Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Kaiba’s Christmas Carol ❯ Chapter 5: Christmas Present ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5: Christmas Present
 
Kaiba groaned tiredly as he heard noises just outside his door. Was this night ever going to end?
 
`I might as well get this over with.' he thought and wearily got out of bed. He approached the door once again, that showed light around the cracks of the door and opened it. And the instant he looked in, he felt sick to his stomach.
 
There before him was a huge fat man dressed in a royal red robe, similar to what he and Mokuba had once worn during the psycho days when Gozaburo was still alive. And just to add insult to injury, this over-bloated man with thick reddish hair seemed to be picking up a whole chicken with his bare hands and diving into it with his mouth. After cleaning the meat off of it in seconds flat, 1/2 the chicken seemed to be left stuck in his beard.
 
Strangely, it reminded him of how Wheeler eats at lunch during the day......but even he isn't that bad.
 
Kaiba crossed his arms, looking sickly at him as he snapped, “There's a thing called table manners. You really should look it up.”
 
The ghost looked over at him and swallowed what was left in his mouth. “Sorry, I missed dinner. I didn't think I'd disturb you.”
 
“May I point out that my mahogany floors were just polished today. You better not make a mess on them with your `lack of eating' skills. And if you needed to eat first, you should have done so before you showed up here. I could have used the extra rest.” Kaiba coldly chided.
 
The ghost simply laughed merrily and snapped his fingers, causing the food to vanish. “My.....I didn't realize you were in such a rush. Then let's get to business, shall we?”
 
Kaiba shrugged, looking away. “Whatever. Just make sure to wash your face first. I don't even want your spirit world to see me associating with you, looking like that.”
 
The ghost snapped his fingers again, making himself instantly clean. “My.....what a harsh judgment you have over others.”
 
“I take it as a see it.” Kaiba replied. “I also don't appreciate being woken up, constantly.....I do have an important meeting tomorrow.”
 
“Well.....this shouldn't take too long.” the ghost said. “Now, you've seen your past.....it is now time to see your present.”
 
Kaiba replied, “I'm more than aware of my present. I can't imagine you showing me something I don't already know.”
 
“You may be surprised.....there's quite a lot to see. There's quite a lot you're missing. Let us begin with the employee you fired, because the man cared for his family first over your business.” Christmas present waved his hand, and they were then standing inside of a small 3-bedroom house.
 
Kaiba glared over at him. “So, now the ghosts are going to attempt to place judgment against me, because I fired someone who was nothing but a liability to our business? Let me tell you something.....unlike you undead phantoms, I have a business to run and a life to live. I'm also not the only business in Domino City, which I'm sure would also be more than happy to fire someone who takes advantage of what's been offered to them.”
 
“His child was sick, have you no sympathy?”
 
“First of all.....one of them already took off of work to take care of the matter. They didn't both have to take off. Secondly, this was one offense of `many' he had done. We have been more than generous with this man, and still that wasn't good enough. He got what he deserved.” Kaiba replied.
 
Christmas Present stated, “A family with a sickly child may have no choice but to take off many days.”
 
“Once again.....they have two people in that family.” Kaiba stated. “It's not my fault if they don't delegate themselves well. Secondly.....I don't care. It's not my problem. If they want a charity organization, they should talk to the Salvation Army.”
 
Suddenly, Kaiba was distracted from his talk, hearing 3 kids come running and screaming passed them. They were triplets about 9 years old, and Kaiba had to put his hands in front of his ears to dampen the noise from them. Then, an older girl about 14 came in holding a baby and yelling at the others to quiet down. She pulled out a baby bottle to heat it up.
 
As the girl pulled the bottle from the fridge, Kaiba could see that didn't have much inside. Then the mother came in, carrying what looked like a 5 year old, but was probably closer to 7....he was sick and frail, making him smaller than he should be.
 
Kaiba looked confused. “You.....did say we were going to see something that had to do with my present life, correct?”
 
“That is right.” the fat man smiled.
 
“So, where the hell are we? And what does this have to do with me?” Kaiba asked.
 
“Be patient, Kaiba.....you'll see soon enough.” Christmas present told him.
 
He glared at the bloated spirit, not liking to have to wait for anything. But then Bob Elliot entered the room, which instantly made it all clear to him. This must be Bob's family.
 
He kissed his wife, and together they made oatmeal for breakfast. Everyone grumbled, not wanting oatmeal again.
 
“Look, guys.” Bob said to them. “Your mother and I just recently lost our jobs, and with the hospital bills....it's about all we can afford.”
 
“I thought you and mom had upgraded to that new HMO?” the oldest girl asked.
 
“We did.” Mom said. “But, with our jobs gone.....we can't afford the insurance. It's too expensive.”
 
Kaiba tuned out the rest of the conversation, and glared over at the ghost. It was obvious what this whole visit was about. He gave a cold sneer at the spirit, and replied, “Hmph.....serves them right. When they don't do their jobs, they obviously get fired for it.....even the wife. So, maybe you should have brought her boss down to see this too, in some lame attempt at sympathy. It only proves my point....no employer is just going to let their workers sit around and waste company time. No one.....not me, and not anyone else. And if you thought for one moment this was going to move me in some way.....you're obviously mistaken.”
 
“Have you no heart?” the man asked. “That kid could have been anyone. It could have been the young boy who saved you and your brother time and time again. It could have been your brother.”
 
“Don't even think of trying to use Mokuba against me like some kind of a weapon! It's not going to work!” Kaiba snapped. “I struggled all my life to ensure that my brother was kept safe. No one ever offered us sympathy, nor did I ever want it!”
 
“Is that why you refuse to help him? Because no one ever offered you help?” Christmas Present asked.
 
“Is there something you didn't hear?” Kaiba asked. “I also said I didn't want it. How convenient that you only hear what you want to hear.” Kaiba then smirked, asking, “So, what exactly are you expecting from me out of this? Did you think I'd honestly just cave and give this worthless excuse for a person his job back? Maybe you think I'd give him a raise and pay for his hospital expenses....”
 
Christmas present smiled. “Why, that's very kind and generous of you there, Kaiba. I didn't think you had it in ya!”
 
“I don't.” Kaiba snapped. “If you think for one minute I plan to do anything for this man, then you're obviously sorely mistaken.”
 
“But, Kaiba.....even when he was working for you, he and his wife just barely made ends meet!” Christmas present argued.
 
“They have 6 kids. They were well aware of their financial limitations. Just because the guy can't keep it in his pants, and the mother never learned what birth control is......that doesn't make it my problem. I didn't sleep with her....why should I have to support her?” Kaiba snapped.
 
The man nodded, “It is true that their money problems began after the kids were born.....but no one could have predicted she'd end up having triplets.”
 
“But, they had 3 more, besides that. It's fine if they want kids.....but they also have to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions.” Kaiba replied.
 
“But, there was no way to know one would become sick with a rare illness.” Christmas present stated.
 
“It's a moot point.” Kaiba said. “If they stopped after the triplets, they wouldn't be in this mess....they wouldn't have had to worry about a sick kid, because he wouldn't have been born.” Kaiba gave a smirk. “You still seem to believe I might offer some show of pity. It's not going to happen. I too had a kid to raise....my own brother. I have been struggling all my life for him. And unlike that loser you're making me watch....I succeeded.”
 
“Yes....you're brother Mokuba. Why don't we see what the present has to show about him.....”
 
Before Kaiba knew what had happened, Christmas Present waved his robe in front of Kaiba's eyes. And when his robe dropped, they were now standing in the home of Yugi Motou.
 
It was painful for Kaiba to even look at the place.....the entire household oozed of Christmas decorations and cheer. It made him almost as ill as watching the fat man eat.
 
They seemed to be going through picture albums and laughing over cheerful events, when the doorbell rang. Everyone looked over, surprised to hear it. After all.....everyone they knew was already there.
 
“I'll get it!” Yugi called.
 
“Who do ya think's at the door?” Joey asked.
 
Tea shrugged. “I don't know. I mean....we're all here, and Bakura said he couldn't make it.”
 
“Yeah, and the only other person Yugi invited was Kaiba.” Tristan said. He then suddenly paled, muttering, “You don't think…”
 
“Yeah....right.” Joey laughed. “Like Kaiba would ever show up here.”
 
“Joey's right. Its probably just Christmas Carolers.”
 
“Really??” Joey said, all smiles. “Oh, that's cool.....I've never seen people out singing on Christmas! I always wanted to see that!”
 
“Well, too late.....Yugi already almost at the door.” Tristan said.
 
Joey looked over, then cried, “Wait!!” and leaped out of the chair after Yugi.
 
Just as Yugi had half-opened the door, he was quickly shoved out of the way from Joey, as he stuck his head out, saying, “I wanna see the singing!!”
 
What he saw was Mokuba blinking and staring up at him, strangely. “Uh.....Joey?”
 
“Hey, you aint a Christmas Caroler! Uh.....are ya?” Joey asked.
 
“No....” Mokuba said.
 
“Joey!” Yugi cried, moving him out of the way. “Sorry about that, Mokuba. I think Joey had too much Eggnog.”
 
“That's okay.” Mokuba smiled. “I'm here for the party, if that's okay with you.”
 
“That's great!” Yugi said, opening the door. “We're glad you could make it.”
 
Joey asked, “So where's yer brother?”
 
“Seto isn't coming.”
 
“What?” Joey asked. “He made you come by yourself?”
 
“He didn't make me. I wanted to come. Seto's always hated Christmas.” Mokuba replied.
 
Christmas present looked at Kaiba. “You didn't even go to at least drop him off?”
 
Kaiba crossed his arms in defiance. “Mokuba is not your typical 13 year old. He's also the Vice President of Kaiba Corp. I think he can handle doing this on his own, especially with the limo driver taking him.”
 
And just as Kaiba stated so, the limo driver approached, saying, “Excuse me, Master Mokuba.....don't forget your tree and presents.” holding both.
 
“Presents!!” Joey beamed, as he quickly moved in, grabbing the presents from the guy.
 
Mokuba laughed, saying, “Thanks, Paul. I'll call you when I'm ready to leave.”
 
“I'm not sure I should leave you, Master Mokuba.” the driver said. “The storm's getting worse....and even with the snow tires, I'd fear getting back.”
 
At that, Yugi smiled, “It's all right. We have plenty of room. Mokuba can stay in the spare bedroom, if it gets too bad out.”
 
“But, sir.....what of Master Kaiba?”
 
Mokuba shrugged, “Don't worry about it. Seto won't notice I'm not there. He doesn't like to be disturbed around this time, so it'll be all right. If I have to stay the night and you still can't come by morning, I'll try to remember to call Seto and let him know. But, really.....he'll be so busy, he probably wont even notice.”
 
Christmas present glared at Kaiba, who seemed surprised by this. At the mention of snow, he had looked out Yugi's window and noticed how hard it was getting. He didn't realize it had begun to snow at all, so consumed in trying not to pay attention. “How could he say that?” Kaiba muttered. “I'm always focused on him.....”
 
“Are you?” Christmas Present asked. “Your brother seems quite used to how you are.”
 
Kaiba turned towards him, and snapped, “That's only around now! I never stay away from him, otherwise! He knows that!”
 
“Only around now? So, what makes this time so different than any other time?” Christmas Present asked.
 
“That's none of your business! You want answers.....go talk to that lady friend of yours, Christmas Past!” Kaiba hissed coldly.
 
As Kaiba argued, Yugi helped Mokuba out of his coat and showed him to where the party was set in the living room.
 
Joey snapped, “That lousy bastard can't even take time off to spend with his brother. What the hell kind of brother is that?”
 
Ignoring Joey, Tea asked, “So Mokuba, why did you bring a tree?”
 
“Oh. Well.....every year I try to get Seto to celebrate Christmas. I put up a tree. but he always makes the servants throw it out. This year he told me to get rid of it anyway I could. He then suggested I bring it here.”
 
“That prick wont even let you to put up a tree??” Joey asked.
 
“Now now, Joey.....I'm sure Kaiba has his reasons for hating Christmas.” Yugi said.
 
“Of course he does!” Joey snapped. “It's the season to be jolly, and have friends, and care for people. It figures he'd be the anti-Christ when it comes to Christmas!”
 
“Joey, that's not nice.” Tea said.
 
Kaiba snapped, “So, is this the warm and happy moments that you were supposed to be showing me? The nerd quad pretending to offer me their fake friendship, only to talk behind my back when I'm not there. Somehow, I'm not surprised. If you think this is going to make me want to join in, then you seriously need to have your head examined. Should I assume you don't have any ghostly shrinks in the spirit realm?”
 
“As usual, you try and make humor over your lack of joy during the season. Does hiding in your room from all that is merry truly make you feel good?” Christmas Present asked.
 
“What I do with my time is my business. And you and your buddies sticking your nose in my business isn't going to change anything. So, tell me.....” Kaiba stated. “Why do you do this? Do you have nothing better to do, since your dead? Do you pester every big businessman you can on Christmas Eve?”
 
The ghost waved his cape and brought him back to his room. “This night is not over. You will still be visited by.....”
 
“Don't tell me.” Kaiba said, putting his hand up. He smirked, seeming amused now. “As I've said before.....I've seen this tacky story. So, I'm supposed to be playing the part of Scrooge then, am I?”
 
Kaiba then laughed, saying, “Well, humbug. You can take your preaching, and guilt trips, and shove it up every one of your ghostly asses. And don't think I don't know the outcome of this and where you're going. Christmas Future is going to show up and threaten my life. Well, let your pal know that he try all he likes.....he wont be the first, and he certainly wont be the last. He also won't be the first to attempt to predict my future. I've changed my fate before....so whatever he has to show me doesn't mean a thing to me. And even if he's right and I'm destined to die.....I don't care. I've prepared for that, too. Death doesn't scare me. So, tell him he can throw his worst at me.....it's not going to work.”
 
Christmas Present looked sadly at Kaiba, saying, “I've never said this to anyone before. But, I feel sorry for you....”
 
“Save the pity speech for someone who cares.” Kaiba said.
 
Christmas Present then vanished, and all was back to normal.