Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Lady of Dragons ❯ Musashi, Troop Commander ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

EDITOR'S NOTE: Before we begin… yes, folks, this is another story that ignores the Pharaoh's Memories and Ceremonial Battle arcs. Not to mention GX. I like both series, but they really didn't leave a lot of room for after-the-storyline fan fiction, did they?
 
“War is an art and as such is not susceptible to explanation by fixed formula.”
 
- General George S. Patton
 
CHAPTER TWO: MUSASHI MITSERUGI
TROOP COMMANDER
 
 
Today was the big day. The 16th Annual Battle City tournament was about to begin. Although it was never scheduled, a reunion was held every year before it was officially opened.
 
Yugi Motoh, Tea Motoh, and their young son Derik were leaning against the front steps of the Kaiba Corp Building, waiting for the announcement.
 
Yugi had changed quite a bit in ten years. The spikes of his trademark hairstyle had been shortened but still visible, and only two of the golden bangs remained, sweeping from slightly left of the center, one tucked behind each of his ears. Tea, on the other hand, had changed very little. The only difference was that her hair was now slightly above the shoulder length.
 
One look at Derik and you could see where he got the genes for his hair. Parted in the middle, a set of golden streaks framed a dark background, but he had his mother's confident and supportive eyes.
 
Seeing so many familiar faces made Yugi smile.
 
Mako Tsunami was working with the Japanese Coastguard, and had a daughter of his own in the tournament.
 
Rex Raptor had no other family with him, but was working on becoming a boxer; for now, though, he was the bouncer at a fairly sleazy nightclub.
 
One face that was not around, thank goodness, was Weevil Underwood. He had been arrested a short while back on charges of fraud and industrial sabotage.
 
Mokuba was still in college, studying to be a mechanical engineer, and he finally cut his hair.
 
Marik Ishtar was not present, but certainly remembered. Although not the best of friends, he and Yugi finally seemed to tolerate each other now.
 
Although he was lost in thought, Tea managed to get Yugi's attention. "Do you think something happened? Mai isn't the greatest driver in the world."
 
Yugi managed to chuckle, "Don't worry, they aren't late yet."
 
Joey had become a father for the second time just a week before. Mai was fresh out of the hospital, but they had a son competing in the tournament as well, and neither Joey nor Mai would let him down.
 
As if right on cue, a blue van honked from down the street, and Mai stepped out to greet the two. "Yugi, Tea, great to see you again!” she shouted as she ran up, hugging them both. Mai was dressed a lot more modestly than in her tournament years. She was a top designer now, and still looking to move up the corporate ladder.
 
The reunion was interrupted by a familiar - and very out of place - Brooklyn accent. "Hey, Mai, you can't leave me with the baby! I don't exactly have the equipment to feed her, you know!"
 
Blushing guiltily, Mai headed back to the car, as Joey stepped out carrying his son "piggy-back." Unlike many of the others, Joey had pretty much stayed the same - still the same old goofball with the carefree attitude. Derik's face lit up as he saw the new arrivals, and he walked forward to talk to the boy riding on Joey's back.
 
Yugi, however, spoke to him first. "Hey, Peter, are you all ready for the tournament?" Peter nodded and smiled excitedly.
 
Mai had now returned carrying a baby girl, Isabelle, in her arms. "Well I should hope so," she replied. "I taught him everything he knows."
 
Peter flashed his mother a smile before answering the question on his own. "Yeah, Dad just bought me some new Warrior cards for my birthday."
 
Joey beamed for a second, but the proud moment was short lived.
 
"And Mom got me these new Wind monsters,” Peter continued, “I don't know what deck to use!"
 
Joey shot a glare at Mai. Although not wanting to argue over their son, both of the parents wanted to have their own strategy used for his deck. Mai simply looked the other direction to avoid the accusing stare.
 
Tea took the initiative and spoke up herself. "What is your favorite type of card?"
 
Peter thought for a second before replying, "Dragons." Joey chuckled to himself; it had to be dragons, didn't it.
 
Derik, eager to show off his own deck, began flipping through it for Peter.
 
Joey happened to get a glimpse himself, and his heart sank. Yugi had been left the game shop by his Grandpa after he had passed away, along with his entire collection. Joey had, of course, been offered some of the cards himself, but had refused. Yugi and his family had the resources to make any deck with any strategy that could be thought up. Joey had given up a whole paycheck for those warriors.
 
Hearing his name called brought Joey back to Earth. "I think we have two of the finalists right here," Yugi observed in a whisper only Joey could hear.
 
Joey silently agreed. Derik and Peter were best friends, and they had dueled many times, but this would be a challenge to the both of them.
 
The scene caused Yugi tp remember and miss his old friend once again. Some time ago, Shadi had asked him if he was willing to return the Millennium Puzzle to him. Yugi realized that it was no place for an ancient pharaoh to share the body of a young boy, and Yami had a destiny of his own. It was a terrible day for them all, but Yami said that he would return if he were needed.
 
Tea had a sorrowful look on her face. She knew what was going through her husbands' mind.
 
The speakers suddenly blared as the announcements began. "Ladies and gentlemen, the 16th Annual Battle City Tournament will now begin!" The doors of the Kaiba Corp building was immediately flooded with duelists all waiting to buy the new Duel Disk 9.0. Many of them had reserved one months in advance, but the others had to just hope to be lucky. Ninety-six duel disks were on sale, and if you made it through the screening process, and there were any left, you bought one, but the screening process was even more elaborate for the reserved copies.
 
Yugi's group walked to the back where both of their duel disks were waiting. Joey thanked Yugi along the way. These new models of the duel disk were expensive; even Mai's salary couldn't have been spent on one without stretching their budget a little.
 
The duel disks themselves were similar to the original models that Kaiba had brought with him to Duelist Kingdom. The monster zones were five gray squares set in a pentagon formation, marked with black rectangles for marking positions of the cards. In the center was a sixth card-size rectangle for the optional Deck-Master setting. Around the rings of the disk were slits for magic and trap cards, each with its own activation button. The field one had a light green rim of paint around the slot, so it would not cause confusion. Almost the entire product was a bright crimson, except for the white trim.
 
The disk also came with a wristband with digital life point readout with two storage compartments. On top of the wrist was the draw pile, and on the underside of the wrist was storage for the graveyard. Unlike the older model, this duel disk had no deed to be thrown.
 
Demonstrators showed the duelists-to-be that the bottom of the disk had a retractable stand built into the bottom. The demonstration was cut short, however, when a blue limousine pulled up to the building, and Seto Kaiba himself walked to the top of the stairs. Isis was with him, already seeking a challenger.
 
Kaiba gave Yugi a brief glance of recognition before stepping up to a podium to announce the regulations of the tournament. Briefly clearing his throat, he began, not expressing any welcome but getting right to the chase.
 
"Duelists of the 16th Annual Battle City Tournament!" Kaiba began. "Duelists have been given a locator card with their duel disk as always. A duelist may wager any number of cards on a single duel, but regardless of the number you possess, any loss will eliminate you from the tournament.
 
“This year, the number of locater cards necessary to enter the finals is twelve, and you have one week to collect them.
 
“A winning duelist has the right to claim one card from a defeated opponent's deck as a prize. If the card happens to be a Ritual monster, or another monster that is summoned through the use of a magic card, excluding Fusion monsters, the summoning card is included in the prize.
 
“Fusion monsters may attack on the turn they are summoned.
 
“And one more thing: there is a list of cards posted on the door of this building - anyone using a card on this list is instantly disqualified. May the best duelist win!"
 
The crowd began to disperse excitedly as Kaiba finished his speech. Yugi watched as Derik and Peter ran off to find opponent. Kaiba just shot him a cold glare as he again entered his limo and was gone.
 
0000000
 
Peter split down the road and headed for the Domino Museum. That was always a good spot to track down duelists in the area. Sure enough, a duel was already being brought to a close as he arrived. A holographic projection of a vicious looking general, clad in armor, was swinging a final blow at what appeared to be a Millennium Shield, courtesy of a Stop Defense.
 
Peter knew this kid well. Musashi Mitserugi was the most recent regional champion. He was known for his Warrior cards, and was the reason Peter didn't use them himself. His personal favorite card was Freed the Matchless General. By the looks of the duel, he had been able to summon it.
 
As Peter watched on, he saw Musashi slipping through his opponent's deck, and choosing a card from it. Peter could see was that it was a Total Defense Shogun, a card that he would have to watch out for. He had made up his mind; Musashi was to be his first target of the day.
 
Musashi was looking rather pleased with himself, and cockily invited another challenger: "If anyone wishes to duel me, I have two locater cards already, who is going to give me a third?"
 
Peter held his breath for a minute before speaking up. "I'll challenge you, but don't expect any locater cards from me."
 
Musashi stared at his challenger. Peter was only about half his age, but no matter, a match was a match. Besides, Battle City ruled prevented a duelist from refusing a challenge. "Fine, challenge accepted." He quickly shuffled his cards and placed them in the compartment on his duelist wristband as the Life Point meter flickered up to eight thousand.
 
Peter grabbed his own deck from the deck attached to his belt, and extended the stand on his own disk, bringing it within easy reach.
 
The duel had now begun.
 
M-8000 P-8000
 
Musashi drew and inspected his opening hand, looking quite pleased with it. "I'll make the first move," he declared, not even giving Peter time to protest he drew a sixth card into his hand. Musashi began by sliding a card into one of the magic slots, announcing what it was. "I play the Reinforcement of the Army magic card, allowing me to add a low level warrior to my hand."
 
The holographic projectors in place on the sides of the disk whirred to life, as the disk itself began to rotate on its stand at an incredible speed. A brief glimpse of the card appeared above the field, before an old, battle-scarred warrior carrying two swords stepped out of the card. The new monster glowed for a second before shrinking and dissipating. The fading monster reformed into a card that Musashi now held in his hand.
 
Peter tried not to be distracted by the technology, and concentrated on what his opponent was doing.
 
Musashi continued, "Now I summon the monster that I just searched for, the Marauding Captain, in attack mode." (1200/400)
 
The disk stopped spinning for a second to allow the card to be played. A monster card showing the same aged soldier appeared in holographic form, before the Captain himself once again came into view, swords drawn for battle. Then unexpectedly, the holographic swordsman whistled, as another monster, an Axe Raider, came to stand beside him. (1700/1150)
 
Musashi took pride in his explanation: "Due to the Marauding Captain's special effect, when it comes into play I can summon another four-star warrior from my hand." Finishing his turn, Musashi set one card face down. Unlike the previous duel disks, the hidden card was placed upright, but with its back to Peter.
 
Drawing his first card, Peter already had his first move planned. Placing a monster on his duel disk and waiting for the hologram to appear, he informed Musashi of his play. "I summon the Luster Dragon #1 in attack mode!" (1900/1600)
 
A blue dragon made of pure crystal flew from the card, staring menacingly at its opponent.
 
Peter now had the attack advantage, and now was a good time for an attack, but the dragon was his only monster. If it was a trap that could destroy it, Musashi could not only attack, but be able to tribute for a stronger monster.
 
Checking his hand one more time, he decided to play it safe this time. "I'll end my turn by setting two cards facedown."
 
As the holograms came into view, Musashi let out an internal sigh of relief. Although he was surprised by the careful attitude of his opponent, he had the upper hand going into this next turn. Drawing his hand up to four, he already knew the plays he would make this round.
 
Catching the spinning duel disk for a moment, he tapped the flashing button nearest to the slot that contained his hidden card. "I activate the trap card Ring of Destruction!"
 
The card that so far held its back to Peter swung around as if suspended from a mobile once before settling into position, revealing itself to Musashi's opponent. A large magnetic circle began to materialize around the shiny blue Luster Dragon, drawing in several hand grenades around the rim… and leaving Peter mere seconds to react before losing his monster.
 
Peter had been waiting for a play like that, and took the opportunity to show his opponent that he knew a thing or two about strategy as he quickly triggered one of his hidden cards. "Not today," Peter declared as the trap swung around to reveal itself. "I activate the Dragon's Bead negating the effects of all traps that affect my dragons. I just need to discard a card from my hand first…"
 
The holographic card morphed and changed into a large statue of a dragon, a large green jewel glowing at the center of its forehead. The large gem briefly showed a vision of a large, green, formidable-looking dragon before an emerald-colored beam shot from it, causing the magnetic ring to dissipate.
 
"Did I forget to mention that it is a continuous trap, meaning I can negate any trap card you throw at me?" Peter explained, feeling quite proud of himself.
 
Musashi, although stunned at the maneuver, still had his turn to finish. "Very well. I tribute my Axe Raider to summon Freed the Matchless General!" Dropping to his knees, the mighty warrior burst into an explosion of white-hot triangles, quickly reassembling into a bearded knight, clad in armor and tauntingly brandishing his sword. (2300/1700) Musashi looked upon his rarest monster behind the three cards he still held.
 
Peter knew he was in trouble now. He had been hoping to end the duel before Freed ever hit the field. He was suddenly glad of the cards he now held; under other circumstances he might have been finished.
 
After a long wait, Musashi finally declared his battle phase, but not before switching his captain to defense mode. "Freed the Matchless General, attack the Luster Dragon with your Sword of Command!" Although Peter would have liked to save his dragon, the attack still went through, scarring Peter's life points in the process.
 
M-8000 P-7600
 
Although down, Peter was far from out. Drawing a third card from the wristband of his duel disk, he already had a plan to take out Musashi's Matchless General.
 
Staring his opponent down from behind his still standing Dragon's Bead statue, Peter slipped a magic card into an open slot in his rapidly spinning duel disk. "I'll use the magic card Monster Reborn, reviving the monster that I discarded through the effect of my trap card last turn. Meet my favorite monster, as well as one of my strongest. Say hello to my Luster Dragon #2!"
 
The magic card shimmered for a second, before glowing bright white and allowing a beautiful emerald colored dragon emerge from within it. (2400/1400)
 
Peter had two targets to attack, but he knew which one to chose. Not only would attacking Musashi's captain not do any damage to his life points, but Freed could easily be powered up enough to defeat his new monster. Knowing what to do, Peter declared his attack. "Luster Dragon, Emerald Shards attack - take down the Matchless General!"
 
As the Luster Dragon breathed a fierce wind with only a hint of a green tinge, several sharp green shards flew from the mighty dragon's mouth. Although they appeared to make contact, Peter saw a slight movement out of the corner of his eye. Musashi's nearly forgotten Marauding Captain shot out his hand as if commanding the larger warrior beside him to step back, then was impaled by the green spikes himself.
 
Smirking to himself, Musashi took the opportunity to explain. "I may have forgotten to mention another special feature of my Marauding Captain: while on the field it is the only legal target of all attacks against my warrior type monsters. My Freed the Matchless General is quite safe from your over-sized anniversary gift!"
 
Peter mentally slapped himself. He had seen Musashi use his Marauding Captains as a shield during the regional match not too long ago. Luckily, he still had one card facedown to hide behind. And he still could counter Musashi's traps with the Dragon's Bead card that was still in play.
 
Musashi obviously had bigger plans as he again told Peter of one of his monster's special effects. "Now I invoke the power of my Matchless General,” he said. “Instead of drawing a random card this turn, Freed can let me search my deck for a low level warrior."
 
The armor-clad warrior released a medieval horn from his belt and let out a single ringing note as another monster materialized in front of him. It was a monster that Peter recognized all too well, as another Marauding Captain shrunk back into the card that Musashi was now holding.
 
"And the fun is just beginning," Musashi continued, "I also have a Warrior Returning Alive magic card to return my other Marauding Captain to my hand, and by summoning one, I can Special Summon the other!”
 
Twin monsters emerged from their own respective cards, once again holding their swords and preparing for battle.
 
Peter stared down the three warriors and cringed. All he had was the Luster Dragon to protect him, and if that were destroyed, he would be all but done for. Peter had two cards left in his hand, and would draw another one next turn, but he needed another monster.
 
Taking a deep breath, he looked at the freshly pulled card. Well, Peter thought to himself, this could work after all. "I summon The Dragon Dwelling in the Cave in attack mode." A large and dank looking rock formation rose onto the playing field. A snort was heard and a pair of glowing eyes was seen from the darkness before the massive green monster crawled out from its hiding place. (1300/2000) "And I equip it with the Dragon Treasure magic card, giving my dragon a 300-point power boost."
 
A glowing orb fixed itself in the arch of the cave that was the dragon's home, the symbol of the dragon class itself glowing within it. (1600/2300)
 
Peter looked proud of himself. "I know that the only target for an attack is one of those captains of yours, but both of my monsters have enough attack power to take them out. So, Dragon Dwelling in the Cave," Peter commanded his monster, "attack one of Musashi's Marauding Captains!"
 
Musashi couldn't help but snicker - Peter was in over his head. "Not so fast," Musashi commanded, "watch what happens next."
 
Both of the captains held out their hands and a strange look came over the attacking dragon. It was a look of… confusion.
 
Peter gaped at the sight while Musashi continued to chuckle to himself. "Remember the ability of my captain that it is the only warrior on my field that you can attack?” Musashi pointed out. “Well, both of my captains are warriors. That means that unless you have a monster that can attack both of my monsters at once, you are unable to attack me at all, and you still have my Freed the Matchless General to worry about."
 
Peter was stunned. The ability to attack with monsters was a central part of Duel Monsters. Now he was being totally locked down. His only hope was the card that he still had facedown on the field. He was just hoping that Musashi would take the bait.
 
The warrior duelist was drawing the card to signify the beginning of his turn even as Peter's thought ended, and preparing for a killer play no doubt.
 
Peter took note that he had not used the ability of his Matchless General this turn, and that could mean that anything was possible.
 
"I summon the Warrior Dai Grepher in attack mode!" Musashi declared.
 
The hologram was of a bodyguard-like man dressed in skintight black. Like most of Musashi's other monsters, this one was also carrying a sword. This one however was bathed in a faint blue aura. (1700/1600)
 
Musashi continued, “And I'll increase his power with the Fusion Sword Murasame Blade. Not only does it strengthen the attack power of my warrior by 800 points, but it is invulnerable to being magically destroyed."
 
A smooth looking blade took the place of the one that Warrior Dai Grepher once held, an eerie violet aura emitting from it. (2500/1600)
 
Glaring over at his opponent Musashi cracked a smile of superiority. "Even your Luster Dragon can't defeat my monster now." Laughing out loud now, Musashi gave his attack order. "Warrior Dai Grepher, attack his cave dwelling dragon. Though your dragon was boosted with your Dragon's Treasure card, it still can't defeat my warrior!"
 
Peter began to crack a smile of his own, "It won't have to. Activate the trap card Burst Breath!”
 
Fire began to glow in the eyes of the Dragon Dwelling in the Cave, and it began taking a deep breath as flame started to grow in its throat.
 
"This trap,” Peter noted, “sacrifices one of my dragons and destroys all of your monsters with a defense lower than its attack power. If you think that attack is all that matters in this game, then why are you down to only one monster?"
 
The cave-dwelling dragon exhaled, firing a massive jet of flames into the enemy lines. When the smoke cleared, the dragon was gone, but only Freed was left alive on Musashi's field.
 
Musashi was sweating now; he had only one card left in his hand, and it wouldn't help him in this scenario. He reluctantly switched Freed to defense mode and ended his turn.
 
Peter was thrilled as he drew. He now had two cards in his hand, and he was willing to use them both. "I'm playing my Harpie's Brother." A young man with bright red wings flew onto the field alone; the last trap card had also taken out the Luster Dragon. That by no means meant that the new monster was any less poised for battle. (1800/600) "And just for a change in scenery, I'll activate Mountain," Peter continued.
 
As he slid the card into the disk, high holographic peaks now surrounded both duelists, raising the attack power of dragons, thunder users, and birds, Harpie's Brother included. (2000/800)
 
Eager to get back in the game, Peter launched the offensive. "Harpie's Brother, destroy Freed with your Crimson Claw attack!"
 
The blades on the harpy's arm sliced through the swordsman's armor like butter, sending Musashi's prized monster to the Graveyard.
 
Musashi began his turn by drawing a Graceful Charity card. Although he never liked to trust a victory to luck, he realized that this time he had no choice. Not even declaring the card, he watched as the holographic angel came into view presenting him with three new cards. The choices were slim, but he ditched the Gearfried that he was now holding and looked once again at his cards.
 
A Monster Reborn gazed back at him. He could easily restore his fallen general, but another one of his cards was calling to him. Discarding a second monster, he wasted no time in resurrecting the other discard.
 
"I use the Monster Reborn card to revive the most powerful monster in my deck,” Musashi shouted. “Feast your eyes on the Sword Hunter!"
 
The armor-clad masked swordsman stepped onto the field, ready and willing to fight. (2450/1600)
 
"And don't think it stops there!" Musashi continued. "I have a second Fusion Sword waiting to power up my monster."
 
The familiar blade materializing in the hunter's hand made it look all the more menacing, as well as increasing its attack power. (3250/1600)
 
"And after it takes down bird boy over there,” Musashi finished, “there will be nothing between you, and a whole lot of damage. Sword Hunter, attack the Harpie's Brother with Hunter's Slice!"
 
Peter realized that his harpy was not the only thing that Musashi's monster was slashing through; he took a load of his life points with it.
 
M-8000 P-6350
 
This was looking bad, especially since the Sword Hunter was now wearing his harpy's bladed wristband on his arm. (3450/1600)
 
Not only that, but Peter's hand was completely depleted. He only had one card that he could draw; all he could do was hope that it was a good one. And what a draw it was.
 
"I activate the Pot of Greed," Peter announced, knowing well that this could well be the last move he could make. He frowned at first at the cards he had drawn - neither one of them was the much-needed monster to defend himself from Musashi's Sword Hunter. However, these cards were the exact things he needed to catch his opponent off guard. Hoping once again that his opponent would be too wound up in winning to be cautious about attacking, he set the cards into his duel disk, the statue still containing his Dragon's Bead giving him a bit of comfort.
 
Musashi's turn once again arrived. He had control of the field and he knew it. Now all that was left was for him to take down his opponent. Musashi looked at his new draw, and a look of pure confidence washed across his face, and straight into Peter's.
 
The boy was nervous, to be sure; if the card was some kind of magic destroyer he wouldn't stand a chance.
 
"Now," Musashi stated with impending victory in his voice, "I play the card to make my Sword Hunter all but unstoppable, I've just drawn my third Fusion Sword Murasame Blade, raising the attack of my monster by another 800 points." (4250/1600)
 
Peter tried to look desperate, but the situation was almost funny - Musashi was sealing his own demise.
 
"Now, my Sword Hunter…” Musashi paused, and then snapped his fingers. “Win me this match, and attack my opponent directly!"
 
This was it, and seizing this opportunity was the easiest thing that Peter had ever had to do. He quickly triggered one of his traps just as the monster was closing in.
 
"Hold on," Peter declared as the trap went off.
 
Musashi looked horrified as a green ring started to form around his monster. "No… it can't be!" the warrior duelist said, recoiling.
 
"Did you think you were the only one to possess a Ring of Destruction trap card?" Peter smirked and rolled his eyes.
 
Musashi's expression turned from shock to one of pure smugness. "Nice work, but you still have no monsters, and this trap will make it so that the weakest of my monsters can finish you off."
 
Peter looked at Musashi with an expression of absolute defiance. "That's where my other card comes in. My other hidden card is Barrel Behind the Door, a trap that redirects any direct damage to me and transfers it to my opponent. By powering up your Sword Hunter, you only destroyed yourself. Activate Barrel Behind the Door!"
 
A giant cannon rose onto the field just as the explosive ring detonated. The shockwave sent towards Peter was instead absorbed into the cannon's barrel. Musashi could only watch in shock as the explosive energy was rocketed right back at him, knocking him off of his feet.
 
This duel was over.
 
M-0000 P-6350
 
Musashi pushed himself to his feet to give his competitor his well-earned prize.
 
Peter was stunned; he had no use for any warrior monsters in his deck.
 
To his surprise, Musashi offered to help him. "Do you happen to have a Spirit Ryu in your deck?"
 
Peter nodded.
 
"Take this one then," Musashi offered as he held out his Warrior Dai Grepher. "They can make one heck of a fusion."
 
Peter wordlessly took the card and smiled at his former opponent. "It's weird," Peter said in awe, "It's the first card I've ever won."
 
"Well it's the first card I've ever lost."
 
Both boys looked at each other for a second before bursting into laughter.
 
0000000
 
On the other side of town, Ishizu was watching a closing duel of her own. The competitor who had just been defeated looked as though he had something troubling him. Ishizu, always being the one to comfort someone, decided to stop for a chat.
 
"It's really weird," he told her when he saw Ishizu coming. "I lost fair and square, and I have a lot of powerful cards in my deck, but the guy only took my Giga-Tech Wolf. It's my favorite and all, but…"
 
All of a sudden, the duelist fell limp in Ishizu's arms. She knew then that what she felt the night before was true - there was more to this tournament than just a game.
 
0000000
 
Elsewhere in the city, the torn pieces of a Giga-Tech Wolf card were emitting an odd vapor, almost like smoke, as two figures finished a conversation. "The Millennium Items are not destined for us, and the Egyptian God Cards are out of the question," said one.
 
The other nodded and said, "Why try to control the power of the Shadow Realm when we can bring it here?"
 
Coming next chapter: The shadowy figures make their move, and their first target is Derik Motoh. The son of Yugi faces off against a woman whose deck proves that teamwork isn't always an admirable thing… More dueling to come in Chapter Three, “Marina, Mistress of Fusions”!