Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be Missing You ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Based off the song "I'll Be Missing You" by P.Diddy. Oh yeah, I don't own YuGiOh or the chorus lyrics. If I did own YuGiOh, there would be anime conventions in America! New York to be specific, but I've always wanted to go to one!

Anyways, the story awaits!

I'll Be Missing You

*Every step I take,

Every move I make,

Every single day and

Time I pray,

I'll be missing you.

Thinking of the day,

When you went away,

What a life to take,

What a bond to brake,

I'll be missing you*

(Ryou's POV)

"Well, see you later Ryou!" Yugi said as we parted to journey home. It was just after school and all of the students couldn't wait to get home.

"Yeah, see ya," I replied with an empty smile.

As soon s I had turned a corner, my face went straight. How can I smile? Is there any point in trying?

My feet were carrying me along as thoughts of you came back again. They always do.

*flashback*

"So you remember all the rules?" I asked Bakura.

"Yes, for the seven thousandth time, yes!" He answered very annoyed.

"I'm sorry, this is the first time you're going to be home alone for more than a day. Are you sure you'll be fine?"

"For Ra's sake, yes! Now go before you miss the plane!"

I looked at the clock and quickly grabbed my coat and bags.

"Bakura, I-"

"Don't even think about asking if I'll be fine, if I know the rules, or if I remember all of the emergency numbers!"

"I wasn't. I only wanted to say be safe and goodbye for 2 weeks."

"Oh… well… uh bye," Bakura said quickly as I closed the door behind me.

*end flashback*

Oh, how I wish I did miss that flight. Then it wouldn't have happened… It's all my own fault; I'm so sorry.

I found myself stopped in front of the park. Why did my feet take me here? And of all days, why today? This park… My feet absent-mindedly brought me to stand on the hill, our hill.

*flashback*

"I must agree, spring is a very wonderful season. A good time for killing pigeons!" Bakura yelled as he chased he flock of birds.

"They're just innocent little animals! Don't kill them! I'll let you chase them, but don't you dare murder a single one!" I responded, sitting on the hill and watching the sunset.

"But that's no fun!" He complained.

"Would you want them to follow you with a sling-shot and fling rocks at you?!" I turned to face Bakura, who had already stopped to stare at me.

He suddenly doubled over laughing at the mental picture of him running from pigeons carrying slingshots. He sent what he imagined to me through our mind link, and I couldn't help but giggle. He envisioned the oddest things sometimes.

A dark purple sky was now above us with pink-rimmed clouds slowly inching westward.

"You made me miss the climax of the sunset! Now it's dark and the park closes in an hour!" I shouted angrily at Bakura, who decided to try and sneak up on the pigeons.

The whole flock immediately left the ground, making it look like a huge cloud of black dust.

"And you made the pigeons go away! Now what is there to do?" Bakura stomped over to the top of the hill.

"Just sit and relax for once?" I suggested.

"Nah, then I'd be too much like you," he taunted back.

"And that's a bad thing?"

"Of course! Who would want to be a worry-wart, over-protective, neat-freak like you?"

"Bakura! Is that what you really think of me?"

"And you can't even tell when I'm joking! C'mon, learn to lighten up!"

"And go around killing innocent living things?!"

"Not that much! I can't even picture you hurting a fly!"

I just laughed. I know his insults are jokes but I always tend to ask if they're real. I know I love him but why do I care so much about what he thinks of me? If he loves me back, let him accept me for what I am. A worrywart, neat freak, and over-protective.

"Wow, did you just laugh? I mean, you, Ryou, who hardly smiles just laughed? At me?"

I blushed. Was it really that big of a deal? If I don't laugh all the time, does that mean I can't ever?

"Y-yeah, is that a b-bad thing?"

"Your come backs are really bad when you don't mean it."

*end flashback*

Ha. Just the thought of me laughing again makes me feel odd. On this very hill is the first place you made me laugh.

Why am I sitting down, staring at the whitened sky, when I know it's in the past? Winter is supposed to be a sad time of year, but the anniversary of when you had to go? Winter always was my least favorite season…

Tears started to form behind my eyes, but I did not let them fall. Atleast not today. You wouldn't like it if I cried. You'd see that I'm truly not strong enough to be the one for you. Even if it's not possible anymore, I still love you.

Snow started to lightly fall around me. I'm alone; no one would come to a park in the winter. No more laughing children or loving parents walking around until spring comes again. I let myself get dusted with white and still stare into the horizon, white sky looming above.

*flashback*

"Bakura! I'm home! I'm finally home!" I shouted walking in the door and dropping my luggage.

Two weeks of sleeping in a hotel made the house look so big. I never noticed how much extra space we have…

"Hello, it's been a while." Bakura said from halfway down the stairs.

"Bakura! Oh, I've missed you so much!" I ran up and gave my yami a hug.

"Um… Ryou? Did America really change you that much?"

I realized I had never hugged him before and pulled away blushing. What was I thinking?! I'll give my secret away!

"Sorry, I guess it has."

"Well, are you going to tell me about it? I am kinda interested in the American culture."

I looked up in surprise. Bakura want me to talk to him?! And he's interested in something other than Egypt and himself?!

"Uh… sure, I guess. Could I just unpack first?"

"Duh! I meant tell me after you were done!"

"Oh, and I have a present to give you later," I said, retrieving my bags and walking past Bakura up the stairs.

*end flashback*

Had I not hugged you, all of this wouldn't have happened. How was I supposed to know? How did I not? Why didn't you tell me?

Tears threatened to fall, but I restrained them still. You opened me up, exposed my fragile heart to the world. And I was happy; for once I was happy. But did you have to go? My whole world crumbled that day. My last wall of protection collapsed. My heart disappeared.

If I only I had told you before… maybe things would be different. I wouldn't be regretting so many things never done, so many things never said, so many places never seen.

*flashback*

"So what is this present you have for me?" Bakura asked, plopping down on the bed beside me.

"Oh, right! It's just over here," I said, rummaging in the remaining pile of clothing.

My fingers touched a box and I quickly pulled it out. I handed it to Bakura who immediately tore it open.

"I hope you like it. I got it the second day I was there," I said as he examined it.

"Uh… well… I don't know what to say. I'll never wear it but I guess it's pretty cool," Bakura mumbled and took the object into his hand.

"It's a locket. I put a picture of you and me inside. I know it's not something you'd normally have but I thought you could try something different."

"…I guess. Thanks anyway," He said and walked out.

Bakura just thanked me? Who taught him how to be polite while I was gone? One of the rules is no one's allowed over!

I watched him walk towards his room. Just before Bakura walked in, he did something that amazed me. The locket now hung from his neck, just above the Sennen Ring.

*end flashback*

I pulled the locket out of my pocket and cupped it dearly in my hands. I held it right above my heart, where you still are. Even a year after I can't seem to get rid of any of your stuff. But it's all I have left of my dearest and only love; why should I?

Opening the locket, I looked at the one side with me on it. I wasn't ever too fond of the picture. Then, as I looked at the side with you, the tears finally came down. You actually smiled in this one.

I closed it quickly and placed it around my neck. The sky again caught my attention as I stared

out, now crying on the hill. You went away a year ago, this day. Ever since, I have never had a moment I wasn't thinking about you. Teachers, guidance counselors, and psychologists all tried to get me to think of something else. Each one failed, though I told them I was fine.

*flashback*

"Bakura, where are you? This isn't a game!" I called out, walking down the pitch-black hallways.

The snowstorm had caused a power outage and Bakura was nowhere to be found. Lucky for me, I know the house well enough to find my way.

"Bakura, answer me! This isn't funny!" I tried again.

I walked into what I believe was his room and tried the light switch. Nothing happened. I walked over to where I believe his bed is and felt around.

"Bakura? Are you in here?" I said, lowering my voice.

Still he didn't answer me. I made my way to the hallway closet to look for candles. Finding them and lighting one, I tried going into Bakura's room again. As soon as I turned the handle to open his door, the lights flickered on. I sighed and blew out the candle, placing it down on the table just outside the room.

Upon entering, the lights flickered and shut off. I must really no be wanted in here! I just decided to walk over to the bed again. As soon as I reached the edge of the bed, a quick flash of light then darkness let my eyes see something I did not want to see.

Bakura was lying down on his bed, breathing heavily and closing his eyes.

"Bakura! Are you ok?! Bakura, answer me!" I shouted.

He was still breathing uneasily, unable to answer. My first thought was the hospital, so I ran as quickly as possible, tripping over 7 items on the way, to the phone.

*end flashback*

That was the last I saw of you conscious. Did it have to be during a snowstorm that that happened? If there hadn't been terrible weather, would you still be here by my side? If I hadn't been an idiot, would I be able to see you again?

I felt a presence around me and tried to quickly wipe away the tears, so no one would know. The presence was familiar, but far away. One last memory came to me…

*flashback*

A doctor walked out and looked at me with a solemn face. I quickly walked over, hoping it would not be the worst.

"I'm so sorry… but… he's no longer with us," the doctor said, hoping I would stay calm.

"He… isn't? He's gone? He's really gone…?" I said, tears welling in the corners of my eyes.

The doctor nodded and walked off as I plopped down into my seat again. Bakura, could you really...? Did you really…? Bakura, but why?

Is it really my fault? All because I had to go on some trip for school. All because I loved you. I never knew that you hadn't had any vaccinations yet. I never knew you could get sick, actually. But just that hug, just that one sign of affection brought upon you the essence of disease, American disease that you hadn't been introduced to yet.

Did you have to die though? Was it that bad? Could I have done anything to stop it? Why can't I just go with you? But that won't do anything, I probably won't see you anyway. You are in heaven, I know it. But me… I don't deserve to be in such a place of goodness. I walked home and sat on your bed, crying myself to sleep.

*end flashback*

I still go into your room every night. Every night I pray in there that you're watching down on me, that you've made it safely to the Golden Gates. Every night I cry myself to sleep, hoping I'll wake up from this nightmare. Every night…

"Tears shouldn't stain such pure skin," A voice said and I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see you, smiling at me.

"Bakura?" I asked, as to make sure you were real.

You smiled and nodded. Tears of joy were now what caused the wetness on my face.

"What are you doing out here alone? And why don't you have a jacket on?" You asked.

"I come here often. And it wasn't snowing when I left from school. It doesn't matter to me anymore, you're here!"

"Ryou, you must take better care of yourself. You wouldn't want anything to happen, would you?" Your concerned voice made my heart melt.

"But Bakura, you're actually here! You're back! I can't believe I'm actually able to see you again!" I jumped up and hugged you, letting myself feel your arms around me as well.

"Bakura, I love you. I always have," I whispered.

"I'm sorry Ryou, but I have to go. I'll see you soon!" Bakura said in a cheery voice and walked away, disappearing into the snowy distance.

"Bakura! Wait! Bakura…" I said, reaching out a hand and then letting it fall down again.

"Ryou? Are you ok?" I heard another voice and turned around yet again.

"Huh? Oh, hi Yugi. I thought you went home."

"Well, I remembered what today is and followed the only footsteps in the snow. I saw you holding the air. What was that about?"

"You didn't see him? Bakura was just here!" I sounded happy for once in a whole year.

"No, Ryou, he wasn't. I'm sorry, but I was just behind you when that happened. Ryou, did you really see him?"

"Yes, he even hugged me back. I felt him…" My voice was starting to sound more depressing by the minute.

"There isn't a single path of footsteps besides our own. Were you hallucinating?"

"I guess… Bakura wasn't here… He didn't come back…"

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know you were still stuck on him. After all of the therapy you had and how you acted in school, I guessed you had moved on." Yugi said, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"It's ok, I'm probably just getting worked up about it because it's the anniversary. Normally I'm not like this," I lied.

"Oh, well, would you want to come over to my house, that way you won't be alone today?"

"No, I'm fine out here. Really, I like it."

"You sure? You're shivering!"

"Yes, I'm sure. Please, if I could be alone, it would be appreciated," I replied, sitting back down on the snow-covered grass.

I waited until the footsteps on the snow became distant before crying again. That wasn't you? But I felt your warm skin… I heard your voice… I saw you…

Bakura, I miss you so much. And I love you, forever and always…

*************************************************************** ***********************

*cues ending music* That was Ryou's POV about losing Bakura. Sorry it's so depressing… And that Ryou hallucinated Bakura… *uses 5 tissues* But thanks to all of you who will review for this chappie! Write your review while I go use a whole box of tissues, listen to this song, and sign while crying. Oh yeah! If you didn't notice, I snuck in lines from other songs that just happened to come to my mind. There are two and they're altered ever so slightly. If you guess them right, I'll give you an imaginary Ryou plushie! *goes of to do aforementioned stuff and sew imaginary Ryou plushies at the same time*