Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Lady of Dragons ❯ Marina, Mistress of Fusions ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil.
 
- Hannah Arendt
 
Chapter Three: Marina
Mistress of Fusions
 
Unaware of all the commotion going on nearby, Derik was looking for an opponent of his own. His dad was a big collector of the card game, and he felt proud to have based his deck around some of his favorite cards.
 
Derik's favorite story was the Battle City semi-final match between his father and Seto Kaiba. He still couldn't believe that his dad could win against such a legend, but he believed him just the same. He had asked Yugi about using the three special cards that he had won that day, but his father seemed very insistent not to let him even see them.
 
Nevertheless, he wanted to be the champion. But to do that, Derik needed someone to duel in the first place.
 
0000000
 
In another part of town, Yugi, Tea, Mai, and Joey, were sitting down in a nearby coffee shop, reliving old stories of their own.
 
"And then, Yugi used that Magical Hats card, remember?” Joey shook his head. “I ended up attacking a Spellbinding Circle trap!"
 
Joey was heading the conversation while Yugi himself seemed to be staring off into space. He missed his old friend; Yami was a big part of his life.
 
Tea turned to comfort her husband. "Yugi, I know that you miss the spirit of your Millennium Puzzle, but you have to realize that he couldn't be with you forever."
 
Yugi only gave a silent nod of recognition before being startled by a tap on the shoulder.
 
"Excuse me," a voice said in an Egyptian accent.
 
Yugi recognized the voice, one that he hadn't heard in years. He turned around to look up into an age-worn face with bright green eyes. The figure was dressed in a weather-beaten white cloak and a cloth tied into a turban around his head. Shadi had returned.
 
Mai was not so welcoming as she stood up to tell off the newcomer. "Hey, you museum reject, can't you see we're trying to have a conversation here?"
 
Joey took the initiative to bring a little something to his Mai's attention. "Uh, Mai, your boob is hanging out."
 
About to smack her husband for being so blunt, the mother of two realized what he had just said. In her rush to stand up, the rag she had been using as a screen while she was feeding her daughter fell to the floor, giving everyone a view of the snack bar. Blushing as much as almost everyone else at the table, she decided to sit down and keep quiet.
 
Shadi, acting as though the incident never happened, addressed Yugi again. "Yugi, could I speak to you alone for a moment?"
 
Realizing it must be important, Yugi was about to agree, but seeing the apprehensive looks on the rest of his friend's faces made him decide to hear Shadi's information in their presence.
 
"Very well," Shadi stated as he sat down, as though reading Yugi's mind. "There is another force at work in this tournament."
 
Everyone began to listen intently, needing to know what was going on now. There never seemed to be a normal Duel Monsters tournament anymore.
 
"The Ishtars and I have begun to feel a disturbance in the fabric of the Shadow Realm," Shadi began. "It seems that yet another individual is seeking to control its ancient powers."
 
Although it was leaving Mai behind, Tea, Joey, and Yugi understood why this could be so important.
 
"But that is impossible," Yugi interrupted, "All of the Millennium Items are accounted for, and I haven't released the Egyptian God Cards since…"
 
"That is why these people are so dangerous," Shadi continued. "They have come into the possession of an ancient scroll of Set, with incantations to harness a new power over the Shadow Realm. As you know, the shadow power is deeply connected with a person's soul; your duel with Maximillion Pegasus taught you that."
 
Yugi remembered well. The very energy of his soul was what sustained the physical form of his monsters, but he was still confused.
 
Joey seemed to ask his question for him. "Why would these people be coming here?"
 
Shadi patiently explained, "The barrier is thinnest when a duelist bonds to a specific card, a `soul card', so to speak. Yugi, your Dark Magician is a prime example of this. With the right kind of spell, the energy of the very soul can be tapped through the card itself."
 
Yugi began to understand now. "So that is why they are using the tournament!" he exclaimed. "The ante rule lets them take a player's favorite card without a fight!"
 
"Yes," Shadi explained, "But that isn't the half of it. Without a physical vessel to contain it, this soul energy cannot be controlled by a human."
 
Tea was the one to speak up this time. "Then why bother gathering a magic that they can't even use?”
 
Shadi's face became grim indeed. "They don't want the magic of the Shadow Realm; they want to release the Shadow Realm itself. If they gather enough soul energy to breach the barrier between our world and that one, the world would be consumed by the shadow's dark magic." Yugi had a look of determination now. "Do you know who these people are?"
 
Shadi rose to his feet as he turned to go. "The followers call their leader by the name of Seskera; the cult itself is codenamed the Order of Ammit. And be careful," he said, giving one last warning. "They have duelists all over this city, but they look no different from the others."
 
Tea's heart gave a lurch at this. The Rare Hunters had easily stood out in a crowd because of their trademark robes. Before leaving, Shadi had one last issue to address. "Yugi," he called, "I have a gift for you." Reaching from beneath his robes, he held out a shiny golden pyramid attached to a slightly rusted chain.
 
Yugi's eyes lit up as he quickly snatched the trinket out of Shadi's hand, and fastened it around his neck. Shadi let out a smile as he exited the small shop, just as Yugi said hello to an old friend.
 
Hello… it's been so long
 
Yes, it's good to be back, Yugi.
 
Feeling that magical energy run through him for the first time in so long, Yugi Motoh fused with his Yami once again.
 
0000000
 
On the other side of town, Derik had finally found someone else carrying a duel disk. "Hey, you want to duel?" he asked.
 
The duelist was a young lady; platinum hair fell around her shoulders ending up at her waist. Cold dark eyes stared back at Derik, meeting him with a hard gaze. Derik noticed a silver pin in the shape of an eye by her collar, not knowing that this was the mark of an Ammitite duelist. The girl didn't even bother to crack a smile - she simply loaded her deck into the wristband connected to her duel disk.
 
Derik supposed that meant a yes, and loaded his as well. "By the way, what is your name?"
 
The young lady's voice had an icy tone to it, giving no hint of feeling at all. "My name is Marina, expert of the fusion strategy and one of the top duelists for the Order of Ammit."
 
Derik, not knowing of the danger he might be in, didn't mind in the least. "I have some skill with fusing of my own, so I really don't care."
 
Both duelists drew their opening hands, and the duel began.
 
D-8000 M-8000
 
 
Marina never broke her gaze as she began the duel. "You have no idea what you have just done by challenging me. This will be your final duel."
 
Derik naively thought that she was referring to the tournament, and he had promised Peter a duel in the finals, so he only looked with confidence as Marina began her turn.
 
"I begin by setting one monster face-down in Defense Mode," Marina declared. A holographic card emerged from the duel disk that was now spinning rapidly in front of her, a question symbol marking its back.
 
Derik knew he had to be cautious; that monster could be any one of a thousand flip-effect monsters, and he didn't have anything to destroy it outright. Derik resolved to play as best he could, and deal with any unexpected surprises as they appeared. Derik set his personal favorite in place, and watched as the hologram took form. "Alright, I play Breaker the Magical Warrior!" (1900/1000) A knight in deep purple armor with a bright golden trim took the field, with a sleek sword and ornate shield in each of its hands. "Let's see what you're hiding behind card number one. Breaker, Spell Sword attack!"
 
The card concealing the hidden monster appeared to be sliced right down the middle, until the pieces took the form of a skeleton wrapped in a lavender cloak, brandishing a scythe.
 
Marina still gave no sign of emotion; she simply explained the ability of her card. "The monster is the Spirit Reaper, a monster that cannot be destroyed by attacks." (300/200)
 
Derik was discouraged at the thought of an unattackable monster, but he kept his cool and tried to make it look as though he had been expecting it all along. He still had the attack advantage, and that was all that mattered at the moment.
 
Marina, face still locked in its blank expression, picked up a new card from her duel disk and began her next turn. "Now I use the Polymerization card to fuse my spirit reaper with the Nightmare Horse, thus summoning the Reaper on the Nightmare."
 
A mummified horse appeared on the field for a brief moment before being pulled into the swirling magic of Polymerization. The Spirit Reaper went with it, and a moment later, it rode out on the horse's back. (800/600)
 
Derik could only wonder what the use of this monster could be with such a low attack power.
 
Marina decided to show him rather than try to explain. "Reaper, attack my opponent's Life Points," she said in the same monotone as everything else.
 
The shadowy monster galloped over to Derik, completely ignoring his Magical Warrior. Derik braced himself in shock as the dark rider swung down its scythe, cutting through a card in his hand.
 
D-7200 M-8000
 
"Besides the ability to pass by your monsters,” Marina added, “my Reaper on the Nightmare discards one card from your hand for every attack it makes."
 
Derik scowled as he sent his Goddess of the Third Eye to the graveyard.
 
"Now I set one card facedown and end my turn," Marina finished. Before Derik's turn began, she suddenly added, "Allow me to mention that this monster has the same ability as the Spirit Reaper. Attacking is useless."
 
Luckily, Derik had a card in his hand to turn things in his favor. He just needed a good monster. And he got one; a shiny-foiled Dark Magician card came from the top of his dueling wristband. Now he had the combination to summon it. "I activate Change of Heart, to take control of your Reaper on the Nightmare!" he declared.
 
The strange combination of angel and demon flew from the art on the holographic representation of the card, and prepared to take possession of the new monster… if the reaper hadn't burst into flames first.
 
Marina only looked at Derik with the same glazed stare. "When Reaper on the Nightmare is chosen as the target of a magic card, it self-destructs."
 
Now Derik had no second monster to tribute for his Dark Magician, but he was far from out of options. "Well, I summon the Skilled Dark Magician, then."
 
A fearsome-looking mage carrying a scepter crowned with three gems appeared in front of the duelists. (1900/1700)
 
"My monsters can still attack you directly," Derik pointed out. “Get her, Skilled Dark Magician!”
 
Marina silently triggered her trap card. "I activate Mirror Force, destroying both of your monsters."
 
The Skilled Dark Magician's attack suddenly smacked into something invisible. A glowing octagon took form before shattering. The broken pieces cut into the armor and flesh of both monsters, making them fade from the field.
 
Derik could not believe this was happening; he was being outsmarted at every turn.
 
Things were about to get worse as Marina began another turn. "I activate the power of Fusion Sage, a magic card that allows me to add a Polymerization from my deck to my hand. Now I'll use the card to fuse my Robolady and Roboyarou into Super Robolady.”
 
For a moment, a metal man and a metal woman appeared on the field. The magic of Polymerization appeared behind them, and they glowed, sliding into each other. After a moment, a rather muscular woman in pink, spiked armor emerged, red shades over her eyes, carrying a blue lance. (1200/500)
 
“She isn't much now,” the Ammitite explained, “but her attack power increases by one thousand when making a direct attack.” Marina's expression remained cold and lifeless as she gave an order to her new monster. "'Super Robolady, Electron Lance attack."
 
The spear-like weapon the futuristic woman carried glowed with a soft pink light, before a beam from it clipped Derik in the shoulder.
 
D-5000 M-8000
 
Derik was realizing in major trouble. But he began to realize a flaw in her strategy. The more cards she fused, the fewer cards she had in her hand, and the fewer options she had. He was on the way to making a comeback all right, but it would definitely not be easy. "Alright, things get serious now." Derik was in a tough spot, but not something the right monster couldn't handle. "Your Super Robolady may power itself up in a direct attack, but against a monster it only has its original twelve hundred. I summon the `Skilled White Magician!" (1700/1900)
 
This mage looked almost identical to his dark brother; however, his costume was gleaming white, as his name suggested.
 
Derik was in luck. With five cards in his hand compared to Marina's one, he had far more options than she did. He had his Dark Magician, a Jinzo, and a Gemini Elf, one trap card, and a magic card that was not yet playable. He needed another magic card for his plan to work. First and foremost, though, he needed to take out Marina's monster. "I set a card facedown, and then I attack your Super Robolady with my White Magician."
 
Marina was as expressionless as ever, as again she countered the attack. "I activate the hidden card, Negate Attack, leaving my lady as dangerous as ever."
 
Though again discouraged, Derik focused on his big objective. That Skilled White Magician was quite possibly the key to his victory.
 
Meanwhile, it was Marina's turn, and she still had a move to make. "I activate the special ability of my Super Robolady."
 
Derik did not like the sound of this; monster abilities were never a good thing to have used against you.
 
"I can return any Super Robo monster to my Fusion Deck to Special Summon its transgender counterpart,” the woman said. “Now I transform the Super Robolady into a Super Roboyarou."
 
The pink android shone brightly for a moment, switching her weapon to her other hand. The pink luster of the monster faded into blue, as the new monster now stood before them. (1200/500)
 
"Lot of good it did you," Derik commented, "That male bucket of bolts is no stronger than the last chick."
 
Marina continued to only stare with those cold blue eyes of hers. "Remember the ability of my lady to increase her attack power by one thousand when attacking directly? The Super Roboyarou does the same when battling a monster. Super Roboyarou, attack the Skilled White Magician with a Proton Lance attack."
 
The very "butch"-looking monster sneered from behind his visor as his spear began to cackle with blue static energy.
 
"Fire," Marina commanded.
 
The blue streak was aimed straight for his mage, and Derik needed some way to counter, or his plan would never work. Derik was the definition of uttermost calm until the last moment before he decided to speak up. "Congratulations, you're an idiot."
 
For the first time since the duel had begun, Marina showed a sign of recognition, in the form of the smallest of uncomfortable twitches. It was as if she had never felt what it was like to have someone get the better of her. It was a new experience, and she didn't quite know how to handle it.
 
As Derik activated the button on his Duel Disk, the trap card swung into view. "The trap you just triggered was my Magic Cylinder, which negates the attack of your monster and aims it directly at your Life Points."
 
An ornate tube decorated with a question mark materialized just in time. The blue beam of energy swung around in space as if being drawn by a black hole. Marina only watched in wonder at the hologram as it was taking place. After absorbing the attack, the first cylinder disappeared, only to be replaced by another, this time marked with an exclamation point. With the sound of an ominous foreboding, the still traveling energy shot out of nowhere, striking Marina square in the chest.
 
D-5000 M-6800
 
Marina's face seemed to be unfrozen by the attack, now not staring blankly into space, but glaring with the utmost hatred. "It was a lucky shot; don't let it go to your head. Especially since I have some time to regroup - I activate the Nightmare's Steelcage, which seals me in an environment impenetrable for either of our monsters for two full turns."
 
The steel bars burst out of the ground as though a hand was taking her into the earth itself. Through all of the commotion, she overlooked the gem on the chest plate of Derik's magician flash a faint blue for only a moment.
 
Derik's turn was up now, and with that cage in play, he needed some way to destroy it. All he got was a Spell Shield Type-8, far from unusable, but not needed at the moment. Still, it was a good idea to build up his defenses. "I set a card, and throw the Gemini Elf in Attack Mode." The twin monsters leaned against each other in a seductive pose, curling their tail, which ended at the beginning of the others'. (1900/900) Now if that monster could only last another turn, he would be able to summon his Jinzo.
 
Not one to give in so easily, Marina drew what was still only her second card into her hand. "I set a card facedown, and end my turn.”
 
Derik was puzzled as to why she ended her turn so easily without even changing her monster to Defense Mode, but he still had a monster to play. "I tribute the Gemini Elf to summon Jinzo!" he called out.
 
It was almost as big of a difference as you could get. The twin elves shattered and reformed into a holographic representation of Jinzo's card itself. Stepping out from his resting place came a menacing ten-foot tall android, one of the most feared cards in "Duel Monsters." (2400/1500)
 
Marina's mouth twitched at what seemed to be the beginnings of a smirk, but her eyes remained filled with distaste. "I know all about the Jinzo card, the greatest single weapon against trap cards… well, some traps are too powerful for even the mighty Jinzo to counter. And I happen to have one of them facedown. I activate one of the few traps that Jinzo fears, the Horn of Heaven!"
 
A large ivory horn appeared from the holographic card that kept it. Wings on either side of the instrument began to flutter as Marina's Super Roboyarou put it to his mouth. Not only sound came from the barrel of that trumpet, but also a powerful burst of light seemed to wash the giant android away. When the spectacular spectacle of the trap was finished, the field was barren, as if it never came.
 
"Horn of Heaven not only destroys a monster, it prevents it from ever technically being played. Jinzo was never here, so its ability to negate my trap was never present.” The woman shrugged. “True, activating the trap made me sacrifice the only monster I had, but now it's my turn, and I can summon another one just as easily."
 
Although shaken, Derik was definitely not despairing. Jinzo was a big loss to be sure, but now Marina's cage was gone and he could attack her all he wished.
 
"It's my turn now," Marina proclaimed. Her Nightmare's Steelcage was already dissolving like sugar left out in the rain. She had apparently drawn a card she was hoping for, because the corner of her mouth twitched yet again, this time in an attempt not to smile in triumph. "I use the power of the Fusion Gate field. Any monsters I have now can be fused without a Polymerization card in exchange for removing them from the game instead of discarding them."
 
The world behind Marina began to swirl and run together, before collapsing to form what looked like nothing less than a black hole. Once again, the gems on the clothing of the nearly-forgotten Skilled White Magician flickered, this time on each of the shoulders.
 
Derik made an observation. "Your field may help you to fuse monsters, but you only have one card in your hand."
 
"Very observant," Marina countered, still trying to retain her neutral actions, "but you have yet to learn what card that is." She turned the card around to show a bright green dragon surrounded by thunderclouds. "The effect of my Thunder Dragon lets me choose to discard it from my hand to pull two more from my deck, and as luck would have it, Thunder Dragons have the ability to fuse with each other. Now by using the power of my Fusion Gate, I summon the fearsome Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon!"
 
One serpentine dragon rose into the air, and then dove straight into Marina's Graveyard. A moment later, two more dragons emerged into view, before both flew straight into the Fusion Gate. A massive, crimson behemoth dragged its way out from the large portal behind its master before taking to the skies. Although the dragon looked little like its single-headed counterparts, its double roar was nonetheless intimidating. Every single muscle twitch sent a high voltage spark streaming across its body. (2800/2100)
 
"Now my monster will attack the final monster you have standing, Dragon, attack with Twin Thunder Cannon."
 
Each of the monster's individual mouths sparked with a glowing sphere of electricity, then each fired a stream of dazzling lightning; first the upper then the lower, each stream intertwining with the other.
 
"Not so fast,” Derik yelled, “I still have a card facedown. I protect my monster with Waboku!"
 
Three emissaries, dressed all in pure white, materialized on the ground. Opening their eyes, each grew to an incredible height in a moment's notice, neutralizing the fearsome attack.
 
Marina remained cool and collected on the outside, but inside was only turmoil. Another turn for this little boy to turn things around would not help her at all. This duel had gone on for too long already; she should not have let them get this far.
 
Trusting his draw, Derik unknowingly mimicked his father's trust in what his deck brought him; he was not disappointed in the least. "Well, Marina, you put up a fight, but now I can activate my monster's special ability. Skilled White Magician has the ability to tribute itself to summon a monster when it gains three spell counters, and it gains one for every magic card played!”
 
Marina did a quick run-through of each play since that wretched mage was played, and then breathed a silent sigh of relief. "Unfortunately, boy, only two magic cards have been used. No counters, no effect. It's that simple." She began to hold her breath again though when she realized that her opponent knew that fact perfectly well.
 
"That is why I have a magic card of my own to add the final counter, not to mention add the monster I need to my hand!” Derik turned the card around to show it off, and then played it. “I use the Emblem of the Dragon Destroyer, which sends a `Buster Blader monster to my hand."
 
The hilt of a great sword shone on the field, waiting for a wielder to hold it. The hilt dissipated to become the monster card that Derik had just found from his deck. The gem accenting the hilt, however, shattered, giving the needed counter to the white mage, who now had all three of the gems on his armor glowing brightly.
 
Derik announced, as he played the card, "Now I can tribute my Skilled White Magician to special summon the powerful Buster Blader!"
 
The mage seemed to melt away in a flash of magic. The staff he held warped and changed into a mighty sword, and the mighty warrior, the bane of all dragon decks, swung his gargantuan sword, turning to face his opponent. (2600/2300)
 
"The fun doesn't stop there,” Derik continued. “I told you I knew a few things about fusion, so I have a Polymerization card of my own. I fuse my Buster Blader and a Dark Magician from my hand to form the greatest spellcaster in the dueling world. Meet the unstoppable Dark Paladin!"
 
The now familiar process of fusion began; each monster swirling into the vortex of the Polymerization card. Soon neither monster remained, only the menacing figure of the ultimate magical swordsman. (2900/2400)
 
"Dark Paladin, attack the Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon now!" Derik finally said.
 
The dark warrior had no problem with that in the slightest. It easily took out the dragon with one swing of its sword, letting the monster slide apart before bursting into holographic triangles.
 
D-5000 M-6700
 
"Now I can finish you off in one blow. I play the magic card De-Fusion which splits my Paladin into its two basic forms. Monsters return!"
 
The dark swordsman seemed to slide apart, eventually splitting into the two monsters that made him up. Each one WAS poised for battle, the swordsman swinging his weapon, and the wizard pointing with his staff. Derik was thoroughly enjoying this. "With my De-Fusion card being a quickplay, I still have the rest of my battle phase left, and now I have two new monsters poised for attack. Okay, the two of you, direct attack!"
 
The Dark Magician led the charge, (2500/2100) bombarding Marina's chest with a bolt of the blackest magic.
 
D-5000 M-4200
 
The Buster Blader was next, swinging his sword, leaving a holographic streak of energy in its wake.
 
D-5000 M-1600
 
Marina dropped her mysterious indifference altogether and shook with a fury as she spoke. "That was good, kid, but I still have Life Points left!"
 
Derik reminded her of her own mistake: “Your Fusion Gate card is a field, meaning both of us can use its magic. I have two fusion-compatible monsters on the field. You do the math."
 
Marina's face could not have been any paler if she was bleeding from a lost limb.
 
"That's right. Buster Blader, Dark Magician, pass through the Fusion Gate and combine!" Derik commanded.
 
Leaping across the field and into the still-swirling black hole, the monsters reemerged once again as one.
 
Derik finished, "Now finish the job, Dark Paladin! Attack directly with Dark Magic Saber."
 
There was no pain, only shock to Marina as the Monster delivered the final blow.
 
D-5000 M-0000
 
Marina didn't even stop to talk; she just dropped her locator card, along with the Fusion Gate, and ran screaming.
 
0000000
 
On the other side of town, Seto Kaiba himself was enjoying the results of the tournament he had started. That was, before being tripped and dragged into an alley. The blow dazed him, and it was dark, so he couldn't make out the details of the guy's face, but he didn't care. He wouldn't be able to recognize him anyway when he got through with him. After getting to his feet, he realized that he had been frisked while disoriented and turned to face the dead man that had attacked him.
 
"Alright, big shot, where did you stash those dragons?" the assailant hissed.
 
So this is about the Blue-Eyes? Kaiba thought. All the more reason to make him pay. "Listen, I don't know who you think you are, but those cards belong to my daughter now. So…"
 
"That's all I needed to know", said the punk, before disappearing into the door in the alley.
 
Kaiba gave chase, but the building was a warehouse, a maze of boxes and machinery. He decided that the guy was not worth the effort and headed for home. But not without a mental note that he owed someone a beating.
 
0000000
 
The dark building provided a convenient hiding place for the punk, who flipped open his cell phone and hit the first number on the automatic dial. Having failed one task, he was determined to fulfill the other. "Seskera, sir, we have reports that one of us has been defeated by a duelist named Derik Motoh."
 
The name caught the man's ear - wasn't someone named Motoh a former king of games? "Does he carry a Dark Magician in his deck?" The messenger nodded.
 
Seskera smiled grimly. It was possible that the child had his father's monster in his deck. Such a strong soul would be a great boost to their cause. "All right, have our very best sent out to duel him, and find a child that carries the name Kaiba too. The soul cards of the very greatest of duelists resides in their decks."
 
"Yes, sir,” the punk answered, “I'll get R. H. on it immediately."
 
Seskera's grin was one of pure venom. "Right… after that fool was brainwashed, he can't even remember his own name, only letters he believes are his initials. Well, at least he hasn't forgotten how to duel.”
 
Hanging up, the head of the Order of Ammit muttered to himself, a note of relish in his voice, "It takes more than a mere child's skill to defeat the unstoppable Exodia… the Forbidden One."
 
Coming next chapter: Isis Kaiba is out hunting for her own locator cards, but the Order of Ammit sends out a familiar face. It's a blast from the past as a certain ex-Rare Hunter faces down the Blue Eyes White Dragons. See what fifteen years has changed in Chapter Four, “Seeker, Keeper of Exodia”!