Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Into The Night ❯ And So It Begins ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

BH: I didn't do it!
 
Rhane: *rolls eyes* Yeah, and I'm the bleedin' Messiah
 
Nathan: No, you're just in love with him
 
Rhane: *turns red* Traitor!
 
BH: Children, please! We're supposed to be introducing my new story, not arguing.
 
Rhane: *half-way through trying to rip Nathan's hair out* Do it yourself, authoress-lady!
 
BH: *sweatdrop* Right... Anyway! *turns back to readers* Welcome to Into The Night, the deranged hybrid of a Yu-Gi-Oh kick inspired by the AMV Photograph (seriously, go to animemusicvideos.org and give it a download, it's really cool) and a couple of very bored beta readers.
 
Indignant Beta Readers: It's your own fault!
 
BH: Oh, shut up! Anyway, little quick intro to the insanity that surrounds me *points to Rhane* That's Rhane, better known as Blood Rhane or Satan. Yeah, she's the antichrist, the daughter of Lucifer, and my very unlucky muse of, guess what, anything controversial.
 
Nathan: And she's also in love with the human incarnation of the Messiah...
 
BH: And that's Nathan, my muse of comedy and romance, Rhane's life-long best friend and the reincarnation of the archangel Gabriel. He's my most reliable muse, and also the only creature capable of keep Rhane in line, besides possibly Christ himself. Christ isn't here at the moment, but he's my muse of the supernatural and suspense.
 
Bezelbub: Where is the mighty begotten son, anyway? *Fangirls scream in the background*
 
Rhane: Running errands for his old man
 
BH: Bezelbub is the oldest son of Lucifer, making him Rhane's older brother, and my muse of angst and drama. Don't let the cute face fool you, he's mean as all hell (literally) when you get him mad, but he's got nothing on his onee-chan, right Rhane?
 
Rhane: *sticks her tongue out at BH*
 
BH: And sorry, ladies, he's taken, not that I have a clue where Bel went...
 
Fangirls boo in the background, other scream and gush.
 
BH: Back to Into The Night...
 
Warnings: None really, save for a few slight JouxYugi hints and some blood and gore later. Oh, and the abnormal bust on a certain girl, but that's beside the point. And language, can't forget language...
 
Couples: None. Hints of AnzuxYugi (don't worry, it's not gonna last, I hate Anzu) and a large helping of JouxYugi hints, but there won't be any real romance.
 
Disclaimer: If I owned Yu-Gi-Oh, do you really think Jou would be in love with MAI?!
 
~*~ Into The Night Chapter 1: And So It Begins~*~
 
 
I'm afraid to say, my children, that this is merely the beginning of your journey. From here the road will get harder, but we have given you gifts to help you on your way. Earth, Fire, and Air, powers no mortal has possessed in five millennia.
 
It's time to wake up, children.
 
Wake up.
 
“Wake up, Yugi.”
 
“Yugi, Yugi, wake up.”
 
Yugi cracked one eye open, glared blearily at his yami, “Go away,” and rolled over to bury his face in his pillow.
 
“Merry Christmas to you, too, Yug'.”
 
Yugi's head shot up and he twisted around to look past his yami at the boy leaning lazily against the bedroom doorframe. Jou nodded grimly to his best friend, “Mornin' Yug'.” A smile spread across his face, stretching a scar that ran between his eyes and down to the corner of his mouth, “It's over.”
 
“Over?” Yami asked, turning to look at the boy in the doorway with a puzzled expression.
 
Yugi was just as confused as his darker half, trying to understand what exactly Jou was talking about. Jou only smiled wider and nodded towards the white cloth tied around Yugi's wrist.
 
And everything came back. With a shout, Yugi leapt out of bed, forcing Yami to jump aside, and ran past Jou out into the hall. He nearly tripped running down the stairs, and again turning the corner into the kitchen. He felt Jou's hands hit his shoulders with an almost audible thump as he tried to stop himself from running the smaller boy over.
 
Red-rimmed green and purple eyes met his, looking decidedly odd without the kohl that normally lined them. Tears of relief welled up in Yugi's eyes and he felt Jou's grip on his shoulders tighten.
 
You stayed. You're okay.
 
“Hey guys,”
 
You're... smiling?
 
“We did it.”
 
Is that... a bow in your hair?
 
“Merry Christmas,”
 
You almost got killed and you're telling us `Merry Christmas'? Yeah, I guess so.
 
~*~Three Weeks Ago~*~
 
Jou gave a long, tired yawn and slumped down on his desk.
 
“Didn't get much sleep last night?” Honda asked coyly.
 
“The old man came home drunk last night,” Jou grumbled, “I didn't get any sleep.”
 
“Aw, man,” Honda grumbled, “I told you to come to my house when he did that.”
 
“Kinda hard when he's trying to kill me most of the night.”
 
Yugi winced sympathetically, but remained silent, standing in the doorway. He wasn't supposed to hear this conversation.
 
I know you're there, Yug',” Jou mumbled sleepily, not even looking towards the door.
 
//He's more observant asleep than awake,// Yami chuckled.
 
/Yami!/
 
“I didn't mean to listen in,” Yugi muttered, dropping his backpack on his desk.
 
Jou shrugged sleepily, “Who cares. You're my best friend, Yug', you'da found out eventually anyway.”
 
Yugi smiled sadly, but anything he might have said was cut short when two of their classmates entered, laughing and joking. Ryou, sporting a well-hidden limp, entered soon after, and Yugi's concern immediately did a one-eighty to the injured ring-bearer.
 
“Are you alright?” Yugi asked quietly, looking Ryou over for more injuries.
 
“Fine,” Ryou replied, smiling faintly, “Why do you ask?”
 
Yugi sighed and shook his head, “It's... it's nothing.” What could he do? If he tried to interfere, Bakura would only hurt Ryou more.
 
Ryou gave him a slight, grateful smile, then turned back to some last-minute homework he had not had time to do last night. The rest of the class slowly filed in, none too willing to begin another week of school, especially so close to the Christmas holiday.
 
Yugi yawned and rested his head on his arms. Jou wasn't the only one who was sleepy; he'd been up all night trying to finish an essay for that stupid history teacher that seemed under the impression that Cairo was a Greek god and Ramses was a Chinese food.
 
By the time their teacher came in, Yugi's eyes began to droop. Ten minutes into class, he was being lulled to sleep by the sound of Jou's surprisingly loud snoring.
 
“There you are, Bastet!”
 
The huge black werewolf sat up on its haunches and studied Yugi curiously before bending down to lick Yugi's face. Yugi smiled and reached up to stroke the monster's head, “What have you been up to?”
 
Bastet growled and nuzzled Yugi's cheek. The giant werewolf placed its hand on the ground, and without a thought Yugi stepped onto it. He fit perfectly into the palm on the monster's hand. Bastet placed Yugi on its shoulder and crouched down on all fours.
 
“Where are we going?” Yugi asked, nestling his hands into the beast's warm fur.
 
Bastet only growled in response and took off at a trot, which quickly became a full-fledged run, and Yugi found himself shouting in delight as they leapt over a huge wall at least twice Bastet's size. He could hear enraged priests shouting for them to come back, but he didn't care.
 
It felt like they ran for hours, and, as far as Yugi was concerned, they didn't need to stop. Then, suddenly, Bastet ground to a halt at the entrance to a cave. Yugi released his grip on Bastet's fur and slid down the werewolf's arm to walk in front of it.
 
“Where exactly are we, you damn hairball with legs?” Yugi asked very uncharacteristically. Bastet only growled in response and nudged him forward with one huge hand. “Okay, okay, I get it.”
 
He moved forward slowly, unsure of what to expect. Bastet was his most loyal monster, one of the few that was never expected to return to the Shadow Realm, but it wouldn't be the first time a monster turned on its master.
 
He glanced back at the werewolf, a slight chuckle escaping his lips as its head brushed the ceiling and knocked into low rocks. No, Bastet would never betray him.
 
Finally the tunnel opened up onto a huge ledge and Yugi let out a small gasp when he looked over. Stretching out, as far as the eye could see, the ocean, deep black, with blurs of gold and green drifting just below the surface. Monsters were moving just below the water.
 
“It took us a while, but we found it,”
 
Yugi spun around. Someone was walking out of the tunnel.
 
“Beautiful isn't it? Imagine what it must have looked like in his vision, with sunlight bouncing off the waves and monster's leaping from them.”
 
Yugi looked back at the ocean, “Yeah, beautiful.”
 
A hand touched his shoulder, “You okay, Pharaoh?”
 
Yugi's mind was on the dream for the rest of the day. At lunch he barely touched his food, which resulted in mild panic from several of his friends. Yami remained stubbornly silent all through the day. He was in such a daze on the way home that he walked out into the middle of the street without thinking.
 
“Yug', watch it!”
 
Something knocked Yugi's feet out from under him and a pair of arms lifted him off the ground. Suddenly he was tumbling across the ground, the arms wrapped tightly around him and shielding him from any major harm. They fell in a heap on the ground and Yugi pressed his face into his savior's shoulder. For several minutes they just lay there, gasping for air.
 
“You okay, Yug'?” a familiar voice gasped, the arms wrapping just a little more tightly around him. Yugi grunted in response and pressed his face deeper into Jou's shoulder, too stunned to say much else. Jou sighed and ruffled Yugi's hair, “Glad I followed ya. You'd be some guy's new hood ornament now if I hadn't, ya nut. What were ya thinkin'?”
 
Yugi simply shook his head, “Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.”
 
“Obviously,” Jou muttered.
 
//Yugi, are you alright?//
 
Oh, sure, NOW he notices what's going on.
 
/Yeah, Yami, I'm fine. Just a little... mishap./
 
Yugi could tell his darker half didn't believe him, but the spirit returned to his musings just the same. He trusted Yugi enough to tell him when something was wrong.
 
Jou grunted and sat up slightly, still keeping his deathgrip around Yugi, and groaned, “Man, what's up with you today?”
 
Yugi shook his head, finally looking up at his savior, “Nothing, I'm just tired. I was up all night working on my essay.”
 
“Liar,” Jou muttered and stood up, finally releasing Yugi, “You don't walk head-long into a car `cause ya tired!”
 
//Aibou.//
 
“It's nothing,” Yugi muttered, looking away.
 
//Yugi!//
 
“Yug',” Jou began.
 
//Yugi!//
 
“Just drop it!” Yugi snapped, just a little more forcefully than he meant to.
 
Jou froze.
 
//YUGI!//
 
Yugi jumped slightly, /What?!/
 
//If you're done yelling,// Yami chided coldly, //I'm sensing some very powerful shadow magic nearby. We may need to go check it out.//
 
Yugi closed his eyes and rubbed him temples, /Alright./
 
“Yug'?” Jou asked tentatively, “What is it?”
 
Yugi closed his eyes, “Yami senses something. We're going to check it out.”
 
“I'm comin' with ya,” Jou replied immediately.
 
Yugi developed a panicked look, “No. This might get dangerous!”
 
“What do ya call Duelist Kingdom?” Jou replied icily, “Hello, best friends, together forever, all that jazz? I'm comin' with ya, Yug', and you're not stoppin' me!”
 
//Stubborn,// Yami chuckled lightly.
 
“Fine,” Yugi grumbled, /Where to, Yami?/
 
//The park, it's coming from the park,//
 
/Right,/ Yugi nodded, and set off in the aforementioned direction with a backwards glance at Jou.
 
//Hurry, Yugi. It's growing.//
 
Yugi broke into a full-out run, barreling down sidewalks and narrowly missing getting hit by a few more cars, much to Jou's chagrin.
 
The park was mostly deserted, to Yugi's immense relief. The last thing they needed if something were to attack was a bunch of people getting caught in the crossfire.
 
//Stop!// Yami mentally shouted, and Yugi did, so fast that he was almost run over by a startled Jou.
 
/Here?/ Yugi asked, looking around.
 
//Here.//
 
“I don't see anything,” Yugi muttered, looking around.
 
//Give it time, Aibou. It will come.//
 
“What is it?” Jou asked as Yugi flopped down on the bench.
 
“Yami says to wait and see what happens,” Yugi replied.
 
Jou sighed and slumped down in the seat next to Yugi, “Never a dull day with you around, is there?”
 
Yugi giggled and shook his head, fingering the Millennium Puzzle out of sheer habit, the closed his eyes, “Jounouchi-kun...”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Sorry... about the way I acted earlier. I'm just...”
 
Jou sighed and leaned back, stretching his arms to take up the entire back of the bench, “Don' worry about it, Yug'. We all act a little crazy sometimes.”
 
“But-” Yugi began.
 
“No buts,” Jou interrupted, “Just drop it, okay. We're friends, aren't we?” Yugi nodded. “Then there's nothin' else ta worry about.”
 
“Jou...”
 
“Drop it, Yug',” Jou closed his eyes and smiled, “Wake me up when... whatever it is, gets here.”
 
“Sure thing, Jounouchi-kun,” Yugi muttered, even though the blonde was already asleep, and allowed the taller boy's head to fall against his own. He could have sworn he heard Yami chuckling in the back of his mind.
 
Yugi smiled and decided to follow his friend's example, leaning back and closing his eyes. But he barely fell into a light doze before a jolt of shadow energy banished any thoughts of sleep from his mind he might have had.
 
/Yami?/ he asked tentatively.
 
//It's here.//
 
And suddenly the air in front of Yugi exploded into a mass of roiling, black shadows. Tendrils reached out of the portal, then snapped back as though they'd been burned. And, in the center, was a small patch of white, slowly expanding.
 
//That's not an ordinary Shadow Realm portal,// Yami mused.
 
The portal suddenly collapsed in on itself, then exploded outward again, and something slammed into Yugi and Jou with enough force to knock the wind out of them and tilt the bench they were sitting on. The world swam in front of Yugi for a moment before slowly coming back into focus.
 
“Aw, man, wha' hit me?” Jou mumbled next to him, “Fells like a tank...”
 
Yugi looked down at the object that had struck him and gasped.
 
“Eh? Yug'?”
 
Stretched across their laps, apparently out cold, was what could have been mistake for a young girl, save for that fact that no child was that...
 
“Jeeze,” Jou whistled appreciatively, “that rack's bigger than she is!”
 
~*~End Chapter 1~*~
 
Rhane: *twitch* BH...
 
BH: *points to Sumi-chan* It's her fault!
 
Nathan: Let my translate the blonde. You see, BH has thirteen betas that specialize in various forms of writing. Every time she starts a major fic, such as Into The Night, each beta gives her one line to use. Sumi-chan, her grammatical beta, gave her that last line that you just read.
 
Bezelbub: We'll make sure to tell you when the other twelve are used.
 
BH: Well, folks, that's all for now. HA!! I BEAT MY DEADLINE FOR ONCE!!!!! IN YOUR FACE, NEE-CHAN!!!
 
Nathan: *sweatdrop* Happy New Year, all. Have a great year.
 
Please R&R, Constructive criticism always appreciated, Flames will be Jou's new pets (you'll get it at the end of the story)
 
~*~ “And the Lord said, “This isn't going to end well...” - Rhane, talking to Christ near the end of my Blood Rhane story (which may eventually get published on fictionpress.com) ~*~