Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Lady of Dragons ❯ Derik, Dark Magician's Heir ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"The belief in a supernatural force of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

- Joseph Conrad
 
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: DERIK MOTOH
DARK MAGICIAN'S HEIR
 
Two elevators rose towards the top of the Kaibacraft 7, their passengers almost ridiculously different.
 
In one elevator, Derik was looking through his deck over and over again.  Finally, his father spoke up, saying, "Derik, you're just going to wear your cards out if you keep that up."

The boy's hands stopped, and then he sighed.  "It's just that I can't be sure if these cards stand anything like a chance against Seskera," he replied.  "Nobody even knows what he's playing.  How can I expect to counter it?"
 
"Do you think I was ever truly sure I could defeat any of my opponents?" Yugi said.  "Those cards have gotten you past so much already - including three members of the Order of Ammit.  If you keep your faith in them, you'll have nothing to fear."

Derik smirked as one specific memory came back to him.  "Somehow, I don't think Logos counts as a member of the Order..."  His expression turned dark as another memory came to him - the memory of Logos killing his doctor.  In a sudden depression, he reached into his pocket and took out another card.
 
Seeing his son's actions, Yugi looked down and saw what card the boy was holding... and his eyes widened.  "Derik, where did you get that Toon Dark Magician Girl?" he asked.
 
"I won it at the Virtual Dueling Hall when I beat the PEGASUS program," Derik answered.  "Too bad I can't play her..."

There was a moment's silence, and then Yugi took a set of four cards from his shirt pocket.  He could remember passing by Pegasus's wheelchair after the briefing, just before the finals started, and feeling Pegasus slip the cards into his pocket.  The former CEO refused to say anything about the cards except that they would come in handy in the near future.
 
I suppose this answers my questions, Yugi thought.  "Derik," he then said aloud, handing his son the cards, "I think you might need these."

Silently accepting the gift, Derik fanned the cards, and then gasped.  Quickly, he took his Gather Your Mind cards from the deck and slid in the new set.
 
0000000
 
In the other elevator, Seskera didn't say a word.  He merely stared at the ceiling, waiting to reach the top.  While not a claustrophobe, being in an elevator was too much like a coffin for him to be fully comfortable.
 
0000000
 
The elevators finally arrived, the doors sliding open.  As Derik and Yugi stepped out of one, Peter passed them without any words.  To Yugi's surprise, however, the scarred boy was actually smiling, despite his defeat.
 
Isis passed Seskera as the second elevator opened.  The Ammitite leader and the Kaiba heiress glared daggers at each other, but they didn't say anything.  Words were superfluous.
 
As Joey was about to leave, Kaiba grabbed his arm.  "Peter will be fine, Wheeler," he said.  "We need as many witnesses as we can get for this one."

"Correct," Marik said, hand on the Millennium Rod.  "If Seskera tries anything out of the ordinary, the advantage of numbers will be important."

Joey shook his head.  “Sorry, guys,” he said, pulling his arm from Kaiba's grip.  “But I think Peter needs me more than you do.”  And he walked away.

Both duelists took their places on the dueling platform.  Derik slid his newly-prepared deck into his disk, thinking, I'm as prepared as I'll ever be.  Let's go.
 
I apologize in advance, Derik, Seskera thought as he readied his Duel Disk, but this duel will be far from pleasant for you.  Fate demands your loss.
 
Standing between them, Seto Kaiba glared at Seskera, and then declared, "The next match of the Battle City Finals will now start!  Derik Motoh vs. Seskera!  Duelists ready?"

The Duel Disks activated, and both duelists stared each other down.  Seskera, being far taller, had the advantage.
 
"Duel begin!" Kaiba yelled, and then he fled the dueling field.
 
Seskera grinned, a dark aura surrounding him.  "Let us raise the stakes, child," he growled.  "I declare this a Shadow Game... but this time, I won't deny our guests the pleasure of watching us in battle!"

A ring of shadow surrounded the two duelists, and suddenly the entire blimp was engulfed in darkness.
 
0000000
 
Looking out their windows, both Peter and Isis saw the darkness descend.
 
Isis merely muttered, "This can't be good..."

Peter was far less optimistic.  He recognized the situation... and he couldn't help but think, This darkness... it's a Shadow Game.  Derik's in deep trouble and I don't think anyone can help him now...
 
0000000
 
Unlike the previous Shadow Game, all of the spectators on the sidelines - Yugi, Yami, Kaiba, Marik, and Bakura - could freely see what was going on.  Yugi and Marik quickly found themselves forced to hold Bakura back.

"This isn't fair!  He's just a child!  What right does Seskera have to do this to him?!?" Bakura yelled.

Yami brought him to a stop with his calm words: "You must maintain your calm, Ryou.  Getting angry will only aid Seskera's plan.  As long as he obeys the rules, I do not think Derik's life will be in danger..."

"...and if he doesn't obey the rules, we are here," Marik finished.

Seskera took in a deep breath, relaxing in the darkness of the Shadow Realm, and then said, "I will let you begin, Derik."

D-8000   S-8000

Oh, great, Derik thought as his opening hand sent his heart into the vicinity of his large intestine. One monster that doesn't need a tribute.  All wasn't hopeless - he could gain the advantage in his next turn - but he needed this monster to last that long.  The best Derik could do was bluff.
   
“I set one monster in defense mode,” he stated, clicking his card into the disk, “and set one card facedown.  The turn is now yours.”

All present began to worry.  Shadi was not easily intimidated, but some fierce force of nature had annihilated the guardian.  All Yugi and Marik could hope to do was hope that Seskera would break the rules, giving them permission from the shadows to interfere.
   
Seskera, unlike Derik, could not have been more pleased with his opening hand.  His trump card already lying in wait, it was only a matter of time. And from all of his research on the deck of his opponent, a plan was already forming.
   
“I hope you can bear the darkness, boy,” Seskera began. “I activate the power of Mystic Plasma Zone, increasing the power of my own creatures of the dark attribute significantly, while weakening the defense of yours.” 

The shadows above the duelists spun into rings of violent storm cloud, causing the wind to buffet at both players.  Streaks of dark lightning rained upon the field, bringing back one or two vivid memories for Seskera.
   
Suppressing his own fear, the sorcerer picked another card from his hand.  “Next, meet the fury of my Element Doom, in attack mode.” (2000/8000)
   
The new creature bore a resemblance to both snake and bat, its rocky skin hiding behind shadowy wings.

Of all people, Bakura drew back in surprise.  “An element monster,” he said aloud, causing Marik and Kaiba to look for clarification.  Yugi, however, knew the power and also the difficulty of using these monsters.  Their potential was great, but they were all dependent on the presence of another card.
   
“Now,” Seskera began, “you will see the power of my creature soon, but first I set two cards facedown.”  Two hidden dangers shimmered in front of the man, before he called his attack.  “With my Plasma Zone fortifying my monster's strength, and weakening your own, the first blood goes to me.  Element Doom, attack with your Diabolic Sandstorm!”

Two spheres of energy, one black, one green, came to life in the monster's claws.  With a roar, they were brought together, spiraling towards Derik's defense as a tornado of sand and the very darkness of power.   

As impressive as the attack was, it was blocked by the monster, a single man at the bottom of a ladder, leaning against a half-hexagon of shelves. (0/2000)
   
“The score is tied,” Derik spoke, sounding much braver then he actually was.  “My Royal Magic Library not only has just enough defense to repel your Element Doom, but it is a creature of light, not darkness, which means your Mystic Plasma Zone has no power in weakening it.”
   
The thwarted demon let out a throaty chuckle, and Seskera soon fallowed suit.
   
“One round and you think you've got me because I ran into a bookshelf. Maybe it can help you look up how to win a duel in the Shadow Realm,” the sorcerer quipped.  Element Doom responded with an uproarious laughter while Seskera simply remained calm.  “Your move, brat.”
     
Marik kept a falcon's gaze upon Seskera, knowing that he had probably knew more about his opponent then he let on.   

Derik drew again and thanked whatever he believed in for the new Level Four he now held. 

The boy twisted a card in his hand before putting it into play.  “I'm activating the magic card, Tribute Doll,” he declared, “using my Royal Magic Library as a sacrifice.” 

A large wooden coffin rose onto the field, the lid rolling aside to reveal a blank eyed voodoo doll.  The librarian stepped up higher on the ladder to the second row, before letting go and falling backwards into the open box. 

Seskera felt his spine grow tense, as he looked away from the needles now poking the monster before the lid was closed.

Derik let a disgusted grunt out of the corner of his mouth and knew that he would never envision that card the same way. 

Despite the graphics, the wooden lid soon slid away, revealing Derik's Dark Magician, this one with maroon robes and white hair, still stuck with silver pins from the magic card. (3000/1600)
   
Derik made sure it was safe to look before continuing, and placed another card on the field.  “I also summon my Skilled Dark Magician in attack mode.”  One of Derik's trademark monsters faded into existence and immediately began drawing power from the field around him. (2400/1300) 

The boy finished, “Although my Dark Magician can't attack for the turn…” (Indeed, he was spending the round removing the voodoo needles.) “…my Skilled Dark Magician has the firepower to destroy your Element Doom.”

Seskera waited for the call before countering.  “I activate my trap, the Windstorm of Etequa!” 

Despite the foul stench of the Shadow Realm, the wind created smelled of delightful flowers. Derik might have found it pleasant if the harsh speed didn't sting his eyes.  Apparently his monsters felt the same way, as they crouched to defend themselves from the gale. 

“Even the wind obeys my call,” Seskera monologued as Derik weathered the storm.  “This trap affects every one of your monsters.  Its enchanting scent lures your defending monsters into attack mode, while the chill sends attacking monsters ducking for cover.  Seeing as you have no monsters that can attack, I believe that means it's my turn.”
   
Yugi silently cursed to himself. With Seskera's Mystic Plasma Zone weakening their defense scores, Derik's monsters were sitting ducks.
   
Still the score was tied as Seskera drew his hand to three, as Derik wiped the tears from his stinging eyes.  “Don't worry,” Seskera mocked, “you can experience the wind again sooner then you think.  My next monster is Homunculus, the Alchemic Being, in attack mode!”(1800/1600)

The multicolored plant warrior burst into play, slightly shining with its natural light attribute. 

Yugi paused, and then tightened in anger; he knew its power.

“This little number can become any attribute during my turn, and to make good on my promise…”  Seskera snapped his fingers. “Homunculus, obey my command! Become wind!”  The chimeric creature obeyed happily, becoming a translucent light blue, small wisps streaming off of its body time to time. 

Now Derik was confused.  Seskera could have just as easily turned that creature into a powerhouse by exploiting his dark advantage. 

The sorcerer then took another card and placed it on the field, gloating as it went into effect.  “With a monster of wind at my command, Element Doom can attack twice in one turn so long as he slaughters one of your monsters first.  However, why settle for only one direct attack when I can bury one of your defenses with my Fissure magic card?”
   
The ground began to quake, as an unforgiving hand broke from the ground and held Derik's magician in place.  As the ground began to close around the monster, a spiraling machine raised a barrier against its power.

Derik sighed in relief at the fact that his Spell Shield-Type 8 was cost free due to the card's targeting nature. 

Seskera smirked at the turn of events, but to him it truly made no difference.  “You can dodge one bullet boy, but you can't keep hiding forever.  The shadows are around us and there is nowhere for anyone to hide, even your precious dark mages.  Homunculus, Element Doom, rid the field of his magicians.”

Nodding, Homunculus clapped his hands and set them to the ground. The wisps of air around the chimeric monster picked up speed, causing a twister to surround Derik's Skilled Dark Magician, which was nowhere to be found when the air cleared. 

Element Doom's attack was far more painful, the black energy in the attack causing the tiny sand particles in the wind to become lethal weapons.  The Dark Magician's robes were thrashed as the attack ran through him, and Derik saw drops of crimson roll from the mage's mouth.  Giving one last look of pain and regret to his master, the Dark Magician collapsed.
   
“One down and one to go,” the head of the Order noticed. “Element Doom, complete your second attack against my opponent and wipe out a quarter of his Life Points!” 

Yami looked on in concern and outright terror as the demon prepared a second strike.  Even Kaiba sneered in disgust and rage at the man. 

The blast of sand and harsh wind stinging at Derik's cheeks was nothing compared to the spiral of energy that burned into his chest.  The boy was bleeding from the tiny scratches, but he continued to fight on, working harder for breath. 

D-6000  S-8000
   
Seskera looked completely satisfied at the mess that his opponent was reduced to in a single strike.  “Now you see why I have the advantage, don't you?” he said mockingly as Derik recovered.  “The dark magic your monsters attack with is something I have been working with all of my days.  But here, in this place, every attack you feel becomes reality.  How many times can you face the force of water before you tire and drown?  How long can you stay conscious when smoke and fire preys upon you?  Elements have claimed countless lives throughout the ages.  I am using the perfect force of nature itself to bring you down.  How will you face the earth itself, boy?  I believe you have neither the skill nor the endurance to face me.  But by all means, try.”  He chuckled behind his hand.  “Why deprive the little people of a little entertainment?”
   
“You arrogant fool!” Marik spat from the sidelines.  “You have control of nothing!  Do you believe these creatures would bow to your whim if you came upon them in an empty street?  You have blinded yourself with delusions which you cannot begin to see the dangers of.  Control forces that are beyond your power, and they will rebel against you.  It has been seen throughout history.  Are you so consumed by your overestimated power that you would do this to a child?”
   
Derik pulled himself up and gave a look so similar to Yami's gaze, the gaze that had spelt doom for opponents years before. He then spoke two words. “Butt. Out.”
   
Peter's a shadow of himself thanks to the man in front of me, the boy thought.  Flashes of the lost carefree days ran through his mind.  There was nothing he could do to change that, but he was going to vent his frustration on somebody.
   
As Derik drew, a plan was already formed, and he wasted absolutely no time in executing it.
   
“First, I activate my Change of Heart card to brainwash your Element Doom!”  The demon's left wing molted into feathers, and he seemed almost glad to be working for another master.  “Now since I can't stand looking at this thing any longer, I'll sacrifice it to bring out my Jinzo. (2900/1100)  Magic may not be a large problem, but can you handle this?”
   
The demon shattered, and from the ruins stepped forth one of the most well-known beasts in Duel Monsters.  The nine-foot-tall android towered menacingly over the field, his arms crossed, and his red eyes scanning for traps to destroy.  It may have been the programming, but Jinzo just loved his job.
   
“And don't forget,” Derik chimed in, “Jinzo also is a dark monster, once again using your own field against you.”  The black lightning seemed all too natural to Jinzo, and immediately a black plasma ball was rolling around unstably in the beast's robotic hands. Seskera cursed his luck; Divine Wrath would do no good here.
   
“Now, I think that windbag has helped you long enough,” Derik gestured to the almost forgotten Homunculus, “Jinzo, Cyber Energy Shock attack!”

Jinzo roared as he let the sphere fly, and the unmistakable cackle of ozone filled the air as Homunculus was put out of its misery. 

D-6000 S-6900
   
Seskera drew his next card, and silently thanked the boy for sending another of his creatures to its doom.  Now he would make sure they were banished for good.  Even if the boy had Life Points to spare, he would never survive the blast.  The other card in his hand would also play an important part if its counterpart was drawn in the future.

“All too easy,” Seskera hummed to himself.  “Even Shadi was too much of a fool to anticipate this move, and it was the card that led to his… retirement you might say.”
   
While the spectators had never seen the events that had taken place in Seskera's last duel, or what strategy Shadi had used, a move that could take down a man so imposing would be a move they didn't want to be on the receiving end of.
   
“For this summoning,” Seskera continued, “I require the life energies of two of my fallen monsters, one of light, and another of darkness.  This new creature is something I believe you are quite familiar with, Kaiba, and in its wake I can destroy not only my opponent, but each and every one of you bothersome fools.” 

Homunculus and the Element Doom appeared briefly on the field, and then both vanished.  Above the heads of all present, a massive gateway opened, and from it descended a tremendous dragon, green and gold with wings the size of minivans.  It settled in front of Seskera and let forth a roar louder than most bomb detonations.

“Gentlemen…” the sorcerer concluded, “I introduce you to Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of the End, bringer of the apocalypse, as well as your demise.” (3500/2000) 

The beast continued to roar, and Marik, Yugi, and Yami gave an accusing look at Kaiba.  Bakura just seemed to be searching his memory.

“Kaiba,” Bakura finally said, “didn't you use this monster against Ziegfried?”

“Yes, and this is only the beginning.  Seskera can give up one thousand of his Life Points to destroy every card that both players are using, dealing three hundred points of damage to your boy…” Kaiba acknowledged Yugi. “…for each one.” 

Marik was in Kaiba's face before he even finished the sentence.  “So let me get this straight.  You ban some comical imps, and a six-inch-long sharp insect look-alike, but when it comes down to the really huge behemoths, a card you have used no less, you don't bother to do a damned thing about it?!!”
   
“Truth be told, Marik…”  Sweat beaded on Kaiba's forehead. “I DID ban that thing.”

“Well, then…”  Marik relaxed for a second, and then roared, “disqualify him already!”
   
Kaiba looked at Seskera, then to the dragon, and finally gave an amused snicker at Marik.  “You first.”

You heard that, Yugi, Yami communicated with a glance. 

“Way ahead of you,” Marik responded as he reined in his temper, seeing the look the two partners were signaling with.

Seskera enjoyed the commentary, but his dragon was thirsty for battle, and a living blood-thirsty dragon waits for no one.  Dark lightning sparked across the dragon's hide, already forming orbs of demonic power.  The intense flashes caused all parties to shield their eyes.   

“First, I think that a certain monster needs have a favor returned to it.  Chaos Dragon, melt down his Jinzo with an attack he will never forget.  Wrath of the Seven…” Lightning struck at his feet. “Dark…” The lightning struck again, this time between the duelists. “Storms!”

Each of the black orbs gleamed with the familiar face of a being pictured on a Duel Monsters card.  As they rotated like a windmill, Derik could make out Just Desserts, Goblin of Greed, Malevolent Nuzzler, Change of Heart, Goblin Attack Force (apparently in defense mode from the way they were lazing about), and Blue-Eyes White Dragon.  A seventh sphere formed on the Dragon's maw, giving off the foreboding image of Doma the Angel of Silence.

Each of the spheres melded together into a wave of pulsing darkness, pieces of Jinzo simply fading away, being consumed by the attack.

D-5400 S-6900

While the machine took the bulk of the attack, Derik dropped to one knee, and quickly put his remaining cards into his pocket so they wouldn't blow away.  The kid crossed his arms in front of his head, and his mind pulsed with a sensation similar to his experience with the puzzle the previous night.  Derik realized that, holographic or not, his body wouldn't last against that blast head on. 

Getting to his feet, Derik stood dumbstruck at how easily the tides were turned, just as his last maneuver had altered things in his favor.
   
Seskera continued his turn, the inky blackness of the Shadow Realm reflected in his already cold eyes.
   
“As I know you are aware, gentlemen,” Seskera regarded the spectators, who immediately readied themselves for whatever might happen next, “my dragon is not powerful only with its attack power.  This beast's power in this place can not only damage the boy,” Seskera expanded, his voice dripping with everything a human being has the right to hate, “but incinerate him.  My powers will give me the shielding I need, but to you all… well, send my regards to your wife for me, Seto Kaiba.”
   
Kaiba launched himself onto the stage and sent a fist Seskera's way, fully intending to break something vital.  Unfortunately, a magical barrier was already erected in preparation for the attack, and sent the CEO into a string of cursing that Bakura was certain to be heard even outside this enchanted cloud.
   
Derik got to his feet, in time to see the ground quaking, and the dragon's power forming a sphere. When the shape reached the ground, stopping the force, it simply circled its creator, bringing specks of debris with it.
 
Seskera let out a short chuckle. “Now, I unleash the ultimate power of chaos.  Prepare to burn with the fires that granted me my power.  I relinquish one thousand of my life points…”

D-5400 S-5900

“…and unleash the ultimate fury.  My dragon's ability known as…”  The sorcerer set one hand, two fingers extended, before his face and whispered, “Saishyuu Saigo no Waza.”

With a deafening roar, the monster unleashed all of the power within its body.  Thermal, bioelectric, even the kinetic energy in the motion of its blood, none was retained in a growing hot white sphere of annihilation. Seskera simply watched the spectacle, knowing that even if the boy had enough points to survive, the attack would destroy everything.  Shadi had the power to protect himself, but the child would not be so lucky.  The ferocity of the explosion brought him back to his full attention, and the burn on his shoulder burned white hot, giving all it could to keep the force from bringing the sorcerer to atoms.
 
The explosion of light could be seen all throughout Domino.  Everyone, to some extent, looked up and puzzled at what it was that had just happened.
 
In an alleyway, a bound and gagged Mokuba Kaiba was only partially paying any attention to the five robed men who had kidnapped him, not having a clue what their constant muttering was about.  All his thoughts were inward, trying to find a proper escape route.  After a moment, he turned his head skyward, and was momentarily blinded when the flash came.
 
As the sky cleared, all five of the robed men rubbed at their eyes, shaking off the bright spots.  Once it was over, they turned to the sky, staring up at the Kaibacraft 7 and working out the meaning of what had just taken place.

And then, as one, the men threw their arms in the air and shouted, "Yatta!"
 
0000000
 
Three beds, side by side, were filled in the Kaibacraft 7's medical bay.  The one on the left contained the comatose form of Ashford Clive; the one on the right, covered by a sheet, held the late Maximillian Pegasus.  The middle bed, meanwhile, was where the medical staff had deposited Logos.
 
Eyes wide, the catatonic man gave no hint other than his pulse and breathing that he wasn't a corpse.  Not a single movement came from him, not a single twitch.  His eyes stared mindlessly at the ceiling, not blinking even once.
 
Then there came the bright flash, filling the medical bay fully.  Logos didn't so much as twitch, as his mind was gone and couldn't register it.
 
But a small smile crossed his lips nonetheless.

0000000

Ishizu bolted upright, as if nothing had happened.  Her arm stung with the motion, pulling on the IV that was in her arm to prevent malnutrition while in her temporary coma. 

Even in the light of day, a beacon lit up the sky, showing through the window of her room.  Unless a nuclear device had gone off (which was not a long stretch away from the truth), only a Shadow Game could produce that light. 

Even her husband's technology could not mimic that authenticity, though he would like to think so.  Looking hard, Ishizu could spot a black mark in the distance, indicating that even a shadow cloud could be pierced… no, ripped apart by the blast.   

What the fate of those within was, though, was certain.  Her necklace told her that.  Once she was given clearance to leave this place, Ishizu was going back.

0000000

Seskera opened his eyes, adjusting out of the blinding light to scan his surroundings, even though he knew there would be nothing to see.  The sorcerer dropped his guard as he saw the remains of his dragon.  After expending its energy, the monster was now a large brittle shell of chalk white dust, which kept its recognizable shape for an instant before crumbling into nothingness.  The black lightning had receded, and Seskera finally began to relax… until he realized a small figure still stood among the clearing dust.
   
“I admit that was impressive,” complimented a powerful voice in the dark, “and if he had been alone, you might have been the winner of your sick little game.” 

Across the field, Derik awkwardly patted himself down to make sure he was unhurt.  He decided to ignore the slight orange of his own drying blood on his palm that was quickly darkening to maroon. 

On the side lines Yugi, Yami, and Marik each had their Millennium Items drawn.  “You may control the rules of this Shadow Duel,” Yugi drilled, “but those rules bind you as well as your opponent.  By using that card, you gave us permission to even the odds by protecting both ourselves and your opponent.”  Yami nodded in agreement.  “And now that we have that leverage, it would be very unwise to resurrect your dragon, lest you give us another chance to do much more then cast a spell of protection.”

Throughout the turn of events, Seskera never let an emotion show, save for arrogant confidence.  “Look at him,” Seskera challenged, not even bothering to point.  “This duel is wearing on his mind as well as his body.  My cards can - and will - break him.  Leverage or not, he is still my opponent.  Your combined powers mean nothing in a battle you are not fighting.”

Every spectator looked at each other for a solution.

Derik could tell that he was right; he was not going to last another three turns under those kinds of blows.  He looked out at the sidelines.  “Please,” he asked, looking to his father for help, “please help me...” 

Yugi's heart felt crushed between a vice, and he was left with the hopelessness of the situation.  “Seskera!” he thundered. “I have an idea.  I'll bet my Slifer the Sky Dragon on the duel's outcome.  All I ask is some leniency against an opponent you care little about in the first place.” 

All were silent.  Even Seskera was taken aback at the savory offer now before him. 

Before an agreement was made, however, Marik interrupted.  “No.  If I know Seskera, I have something even more precious to him.”  Marik stowed his rod away before flashing another object of gold into view.  “What do you think?  A powerful rival and a primal fear crushed with one act...  I wager the Winged Dragon of Ra!”

“Deal,” Seskera drooled, barely considering the ramifications.  “If the boy wins, I claim the…” 

“The offer was extended by Marik,” Bakura countered.  “No double crosses or painful choices will be made.”  Marik nodded and made a silent oath to the shadows, sealing the contract in his very blood.     

Seskera cursed, but set his eyes on the prize.  Derik was too battered already to put up a fight.  He could win without his dragon. 

“Don't forget, though,” Seskera then stated, sliding his card into the discard pile, “Every card on the field and in our hands was destroyed.  Though that costs me my field, what are the odds you will draw a monster to attack me? And to add injury to insult, because five cards were incinerated, you lose 1,500 of your precious Life Points.”

D-3900 S-5900

Derik slid his remarkably undamaged De-Fusion and Emblem of the Dragon Destroyer into the graveyard slot on his duel disk, and carefully placed a card from his deck between his thumb and first two fingers.  His only comforting thought was that Seskera was topdecking, same as him.

“I set a monster in defense mode,” Derik stated, “and end my turn.”

Seskera drew as well, and examined his own monster.  It may not defeat it, Seskera thought, but if it can tell me what I'm fighting it won't matter.  Besides, destroying it can only benefit me.  “I summon Pixie Knight in attack mode.” (1300/200)  The fairy witch giggled from the side-saddle position she took on her broom.  “Whatever you have frantically set to defend you, my Pixie Knight will unveil its secrets.”

The adorable monster took the initiative and winked, as she took a handful of dust in her palm and blew it hard across the field in a red and pink cloud.  The hidden monster shimmered for a moment before a wailing warning siren blasted across the field, in sync with flashing red lights. (900/900)  Derik grinned as the monster imploded, conjuring a vacuum across the arena. 

“My Cyber Jar,” Derik clarified, as Pixie Knight was sucked into the void.  “This monster's immense gravitational pull eradicates all monsters near, while drawing other things closer - the top five cards in our deck, to be precise.  You may have wiped our hands clean, but now we both start fresh.” 

Seskera glared across the field. “That depends on your own luck, boy.  Hope for good cards, because I benefit from that card as much as you do.” 

Both players drew their cards, Seskera all at once, Derik one at a time.  No one on the sidelines took a breath as the tension mounted. 

Predictably, Seskera set his monsters on the plate first, leaving his surroundings to bring forth their physical form.  “Now I summon… Element Magician! (1500/1200) Element Valkyrie! (1500/1200) Element Soldier! (1500/1200) And a fourth, hidden monster in defense mode completes the set.  Your luck must be great indeed if you can combat three of my elemental creatures at once.”

Derik looked at his own cards, four of which could not be summoned by his Cyber Jar.  Taking a deep breath, he looked back at his opponent.  “Your monsters may be many in number, but their individual strength is only average.  One monster may be all I need.” 

“Then draw it, then, and face your fate,” Seskera replied.  “Remember, it is still my turn, and my three new beasts may soon continue their attack.” 

Derik gathered all of his courage, as his supporters looked on in hope.  Slowly, he turned the card to face himself.  “I have only one monster to summon,” he declared, as held breath was released from nearly every lung present.  “I set it in Defense Mode.  But remember what happened at your last assault.  Your monsters can only be used against me if I have nothing defending me, and even then, they must be able to destroy it.  Bring your assault if you are confident enough to try.” 

Seskera gnashed his teeth, but knew the boy to be right.  Still, the other card in his hand would let him gain the upper hand, if only he had the means to play it.  “My turn ends, then.  I must admit that I'm curious as to whether your confidence will allow you to attack me.” 

“I have every intention of doing just that,” Derik countered, “but first I require a sacrifice.  I'm using my Skilled White Magician…” (1700/1900)

Seskera took slight comfort in the fact that he had not sent his own monsters to attack an enemy they could not have beaten. 

“…to summon Chaos Command Magician in attack mode,” Derik finished.  (2400/1900) 

The holy mage appeared kneeling with a determined expression before bursting and becoming reborn as a new, darker being, its jade armor glowing with chaotic might. 

“How does it feel, Seskera,” Marik taunted from the sidelines, “to have the chaotic forces you control be used against you?” 

Seskera never took his eyes from the new threat of a monster.  Derik and the chaos magician took similar stances, and even the determined expressions were the same.  He didn't let the commentary go unanswered though.  “You forget that card was mine before this child robbed the organization of that powerful card.” 

The sorcerer didn't shift his gaze, but shifted the target of his words, now goading his opponent into an assault.  “Bring on your attack now,” Seskera hissed.  “All of my monsters are at the mercy of your new beast.  The damage of its black magic will feel like scratching at an insect bite.”  He paused for a moment to ponder the thought.  “Come to think of it, that's all any of you are to me.  No more then bothersome fleas that need nothing more then a bath to get rid of, and you know that I wield the force of water, young Motoh.  Now attack and see just how far into the darkness you can go!” 

Derik had finally had enough.  No matter the intelligence of the situation, he was determined not to do anything his opponent told him out of spite alone.  “Oh, will you just shut up?  Chaos Command Magician, atta-” He then stopped to think.  Wait... what if he wants me to destroy that thing?  Chaos Command Magician's ability protects it from targeted effects, but if it's something untargeted - like my Cyber Jar - then I'm in trouble.  “Cancel that,” he said.

“Has the power of the shadows frightened you into paralysis, Derik?” Seskera said tauntingly.

“No, they haven't,” Derik replied.

“Then prove it!  Attack me already!”

The boy was about to, but once again he managed to contain his anger.  “I don't need to.  I set one card facedown and end my turn.”  He looked over the top of his three cards.

This is a dangerous game you're playing, Derik… both literally and figuratively.
 
Seskera was obviously one who was not used to being disobeyed, especially since he still held the advantage at four monsters to one.  The rage that appeared in the form of the tightening muscles at his neck confirmed that. 
 
The sorcerer held his newest draw at arm's length, attempting to be as threatening as possible.  He quickly played his newly acquired Pot of Greed, barely even recognizing the play.  Glancing at his new draws, he seemed overly pleased.  “Now, the game can truly come to a climax, young Motoh.  Once The Winged Dragon of Ra is mine, I can use the power of the Gods to pierce the Shadow Realm and bring the powers of darkness under my rule.  I admit you have performed admirably against each element in turn, but can you handle the combined forces of them all?”

Derik was not looking forward to another mouthful of sand, scorching heat, or blazing fire.  His scratches from the sand were now healed, but the rivulets of sweat still poured down his face, and his hair was untidy with sweat and dirt. 

Seskera set his card into his final monster zone, letting the gruesome form take shape.  “Beings have used sacred rites to appease the forces of nature for centuries; rain dances are one example.  But even one such as I cannot possibly learn them all.  While you use a library, I find it much easier to get the information from the source, and I happen to have the authority on the subject right here.  Don't bother to give him a hand, as he would have no use for it.  Now cower before Manju of the Ten-Thousand Hands, in attack mode!” (1400/1200)   

The gargoyle-like being rose out of a putrid cloud of smoke, grinning as each of its multiple limbs swayed back and forth like a serpent. 

“I regret to inform you that this monster will not be here for very long…” Seskera said with sadness in his voice.

No one was complaining at that.  The monster was absolutely hideous. 

“Instead I have a far more deadly monster in mind.  By using the Doriado's Blessing ritual card I gained by summoning my creature, I can sacrifice Manju himself to unite all four elements of the ancient world and unleash their full potential before you!” 

Seskera's voice echoed throughout the shadows as a fierce wind wrapped itself around the field.  Manju melted into a pool of foul slime.  Seskera wore a maniacal grin; his eyes were wide open in anticipation. 

Only then did Derik, as well as the others, realize the pool was completely circular. 

The sludge bubbled and spun, blurring into neon circles on the ground.  Different rings stopped in sequence, forming four different colored stars, circled by a ring of a corresponding color: first green, then yellow, then red, then blue.  The resulting symbol erupted with a glittering cylinder of alternating colors, each blended perfectly.  The light slowly dimmed as a small priestess appeared on her knees chanting a strange spell.  Though her stature was small, her aura was felt by all present. (1200/1400) 

Derik was unimpressed.  His Chaos Command Magician was still the biggest beast on the board.  “She may be formidable, but her power is weak.  All of your monsters will fall one by one.” 

“Derik!” Yugi shouted from the sidelines. “Get rid of her quickly!  Seskera is using her to power up all of his other monsters!”   

“Precisely,” Seskera finished, as his sorceress began loaning her power to Seskera's other beasts.  “As with my Element Doom, each of my other element monsters becomes stronger with each attribute represented on the field.”  Elements Magician, Soldier, and Valkyrie took on a confident and fierce expression with their new power.  The Valkyrie even boosted her attack score by a considerable five hundred points. 
 
Derik was confused, but Seskera filled in the blanks effectively, however arrogantly he did so: “Did you not pay attention?  Well, let me spell it out then, and listen clearly because I want to see the look on your face when I tell you.  The mage you now see is called Elemental Mistress Doriado.  Though weak as you call her, this creature can be a monster of wind, fire, earth, water, or her original representation of light.” 

The implications hit home as Seskera's triad of elementally aligned beasts loomed ominously over the field. 

“And with the final card I lay facedown,” Seskera took a pause to do so, “there is even more to contend with.”  Derik looked as Seskera bore deep into his eyes.  “Attack if you dare, but that mage is your only real chance of survival.  Once that thorn in my side is gone, you will be left with nothing.” 

Derik's group huddled with matching expressions of utmost hate as Seskera once again turned his attention to them.  “Now, my friends… can you not see why the shadows are destined to be mine?  Every force upon this Earth already answers to my command.  Two worlds will be one, and everything under the darkened skies will bow to my power.” 

No laugh of pure madness followed the announcement.  All was silent within the arena, leaving nothing to drown out Seskera's terrible threat, as it echoed across the shadows.

Coming next chapter: Seskera has turned the duel to his advantage, and it only gets worse from here.  Derik has to put all his faith in his cards, as they're the only things between the world and a nightmare of shadows.  All comes down to the wire in Chapter 22, "Derik, World's Guardian"…