Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Listen To Your Heart ❯ Listen To Your Heart ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Listen To Your Heart
by ShoujoFushigi

Rating: PG-13 for a character having a heart attack and dying as a result of "listening to her heart". He-he. Some spiritual juju, don't ask.

Disclaimer: I do not own YGO or "Listen To Your Heart" by D.H.T.

A/N: OK, here we go. One-shot.


LISTEN TO YOUR HEART




Mai Valentine was a woman with a dilemma. Three men were after her, and it was time to choose one.

I know there's something in the wake of your smile
I get a notion from the look in your eyes, yeah

First off, there was Joey. When Bandit Keith stole one of his entry cards in Duelist Kingdom, she gave him hers, since she was already out of the tournament. He went on and took second place! And boy, did he repay his dues in Battle City! He protected her from Ra's gigantic fireball, even though she went to the Shadow Realm anyway. But now, Joey was conviced that they were over. Done. And he moved on to another girl.

Then there was Marik. He was the one that actually sent her to the Shadow Realm, but there were a couple of times that he smiled at her kinda creepily. And he toyed with her mind, which not only meant he had some sort of feelings for her, but that he was not a good choice. Besides, there was no way of telling where that boy might be.

You've built a love, but that love falls apart
Your little piece of heaven turns too dark

Then there was Varon. Almost right after she met him, her whole life went out of control almost. But it was worth it. That little piece of time set her hidden wild side free. For the first time in her life, she didn't feel like a little fledgling. She was a full-grown bird, like the Harpie Lady card she had in her deck.

It seemed like she was going to choose Varon, but there was one problem.

He was dead.

There was a terrible accident soon after DOOM ended. Allister and Varon were fighting over God-knows-what in some car. At the time, Allister was driving when he took a threat a little too seriously.

:Flashback:

"I'm driving. I'll kill us."

"Fine. I'd rather die."

"HOW MANY GODDAMN TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU, SHE DOESN'T- Fine. If that's what you want, I'm crashing this car."

:End Flashback:


Listen to your heart
When he's calling for you
Listen to your heart
There's nothing else you can do
I don't know where you're going
And I don't know why
But listen to your heart
Before you tell him goodbye


Rex was also in the car with them. He managed to survive with only a few minor injuries, but both Allister and Varon were killed instantly.

Mai began to think about the last thing Varon ever said. "I'd rather die." Was he really so screwed up in the head that it had gotten to the point where he was suicidal?

Her thoughts changed to right after she learned of Varon and Allister's deaths. She was in bed for almost a week. Once, when Téa was over, Mai tried to kill herself by taking a LOT of aspirin.

:Flashback:

"Mai? What's going on?" No answer. "Are you OK?" A faint saying of "Damn childproof caps.." is heard. "OK, Mai, I'm coming in there."

At that point, Téa saw a horrible sight. Mai's mouth was practically stuffed with pills, and she was about to swallow them!

Sometimes you wonder if this life is worthwhile
The precious moments are all lost in the tide, yeah

Téa began trying to choke Mai a little bit to get the pills out of her mouth.

"What are you trying to do, kill me?"

"What are YOU trying to do, sleep?"

Mai then just crouched down and buried her face in her hands. "You're really bumming out about this. Are you sure you're OK?" Téa asked.

"I don't know what's going on with me. I don't think I'll ever get over this."

:End Flashback:


They're swept away, and nothing is what it seems
The feeling of belonging to your dreams

At that moment, Mai's left arm started hurting and she felt really tight chest pain. The next thing she saw was a bright light and a couple of dead friends and relatives. Then, all of the sudden, it seemed like a hand appeared out of the sky, just within her reach.

"Take my hand," the voice said in a familiar accent. Knowing who was beckoning her, she took it.

An hour later...

Joey happened to be walking right outside Mai's apartment complex when he saw two police cars and an ambulance. All of Joey's friends were there and even his little sister was crying, so he knew something bad happened.

"Hey, Yug. What the heck is going on?" Joey asked his friend. "Joey, Mai had a heart attack."

Serenity continued sobbing. Then Joey's new girlfriend, Natashu, told him the rest of the news.

"Téa found Mai on the floor of her apartment. She called an ambulance and they determined that she had a heart attack. I'm sorry, Joey, but Mai is dead."

Listen to your heart
When he's calling for you
Listen to your heart
There's nothing else you can do
I don't know where you're going
And I don't know why
But listen to your heart
Before you tell him goodbye


A/N: No flames, please.