Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ High School life ❯ High School life 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
I walked through the door of the game shop, giddy and trying hard not to giggle. “Grandpa, I’m home!”

“Hello, Yugi…come in here and tell me all about you’re day.” He said. I followed his voice into the back storage room, a huge smile on my face.

“Grandpa – do you remember telling me to follow my heart, no matter what it led me to?” I gazed at the new cards on the table, trying to keep my voice under control.

“I seem to remember saying that once…It was right after you came out to live with me, wasn’t it?” Grandpa took more cards out and sorted them on the table before taking them to the counter out front. “Why, Yugi?”

I followed him, heading for the cooler to grab a pop as he walked back into the storage room. “Well, Grandpa…I had a junior ask me out tonight!” I was still grinning like a fool, but I didn’t care. I walked back into the store room so Grandpa smiling at me.

“So, what is her…I’m sorry, his name?” He corrected himself, which was happening less and less. Which is a good thing, I think.

I shook my head and gave him a fond smile. “His name is Yami Atemu.” In my mind I could still see intense crimson eyes looking at me. My _expression deepened to a smirk – tonight was going to be fun.

“Well, Yugi…” Grandpa interrupted my thoughts. “I’m going to tell you the same thing I told your father. Don’t do anything you’re going to regret.”



(((This is a space break)))


I heard a knock at the door as I put the last finishing touches on my outfit for the night. “Grandpa, can you get that? I’m still getting ready!” I hollered down the stairs through the bathroom door as I weighed cologne options. Finally choosing the Adidas, I splashed some on.

Critically, I looked at myself in the full-length mirror on the bathroom door. I had chosen to wear my light black leather pants and equally tight black shirt, and of course my chains. I nodded to my reflection in approval – I looked, felt and even smelt good.

I jump down the staircase in time to see Grandpa deep in conversation with Yami. They didn’t see me yet, and I paused to take in Yami’s appearance. He was dressed in a tight pair of blue jeans, a white shirt and a black leather choker. He’d outlined his eyes in black, enhancing the stunning crimson of his irises. He looked good enough to eat.

I could feel a blush rising in my cheeks as that thought ran through my head. Tonight was going to be so much fun. Absently I wondered where we were going…not that it really mattered as long as it was with him.

Taking a deep breath, I walked into the living room; Yami caught my eye over Grandpa’s shoulder and smirked…I grinned back. From the cadence of Grandpa’s voice I could tell that he was lecturing the older teen. Manfully I stifled a giggle.

“Hey, Yugi – you about ready?” Yami asked as Grandpa turned around – I changed my smirk into a sweet smile.

“Yep. I’m be home about 10, Grandpa…don’t wait up!” Yami took me by the arm and led me out the door, just as I heard Grandpa’s voice –

“Don’t worry, I will.”



((((Another space break))))



It was a perfect night. Not too cold, not too hot; the stars glimmered in a sky dark as Yami’s hair and the moon spilled silver light down around us.

We walked to the car and got in; Yami started the engine, music flowed all around us from the stereo – ‘You Set Me Free’ by Michelle Branch. One of my favorites.

“Oh, you like her too?” Yami smiled, putting the car into gear. My breath caught – his eyes looked so gentle. I could have lost myself in them if he hadn’t looked away to watch the road. For an irrational moment I envied that road.

Silence descended, broken only by the music.

“So where do you want to go?” Yami asked at last. I shook my head and shrugged – it didn’t matter to me as long as it was with him…but I didn’t want to say that for feat of scaring him away.

“Do you like sushi?”

“Sure, sounds good.” I gazed out the window, fighting a blush at the thoughts running through my mind of Yami and crimson eyes.

We pulled into a parking lot before I even really realized it – the first clue was the sudden stop of the engine noise. I blinked and blushed a bit more, undoing my seatbelt and reaching for the door handle.

“Hold on, Yugi.” Yami forestalled my action, getting out himself and racing around to the passenger side to open the door for me. I smiled as I stepped out, looking up at him; his eyes were gentle, kind.

“Thanks.” I murmured, lost in endless crimson pools. He took my hand and led me into the restaurant.

I had just shaken the daze when the waitress came up to us, eyeing Yami hungrily. “How many?”

“Just us two.” Yami squeezed my hand; the waitress noticed this and lost her smile.

“Right this way please.” She forced her lips to curve as she led us to the table. Yami and I walked behind her, hands still clasped. His skin was so soft and silky…it felt so right to be like this, holding hands. Reluctantly we parted as we sat down across from each other. Yami ordered a Pepsi and I absently did the same.

“So you live with your Grandfather?” Yami asked, playing with his choker.

“Yeah…my parents died when I was really little.” I looked out the window. The waitress came and took our order before Yami spoke to me again, touching my hand to get my attention.

“I’m sorry…I didn’t know. I didn’t mean for you to get depressed.”

“It’s okay.” I tried for a nonchalant shrug, but I could feel a blush rising in my cheeks again; it always seemed to happen around him. “I didn’t know them, really.”

Trying to salvage the mood, I started chattering about meaningless stuff; school and the other people I hung out with, little things. He just watched me with a mysterious look in his eyes, not saying anything until I stumble to a halt. I must have annoyed him with all that stupid stuff.

“Why did you stop?” Yami asked, smiling at me. “I was enjoying you’re story.”

“I thought I was annoying you.” I glanced at the table and out the window again, not sure where to look.

“Of course not.” The waitress brought us our food; we began to eat as I started to talk again between bites.

We were almost done when his cellphone rang. Yami jerked and shot me an embarrassed look. I gave him an ‘it’s okay’ wave and rose, heading to the washroom to give him some privacy.

On my way back to the table I heard a really disturbing conversation; a moment later I identified the voice as Yami’s.

“Ryou…please, please, calm down. Now, tell me what happened.” A pause. “He raped you again?” I jerked at the mention of the word ‘rape’ even as I tried to slow down my pace. Yami’s voice had taken on the too-calm tone of someone trying not to panic. “Did you tell him that it was wrong?” Another pause. “He said what?” I had reached the table by then – Yami looked up at me. “Listen, I’ll be right over. Don’t do anything stupid, alright?” and with that he hung up. “I’m sorry, Yugi, but I’m afraid I’ll have to cut our night short.” He pulled out some money – enough for the food and a generous tip – and left it beside the plates, picking up his jacket and pulling it on. I did the same.

“I know it’s really none of my business, Yami, but what’s going on?”

“I’ll tell you in the car.” He took my hand and led me out to the vehicle. We got in quickly – Yami’s engine roared to life and he sped quickly from the parking lot.

“I would appreaciate it if you didn’t tell this to anyone else.” Yami spoke up suddenly, breaking the silence. I nodded my agreement, and he went on. “Ryou – he’s my best friend – well, he’s gay too. And his father raped him tonight.”

I stared at him with wide eyes, too shocked to speak.

“It started when Ryou told his father about his – preferences.”

“I can’t believe it.” I breathed, horrified and disgusted. “Grandfather…when I told Grandfather about that, he just told me to do what made me happy. I can’t imagine…”

“Yeah, well, his father isn’t the nicest person around.” Yami gritted out, bitterness dripping from his voice. “At first he tried to blame me; but Ryou told him that he’d always felt that way – he just didn’t know how to tell him.”

We pulled into the driveway and I got out quickly, sensing Yami’s desire to get over to Ryou’s. He called me over to the drivers window, giving me a swift, nervous smile. “Would you like to go out with me again?” he asked.

“Sure.” I smiled, and that’s when it happened. He leaned through the window and kissed me. I froze, not sure what to do, the feeling of his soft lips on mine driving all thought away from my mind and all the blood from my brain. He pulled back and gave me a slow smile before shifting into drive, leaving my gaping like a fish as I watched him vanish into the night.

I finally shook off the shock, blinked burning eyes, turned, and went inside.