Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Kaiba’s Christmas Carol ❯ Chapter 7: Resolution ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7: Resolution
 
Kaiba's eyes shot open, confused over his surroundings. Was he still in the future? Was he still dreaming?
 
That's when he realized that the alarm was going off in the background. Did that wake him up or did his alarm do it?
 
As he sat up, he realized he was still in his pajamas and never got dressed. He looked into his drawer where the liquor and pills were and they didn't look tampered with last night. Did any of that happen, at all?
 
Kaiba then got up and looked out the window, which showed no sign of snow. The sun was shining bright out this morning. He could also tell there were Christmas lights shining on people's homes, despite it no longer being dark out.
 
He gave a slight chuckle, now thinking on the stupidity of his dream. `Mokuba losing it and hating Christmas. What a ridiculous dream. I can't believe I almost believed it.'
 
Shaking his head, he agreed to himself to ban all Christmas shows in his house, and then went to the bathroom to get ready.
 
Kaiba came downstairs to the kitchen, now dressed and ready for his meeting with his accountants and lawyers, ready to see Mokuba at the table.
 
Mokuba still looked downcast; as he put his cereal on the table and sat down to eat. He glanced up at Kaiba, saying, “Good morning, Seto. Merry Christmas.”
 
“Hmph.” Kaiba muttered back, moving to his coffee. Mokuba didn't find it very surprising.
 
He sat down with his toast, coffee, and paper to read. But instead of calmly reading the front page, Mokuba found him looking through page after page for something specific.
 
“Seto.....is something wrong?” he asked.
 
“Where's the weather report for today?” he asked.
 
Mokuba said, “Unless it's something serious, it's normally farther back.” He took a bite of his cereal, adding, “It's supposed to be a good day today. Very little snow, I hear.”
 
Kaiba found the weather report, and sure enough it....showed no sign of a snowstorm. `I was right. It was just a stupid dream....nothing more.'
 
As they ate at the table, Mokuba next noticed his brother seemed even quieter than usual. He turned to him, saying, “Seto.....is something wrong?”
 
“No.” he said immediately. But, after another moment, he looked over towards Mokuba, as if wanting to ask him something, but hesitant to do so.
 
“Are you sure?” Mokuba asked.
 
Kaiba looked down, muttering, “I just wanted to be sure. I mean.....you understand just because I don't like this holiday, that doesn't mean I expect you to also be against it, right?”
 
“Well, yeah. Actually....I don't know.” Mokuba said, sounding surprisingly uncertain. He looked away, adding, “I mean.....you never like me having a tree, here.”
 
“I don't like seeing the tree.” Kaiba said. “It doesn't mean......”
 
Kaiba stopped and turned away, saying, “Listen. If you want a tree in your room, I wont have a problem with it. As long as it's away from me, I don't mind.”
 
Mokuba looked surprised. “You mean.....I could keep the tree?”
 
“In your room.” Kaiba added.
 
“Thanks, big brother!” Mokuba said, hugging him.
 
Despite his brother's hug, that didn't make him feel any better. Did Mokuba honestly think he was pushing his beliefs on him? Could his dream have any truth in it, after all?
 
x-x-x-x-x-x-x
 
Kaiba made sure he had everything for the meeting and headed to work, despite his growing inner conflicts. He refused to believe that his dream had any significance with real life. He never believed dreams or nightmares had any real meaning before.....so, why change now?
 
Kaiba entered the meeting area as smoothly as ever, and began his talk with those that worked for him. Kaiba then sat down, allowing his head accountant to speak.
 
After the accountant was done with his speech, his lawyer next pulled out a folder to state some concerns on certain accounting aspects, as Kaiba calmly listened.
 
As he did, Kaiba noticed out of the corner of his eye one of his accountants had suddenly taken his phone out and moved away from the table to make a phone call.
 
“Mr. Sanders.....is there something you find more important than this meeting, that requires you to interrupt it for a phone call?” he asked coldly, not entirely pleased with the sight before him.
 
He turned, saying, “Please forgive me, Mr. Kaiba. I just noticed the snow and thought I should warn my wife. She's supposed to be heading to work around now.”
 
“Snow?” Kaiba asked, and turned to look out the window......as well as the others who weren't paying attention. The snow coming down was massive and looked like it had no intention on yielding anytime soon. If it kept up, it could cause some serious road conditions.
 
Kaiba just blankly stared at the snow, feeling a sudden dread coming over him. `Could that dream be real?'
 
“That's strange....” his head accountant said. “It wasn't even supposed to snow today.”
 
His lawyer chuckled. “Since when are the weathermen ever right?”
 
At that moment, Kaiba stood up so abruptly, it caught everyone off guard. He grabbed for his coat, saying, “We're delaying the book closings until tomorrow.”
 
“Sir??” the head account said in shock, everyone looking at him as if they hadn't heard him clearly.
 
Kaiba put his coat on, stating, “There's nothing that pressing with the book closings that can't allow us to delay this for another day.” He pointed as his main accountant, adding, “Reschedule it for tomorrow. Inform my secretary so that she can schedule it for the best time. Gentlemen....”
 
Kaiba paused, then replied, “.....Merry Christmas.”
 
“Uh.....yes.....” they muttered, blankly.
 
Finally, Roland stood at attention and bowed, saying, “Merry Christmas, Mr. Kaiba!”
 
The others immediately followed suit, bowing to him in respect. He offered a nod back to them in return. He then abruptly turned, causing his coat to whirl almost dramatically as he left the office.
 
Kaiba left in a rush to his car. He wasn't sure if it was all true or not. The idea of Mokuba changing so drastically still seemed almost unrealistic to him. Was that dream a warning or a personal threat to him to change?
 
Well, Kaiba had no intention on changing for anyone. But, that didn't mean he wouldn't do all in his power to try and prevent what he had seen from happening with his brother, either.
 
`Maybe I did fail him.' he thought, remembering Mokuba following the same path he had. And why? Because Kaiba allowed himself to be too focused during Christmas on his own angst, then remembering that Mokuba was his top priority anytime of year, no matter what. `But, it wont happen again.....'
 
x-x-x-x-x-x-x
 
Joey sputtered, “That lousy bastard can't even take time off to spend with his brother? What the hell kind of brother is that?”
 
Ignoring Joey, Tea asked, “So Mokuba, why did you bring a tree?”
 
“Oh. Well.....Seto doesn't exactly like having Christmas trees or decorations in our house. But, he did suggest that I bring it here for you guys!” Mokuba smiled, making it sound like Kaiba was being generous.
 
“That prick wont even let you to put up a tree??” Joey asked.
 
“Now now, Joey.....I'm sure Kaiba has his reasons for hating Christmas.” Yugi said.
 
“Of course he does!” Joey snapped. “It's the season to be jolly, and have friends, and care for people. It figures he'd be the anti-Christ when it comes to Christmas!”
 
“Joey, that's not nice.” Tea said.
 
“Don't you talk about my brother, that way!” Mokuba snapped. “He does care about me. Even if he does disagree with the holidays, he was willing to even let me keep it and set it up in my room today if I wanted to, despite how he feels about it!”
 
“Oh, yeah?” Joey asked. “Well, if that's the case, then why did you bring it here?”
 
Mokuba then smiled, saying, “Because Seto doesn't understand. Christmas isn't about selfishly hoarding it in my room where no one else can see it. It's about sharing it with others.....that's why I didn't want it in my room.”
 
Tea gushed, “That is so sweet!”
 
Joey sniffed, “Man, kid.....you can put tears to my eyes.”
 
“Master Kaiba, if you're all settled....I'm going to have to leave now, before the storm gets any worst.” the driver said.
 
“I hope it's not too late, now. It's gotten really bad!” Yugi said.
 
At Yugi's utterance of the storm getting worst, the others then joined the driver Paul at the door to look at the outside snow. “Wow.” Mokuba said, beginning to feel concern for his driver. “Are you sure you'll be okay?”
 
The driver smiled, saying, “I'll be okay.” and headed to the other side of the car.
 
Just then, everyone turned to see a lone figure standing out in the unforgiving snow, facing the group. Joey and Tristan both cringed behind Yugi, thinking it was a ghost. Even the driver turned, startled at the figure that seemed to mysteriously arrive out of the cover of the storm.
 
“Who's there?” Yugi asked suspiciously. After all, who'd even be crazy enough to be walking in this?
 
The figure came closer and to everyone's surprise, it was Kaiba carrying two grocery bags of stuff.
 
“Master Kaiba!” the driver said in shock, not expecting to see the boss show up here. Everyone else was equally surprised. In fact.....it left them speechless.
 
Kaiba shook the snow from his hair, reaching where the driver was. Never taking his eyes from Yugi's group, he muttered to him, “Good luck getting back. My car ended up stuck a few block's down. I suggest you stay on the most plowed roads you can. If you find a salt truck, stay behind him.”
 
“Yes, sir.” the man bowed, then went into his car and slowly drove away.
 
Mokuba then raced to his brother, giving him a big hug. “Big brother! What are you doing here? I thought you didn't want to come to Yugi's Christmas party!”
 
“I don't.” Kaiba snapped, glaring at Yugi. “I didn't do this for them.” Kaiba then looked down at his brother and smiled. “I did this for you.”
 
“Seto......” Mokuba said, not sure what else to say.
 
He then gave Mokuba a smirk, saying, “Besides.....I knew with a storm this bad, there was no chance that you were going to make it back tonight. And there's no way I'm trusting you alone with these losers.”
 
“Losers??!!” Joey snapped. “Why you lousy.....mph!!”
 
Tristan quickly blocked Joey's mouth, saying cheerfully, “Remember, Joey....it's Christmas. Be nice.”
 
“Come on, let's get inside.” Yugi said. “You must be freezing, walking all this way.”
 
x-x-x-x-x-x-x
 
They all went inside, as Kaiba shook the snow off his coat, before taking it off and hanging it up on a coat rack.
 
Mokuba said, “Seto.....you know, now that you showed up, you're going to be stuck here, too.”
 
“That's fine, I brought my laptop.” Kaiba said, causing a sweat to drop on everyone else.
 
Kaiba then handed one of the bags to Mokuba, saying, “I have some additional covers for you, so you can be more comfortable while you're sleeping over.”
 
“They're for you too, right?” Mokuba asked.
 
Kaiba shrugged, muttering, “Whatever.” really having no intention on sleeping tonight anyway at some stranger's house. Thus.....the reason he brought his laptop.
 
He then handed the other bag to Yugi, saying, “Here. There was no time to wrap them, but I figured its tradition to offers gifts to a party, nonetheless.”
 
Everyone's jaw dropped. Yugi smiled, saying, “Thanks....you didn't have to do that.”
 
“I know.” Kaiba replied.
 
Joey finally picked his jaw up, sputtering, “You got us gifts for the party?? You???? Who `are' you??”
 
Kaiba gave Joey a glare, shutting him up quick.
 
“Anyone want some eggnog?” Tea asked, in an attempt to once again liven up the party.
 
Kaiba ignored her, turning to see that Tristan was starting to put up Mokuba's tree. He stared at it for a moment, remembering the part of the dream with Christmas past......the part with him and his parents. It was the main reason he always tried to avoid Christmas like the plague. Every time he looked at a tree, it made him think of only painful memories. Even if he was here for Mokuba, he couldn't help but feel sad over the loss of his parents. How could Christmas ever feel good to him, when all it did was remind him of pain and death?
 
“So, Kaiba......” Joey said, snapping him out of his nostalgic thoughts for the moment. “I always wanted to ask you this. Why do you hate Christmas so much?”
 
“That's none of your business.” Kaiba said.
 
He then looked back at the tree and saw a sight he probably hadn't seen in years.....maybe something he hadn't ever seen at all.
 
Mokuba was now there at the tree, helping to hang ornaments with Tristan. His brother was smiling and laughing, and looked so happy.
 
That instant, Kaiba's eyes widened in realization. He didn't have to avoid Christmas at all to hide from the pain. Through his brother's happiness, he could remove the looming shadow he'd always seen over this holiday, and end up instead creating good memories of their own.
 
Kaiba then added to his response. “Besides......maybe it's not so bad, after all.”
 
“Really?” Joey asked.
 
A hint of a smile then grew on his face, as he saw Mokuba pick up the star and look up at the top of the tree, trying to figure out how to get it up there.
 
Kaiba stood and approached his brother. He surprised Mokuba, as he picked him up, allowing his brother to put the star on.....just as he remembered his Dad doing for him, back when he once enjoyed this merry day.
 
Yugi smiled as he watched the scene in front of him. Though Kaiba was still the same person, there was something small that seemed to change in him. He didn't know how......but somehow Kaiba seemed to have finally found the joy of Christmas.
 
End
 
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Kagome Mokuba and Clarity2199!!