Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Identity ❯ Hasty Partings ( Chapter 19 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

az: I thought I remembered stating that I wanted to make a Yugi/Anzu pairing. But you know... I gave it a thought. It's hard... so don't have hopes too high for them...


Disclaimer: I don't own Yugioh manga nor did I own the anime spare the DVDs and my DM deck that I so much treasure until the end of time. If I OWNED Yugioh... Takashi Sorimachi will be my partner in crime!! Lol…. Characters and original excerpts from the fic are copyrights of Kazuki Takahashi.


Chapter 19: Hasty partings

Written by Azzie/Az @ Alienna Azuani @ Yami_Azzie

Jyounouchi stared at Yugi in disbelief. 'Yu... Yugi!! What're you saying?!! I understand about all that you said and now all of us could remember again about everything and that was thanks to you for straightening this up. But why must you leave..?!! After Atemu had left for the netherworld... now you are leaving us?!! You... can't!!', he exclaimed as Honda and Anzu cried in surprise.

Tears filled Anzu's eyes as she glanced between Yugi, Kaiba and Ryou's determined faces. 'You guys... don't tell me that this is all true...', she gasped helplessly as Honda shook his head. 'You're kidding...!! Yugi, tell me that this is a lie!! You CANNOT leave us like this!!', he cried in vain.

Yugi merely looked at them coldly as he recollected all his DM cards and duel disk into his bag. 'This is not a lie. I had no intention of fooling everybody today...', he said as he looked up to them. '..I'll be following my father to Egypt to fix all of this and bury the sennen items again. And I guess I will definitely be staying there for a very long time...'

'Yup... and I'm going with Yugi all the way...', said Ryou as he switched roles with his Yami. '..I had always considered this as my other self's second chance to living a normal life, away from hatred and treachery... even after realizing that the events before were only illusions. I've always thought that the other me was real... that the sennen ring brought him back. And I've considered this as a chance to make peace with him. But illusions are still illusions, and this other self of mine is just a memory of him...', said the lad as he continued, '...so, I've decided with Kaiba-kun to follow Yugi along and help him fix everything. It's time to let go of the illusions...'

'...but you can't...!!', gasped Jyounouchi again, desperately as Yugi's body shook with frustration. 'Then... to keep me always by your side, would you even go as far as keeping me trapped here in the chains of friendship, never letting me to continue forging my own destiny? Answer me... Jyounouchi-kun!! That time... even when you guys were reluctant to let Atemu go, you did. He WAS supposed to be my past self, 3000 years ago, don't you realize? I admitted that at the time I too was reluctant to let go but not now. I realized that he HAD to go!! Only then, that I could finally be my true self...'

'Yugi...', Jyounouchi gasped as he, Honda and Anzu looked at him. '...If you can let him go to follow his destiny, why can't you guys let me go?!!', cried Yugi in tears as the trio was taken aback.

'That was different!! Atemu was---'

'Technically dead, is it?! So, why is that making any difference? What do you guys think I am?!! I'm your friend... but that was not supposed to be that I HAVE to be always with you guys!! I won't stand for this...!!', cried Yugi as he grabbed Kaiba's arm. 'Let's go...Seto, Bakura-kun... I had no more to say...', he said as he urged them to follow him.

Jyounouchi lurched over him and grabbed Yugi's hand harshly. 'Wait... Yugi!! I still didn't--'

Yugi winced at Jyounouchi's grasp. 'It hurts... Jyounouchi-kun!!', whispered Yugi as the blond released him immediately. Yugi took the chance to flee from the place. Anzu immediately ran off to follow him.

Kaiba glanced towards the mediocre and Honda before convincing Ryou to leave. He waved his hand towards the others. 'Ja... since this was finished, we all be taking our leave. I had other business to attend to, don't you know? Apart of watching over my company... I have to make sure my theme park on the USA running smoothly... And man!! I AM tired of these long speeches, you know…', he said offhandedly.

'Yeah... I'll go with you. We still had to discuss this with Malik and Ishizu-san on the line... and of course, Akira-san too...', said Ryou as Kaiba nodded. '...aah! And we should fetch Yugi. No way that we'd leave him out of the discussion...'

'...You guys...'

'...had something to do with this, do you...?!'

Kaiba turned around towards Jyounouchi before brushing Ryou away. 'Bakura... you go first to my car and wait for me and Yugi there. We'll come later...' Ryou nodded as he left. Kaiba turned his attention towards Jyounouchi and Honda.

Jyounouchi and Honda smirked as they thought that they had guessed right. 'It's true, isn't it? You can't stand seeing Yugi with us and when the troubles happened and you two got closer, you want to split us apart...', said Jyounouchi as Honda added, 'That was unforgivable for you!! Yugi belonged with us and you know it!! You can't take him away from us...!!'

'Leaving Domino City was Yugi's own decision!! I did not force him to do anything... But the matter of the sennen items and him is my business too. That's why I've decided to help him.', said Kaiba harshly as the other two frowned...

**

Yugi ran and ran as he came to a stop on a park. He let himself fall beside an oak tree and just lay there quietly. 'Forgive me... Jyounouchi-kun. I just had to do this...', he gasped as he contemplated his own feelings. I'd rather do this that having the past repeated again...

'Yugi...!! Wait...'

Yugi quickly wiped away the tears on his face and started to leave again.

'Wait!! Stop... Yugi!!', cried Anzu again, this time nearer. Yugi paused in mid-step. 'You can't... really mean it? Those words... our friendship does not mean just simple ties of friendship to you!! All this time... wasn't it that this friendship that helped you overcomes all the hardships? All those times when you and Atemu almost perished in your duels...?'

Yugi let out a soft sigh. 'I... haven't forgotten that...'

'So why...?'

'Don't you get it? This time, it is my journey alone. Kaiba and Ryou understand that, but they've followed as they felt that this is a part of their duty. As this matter involved the sennen items...'

'But couldn't we...'

'No!! This time, I won't let any of you coming along. This task does not have anything to do with you guys. This is none of your business!!'

'Who said that it wasn't? You---'

Yugi turned around towards her and smiled. 'Right now, who are you seeing in front of you? Is it my past self, Atemu or Yugi Mutou of the present that you are seeing? Do you still bear that old thought of not wanting to let the other me go? Haii… Seto's right at some point, the past was not so important. The past was still there, but only the evidence of what that has been achieved. Life must go on, don't you think so? And I've decided to start all over again...'

Anzu stared wide open at him in surprise. 'Yugi... did you decide to leave because of me? I--'

Yugi's eyes flared after hearing the statement. Anger rushed into his mind as he tried to compose his words. 'Everything. doesn't. have. to be. because of you!! I had long acknowledged the one whom you liked. But that person was long dead and was my former. I had accepted that and now you should!! Perhaps with that thought too, that I've decided to leave. I want you guys to forget myself of 3000 years ago. That was my final decision... I don't desire to dwell anymore into the memory of darkness. It should have been better if you guys never knew about him. It's easier...', said Yugi with an air of finality as he started to leave again.

'Yugi, I--', cried Anzu desperately.

'Hadn't you told me that you wanted to enter a dance school in New York? Isn't that your dream? Well, this is mine and my destiny that I wanted to make. Please respect this wish of mine and I hoped that you'll get to your dreams too. If there is a chance of meeting again, the time will decide...', said Yugi as shove his hand towards her. 'Goodbye... I don't think we'll meet again after this. I had a lot to prepare for our departure.'

Anzu shook his hand briefly as Yugi's cellphone rang. He answered it with haste. 'Umm... yeah, I'll come. I'll wait for you to pick me up. I'm at the park northeast from where you are... hmm.. okay... ja!!', said Yugi as he hung up. 'It's Seto... Well, goodbye again...', he said as he walked away.

Anzu just watched him go with heavy heart as she started to cry...

**

'That's not it!! You must have convinced him somewhat!! All those speeches of friends being not important are so like you...'

Kaiba smirked. 'You who had simple brains won't understand how his mind worked. The matter of the sennen items had nothing to do with you guys from the start. I myself would have done the same if I am at his place. Well... my time is up...', said Kaiba as he looked at his watch. He pulled out his own cellphone and started dialing some numbers. The call was connected in a matter of minutes.

'Hello, Yugi? Calmed down now?... you know that we had some more business to attend to... Hah! I'll be there, wait for me...', Kaiba wait a little while before hanging up. He glanced towards Honda and Jyounouchi. 'It's my cue to leave... So long!!', said Kaiba as he left the school yard. (Kaiba: Yeah... and good riddance!! Blame it to the author coz I'm so cruel!! Lol... az: Seto....!! X_x##)

**

Yugi stood still as the black car stopped beside him. The window on the driver's side scrolled down to reveal Seto's face. Yugi smiled as he hastened towards the other side of the car.

'Yugi...!! Wait!', called Jyounouchi as he and Honda dashed towards his direction. Yugi, as well as Seto and Bakura smirked in amusement at the determination of the two.

'What do you want... Jyounouchi-kun..?'. said Yugi, but this time not with the harshness of his previous cold tone. 'I thought I have said enough for you to understand and Seto... must have said some more...', he said again with a hint of sorrow. Anzu emerged beside Jyounouchi as she saw and heard them.

'Who do you think I am? Yugi..?! After all that we've gone through, do you still want to exclude us out? Your own friends?! I fought with you through everything... including the Do-ma organization!! I received one of the Legendary Dragon cards as proof of me being a true duelist. Is that not enough?!', cried Jyounouchi in vain.

Yugi frowned as shadows started to creep into his heart again. A jab of pain shot through his heart as he fought to overcome it. 'This... is not your battle!! It's mine... and our own trouble!! There was... will be no need for any of you to go through with... And this does not have to do with you being a true duelist!! Stop being such a pigheaded, busybody!!', said Yugi painfully. The pain grew and he stumbled on the road. Kaiba and Bakura immediately rushed out of the car to his aid.

Jyounouchi, Honda and Anzu stood dumbfounded as they tried to come closer.

'Don't come closer!!', ordered Kaiba as he lifted Yugi up. He glanced down towards Yugi in concern. 'Yugi... are you--'

'I'm fine...', croaked Yugi as he tried to reassure the two. '...just get away from here. The sooner we reseal the dark powers and the items...'ll be fine...', he whispered softly to them as Seto and Ryou helped him get into the front passenger seat. Bakura slammed the door shut as he too jumped into the back seat. Kaiba sauntered towards the driver's side of the car as he looked over towards the threesome.

'Oi... Jyounouchi!! Whether you liked it or not, Yugi and us will be leaving to solve our problems... without your help! The matter of the sennen items and Ancient Egypt had always been none of your business at start. It's just unfortunate that circumstances existed that you had to be in it in the past. Goodbye... I don't expect that we'll be seeing you in this short time. Nor any sooner...', drawled Kaiba as he jumped in and drove the car away. (Kaiba: Or we'll send a postard!!! Or two… Yugi: Seto, you ARE an idiot… Seto: Well, I learned from the best! Ryou: Sheesh, stop bullying Yugi… you!!)

Jyounouchi hung his mouth open in disbelief as Honda steamed in fury. 'It's just his own way to say 'It's none of our business' at us!! And Yugi was being insensible. He treated us like garbage after all that we've gone through!!'

'That was not it...', said Jyounouchi as Honda glared at him in surprise. '...They were covering their own actions so smoothly. Didn't you two see it when Yugi was dueling with me and just now when he fell? They were hiding something more from us... I felt that there is another sense of urgency from them, other than wanting to return the sennen items back to where they belonged. But why did Yugi tried to hide it from us?!', he said again as Honda and Anzu was silenced.

....and it was a long time before the three friends gave up on the musings and left the place of remorse.

**

~Anzu~

Yugi, Bakura-kun and Kaiba-kun had ceased coming to school since that dreadful day. The other classmates were wondering. Otogi-kun and Miho-chan had asked for them too and thankfully, they were the only ones that we had to explain for their leave, about the truth. School term will end in another week or so and Otogi-kun would also return to America when this term ended. He was still a transfer student anyway. But I wondered about the three, where will they go after their task was over.

Though, much to say, the people that had stayed here was nothing short of a worry. Since that day, Jyounouchi-kun had been very quiet. He's still taking hurt of Yugi not letting us help him with his troubles. Or perhaps he felt sad, since Yugi also left him after Atemu did; two years ago. But this time, certainly we'll meet again... would we? At least, we know that they are still alive. And I wonder... will Yugi ever forgive me?

I admitted that I loved the pharaoh. I guess when I realized it, I've been taking him insignificant. When it was found out that Atemu was his past self and all, the damage had been done. There's nothing I could do to repent to my actions. I've hurt him deeply... at the point that when he said his leaving was not because of me, it hurts me in return. I guess it was the end of us...

--

Days before the last day of school, we received the official note from our teacher. Apparently, Yugi, Bakura and Kaiba had sent their application to leave the school. And as their grades had gone up since two years ago, the school had nothing but good praise for them. Let them out so easily without any hindrance. Also I heard that Mokuba had ceased schooling for he too will be going to his private school onward; for apparently Kaiba had wanted to bring him along for the ride.

Everyone seemed to leave us, not mentioning our Egyptian friends, who had left earlier.

Yesterday, we went to Yugi's house. The Kame Game Shop was still open. But, only Yugi's grandfather and mother were there. He told us that Yugi's father had taken him along with Bakura to Egypt, but no specific place. What startled us was that they took the journey two days ago by KaibaCorp's personal flight, without telling!! It gave us the impression that Yugi really doesn't want us to see him off.

But then again, here I am. Back at Yugi's old bedroom. His things were here still, except some of his clothes which he took along. Still no Yugi, but I don't care. I just liked to be here with his memories...

I glanced towards his desk when I noticed an envelope on his table. I picked it up. To my surprise, it was addressed to me...

[TBC]


az: Can I ask for some more reviews? Can't I? It's just fair… Oh well. I just say this for ALL the former reviewees that I had once recieved. Yeah…. I'll email you guys soon… I'll tell you guys about this. T_T…. But I don't want to be such a pusher….. T_T Oh, anyway….

Please Review!!!! T_T

Seto: or else, I'll attack you guys with my Blue Eyes!!! Triple Torpedo Bu--------rst Stream!!!

Az: ~_< *cringed* wasn't it too much?

Seto: No!!!!