Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Kaiba’s Christmas Carol ❯ Chapter 1: Introducing Scrooge ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Kaiba's Christmas Carol
Author: Kagome Mokuba & Clarity2199
RATING: PG-13
Clarity Narr: General/Humor, warning on possible adult language. This story is an AU based on the Xmas story, “A Christmas Carol”, where as Kaiba is playing the obvious part of `Scrooge'. Hope you enjoy!
Mokuba A/N: Note this story isn't connected to Seto's Wish in any way. It's its own story. Please note that this isn't your typical `Christmas Carol' story. This is a `realistic' version. So no comments saying `This isn't how the movies always go!' It's not suppose to. Hence the word `realistic'!
Note that Mokuba's b-day is normally in July, but not for this story.
 
Disclaimer: We do not and never will own Yugioh. Yu-Gi-Oh! is a popular game, Japanese anime, and manga franchise created by Kazuki Takahashi that mainly involves the card game called Duel Monsters (originally known as Magic & Wizards). The English version of the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga is released in the United States and Canada by VIZ Media in both the Shonen Jump magazine and in individual graphic novels.
 
Notice: This is a Yugioh Christmas story. Because we the writers are American and not Japanese, we are basing any holidays mentioned in this story as how Americans would experience them. We are not aware of how the holidays are celebrated in Japan. If anyone has a problem with that, they are welcome to find Japanese writers to read what they may define as a more appropriate Yugioh Xmas fic. But we can only write based on the knowledge we have. You have been warned.
x-x-x-x-x-x-xx-x-x-x-x-x x-x-x-x-x-x-xx-x-x-x-x-x x-x-x-x-x-x-xx-x-x-x-x-x x-x-x-x
 
Chapter 1: Introducing Scrooge
 
It was the day before Christmas vacation, and all the school kids were excited and couldn't wait for this day to end. Well......there was one who didn't seem to care, either way. Kaiba sat in his desk, typing away at his laptop. This was a rare occasion to not see Kaiba writing down his homework at the same time. And that was because.....there was no homework.
 
Class had just ended and everyone was packing up to lunch. Yugi and his friends were chatting away, talking about their Christmas party. As they did, Yugi poked his head out from the group of them, looking over at Kaiba. He left the group that silenced everyone, realizing what he was doing, and headed over to Kaiba's desk.
 
Never looking up (or being Yugi's height, looking down) from his seat, Kaiba asked, “What is it, Yugi?”
 
“Kaiba, we're going to have a Christmas party over at my place. I was wondering if you would like to come?” Yugi asked.
 
Kaiba inwardly groaned, knowing this was coming. Why can't Yugi get the hint? “Yugi, do you remember when you asked me this same question last year?”
 
“Yeah, I do.” Yugi said.
 
“And what was my answer?”
 
Yugi was already beginning to look shot-down. “You said no.”
 
“Well.......then I guess you have my answer.” Kaiba smirked, as he continued to type.
 
Joey then jumped over to defend his friend, saying, “What's your problem, Kaiba? Is having a good time more than you can handle? Is it against your reputation to show the world you might be capable of having some fun?”
 
Kaiba grunted in annoyance. “I don't waste my time on fun. I have a business to run.”
 
“What??” Joey asked. “You gotta be kidding. You're not actually keeping your business running on Christmas day!”
 
“No.....it's going to be closed.” Kaiba stated.
 
“Then what's your problem?” Joey asked.
 
Finally, Kaiba stopped typing and looked over, glaring up at Joey. “Not that it's any of your business, but there is a very important meeting for the higher executives of the company on that day. Since everyone else has the day off on Christmas, it makes the perfect day for closing the books on our End of Year accounting schedule.”
 
Tristan then came over, unable to believe what he was hearing. “You're trying to tell us that on the happiest family day of the year, you're at Kaiba Corp doing accounting work??”
 
“No.” Kaiba said sharply. “I am saying that on Christmas, which is hardly what I call the happiest day of the year for anyone, I am overseeing that my accountants and lawyers are doing an appropriate job at closing my books for me.”
 
“Well you know, Kaiba....maybe if you weren't breathing down people's backs on Christmas, it would be a more happier day for ya!” Joey spit back.
 
“Yeah, and it's not right to make any of your employees work on Christmas day!” Tea said.
 
Kaiba smirked, seeing their sense of Christmas to be so naive and delusional. “Do you honestly believe that Christmas is supposed to be this joyous day for anyone? My executives should be thanking me for making them work. Of course none of you see it, yet......after all, you haven't left school and moved into the `real world', yet. Maybe you geeks should look around once in a while. Among those adults like myself who are responsible in the world, I probably enjoy this holiday more than most.....which doesn't say much about Christmas.”
 
“What are you saying, Kaiba.......that people hate Christmas? This is a day when everyone's family enjoys the holidays. We understand you may not have much of a family, but you still have Mokuba. People enjoy Christmas. Doesn't Mokuba enjoy celebrating it?” Tea asked.
 
“Keep my family out of it.” Kaiba hissed dangerously. “People do not enjoy the holidays. They `dread' the holidays. After Thanksgiving, for the next three weeks they are running around spending most of the money they had saved up during the year on worthless gifts and toys for greedy children that don't appreciate it. Why? Because Christmas advertising guilted them into thinking that if they don't, then they are terrible parents. They are constantly fighting through crowds of other people to find gifts that might have already been sold out. They then make it home to fight with the lighting and cheap decorations to once again make their ungrateful children happy. Let's not forget the hours of wrapping they had to do if they don't spend a few hours in line at the mall gift wrapper. When Christmas day comes, they are constantly cleaning up after the kids, who unwrapped and threw their packing everywhere. The wife works and slaves over a stove most of the day cooking for them, as the rest of the family fights with their in-laws who they never wanted to see again. So, I'm afraid most of the world isn't exactly cheering for Christmas......they're cheering for Christmas to be over with.”
 
“You know, you have got the be the most moodiest pessimistic jerk I have ever seen!” Joey snapped at him. “And maybe you can tell us `Mr. know it all' how the hell you know this, when the only family you have to deal with is Mokuba? Especially, when all those other things you mentioned you can just hire to do for you!”
 
Kaiba turned back to laptop now, answering, “Simple. I hear the same thing every year from over 90 percent of my employees.”
 
“You know, Kaiba.....one of these days, you're going to regret your words and the decisions you made around these times.” Tea said. “You're going to look back and wish you joined your friends on the holidays, and had fun with us!”
 
Kaiba shook his head, then turned to them dangerously. He hissed, “How many times do I have to tell you people.....” His voice then boomed out, “I'm not interested in friends!!! Now, take your damn friendship group, and get out!”
 
Yugi's group rushed away from Kaiba's yelling. After they were gone, Kaiba smiled. `Finally, peace and quiet....' He even got a bonus with this moment.....he got to scare the wits out of Yugi's little group.