she quickly got the hell out of that sauna from hell. She gulped in the hot but not asthma-inducing air as soon as she got back in the house. She noticed how gross and sweaty she was but decided a shower wouldn't do any good until the house was cool again. She went around the house and unplugged or turned off any unnecessary appliances so they wouldn't eat up the juice before turning on the TV.

"The heat wave of the century is what this is being called-" came on as she switched to the news. "Almost all of Japan is out of power as the heat continues to rise." 'Continues?! What the hell!?' "Even as different cities struggle for power it looks as if most of Japan will be out of power for at least a week if not longer as the major cities such as Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka struggle to get their power back. But in this heat it looks debatable." It was at this time the announcers co-anchor took over.

"That's right Hiroshi, as of right now it is 107° F but the heat will tip at 111° F by mid-time today." Anzu's eyes nearly bugged out of her head. "And the worst is yet to come. If you do not have a generator, pool, or some other means of cooling off we suggest you go to one of the larger hospitals or schools in your areas where the police will be working at helping people deal with the heat. By the middle of these seven days without power the heat is expected to rise to 123° F." Anzu nearly fainted on the spot. 'It's going to be 20° hotter?!' "Please if you or anyone you know does not have a way to keep cool in this type of weather try to get to some kind of heat shelter." It was at this point Anzu went over to her AC and made sure it stayed down in the lower 60's.

'What do I do? I know for a fact almost all of my friends have no where to keep cool especially in this power outage? But do I dare let them stay over here? The last time…' She tried not to growl as she remembered the entire next day of cleaning she had to do when she had a party over her house. 'But they are my friends and this isn't a party, this is to help them out right? And I don't even know if they need my help.' An image of all of them lying there in weird positions looking dried out like mummies with flies buzzing around them went through her head. 'Well it couldn't hurt just to make sure. I should probably go by Yugi's first seeing as almost everyone seems to assemble at his house when things like this happen. But maybe I should wait until the house cools down, what time is it anyway,' she wondered as she looked at the news again. '8:25?! No wonder I'm still so sleepy I never get up this early when I don't have to.' Seeing as it was summer break it meant no time in the last two weeks or in the next two months.

'Even Yugi wouldn't be up this early.'

Yugi wondered what the hell he was doing up so early. He looked at his watch to see it just read 8:30 AM. 'Why am I awake?' His question was then answered with a few knocks on the door from downstairs. 'What the- we don't open until 9 what's going on?' It was then he noticed how hot he felt. He tried to push the blankets off of him but noticed they weren't there. 'What the hell?' He saw them lying on the floor in a bunch. 'Then why am I so hot?' He sat up and noticed just how humid and hot it was. He was snapped from his thoughts though as the knocking continued and seemed to get louder. He stumbled down the stairs and made his way to the game part of the shop still in his boxers and peered out the window to see Jou and Honda. They looked horrible. Both were wearing their gym shorts from high school and Jou was shirtless though it looked like he had one tied around his waist while Honda had on a white tank-top. He quickly unlocked the door and let the Duo in.

"Water," they both moaned as they grabbed on to their smaller friend.

"Please Yugi," Honda got out before coughing.

"Water," Jou moaned his mouth also seemed to be parched. Yugi sighed and led them to the kitchen upstairs and groaned as it got hotter as he went up. He went to the kitchen and turned the faucet to put water in the glasses but nothing came out.

"W-what the hell," Jou squeaked out as his voice really was dry. "I thought you had a generator?!"

"What does a generator have to do with anything," Yugi groaned as the heat was getting to him as he fought with the plumbing for a glass for himself.

"No power," Honda groaned. "We thought you had some." It then hit Yugi that it did seem silent while his Yami usually left the TV on at night even after he'd gone to bed and Yugi would have to turn it off in the morning. He looked into the den and sure enough it was off. He went to the fridge and opened the door and the light didn't come on and while it was cool in the fridge it wasn't as cool as it should have been. Either way while at the fridge he grabbed out three bottled waters before coming back to sit next to his friends. As soon as they had the water in their hands they opened them up and started chugging them. Jou and Honda both sighed in satisfaction once they finished, while Yugi was just casually sipping his.

"So what's going on?" Honda was the first to answer.

"I heard it on the radio this morning." When he got weird looks he said, "It ran on batteries. Anyway I didn't understand why the power was out so I listened to the radio and it said most of Japan is out and that with the major cities struggling for power there's a good chance smaller cities like us may take a week or maybe more to get power back. They said it was about 103 this morning and its supposed to get to 111 by this afternoon. So I grabbed Jou because I knew he didn't have any way to keep cool." Jou huphed and gave him an indignant look. "So I went over grabbed him and we came here."

"But why?"

"Because we thought your grandpa said something about a generator," Jou said finally being able to speak. "You know last Christmas when the power went out for a few hours."

"He said he WANTED one, but we haven't had the money to get one yet." Jou and Honda both sighed as well as Yugi as he realized he didn't have a way to keep cool either. "So what do you think we should do?"

"You think Ryou has any way to stay cool," asked Jou.

"Probably not he lives in an apartment," Yugi responded.

"I heard they're setting up shelters; think we should go to one of them?" Yugi shrugged his shoulders.

"I heard it gets cooler underground, don't you have a basement Yugi," asked Jou.

"Yeah, hey is it just me or does it feel like something's missing," asked Yugi.

"Yugi, where's Yami," Honda finally asked noticing the absence of the ex-pharaoh. Yugi now noticed that he had yet to see his Yami this morning.

"I don't know, I haven't seen him yet this morning. Let me get dressed and we'll find him" It was only then his friends seemed to notice he was still in just boxers and they cracked up laughing when they noticed they were Dark Magician boxers. Poor Yugi was still grumbling about inconsiderate friends as they made their house-wide search for the young man's Yami. They once again gathered on the first floor of the house as it was coolest.

"Hey Yugi do you think it's hotter in Egypt where your grandpa is or here in Domino," asked Jou which seemed to annoy Yugi. Then again a lot of things were starting to annoy him as the temperature continued to rise. Honda noticed and quickly tried to keep Jou alive by distracting Yugi.

"Yugi I don't wanna be annoying but it's seriously too hot up here. Think we can sit in your basement for just a few minutes to cool off?" Yugi sighed before muttering what sounded like 'sure.' But what they found in the basement made the three boys go wide eyed. "Hey Yugi if Yami's hiding in the basement with three fans blowing on him and he's supposedly from Egypt and used to the heat, do you think this is a sign we may actually die from the heat?" Yugi couldn't answer.

An hour later and Anzu stepped out of the shower feeling refreshed. After the first half hour the house had cooled down significantly and she decided to rid herself of her nasty sweat-soaked shirt and wash the grime that accumulated with her sweat off with a shower. She now walked out feeling much cleaner and smelling a lot better (AN: Seriously how many girls you know wear deodorant to bed?). She went downstairs and looked at her little red wagon. Yes she had brought out her old red wagon from when she was a kid and loaded up with supplies. She planned on heading out into the evil sun and was hoping to get back to the safety and coolness of her house before the heat reached its peak today but she wasn't about to pass out or die in the sun because she wasn't prepared. That and she was sure the guys were probably frying over there so bringing some water for them would be nice.

"I just hope everyone made it to Yugi's that way I don't have to go anywhere extra." She looked at the sun block, towels, the five different containers she had full of ice (she would have brought water but thought it'd get hot by the time she got there. But melted ice would probably be a bit cooler), and the three mini fans that ran on batteries she found. "Heat or not I have to get going before it gets too hot out. It's about 9:30 now, if I can make it back before noon I may not have a heat stroke," she said sadly to herself. She put on a layer of sun block, took a long drink of water from the sink and grabbed the handle of her little wagon and set out into the pavement desert.

Yugi tilted his head to the side to see what Yami and Bakura were bickering about now. Ryou and Bakura had come over about a half hour after they took refuge in his basement. Apparently they had the same idea as Jou and Honda. Though Bakura took it a little worse then his hikari when he found out they didn't have water. When the boys asked the Yami's about 'didn't you used to live in Egypt,' Yami made no comment and Bakura muttered something about still needing water. That was almost two hours ago and to tell the truth, with no water meant no showers and even when Yugi decided to go up for some deodorant a lot of damage was already done and the smell in the basement was becoming almost unbearable.

"What are we going to do? We have only a few bottles of water left and I don't know if we can last until night to go into town for some," Honda moaned.

"It'll have to do unless you wanna volunteer," Yugi grumbled. Even Yugi was getting irritated with the heat as bad as it was.

"I say we draw straws," Jou said happily putting in his two cents.

"Don't you have to want to go out for that though," asked Ryou fanning himself with a piece of cardboard as Yami claimed the pharaoh needed the few fans they had. Yugi didn't complain though as Yami shared them with him.

"Come on whoever goes and gets it gets first dibs on water," said Jou trying to get the others to join in. This seemed to get the others to at least consider it.

"Ok but how do we know it's fair," said Yami looking over at Bakura.

"Are you calling me a cheater," he yelled getting all huffy about it.

"And a thief might I add."

"Why you little-"

"Hello? Guys? Is anyone in here?" They heard a familiar female voice coming from above them on the first floor.

"Hey isn't that Anzu," asked Jou. They others slowly got up and made there way to the first floor to greet her. Yugi was the first person to meet her.

"Oh hey Yugi, man you look hot." As the others filed into the store part of the house they looked at her dumbfounded as she seemed to barely be sweating and looked happy as could be.

"What the hell. How can you be so happy in this heat," Jou all but shouted at her.

"Because of what I'm about to offer."

"Offer," Ryou asked in confusion.

"Well I noticed you don't seem to have any electricity meaning no water, no fan, nothing. So I want to offer that to you." All of the guys gave her a dumb look that seemed to say 'huh?' "Well it just so happens that I have a generator and running water and AC. And thanks to how hot it got a few years ago when the electricity went out before the generator a pool. If you guys want you can camp out until this power outage is over." All of the guys just stared at her until her three closest friends started getting teary eyed and tried hard not to glomp her as they showed their appreciation.

"Anyway I hate to ask this but did you guys bring any cloths or anything?"

"Ummm no why," asked Jou. She sighed but smiled at him anyway.

"Well if you haven't heard this power outage is going to last a while."

"Yeah we heard that," said Honda butting in.

"Yeah but did you hear this Friday the heat is supposed to peak at 123°." All of their jaws hit the floor.

"What the hell we're going to die," moaned Jou and Honda grasping onto each other at the thought of turning into leathery bodies lying in the street in the middle of the hot road.

"Sheesh don't be so overly dramatic. When I invited you over I meant for the whole time, but later tonight or maybe early tomorrow before it gets real hot we should stop by your houses for some cloths or something." She took a look around the room ticking off people on her fingers as she did so. "Looks like almost everyone's here, hey Yami, Yugi, do you wanna pack some of your stuff up and save a later trip?" They nodded and made their way up stairs to pack. She looked around again in a scrutinizing way.

"What are you looking for," asked Ryou.

"Someone seems to be missing…hmmm...aha! Malik and his sister haven't contacted you yet?"

"Malik? Why would he come here," Jou said a little ticked.

"Why would Bakura come here," she pointed out which got an indignant 'hey' from him.

"Good point," Jou said to her counter.

"Do you think he's alright over there," she asked referring to Malik.

"Probably he is Egyptian," said Honda.

"But isn't Yami and Bakura also Egyptian and suffering from the same heat you are?" Honda and Jou looked between themselves and then at Anzu knowing she was right. But they also both knew she'd probably go after Malik and offer for him to stay as well if she thought he needed it. And while everyone else was at least on agreeable terms Jou wasn't over Mai getting screwed in the head during battle city by him or his Yami or whoever that was. But even as they tried they couldn't think of anything to defer her from going to check on Malik. Yami and Yugi came down soon after.

"You ready guys," Anzu said as they took one last look around the shop and Yugi took out the key to lock the door. They guys all sweat-dropped as they saw the stocked up little red wagon Anzu was totting outside the shop.

"Anzu what the hell is that," asked Jou poking fun at the poor red wagon.

"That is what I used to carry nice little supplies like towels, sun block, mini-fans, oh and look ice cold water," she said holding one of the canteens out in front of her taunting the two boys who now looked on pathetically as she dangled it in front of them. She tossed it up and let the two of them fight over it as she gathered one mini-fan and one full canteen and turning to Yugi.

"Ok Yugi here's the key to my front door. Just because I have power doesn't mean go and start a halo tournament or something on two different TVs. You bust the generator and we all say goodbye to nice old AC. So use as little electricity as you can. You want to watch TV and listen to music, you have to choose one or the other. And don't fight because I don't know how but I know I'll end up with a broken generator somehow. Help yourself to what's in the fridge but don't go overboard because we'll probably have to wait until tonight or tomorrow morning to go shopping for anything else. Also don't go inviting a lot of people over," she said this loud enough for Jou and Honda to hear as it was aimed towards them. "I'm inviting you over because you're my friends and I don't want you dieing of heat stroke. But this is no way a party."

"Anzu why are you telling me all this, it's not like you're going anywhere," said Yugi holding her house key in his hand.

"Of course I am."

"What?!"

"I know we may not be on the best of terms but Malik and Ishuzu may not have power and I don't want them staying in this kind of heat being from Egypt or not. You guys have been out in this longer then me so I don't want you to have to follow me. Just go back to my place and I'll meet up with you."

"But Anzu-"

"Don't worry Yugi I'll be fine. Really." She turned and started walking away but stopped and called out waving, "And do me a favor and make sure you all take showers when you get to my house." They all sweat-dropped as she made her way to the other side of Domino in her trek in the heat that rivaled Egypt.

AN: Good? Bad? Delete it? I seriously am not sure where this is going but if you want me to continue and see what kind of potential it has please tell me. I hope you enjoyed either way!