Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Lady of Dragons ❯ Peter, Heart of a Dragon ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Peter, Heart of a Dragon
 
The first thing Pegasus did after waking up was swear never to drink again. The headache was overwhelming, but after clearing his head Pegasus realized that it was not his head that was pounding, it was his eye. Pegasus lost his will to breathe as a feeling he had used himself was all around. The millennium eye had protected him from the powerful strain of shadow magic that threatened to consume his soul not that he realized any of it.
 
The man's newest project was on the table, a burst of inspiration hand painted by him recently completed. Pegasus knew he was getting to old for this. Destiny gave him a nudge to finish the project, but his old age and trauma was catching up to him. This was the last card he would ever create.
 
"Hey Max," Joey knocked at the door, "I need to see if you can do me a favor..."
A last brush stroke, and it was done. For some reason, Pegasus had taken an interest in the Wheeler boy, he seemed as lost and confused as he was. A burst on finspiration held him into the night, and he signed the card himself, with a dedication to Peter. Pegasus's last thought was the image of Cecilia waiting for him, and slowly, alone in his private office aboard the blimp, he went to join her. Joey finally forced the door open and looked at the seemingly sleeping old man.
 
"Pegs'?" he stopped as he could no longer hear any breathing. But weight seemed to be lifting, like a long awaited destiny was being fulfilled. Joey let the man rest, making sure to tell Kaiba that whatever grudge was still there, Pegasus deserved a decent burial. He took the card and smiled to himself. This would be just the answer to the problem that Joey was about to bring up.
 
The semi-finals were already announced, and Peter didn't move. The boy had sunk back into his old habit, curling up into the tightest corner of the room to think to himself. The thought of going up against the tournament favorite was not on his mind, it was all that had been brought to his attention recently. Nothing was honest in this world anymore. The reality of violence and betrayal had been burned into the young mind before his time just as the scars on his face were. Nothing close to him was safe, not even a piece of cardstock by his creation. Isabelle, Joey, all had been threatened so far. How much more could a little boy take?
 
Joey looked on with worry, and gestured with his head towards his boy while looking at the rest of his old gang that was present. “I think we need to give the kid a break, I mean look at what's happened recently.”
 
“Give me a break Wheeler.” Kaiba still could not regard Joey by his first name, or vise-versa for that matter. “Compared to the other quarter-final matches your kid had it easy. Don't tell me the Wheeler spirit has deteriorated into nothingness already.”
 
“Easy for you to say,” Yugi interrupted while Yami once again took his transparent form. “My son is the one going up against a shadowy psychopath.”
 
"Yeah, and what happens if Derik loses and Peter wins huh?" Joey no longer being able to hide his frustration at this point. Kaiba oddly enough kept silent, even at the obvious reference to his own child's skill.
 
"Each and every one of your children can go up against that guy if fate chooses that course, " Marik offered. "But we can even the odds in our favor..." Yami in his shadowey form disagreed.
 
"No, Seskera conjures the shadow game, meaning unless there is a breach in the rules he sets we can do nothing to alter them ourselves. I know it is hard, and I don't know what Shadi expects me to do about it. Perhaps he himself did not know. But if a time arrives that I can be of use, I will come to your aid. All of us have lost something so far, and it may only get worse." Everyone stood transfixed throughout this entire speech, that is, everyone except Kaiba who had casually slipped out unnoticed. Joey was the first to notice and sighed. Of course the dramatic mood was once again ruined by the sceptic. There was nothing else to do now but wish Peter luck.
 
"Kid," Joey said gently, not expecting such a reaction like this one.
 
"Were you just never going to tell me?" Peter asked in a hurt and soft monotone. Joey, never being the sharpest tooth of the Blue-Eyes made exactly the wrong mistake. "What about?" Peter all but exploded.
 
"My Family!, Your sister and my cousin, and the fact that..."
 
"Woah, kid." As suprised as Joey was, this was a time for dueling not discussion. Peter was bound to get distracted if he thought about this, and against Isis, that was something he couldn't afford to do.
 
"We'll get to this later, but now you have a match and..."
 
"I DON"T WANT A MATCH!" Peter screamed and through his entire deck at his dad scattering the cards on the ground. Joey scrambled to get them' suprised as he counted.
 
"Are there only thirty-nine here?" Joey asked.
 
"Fourty," Peter responded, gesturing to the one he missed. The father took a little inspiration and slipped in a single extra card.
 
"Hey buddy," he said gently, "I can't erase things with our extended family right now ok? but as for our family now," he patted the kid's deck into his duel disk, "I'll be right here. Maybe you'll find out what I mean."
 
Peter still hurt, but focussed decided to vent his anger against something else. He had a duel to win.
 
A few minutes later, the formalities were done, and Kaiba and Joey sat uncomfortably close to eachother on the sidelines. The duel had been a staring contest for all of two minutes before the Kaiba heir decided to take the initiative.
"Let's get this show on the road,"
 
Peter said nothing, but raised his disk in response. Kaiba beban the match himself with the announcement, "Duel, Begin," And just likt that, it had begun.
 
8000/8000
 
"I think I'll start this one off," Isis declared quite pleased with herself as she looked at her starting hand of six. "And I'll play the magic card that won me the last match, 'Spell Textbook,' and draw from the top of my deck, discarding what I draw until I reach a magic card, that I can activate as a quickplay." The girl went through a single card before holding up what her deck had given her. As Peter looked on, Isis delicately turned the card around between her fingers. "The card is, 'Premature Burial'." Peter started chuckling.
 
"Um... haven't you noticed, this is the first turn, you've got no monsters in your graveyard to use." Isis used a finger gesture that Seto Kaiba on the sidelines remembered being scarily like the one used by Yugi's own "Dark Magician."
 
"The card itself created the discard, so meet my 'Blue-Eyes White Dragon!" (3000/2500) I-7200 Peter had no time to be disappointed about the ante rule not being in place so he could own that great beast himself, the earsplitting roar and light of shimmering scales were brought to the front of his mind. Isis quickly selected another card while her opponent was still in shock over the prize monster of the dueling world making so sudden of an appearance. "And if you think that a simple magic destroyer will save you from my new dragon think twice, My 'Giant Trunade' will bring back my burial card not only sparing my monster, but keeping it for me to use later." Peter cursed under his breath as he looked at his "Stamping Destruction" card. That was exactly what he had planned on doing. The blood colored summoning circle faded in a gust of wind felt by both players and freeing the dragon of it's greenish tinge. "Two card facedown ends my turn," Isis declared as she cut her hand to three.
 
Peter drew up to six as he looked at the situation. OK, he thought to himself, Ironic as it may seem, I may be able to use this to my advantage. That titan may just end up winning this duel for me after all. Finaly breaking his streak of silence since the duel began, Peter began his first move.
 
"I summon my 'Cave Dragon' in attack mode." The green dragon lumbered onto the field, and was either toostupid to realise that he was in the presence of a far superior member of his kind, or was just too lazy to care. Kaiba began chuckling in Joey's ear.
 
"While the boy does have a fine taste in monsters," Kaiba observed, "That beast can't attack unless he's beside another dragon. That is, if it even had enough fire power to topple a 'Blue Eyes'." Joey knew that Peter was no fool, but what could possibly have to with this? Well, Joey monolouged, At least now he has a use for that crazy 'Capture Jar' of his. Apparently, Isis was in the same boat. She knew Peter had a plan, and patierntly waited to find out what it was.
 
"I was hoping to use this on your 'Burial' card, but now it can act as insurance as I put my main plan into action," the dragon user continued. "I activate 'Stamping Destruction,' and obliterate your set card on the right." Isis thought for a moment, but decided to let it go. There has to be only one reason he summoned that 'Cave Dragon,' and that's to bring my own dragon under his control, allowing it to attack. I can't waste my other card protecting my trap. The "Cave Dragon's" lazy demenor was replaced by a glint in it's eye, and a bony spike on it's left heel started to glow.
 
"OK, 'Cave Dragon,' let her have it." A swipe of the beast's claw sent a shockwave of light through Isis's face-down "Drop-Off," and swished past the girl herself, taking another five hundred points with it. I-6700 "Now that that's out of the way, I can use a card that duelist's love to hate. I use my 'Change of Heart'." Joey caught the shadow os a smirk on Isis's face that almost no one would notice. But seeing Kaiba suprise his opponent's time and time again, it was all too familiar. "Peter, No!," He cried out loud, but Peter's disk was already recording the play. Aincent forces began to consume the dragon, angelic feathers appearing on one wing, and demon hide forming on the other. Isis countered with grace and ease of a duelist with twice her experience.
 
"Thought you'd plan ahead didn't you?, well pick on a dragon two thirds of your size, because I activate 'Fairy's Hand Mirror'." The deity looked at the sparkling reflection in the artifact and simply posessed what it saw. Peter watched as his own dragon's eye danced with light and fire, while the other eye held stormclowds and darkness. The'Cave Dragon' practicly skidded over to the opposite field. Peter was stunned, not only had the oppertunity for him to inflict five thousand damage just been bitterly used against him, but he had already made his summon for the turn. Bitterly he spent three more cards setting it and hoping that it would be enough. Isis began her next turn, causing the lazy dragon to unhappily walk back to it's propper place, but it wouldn't be staying there long. Peter looked over to his dad for comfort, only to find he was eye deep in accusations from Kaiba about supposedly helping his son cheat.
 
After drawing a fourth card, Isis had to smile to herself. "First, another monster," she decided out loud. "And I think that a 'White Magical Hat' will work just fine." The middle aged white thief faded into existance leaning on his cane and ready to attack. (1000/700) Static began to collect in Isis's dragon's jaws, giving off a foreboading hiss.
"Time to show you the fury of a real dragon," Isis gloated. "I'm sure that those face-down cards are nothing but bluffs. Otherwise you would have set them at the begining of your turn, rather then waiting until after your big plan fell through." Isis, always eager to go for the kill, couldn't help monologing in triumph. "Once my 'Blue-eyes White Dragon' vinishes your monster, my 'White Magical Hat's' ability will destroy the last card in your hand, and I doubt any duelist's luck can topdeck anything to threaten me then." Kaiba knew her impulsiveness might cost her, but said nothing as Isids nodded her head to her reptilian partner, who let out a trademark roar before reducing Peter's "Cave Dragon" to unregognisable ashes. P-7000Even with his score threatened, Peter looked his opponent right in the eye and gave a very Joey-like smirk.
"Well, your right about one thing," he chuckled. "This card in my hand is going to be discarded, but unlike you thought, I'm going to be the one to do it." Kaiba blanched while Joey cheered, both of them seeing Peter's previous match to know what was coming. Isis however, looked confused, until a particular trap card lifted, reviving "Cave Dragon" with a shining noose, making the beast extra vicious.
 
"'Rope of Life," Peter clarified, tossing his "Dragon's Rage" to the graveyard. "And thank you for making my dragon powerful enough to defeat yours." Isis was lost. She was sure her opponent wasn't that stupid, but commented anyway.
 
"What are you talking about?" Isis responded with a hint of disgust. "Even with twenty eight hundred attack power, it can't match the 'Blue-Eyes' head-to-head." Peter let his finger hover over another set card for a moment before letting the true trap be sprung.
"That may be true, but his attack outranks your dragon's defense. Get ready for a bad case of halitosis." Isis thought for a moment before everything finally clicked.
 
"Wait... that can't be..."
 
"'Burst Breath'," Peter finished for her, wiping out both of your monsters in one blast." "Cave Dragon" seemed to take his sacrifice with dignity, using it's very life force to tear through Isis's field with shockwavees of firey breath. Isis didn't seem too thrilled with the menuver, in fact, she was downright livid, and made it very clear she wasn't finished yet.
 
"Ok, so you rob me of damage this turn, but don't tell me you've forgotten about my 'Premature Burial' already. All I need is eight hundred more life points, and I can bring back my dragon for round two." I-5900 The crimson summoning circle formed once again bringing the ferocious dragon back to its place. Peter, not scared but slightly worried stared his opponent in the face.
 
"You think a showdown of dragons can keep me on edge?" he asked, feeling the scars tingle as Hasker's face took over Isis's for the briefest of moments. "I use them too, how to summon them, how to attack with them, and most importantly..." he gestured with a thumb's down, "how to slay them where they stand. You don't use dragons for as long as I have without picking up a few tricks."
 
"Um, Peter," Joey catcalled, "This tournament is the first time you've used a dragon deck remember?" Peter fell over before blushing crimson. Isis just about busted a gut. Regaining his composure, Peter drew again.
 
Not enough, he thought to himself. This all depends on luck, but in the meantime, this is going to hurt, a lot Peter swallowed hard before playing his new card. "I activate 'Mirage of Nightmare,' and end my turn." Joey practicly fell over. Isis, while she had certainly heard of the card, was unsure about the effect, so Peter took a moment to clarify.
 
"Like a true mirage, the effects of this card are fleeting. I draw up to four cards at the beginning of your turn, but have to discard them at the beginning of my own. In the meantime I can search my deck for anything that can bring down your dragon once again."
Isis looked over blankly, but wasn't complaining. He could draw himself into decking, but at the moment there was no defense for him. The girl once again reached a hand of four, Peter doing the same, but she already found the card she needed to send Peter into the red for sure.
 
"Time to go all out here then," she smiled. "I summon 'Gradius' in attack mode." (1200/800) One of Isis's trade mark monsters took to the field, lasers at the ready. "And to make it more painful, I summon not one, but two 'Gradius's Option' monsters to the field to join it, also in attack mode." The two meateor-like cruisers materialiaed to Isis's side in a flash. Peter was really sweating now. He was prepared for a hit, but this was overkill to say the very least. "Now that you're defenseless," Isis observed silkily, savoring the moment, "'Gradius, lead the charge with p-shot attack." The cruiser took aim and peppered the boy with plasma lasers almost causing a comical dance. P-5800 "Don't think I'm through either," Isis punctuated. "Now that I know you're bluffing with your other card, I order my 'Option" cards to make two direct attacks on your life points." The enhancers made the experience all but unbearable as the meteors gave off pulses of intense heat, taking Peter even further down the scale. P-3400 "And finally," Isis relished, "I attack directly with my 'Blue-Eyes Whire Dragon'." She paused for a moment for Peter to get back to his feet. "White Lightning." Peter didn't even have time to brace himself before feeling what must have been the highest voltage someone could feel without long term damage. His face felt about to rip from his skull, as Peter sunk back into a crouch. P-400 Isis was in control now and she knew it. Peter was literally a breath from defeat. A hot sparkling dragon's breath, but still... Isis motioned for him to begin his turn and he drew only to remember he had to discard.
 
"Funny," Kaiba expressed from the sidelines, causing Joey to take a sideways glance. "I would have bet money that Peter's facedown card was 'Emergency Provisions' to sacrifice his 'Mirage' card and prevent him from discarding." Joey gave a smirk. "How much money? I might have taken that bet." Kaiba simply scowled and looked on.
 
"So," Isis requested, "What did that card force you to throw out anyway?" Peter sighed as he showed her a hand of lower level dragons, "Grey Wing," "Spirit Ryu," "Spear Dragon," and "Dragon Dwelling in the Cave." Joey gaped. Peter's deck was low on monsters, and those were most of his lower dragons. The answer became clear as Peter's other facedown card was finally revealed.
 
"Now that that's done," Peter stated, a little out of breath, "I reveal, 'Super Rejuvination'."
 
"Of course," Joey said in realisation as Isis began to look a bit nervous. Peter now had a full hand of five again, and gave an honest smile for the first time in the duel.
 
"Well, let's see if your dragon can handle oblivion twice," Peter stated sliding a card into his disk. "Activate, 'Heavy Storm'." There was only two magic cards left in play, Isis's "Premature Burial," and Peter's "Mirage of Nightmare." This time, the "Blue-Eyes" wasn't spared as the card left the field and quickly rotted into destruction bringing back a painfully specific memory for Kaiba. Peter however, benifitted from his own card's destruction. "Mirage of Nighhtmare" should never be in play very long. Isis's pretty face contorted into a vile scowl against her opponent as she waited for him to finish. "I summon, 'Ruby Dragon'," Peter continued as another jeweled dragon was brilliantly summoned to the field. (1600/1900) Peter had full intention of bringing Isis back to square one, and he carefully picked out his target. "Now," he commanded fighting through exaustion, "attack 'Gradius'with crimson sunburst." A scarlet ball of flame spewed from the beautiful beast's mouth, sreating a star patern that spit the spacecraft six ways. Isis watched helplessly as her two other monsters also took the fall, but to her the duel was still far from over. I-5500
 
Isis drew again, leaving her with only two cards in her hand. Two monsters, far from perfect, but at least she would survive another round.
 
"One monster in defense mode," She spoke clearly accross the field. "And I end my turn."
 
Peter paused while he drew his next card and felt sick to his stomach for a moment. "Wave-Motion Cannon," but he even have the heart to use it? he looked at the other cards he held, "Hyozonryu," "Luster Dragon," "Luster Dragon #2," and "Polymerisation." Without his "Ryu," or "Warrior Dai Grepher," in his hand, the "Ryu Sensei" fusion seemed unlikely. But with these cards... could he in fact owe his entire victory in this match to Ammitites? There was nothing else to do but try.
 
Actually, this is perfect Peter thought to himself. I power it up for a while, and when I unleash it I can burn a hole...Peter choked on the spot. Right through her. Was that what he had been about to say? Hasker's grinning face took up his vision. Peter hung his head in his hands, trying to tear the card in half as he put it into the slot face down. The cannon seemed as deadly as before, and he couldn't bear to use it again. Ok he finally composed himself, one step at a time. I set it for now, activate it when I'm ready, leave it up for a turn or two and then fire, no big deal, right? Somehow he didn't convince himself, but it hardly mattered anyway.
 
"In any case, I tribute 'Ruby Dragon' for the pride of my deck. Welcome back 'Luster Dragon #2'." The situation was truely ironic. Peter's favorite creature along side a reminder of his darkest fears. Taking the menuver in stride, Peter ordered the attack. Several glass like projectiles fired from the dragon's mouth, spearing a very familiar looking mage. (300/400) Isis watched as her "Magician of Faith" trake the hit before raiding her discard pile for a card.
 
Isis stood back, feeling fully in control as she drew yet another card, this one she could use.
 
"I activate 'Pot of Greed'," Isis announced greedily drawing two cards from her deck before staring in disbelief.
 
"What?" Peter asked, "what did you draw?"
 
"Actually, I'm kind of curious myself," Joey confirmed. Kaiba just sat in silence.
"Well," Isis choked out, "I've drawn a winner." Peter braced himself for the worst as Isis played a card that was now becoming quite annoying. "'Premature Burial,' again."
Peter let out a groan of outright disgust. "Don't those dragon's ever die?" A small chuckle ran through his mind as he remembered his tustle with Bowen. I-4700 For the third time this duel, the "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" was poised for the attack.
 
"But this time," Isis directed, "he won't be fighting alone."
 
"Don't tell me..." Joey started, but Isis had already played her "Polymerisation" card Peter had only heard of this monster, of course everyone had. But like so many others, he had never expected to fight it himself. The trinity of unique beasts swirled together in a vortex of light, lined becoming more jagged, the entire form growing more regal. Then, in all of its furious terrocity, the titan of Duel-Monsters had emerged, and Peter was looking into all six eyes of the "Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon" itself. Those eyes were looking back, and the sparkle in them, Peter was sure, had nothing to do with a bedroom. (4500/3800) Isis was so close she could taste victory in her hands, but that card... She had never seen a duelist's reaction like the one she had just witnessed. Not like a desperate bluff, but more like a trap so unpleasent that it would be unsporting to use on an opponent. With these enhancors, a normally unpleasent experience could become something scarring for life, and afterlife to boot. and what if it involved a small space? Isis shuddered at the thought. Her observation of her opponents had never let her down, and besides, she had control of the board anyway.
 
"I pass for now, but next turn you get a taste of my dragon's fangs and I promice you won't enjoy it."
 
Peter's mouth was like sand. He was into dragons also, but this was a bit too much. Only two cards he knew of could possibly save his hide, and he hoped against hope for one of them... ok maybe there were three.
 
"This works for everyone else, so I play a 'Pot of Greed' myself." In a burst of luck that would have put Vegas up for bankrupcy, Peter played his salvation. "Get ready because I activate 'Monster Reborn' and revive my 'Ruby Dragon' to the field." Isis didn't get it at all, but the crimson lizard returned nonetheless.
 
"What could you possibly do with that thing that can take out my 'Ultimate Dragon'?" she asked. Peter shrugged.
 
"Make it very pretty."
 
"I don't follow," Isis sighed in exasperation
.
"Well, Maybe this can help. I use 'Polymerisation' to fuse my 'Ruby Dragon,' 'Luster Dragons 1 and 2,' 'Hyozonryu,' and last but not least, a card that I just got before this match, my shiney new 'Amythest Dragon'." (500/2200)
 
"Have you completely lost your mind?" Isis questioned. "With that monster being new like you said, there san't possibly be a fusion of those gemstones."
 
"Oh yes there is," Kaiba paled as the mineral dragons took a truely frightening form. Ruby became fire, and sapphire became water. Diamond to earth and emerald to wood. Amythist became the face of steel. The Five-God-Dragon had been unleashed in all of its tenacious fury. (5000/5000) Isis stood at the feet of the very pinnicle of dragon power. For the first time since it's existance, the "Ultimate Dragon" cowered in fear. That in itself made everyone very uncomfortable.
 
"Now let's see what is feel's like to make the strongest monster you've got crumble into dust." Peter threatened. "Draconic Pentagram." Elements of purest nature never before had seemed so tainted. Crimson, cerulean, evergreen, goldenrod, and lavender beams criss-crossed through each other to form a five pointed star settled between each of the dragon's bloodthirsty mouths. Apparently five heads were indeed better then three as the "Ultimate Dragon" writhed in pitiful agony before shattering like glass. Isis was litterally speechless, as the most powerful monster of her family for generations was defeated not by a clever combo or deadly trap, but by sheer brute force. I-5000
 
Isis had no points to spare and she knew it, it was miricle time.
 
As much as Kaiba heted to see his daughter lose to the puppy sone of a mutt, he had to admit he was impressed. It didn't make him feel any better about the monster Peter was using do do it however.
 
Both duelists were reduced to topdecking, and Isis really didn't want that attack to come down on her. Thinking quickly, she drew what she half thought was her final card. As luck would have it, she was about to get three more.
 
"You may have pulled a miricle out of your hat, kid..." Isis challenged drawing her card. Peter bearly supressed a laugh. If that wasn't the pot calling the kettle black he didn't know what was. "But your dragon's only weakness is light monsters, and I've got a deck full of light to bring down that demonic thing." Peter's mind started turning, could she be right? This whole time he was attempting to let go of his inner darkness. Was this truely an evil card? "Here's a little angelic help right here," Isis thundered, breaking Peter of his trance. "Let's see what 'Graceful Charity' can do for me." The took the three cards that the angel had given her, and her heart sank. "Wingweaver" was unsummonable and too weak to begin with. "Shine Castle" would be gold if her dragon was still in play, but she could only keep one card, and "Monster Reborn" was out of reach. The only thing she could do was stall, so she took the final card. "I set this face-down on the field," she conclused, "And end my turn."
 
Peter looked at his card as well. An attack was all that was needed from his "Five-God-Dragon" and her life points were the perfect number, but then again so were his for the card he had just drawn. Isis hadn't played her "Mirror Force" yet, but with this he wouldn't even have to worry about it.
 
"I set another card, and end my turn."
 
The "Five-God" didn't seem to like not attacking and gased upon both players with an equal amount of loathing. Isis looked on in disgust as her deck thought to save her with a "Cyclon Laser" card, but to Peter it didn't mayyet what card she drew, because she would never get a chance to use it anyway.
 
"Time's up Isis, I'm through waiting, so I choose to end this match right now." Isis was suprised to say the least, but looked on as Peter's trap lifted. "Last Turn," Peter said triumphantly," Now you get to choose anything to go up against my 'Five-God-Dragon' and the victor's monster wins the entire duel. First though, I get to destroy everything on your side of the field." Isis quickly took the chain opertunity, as the hologram system draped her in monk-like robes. She looked through her deck andfound the monster she wanted to win her this match.
 
"I summoooooooo..." Isis droned as she leafed through her deck, "ooon... Here we go, 'Thunder Nyan-Nyan' should do nicely." The lightning drummer appeared in a flash of light. (1900/800) But something happened that Peter did not intend, as the tikerskin outfit was shrouded in the same robes that Isis herself was now draped in.
"What gives?" Peter asked. Isis sneeres defiantly.
 
"I forsed a draw Peter. By chaining my 'Waboku' to your trap, I negate any battle dasmage my monster or I take to zero. She can't beat your monster, but she can survive the assault, and that's all I need."
 
True enough, the sacred barrier spared the drummer fron the firet pentagram that had scorched her "Ultimate Dragon." The duel was over.
 
Joey looked on in confusion, but Kaiba seemed pleased.
 
"Well," the CEO stated silkily as both compeditors waited for the results, "It is very safe to say that Isis's life points were certainly higher when the duel ended, so naturally, she gets the prise wouldn't you say?" Isis's face lit up, Peter's mouth opened in shock, and Joey was just about to blow something up.
 
"Are you kidding, he made it this far, held his own against youe dragon TWICE before beating that Ultimate Eyesore of yours, WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?!"
 
Unfortunately, Joey knew as well as Kaiba did that his decisions were final in this tournament, and broke down into tears on his knees.
 
"Once a mutt, always a mutt," Kaiba mutteres before he carried his beaming daughter inside to celebrate. Peter walked up behind his dad and started rubbing his shoulder.
 
"After all you've been through," Joey said between pulses of regret, "You deserved to beat her, you deserven to win it all. And he gives the chance to that spoiled kitten of his..."
 
"Dad," Joey looed his boy right in the eyes. "Let's go home." Just like that, all was forgive between father and son, but the real tension was still to come.
 
Derik and Seskera turned to face each other at opposite ends of the tower. Yugi and the shadowey Yami on either side. Words were unnessicery, both parties knew what was at stake. And this time, only one would be walking away from the arena. The elevator began to rise, and everyone became just a moment closer, to finding out which one.